DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:47 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Seeing bad bands

Saw another bad band last night. My honey and I went for dinner. The guitarist is noodling the whole time. Ugh. The drummer got his set new in 1973, black oyster pearl Luds. He said he had been playing in bands for 33 years. He sure didn't sound it. Crap tuned drums and I couldn't hear his kick drum, even though I was 10 feet in front of it. He played a Motown song, which is music from his youth, so bad.....

They have 3 vocalists, but no harmonies. Any multiple vocals were unison. Bad unison. How amateur sounding. They were so loud in this little tiny room, it was re-diculous. The guitarist had a cigarette dangling from his mouth most of the time, with the ash really long. I really hate that. I couldn't stop looking and getting steamed up. Plus he was dressed in the rattiest ugly grey T shirt he could find. And he looked just like Beavis, scummy. He was a weird dude too. The singer was getting into it just way too much for what he was singing. The music drowned out the vocals. They went on late, and were drinking beer and smoking cigarettes onstage.

The drummer played trad grip with gloves on in this tiny little room that held 7 tables. He was way too loud. The drummer butchered a good deal of the songs, and sounded OK on some, but played at one volume the whole night, too loud. The one vocalist was shaking a maraca on the 1 and 3 instead of the 2 and 4. Their song choice was OK I guess, but man were they garage-ey sounding.
The one chick in the band books for the venue they were playing in. She won't book my band in there anymore, even though we've tried. We used to play there before she took over booking duties. Why they are using her is beyond me. She always gives us some story. Meanwhile, she plays in there once a month, and all her friends bands get in there too. She looks like a dirty slut, and I don't mean that in a good way lol.

Honestly the standards are dropping too low. I would love to see a great band near me. I would be the first one to be gushing at how great they were. It's sad, it makes me embarrassed to say that I'm a musician too.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Seeing bad bands

Ouch, man.

I know that feel.
I'm certainly not the best drummer by far but seeing a bad band....think that they're good?
And perform like they're rockstars when they're still just a garage band with bad habits and perhaps a dream?

I mean, I don't mind bad bands as much when it's amateur night and they're open to learn, but from what you're describing it sounds like they think they're the hottest thing in town..

Anyway, don't let the bad beats of others mess with the good beats of yours :)
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Anthony Amodeo

you mentioned 3 of my musical pet peeves in one post

1) drummers who wear gloves

2) multiple vocalists singing in unison with no harmony

3) musicians clapping (or shaking a maraca in this case) on 1 & 3

all 3 of those drive me absolutely batz while watching a band
Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator - Mayor

You need to start a blog called the Bucks County Band Beat and put your reviews in there. Let the public know what is going on. Tell it like it is.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 09-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

I think a post about "what not to do" in a band would be valuable info.
I'm still getting back into the swing of things and value the forum members' experience and criticism of what [amateur] bands sound like and their drummers' techniques.
In this one alone, I am reminded not to play at one volume!
Please, more posts about "what not to do"!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Senior Administrator

i feel your pain.

the only way bands on the circuit will improve is if pubs start paying less as a basic rate and then giving bonuses for the good bands and good performances.

it annoys me that my band brings a great pa, great equipment, lighting - we get the crowd heaving - girls pour beer down their fronts - multiple encors. we are never late, never drunk or stoned and have a reputation that draws a crowd ... and when i sign the invoice book at the end of the night, while the gaffer is telling me how much better we were than last weeks band, i see they got paid the same as us. grrrrrrr.

fortunately this doesn't happen everywhere but still.

j
Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The room they were playing in attracts some well to do clientele. It's a restaurant that was built in the 1700's and has been a fixture in that town forever. It's a nice place to take a great woman on a date, not just some shot and beer place.

Its the standards that irk me. They are way too low, with the great majority of bands I see. Too many musicians are not even aware that there's a whole list of things you shouldn't do onstage. I'll get on my soapbox here and start the list.

Do not noodle between songs.
Do not let on what song you are doing before doing it.
Adjust your volume to the room. Some guys just play one way, that's it.
Have some class onstage.
I'm sorry but alcohol and cigs onstage turns me off. If you have to drink, don't let it be seen, JMO.
Don't dress like a homeless person. Be clean. Take some pride. At least wear a decent shirt.
Drummer was drinking beer, I know this may not be agreed with here but I take a lot of points off for that because of the effect on the motor skills. His time dragged, ugh.
Vocalist had wireless stuff, he was walking all around, but did not know enough to realize that the sound was too much for the room, and for conversation. They had a bad mix. A band NEEDS to adjust their PA so they have a pleasant sounding mix. It's kind of critical.

Feel free to keep adding. The drummer did not suck, he just had a bad tone, no dynamics, bad feel on the majority of stuff, filled too much, with very pedestrian sounding fills. But he did play the songs`and started them and ended them and it wasn't a trainwreck so he didn't suck lol.

The bar could stand some raising. If that band has a website, I just may make my opinion known to them.
My honey already sent an email to the establishment slamming their band choice, and how unprofessional they were.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with your points Larry.

Only a couple places around here can get away with that and I avoid them. Overall, since there's not many places left to play for money, you bring that kind of bogus crap to a decent club who is paying you, and it'll be your last time for sure.

Not that it's any excuse because people should always bring their best self forward but I do think it's a reflection though of lack of paying gigs. The bands who would otherwise not be able to get in the door have little to no fight for a booking so the results speak for themselves.

100% guaranteed to see top shelf local jazz people playing here since it's mainly Eastman School faculty running the band who have comparably skilled mates playing with them. There's not many of these gigs either but the bands are generally always professional and smoking hot.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

My biggest pet peve is guitar players that need to tune by ear because they think they are too good to use a tuner. IMO there is nothing more unprofessional and annoying than having to listen to them tune up every few songs, ba ding ding ding, de bong bong bong, etc etc, geese just get an inline tuner with mute or a clip on and a volume pedal please and thank you.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 PM

I hate the people who tap the tamberines, or however you spell it. I don't even like the ones that attach to your hi hats. As far as the gloves go, I dispise anything that seperates the sticks from the hands. Zildjian's dip crap, gloves, the tape, piss on all that. If you have trouble gripping the stick, get the ones that are in the nude finish.

I don't care what anyone says. Anything you put on the stick messes with the balance of the stick. And that is an old school No No.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:26 PM

I can sure go along with most everything the OP says ... but gloves?

One of the most expressive and dynamic drummers I know is 60+ years old, he can groove down to a whisper,
always plays and dresses the part, been doing it since 1965.

The last few years wearing Zildjian gloves has helped him keep on gigging to the delight of all that hear him ...

Last edited by Kudzu Monroe; 09-02-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post

1) drummers who wear gloves...
Why ?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Why ?
Popcorn time already?:)

Steve B
Old 09-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Popcorn time already?:)

Steve B
Hehehe... do you like your popcorn sweet or salty? :)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:54 AM
Renegade

My peeve is bands being too loud for the room - everyone wants to pretend they're in a damn stadium, even in a pokey bar. If people want to dance there's a certain amount of energy needed to get them moving, but you don't need so much that everyone gets tinnitus. It's like the status game where the headline act is always louder than the support ... so then it becomes a game of louder = higher status band.

But it's musically counter-productive to play loud in small rooms (unless you're covering up for mistakes) ... like drowning your meal with chilli to the point that you can't taste it properly.

You can play with guts, verve, aggression, heart, soul and power - and even be noisy and brash - without being deafening.

Man, I love being an old fart :)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

Why didn't you just leave?

I'd have just left instead of listening to that crap and then complaining about it.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
...The guitarist had a cigarette dangling from his mouth most of the time, with the ash really long. I really hate that. I couldn't stop looking and getting steamed up. Plus he was dressed in the rattiest ugly grey T shirt he could find. And he looked just like Beavis, scummy. He was a weird dude too...
Terrific eye for detail! I felt like I was there with you, amazed at how these people could fail so much on so many levels - instruments, volume, appearance, talent, dress, odor, habits, song selection.

I actually like seeing bands like this because it makes me feel better about myself and it's fun to talk smack about a truly terrible band. And there are plenty of them out there.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
They have 3 vocalists, but no harmonies. Any multiple vocals were unison.
You saw Bananarama?! Cool, I love their cover of "Na Na Hey Hey...", sorta takes on a different meaning when the girl sings "kiss him goodbye"... :)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post

1) drummers who wear gloves
I don't know about that one.

Some people have more active sweat glands in their hands than other people.
Some people suffer from abnormally sweaty palms.
Some people have skin conditions, scars from burn injuries, or other injuries.

A couple of years ago, Greg Bisonette disclosed his thumb playing football with his kids, and had to wear a glove to get through a tour he had already committed to until his thumb healed.

Stuff happens.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
My biggest pet peve is guitar players that need to tune by ear because they think they are too good to use a tuner. IMO there is nothing more unprofessional and annoying than having to listen to them tune up every few songs, ba ding ding ding, de bong bong bong, etc etc, geese just get an inline tuner with mute or a clip on and a volume pedal please and thank you.
Plus ten!

As for some of the others - I couldn't care less if someone wears gloves.

I don't mind if a band drinks onstage, as long as they don't get drunk and play poorly. In fact, sometimes it adds to the comradery and probably helps the bar sell drinks, depending on the venue.

But I agree with all of your comments about the quality of musicianship and sound, Larry. I find it is the RARE band that truly sounds good around here, even if the musicians are good.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Silver Member

Here's an odd one.

I saw a band playing on a Thursday at a pretty popular spot, and they were awful. The drummer was taking little drum solos between every song, which he had plenty of time to do because they were taking five minutes or so between songs. It was all highly unentertaining, to the point that my bass player has eternally refused to enter any room they are playing in.

Here's where it gets goofy, I saw this same band about a month later at the same venue, and they were excellent. No screwing around between songs, they were all playing competently and nailing songs that most other bands in town would never touch (a good slice of the Tool Aenima album), and bringing some creativity and visual touches that really made them stand out among local cover bands.

I don't know if they had some revelation or if they were just messing with us on that particular Thursday, but it taught me a lesson that sometimes a second look is worthwhile.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Anthony Amodeo
This message has been deleted by Anthony Amodeo.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Senior Consultant

Some more of my peeves to throw in there as well:

1. Drummers that take off their shirts. You aren't that sweaty, and you're not that built.

2. Poor internal dynamics from the drummer . Cymbals too loud, almost as loud as snare. Cymbals don't need to be hit as hard as drums.

3. Bands that bring WAY too much gear for the gig. I saw a band last year that was only allowed to play three songs for their slot because they took forever setting up their stage show which included a double bass rack setup and enough stage gear for a small arena gig.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
2. Poor internal dynamics from the drummer . Cymbals too loud, almost as loud as snare. Cymbals don't need to be hit as hard as drums.
In every thread about cymbal sizes here, the dominant attitude is, "I only play 18" or larger cymbals.". Well hey, if you only own 18 and 20 inch crashes, yeah, you might have some trouble with dynamics. Maybe there needs to be more of a trend against getting the largest wheel of bronze possible.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
In every thread about cymbal sizes here, the dominant attitude is, "I only play 18" or larger cymbals.". Well hey, if you only own 18 and 20 inch crashes, yeah, you might have some trouble with dynamics. Maybe there needs to be more of a trend against getting the largest wheel of bronze possible.
i agree. i think it is because many folks look at what their favourite drummer uses and then buy the same for themselves - forgetting the difference in the size of venue and the front of house staff that they have between themselves and the aforementioned favourite drummer. phil rudd's cymbal set up is not going to fly at the local little pub.
j
Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 PM

The S-I-Z-E of a given cymbal is not nearly so important as the type, and how it's used

Many of the much loved greats playing acoustic jazz used large cymbals, even today
the likes of Stanton Moore can use large cymbals with perfect control. This is way different
than bashing on a big set of Paiste Alphas in your local club.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Some more of my peeves to throw in there as well:

3. Bands that bring WAY too much gear for the gig.
I'd just like to chime in here with a little story. Quite recent actually.

Background; Our band is gear heavy compared to the average for the venues we play. We carry a fully trussed pro lighting rig & substantial touring PA. This gear is compact for what it delivers, but still significant.

We played an out of town gig that we filled beyond capacity. I'd estimate there were 500+ in the venue. Just before we were due to open, I was approached by a member of a local band of minor reputation. His stance was aggressive. He said "WTF are you guys playing at, f^&%ing rock stars?" I said calmly, "no, just putting on a show". He responded, "well, if you could actually f&&^%ing play, you wouldn't need all that s*&*t". I retorted, "we let the audience decide if there's value in what we do. The landlord (venue owner) informs me that the last time you played here, you did so in front of 50 people, & 30 of those were regulars. Look around you, dickhead". He left the building ;)

I generally agree that excessive gear without any rationale behind it is pretty pointless, but when each piece performs a purpose & delivers on it's real estate, that's fine by me. We buck the trend, & that brings about uninformed critique, but it's us who have the last laugh. We have 4 times the number of gig offers than we're prepared to take, & when we do play, we get at least double the going rate.

I'm just back after a long weekend at a local rally. Our band were heading the bill, but I was also engaged to provide PA & lighting for the 2 night event. People compared our show to previous years efforts, & the organisers said they'd never had so many positive responses, & have already taken a record number of advance bookings for next year. The other bands were blown away by the treatment too, & their fans all said their favourite band both looked & sounded amazing compared to normal. If done right, that extra effort is rewarded all round. We received a £250 ($400) bonus :)

Coincidentally Larry, every band at this event were superb! Every drummer really knew their job, so sometimes it works the other way, & that's to be celebrated. That said, even though the other drummers were good, oh man, did I have some crappy tuned spin dryer bass drums to sort out. That's for another thread ;)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'd just like to chime in here with a little story. Quite recent actually.

Background; Our band is gear heavy compared to the average for the venues we play. We carry a fully trussed pro lighting rig & substantial touring PA. This gear is compact for what it delivers, but still significant.
Bring lots, use what you need, its always nice to have spares in the trailer just in case, plus id much rather hear a band playing thru a 10,000 watt PA set on 2 than a 2,000 watt PA set on 10.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

It's funny, even though the band I am ranting about pretty much murdered "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", there were still a few people who seemed oblivious and danced anyway because it is a good song. Most people either don't know the difference or don't care if the music is good or bad. Most musicians are way more sensitive to this stuff than your average civilian.

A lot of great musicians I see also think the quality of the music is the only thing that matters. While it's a matter of pride that I want the music to be heartfelt and tight, it's actually a secondary concern behind the audience entertainment factor. Entertainment has almost nothing to do with music. This is where a lot of musicians fall short. The bandleader in my main band is far and away the best musician I've ever played with. But he doesn't have many entertaining chops. He tends to educate people about music from the bandstand. Boring!

I've reached the conclusion that audiences don't want to be educated from the stage (this song was written by Hoyt Axtons sister, Mae) They want to be entertained (Hey mister are you sure your heart will survive dancing with those two smokin hot women? Do you need any help?)

Music can take you most of the way, but to really connect with the audience, you have to venture outside the music and get personal with the crowd. This is lost on most front people I see. Too bad, it's easy. Just focus the attention on a worthy crowd member and just go with the flow. Picking on people is great. Spreading the attention around works great, everybody is a star. That's what front people's Job #1 really is.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's funny, even though the band I am ranting about pretty much murdered "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", there were still a few people who seemed oblivious and danced anyway because it is a good song. Most people either don't know the difference or don't care if the music is good or bad. Most musicians are way more sensitive to this stuff than your average civilian.
This is one reason why your average cover band should not bother being perfectionist in philosophy. Its not necessary to get a crowd interested in your music.

I've been listening to the Stones Get Yer Ya Ya's Out in my truck. A great live album, and band, but they were clearly NOT perfectionists in a live setting in 1969.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Why didn't you just leave?

I'd have just left instead of listening to that crap and then complaining about it.
It's not that black and white. We were there to support my wife's vocalist friend, who was in the band. She was the one shaking the maraca on 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4. We had dinner, stayed for one set, and were about 2 songs into second set when my honey gave me the signal that she had enough. Actually the reason I "complain" here, is for the benefit of younger less experienced members here. I bring this up to try and point out that there really are standards that should be upheld. You learn more from mistakes than your successes. I figured this was a good topic for others to safely learn from others "mistakes".

Everything I write on this forum is an attempt to raise the bar. I am always thinking of the lurkers and the newer drummers here who can hopefully glean insights from people in the trenches who have definite opinions about the state of music. This is how I give back to the endeavor I love so much. I don't complain because I'm cranky. I complain because I want to improve the state of things however I can.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Great descriptions Larry!

I felt the hair on the back of my neck standing up and I noticed I was grinding my teeth while I read that!

i fear that my being a musician has reduced my ability to enjoy alot of music.

I frequently wish I could be one of those folks oblivious on the dance floor...

...but then I hear something I truly am moved by that most would not notice...and am brought back to reality...usually with tears in my eyes at the beauty.

Next time try what I do...offer a tip to the band if they will take an extended break. (note: probably not wise when supporting a friend of a spouse...good way to end up couch surfing for a day or two)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post

i fear that my being a musician has reduced my ability to enjoy alot of music.
What a great observation. Talk about your food for thought. I'll be chewing on this for quite a bit. Get it? Chewing? Food for thought?

OK bad joke, but great ob Otto. Bit of a pitfall.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Thankfully smoking in bars became illegal a few years ago over here. The few times I did have to experience it, it was god awful. I don't mind smokers, smoking, and even smoke myself sometimes, but being in a closed room of it all night was far from what I'd call a good time.

I don't get the glove or stick dip hate?? Not everyone has an easy time keeping the sticks in their hands.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

My biggest peeve around my local area is people booking and playing gigs without being prepared. It's very easy to go and find a crappy band around here, but hard to find one where the musicians have actually put the time into perfecting their art. Broken down, they are

Lead guitarists who can't play a decent solo. It's either noise, or just playing that same pentatonic minor scale, up and down, that they learnt from the 'my first scale book'. Find some feeling in the music!!!

Drummers who are lifeless and can't keep time. (the lifeless is more for rock and metal; I don't want to see a lounge jazz drummer bouncing around like zebedy!!!)

Singers who say 'Wooo' after every damn line. You're not Rick Flair. Get over yourself.

I'll be the first to say that I'll have a beer or 2 onstage. I play in a rock band, it doesn't affect my playing, and there is an image associated with this that works with the band. We pull huge audiences, and have supported some pretty big bands including the Darkness and Black Stone Cherry. Our bassist looks like a tramp, but again, it's deliberate and suits the overalls vibe of what we do (Mötley Crüe meets Van Halen meets Zep).

I'm pretty liberal to what peoples stage show is, as long as it suits the music, but do it with conviction, and make sure it is complimentary to the music. Firstly, make sure the music is triple A grade, and if it is covers, do it justice. Nothing turns me off more than someone butchering a cover with flat vocals, crappy guitar and timing issues.

Rant over!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:46 PM

If I don't like what I'm hearing, I simply walk out. I think the worst band I ever saw, was opener for my favorite band...so i had to sit through it. Recently I walked into a club and saw 5 middle aged guys wearing spandex pants and big hair, with their guts hanging over their pants, I walked away without hearing a note played, just not my thing. bottom line, capitalism says: " let the market decided" the club/bar only cares if a band can draw a crowd, they don't care a bit how technical they play, they care about making money, if they don't, then another band that is better, will come along and bump them out.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
So true. The trend nowadays is to goofily oversized drums - a 16 rack tom, 18 and 20 floor toms, 26 bass drums. It's getting out of control.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

I like my popcorn both ways actually.Caramel with peanuts,or salted with butter.:)

Steve B
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ3000 View Post
I'm pretty liberal to what peoples stage show is, as long as it suits the music, but do it with conviction, and make sure it is complimentary to the music.
Great post AJ, and I especially liked this ^^^^

Larry and Otto, we'll inevitably reject music that noobs will embrace. That's the price you pay - the vineyard owner will never again know the joy of chateau de cardboard when everything else has run out. The coffee buff may find bliss with high quality brews but will suffer if given International Roast, whereas some people (like my Dad) enjoy it. The graphic designer won't enjoy those dime-a-dozen paintings you can get at markets ...

In the end, if the audience is loaded then they won't care as long as it has a tune and beat.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Although I agree with what's been said in this thread, I recently played a small gig (new band) to a couple of hundred people and when we'd finished, we had a couple of guys who I noticed were enjoying the music come up to us one of their comments was 'the music was too loud for the singer, maybe you could of turned her up a bit'.

A fine point, but why wait until we've finished to bring this up? A kind word at the start would of helped us all, band and crowd, to enjoy the music more. I guess it must be a bit intimidating going up to a band to tell them they're doing something wrong.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Do not noodle between songs.
Do not let on what song you are doing before doing it.
Don't dress like a homeless person. Be clean. Take some pride. At least wear a decent shirt.
These three points hit me like a Mack truck:

Inbetween song noodling: This must be some engrained nervous tic because I have only experience a few guitar players who do not do this. Or maybe it is a way to keep the attention on them.

Giving away the song: I used to beg a guy I was in a band with at one time not to do this. He was so bad about playing the guitar riff that he might as well have announced "we are going to do ___________ next". He was so oblivious about it.

Special mention: The guy who has to announce the artist and title before every song like a bad Vegas lounge act (is that an oxymoron?): "This next song is Screaming For Vengeance by Judas Priest. I hope you enjoy".

Dressing like slob: I'm no fashion guru by any stretch, but one guy I have played in two different bands with would literally get off work, load his stuff, and head to the gig. No changing out of his sweaty, dirty clothes. "And on guitar, the guy who looks like he was found underneath a bridge pushing a shopping cart full of beer cans.....".

One big pet peeve I have is telling jokes between songs. I will literally throw a stick when I play with someone that does this. Conversing with the audience to take up some dead time while the guitar player changes guitars or whatever is fine, but leave your junior high school potty jokes to yourself.