Overhead Mics Only for Recording Practice?

Croc

Hi All:

I've read / heard that it is very beneficial to record drumming practice sessions for playback and critical evaluation. That said I would like to start doing so. But rather than making a relatively significant investment in mics for my rather large set, would it make more sense to invest in a decent pair of overheads for capturing practice? I don't play outside of my drum cave presently and it seems to me this would be adequate.

Thoughts / experiences? Thanks!

Yeah two overheads and I'd probably add a bass drum mic if you can afford to get the low end from it. Don't forget you'll need a mixer with usb out capabilities or a digital interface to run into the computer so you can record

Thanks folks; I do have a Steinberg UR44 running Cubase and a PC Audio mc5 laptop. The UR 44 has 4 mic preamps so two overheads, a kick and a snare mic would be easily handled.

Just 1 overhead and a kick if you want to get away cheap. You really don't need 2 overheads for a capture. Or you could use just one large diaphram condenser room mic placed like 10 feet in front of your kit if you want to get away even cheaper. It's just for critique purposes. A basic no frills capture is all you need.

For self critique you could just grab something like a Blue Snowball USB mic and place it in out in front and just grab the room sound.

Back