1/32 notes

paradiddle777

Hi all, Im back on the kit after 10 years and doing well, I mean I still have my groove / feel and my 1/16 notes and rolls are clean and tight sounding good but I want my 1/32 's back. I started with 1/16 paradiddles, doublets, triplets, quadplets with just my left because its easy with my right being thats my dominant hand. I'm playing left and then throwin in some right for balance, Im doing this about a half hr at a time or until my left wrist gets sore and/or weak but Im beginning to feel the left split like I want. Any better ideas out there ? Or should I just keep workin that left. I always feared a dominant hand so its not really sloppy on rolls or 1/16ths its more that loose grip bounce return I refer to "splitting" I do like 8 Left handed-1/16 beats followed with a RR. I hope ya know what I mean Im probably not using the right terminology, any help appreciated. Jim

I asked my teacher about this last week and he recommended doing some exercises like this:

H |x-x-x-x-|
S |-oo-oooo|

H |x-x-x-x-|
S |-oooo-o-|

Keep quarters on your hats and play different eighth note variations with the left. Do whatever you want on the bass. Furthermore, you can double time your left, still keeping quarters on hats:

H |x---x---x---x---|
S |-oo-oooo-oo-oooo|

H |x---x---x---x---|
S |-oooo-o--oooo-o-|

I hope that makes sense. By the way, your desire for higher speeds is irrelevant to note values. It's not like 32nd notes are locked in to a particular BPM, so saying you want to achieve 32nd note rolls doesn't tell us much. I suppose it implies higher speeds...

Welcome back to the throne.

Work in double strokes or diddles. It saves energy and it sounds basically the same.

Back