Drum Shed material, need help!

I wanto build a sound proof shed in my back yard but I don't want it easily broken into so I was thinking a metal shed over wood But thinking it's easier to sound proof wood then metal. I've also seen plastic sheds. But any advice on what kind of shed to make?!?! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Ok so I've worked some new things and ready to move on. I figured out the split air duct thing so there's only a tube going threw the shed and so I have airconditioning and heat and the shed is insulated and has with wiring for lights and for plugging in amps. I think all I need now is the soundproof materials. I was watching Todd suchermans methods and mechanics and where he shows off his drum room u can see this foam zigzag type stuff. Does anyone know what that is or where to get it??

Last edited:
Few things you need to think about before you go any farther is budget, also heating/cooling and electric. Don't want your kit out there when it's 90* outside it will easily get to 100-120 inside without some sort of a/c and same for the winter you'll need heat. Heck even in the spring you will need some way to get air movement.

You could build the metal or wood shed and put insulation in the walls then come in a few inches and build a wood frame all the way around with drywall on both sides and insulation in the middle to help control sound. Keep in mind nothing is truly sound proof. Either way you are going to need to put some sort of secure solid entry door on the thing for safety with a lock and deadbolt.

Might also need to check with your insurance carrier to see if your kit would be covered under your homeowners if you leave it out there.

Find the book:

Keep the Peace!: The Musician's Guide to Soundproofing by Mark Parsons.

You'll be glad you did.

I think Konaboy is right on track. You can build a "room in a room" out of simple studs, separated by 1" or so. A little R13 fiberglass in the wall cavities. Similar in ceiling and floor. Double 5/8" drywall for mass on walls and ceiling. Perhaps double 3/4" OSB for the floor. You might consider a damping material between those layers.

After that, the issue is any penetrations in the drywall. Lighting, ventilation door and window. All of these would constitute flanking paths and you'd want a plan for those ahead of time.

That's my .02, and perhaps someone else has a comment or something to add.

Back