DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM

Default Help with this piece

I am playing Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams. There is this part at about 30 secs into the song that I just can't time. Its easy but I need someones analysis please. I will post a section of the song. If you can listen to this song and tell me what you hear. If you look at my pic, you can see where I circled. In the song I swear it sounds like a Tom should be played here and not a high hat. I slowed it right down with Amazing slow downer to 30%. ALSO where I have the question mark, what is that? An open hi hat cross stick or what the heck? Sorry I am not notation inclined. Thanks guys. As always I appreciate your help.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Help with this piece

First off,I have been recorded when I was using 8th notes on hats,and you only heard the quarters,it sounds like the drummer is doing quarters on the hats,on the circled part,nothing is happening,a rest I think.On the arrow part,I think the drummer is kitting on 3 with the snare and a loose/sloppy/sloshy open hat stroke on the hats at the same time,the rest of that fill is eighth notes one each descending from high tom to low tom, + 4 +,

I think the area you circled is on the + of two,no tom or anything, I that can hear ,but on the + of 3 is where the fill starts,with the high tom,I think you are reading the start of the fill early,or losing one beat.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help with this piece

I don't know. I don't think you should sweat it. Just listen to the song and make your best guess. Do what sounds and feels right to you.