Opinions On Using Diplomat Clear As Resonate Head

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
I have not had any diffuculties using Remo Reso or Evans but I am curious what the effect would be with using Remo Diplomat. I recently purchase a Ludwig brass piccolo and thought perhaps that it may be a good move. Thanks in advance if you have any thoughts on this topic.

Cheers

Based on your reference to the Ludwig Brass piccolo, I would assume you're talking about snare side heads. A general rule of thumb is that a thinner head will be more sensitive (take less force to get it moving) and a thicker head. I recommend 2mil for small ensemble jazz/lighter music, 3mil as a go-to for almost anything and then 5mil for the heaviest playing or those looking for a drier snare sound.

Cheers!

Are you talking about using an ordinary clear Diplomat (7 mil) or a Diplomat snare side head (2 mil)?

The regular Diplomat will not be very sensitive or give a lot of snare response but will give the drum body. Diplomat snare side heads give extremely sensitive snare response, but to my ear the snare doesn't have a lot of body or midrange punch. So, it depends on what you want from the drum...

Based on your reference to the Ludwig Brass piccolo, I would assume you're talking about snare side heads. A general rule of thumb is that a thinner head will be more sensitive (take less force to get it moving) and a thicker head. I recommend 2mil for small ensemble jazz/lighter music, 3mil as a go-to for almost anything and then 5mil for the heaviest playing or those looking for a drier snare sound.

Cheers!

Thanks. I can use this info.

Back