Favourite Drummer, Bass player Combo

The first that come to mind...

Avishai Cohen with Jeff Ballard
Greg Cohen with Joey Baron
Ray Brown with Ed Thigpen

Currently - Dom Howard and Chris Wolstenholme

Back in the 80's - Roger Tayolor and John Taylor
Seriously, Duran Duran's rhythm section was great

A relatively unheard of combo, but with Amazing syncopation, Ken mary on drums and Brian Bromberg on bass. Especially on the c.d.s' 'Big Bang" by Magdallan. and "Electric Warrior/Acoustic Saint" by Lanny Cordola.

How 'bout...

Chad Smith and Flea? ;-)

Last edited:
I'm surprised.

My initial vote would be for Billy Sheenan and Gregg Bissonnette from the DLR days. Both powerhouse musicians with the most undoubted connectivity through and through.

Me and the bass player in both of the bands i'm in. He is only 16, but he has a plethora of equipment. 3 cabs, 2 heads (one of which is an orange) and over $1000 in pedals. Usually when we play live, his cab is right behind me.

How about Chris Squire and Bill Bruford

I think they were really good together, but Squire probably goes with Alan White more. Even though Bruford was on Squire's solo album I read they didn't get along well together and I think that was one of the reasons Bruford left Yes (don't quote me on that). And after that every Yes album since has featured White and Squire. I also remember reading somewhere but cant remember who said it, but I think it was Squire, that he clicked much better with White than Bruford. It's killing me, I can't remember who said it or where I read it.

Gotta list...

Billy Cobham and Rick Laird.

They were on the first 4 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums (1971 - 1973)

Good free jazz / improv namechecks here - Palle Nilsson-Love / Ingebrigt Haker Flaten and Hamid Drake / William Parker are my particular favourites of the current bunch.

I'll add Michael Wertmüller and Marino Pliakas. Saw them backing up Peter Brötzmann (brain-melting) and KK Null (nuclear).

www.myspace.com/broetzmannpliakaswertmueller

+ also: John and Rob Wright from Nomeansno - who I'm going to see in a couple of weeks. Oh yeah.

Back