DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Your maximum bpm

Whats your maximum bpm?
i mean like in double strokes?
single strokes
with one hand ?
or whichever rudiment you want to mention :)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Your maximum bpm

I can play tied whole notes at 10^1000000000000000000000000000000000 bpm.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Anthony Amodeo

silliness

strictly my opinion

but silliness none the less

(enter Matt Smith)
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Whats your maximum bpm?
...with one hand ?
Half the speed I can do it with two hands :)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=speeeeed
See there - similar thread.
(And sorry I haven't posted a video yet. Will do so but the audio/video quality might be... less than mediocre.)

Single strokes: 280 but only for a few seconds. Doubles are a bit slower.
Paradiddle (standard variation): 250 (tried 270 but that was sloppy)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Faster than fast enough, I guess? I don't know-- I've never bothered checking. I've said most of what I want to say publicly on the subject here.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 PM

Are we talking about drumming here?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdrummer View Post
Are we talking about drumming here?
Please define what "drumming" is to you and give people a chance replying on your question. Maybe you're living in your own world and thus, don't understand other people's perspectives. Are you "drumming" the "right" way while others are doing it "wrong"?

Sometimes some reactions make me think that mentioning bpm above 200 is a crime...

Bpm discrimination in the year 2012... Wouldn't have believed this possible. Mankind has evolved really far... wow.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:52 AM

I apologize Arky, I was making a stupid joke. It was not meant to slag drummers who can go fast.

I actually really respect players who have put the time, effort, and self discipline into it. Its actually one of things I am working on as well.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 AM
Renegade

With fantastic sounding accuracy and feel? None.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
(And sorry I haven't posted a video yet. Will do so but the audio/video quality might be... less than mediocre.)
Come on Ark.....what are you waiting for? The planets to align? Me to become a rich man? Hell to freeze over? You've had weeks and weeks.....in fact, enough time to get yourself up to speed even if your weren't before. You called paradiddles at 250 and we wanna see it. Give us our vid!! :-)
Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I apologize Arky, I was making a stupid joke. It was not meant to slag drummers who can go fast.

I actually really respect players who have put the time, effort, and self discipline into it. Its actually one of things I am working on as well.
I see! Well my reply was a bit harsh then but it's sad that there seem to be a lot of drummers who aren't that tolerant towards their instrumental brethren. -- So I have to apologize, too. But whoever felt that my post was addressed to them... was feeling the right way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Come on Ark.....what are you waiting for? The planets to align? Me to become a rich man? Hell to freeze over? You've had weeks and weeks.....in fact, enough time to get yourself up to speed even if your weren't before. You called paradiddles at 250 and we wanna see it. Give us our vid!! :-)
I'm a master of procrastination, one of my main problems. There's some things which I keep on postponing until they get solved by themselves (disappearing). But as to that vid (or several) - ok, I'll do this... today. No matter the result, you might get a good laugh out of it. Have done calf raises yesterday but let's see. I was hoping all that time to find someone who'd help me doing vids and have a good camera. One of the potential helpers is "currently not available" because of a stupid argument. I'll do it myself, it will certainy look and sound home-made. I wasn't sitting at home thinking "Oh, half of the world is waiting for that video proof", you know. Actually I've done 2 short videos "for myself" as test shooting but I should have covered my belly with a t-shirt, those vids are... not suited for the public ;-)

EDIT
Here it is (finally) - paradiddle @ 240 & 250 bpm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLnn...ature=youtu.be

For comments I suggest doing this in the following thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...light=speeeeed

Last edited by Arky; 06-21-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

I think someone should start a thread to see how slow someone can play and staying steady. I've played behind singers where there was so much space between quarter notes, you could take a drink between them.

I totally appreciate guys who can move their sticks at mind-bending rates, but man do those guys just overplay every chance they get. Sometimes I'm disappointed when I hear Jojo Mayer just laying down a groove on Nerve's new album, but I can listen to Steve Jordan doing that all day. I wonder why that is.

I've never looked at it as maximum bpm. Check out some Will Kennedy with the Yellowjackets holding that swing pattern at punk speeds, and still dropping bombs and articulating the music. That's what I refer to as maximum bpm ;)
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
With fantastic sounding accuracy and feel? None.
I second THIS! It's very hard (for me to) maintain a single stroke roll With one hand with great fantastic sounding accuracy and feel.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Well, 16ths at quarter note 600 bpm for 1 second or so, no problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Would it be wrong to say though that the ability to play things like single strokes to at least certain level of proficiency at a reasonable speed (say 180 bpm?) is part of a good foundation? I have found since concentrating on nice, clean single strokes, my overall playing has improved. I think that the ability to play things fast just adds to your musical voice.

If I seem somewhat hesitant to take a stand its because one thing this forum and youtube has taught me is that I am not as good as I thought I was and I really don't know all that much about drumming compared to a lot of people.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Would it be wrong to say though that the ability to play things like single strokes to at least certain level of proficiency at a reasonable speed (say 180 bpm?) is part of a good foundation?
You mean 16th notes @ 180, right? A bpm number by itself doesn't mean anything, unless you mean 180 actual notes per minute. That would be a good practical first goal for running singles, and then push it towards the top setting on your metronome-- 208. I'd also be trying to get them faster (the real rate of the singles, not the metronome marking) for 1-4 beats as sixtuplets and 32nd notes.

Quote:
I have found since concentrating on nice, clean single strokes, my overall playing has improved. I think that the ability to play things fast just adds to your musical voice.
Much of drumming is just a matter of placing single notes in good musical time, so really getting singles together to a high standard at any tempo will improve your playing. But the single stroke roll is a major rudiment, and you need to have it together to call yourself proficient, though in most applications there are other ways of achieving the same effect.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Exactly enough to get the job done. I am a musician and therefore play music.

Too many here forget that's the whole purpose. If a deep groove or tasty lick I'm playing puts a smile on your face and a tap in your foot then I am doing my job. I'm not interested in how fast I can make the baseball card click in my spokes.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 PM

Yep, I did mean sixteenths. (metronome is set on quarters at 180 and I am playing sixteenths) My metronome goes a lot faster than 208 but I don't think I will! 200 for singles with my hands and feet is my goal. I think that will give me the chops to handle any musical situation that I would find myself in. I suppose that number would be higher if you were a new metal drummer.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Also, I want to say that my money is on Arky!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I think someone should start a thread to see how slow someone can play and staying steady. I've played behind singers where there was so much space between quarter notes, you could take a drink between them.
I agree with this as well. It's much harder than many people give credit and respect to. Much of my practice focuses on playing patterns at 36 - 40 bpm while silencing the click on all beats except for beat 1 - regardless of the time signature I'm working in. Additionally playing very softly and making things relaxed and flowing is difficult. Combine the two together and it's a wonderful challenge.

That being said, as far as this thread's topic - I don't feel I have great speed in hands or feet and since I don't work on it, I'm probably not going to get it anytime soon.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Renegade

Just got on the pad and tried it out, though I've been playing pretty poorly today.

Singles (quietly with comfort, control and groove) ... 16ths at 150. At around 160 my volume creeps up and I can't count loud play since that's not what I do any more.

Slowest is 8ths about 40 - again, with comfort, control and groove. Lower than that and it's bye bye groove.

Pathetic, I know lol. I just play simple songs ... drills have always felt foreign to me.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just got on the pad and tried it out, though I've been playing pretty poorly today.

Singles (quietly with comfort, control and groove) ... 16ths at 150. At around 160 my volume creeps up and I can't count loud play since that's not what I do any more.

Slowest is 8ths about 40 - again, with comfort, control and groove. Lower than that and it's bye bye groove.

Pathetic, I know lol. I just play simple songs ... drills have always felt foreign to me.
Not pathetic at all. I'd be willing to be that I'm not much faster than 160 for singles either.

Which did you find more challenging - the fast or slow experiment?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Not pathetic at all. I'd be willing to be that I'm not much faster than 160 for singles either.

Cheers David :) That's a surprise, though. When I've seen your clips you're playing things I couldn't do in a pink fit. I guess a fair bit of it is coordination, which is another type of speed - how fast your coordinated limbs can work together - a team of four limbs can generate plenty of pace without any one limb working too hard. So I gather :)

Another type of speed I want to improve is how quickly I can get around the kit with clean time, striking the exactly spot I want at the right dynamic without clicking rims, clanking edges of cymbals, dropping sticks, erroneous extra tom notes, falling off my stool, poking out my eye with a drumstick etc

Hard to say whether slow of fast was harder. I was flat out doing my best with each of them and, as I said, I find drills difficult because 90% of my playing has been with songs. Even when it's just the drums and me, often I hum or think of a song I know and play along.

It would be good to be a bit more nimble around the kit - more options and headroom - and also more able to feel comfortable grooving at the kind of tempo Bo was talking about.

For me, it's a matter of finding songs pitched at the right level for what I need - stretching just enough (slow or fast) to broaden my skillset a little.

Quote:
... one thing this forum and youtube has taught me is that I am not as good as I thought I was and I really don't know all that much about drumming compared to a lot of people.
+1!

Last edited by Anon La Ply; 06-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

These days my comfort zone for swing ride cymbal type playing is only 280. 40 years ago
it was significantly faster. I rarely play with anyone that even plays at 280 though so it gets
me by.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 PM

- My maximum speed:

I can play 16th notes in 160 bpm (hand, single stroke roll) [i can reach 170+bpm, but for less than a minute so doesn't count]

And 16th notes in almost 150 bpm
(double bass drum, single stroke) [i also can reach almost 160 bpm, but only for less than a minute so doesn't count]

Thank You, vfujidrums

Last edited by vfujidrums; 06-22-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Best I ever hit was about 7 Beers Per Minute
Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

115 Mph, according to the speedometer. In reality, probably a little lower (110 Mph). Not too bad for a 1.4...
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Best I ever hit was about 7 Beers Per Minute
using a funnel, doing shotgun, or just straight drinking?

7 beers a minute is championship status

my hero
Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

One of these days, I'm going to try doing a yard of Ale. One of these days.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
did a bunch of yards at the TAP beer festival this year

when I got up from the table I had trouble walking a yard
Old 06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
did a bunch of yards at the TAP beer festival this year

when I got up from the table I had trouble walking a yard
That I can certainly believe.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Nice idea, Dunc! Don't forget other enjoyable pastimes like hair shirts, cats o' nine tails (the Mel Gibson treatment) and that little trick Divine did on Pink Flamingos.

:)
Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nice idea, Dunc! Don't forget other enjoyable pastimes like hair shirts, cats o' nine tails (the Mel Gibson treatment) and that little trick Divine did on Pink Flamingos.

:)
If you're over here, I'll have to do it just to prove my unnerving manliness.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Renegade

Quote:
If you're over here, I'll have to do it just to prove my unnerving manliness.
If you wish to go for hair shirts and cats o' nine tails, no drama, but I'd rather not be around during a Pink Flamingos performance or immediately after you've sculled a yard of ale (I'd like a distance of at least 3 metres with the latter, 3 kilometres if the former).
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

I had no idea what a yard of ale was so I had to look it up.... I'd love to try one.... I'd probably be taken away by ambulance though.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

It was in college- I developed the ability (through many hours of intense practice) to chug a pitcher of beer very quickly which graduated to people wanting to see it and my trying to do one then another- you wouldnt expect it but the cold temperature of beer is what makes it so uncomfortable to pressurize your stomach with that quantity. Occasionaly the result was an old-faithful-esque reversal of the flow. It would come out just as cold as it went in too! Not a feeling you soon forget....
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Mukund, I have a question... ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Whats your maximum bpm?
i mean like in double strokes?
single strokes
with one hand ?
or whichever rudiment you want to mention :)
Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post

I can relate to your comments, I find there's comfort zones within the tempo's scales that I feel natural with while playing, and others were I have to concentrate.

I find the slower patterns to be the more challenging, not just in terms of tempo, but also in terms of fluidity and grooves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Hey Mukund, I have a question... ;-)
LOL!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Occasionally the result was an old-faithful-esque reversal of the flow. It would come out just as cold as it went in too! Not a feeling you soon forget....
I never understook guys' light hearted attitude towards puking. I'm distressed for hours after being so nauseous that I have to drive the porcelain bus.

I agree, Arky - Mukund should have posted his stats by now. I am increasingly feeling that work on holding slow grooves is super important. I've found that rhythms that I can hold at 60 have more balance and poise at faster tempos.

The grooves that I can't get sitting at slower tempos might sound okay within the mix but they don't bear up well to scrutiny when the drum track is isolated.