DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Drum kit components that beginners waste their money on...

A mounted tambourine, a small cowbell mounted on the same rod as my tambourine, a large cowbell mounted on the kick batter hoop and plus a 10" splash, is must have, standard equipment on my kit. I find that with those extra things, I can handle most styles of music, so they are as much a part of my kit as my snare. In use them quite a bit, they really add a refreshing sonic dimension. They are fun to play and hear. Nothing defines the QNP like a cowbell too.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Have to disagree with many things mentioned;

Double pedal? On more than one audition, being able to play some double bass was a requirement. In one band, our "hit" song that got (some college) radio play had one short fill that used double pedal, and it was the song writers idea for me to use a double pedal on that fill.

Mounted Tambourine? Yup, used it a lot on stage. Came in handy on more than one song.

Cowbell? Yup, when the bass player said, "hey, can you use a cowbell on this song?" I said sure, I have one in my bag, let me get it.

Drum Dial? oddly enough the only reason I bought on was the producer my band was working with insisted I have one. It's usefulness is limited I agree, but I have used it in the studio. If nothing else, it kept everyone else happy.

All these items were used in my career.

About the only thing I do agree belongs on this is o-rings. And Pearl Wild cymbals. Wow, those were awful.
So..... you're a beginner in a large band? I'm confused....

All sarcasm aside, there is no doubt cowbells, double pedals, mounted tambourines ext are good for the advanced drummer. But for a beginner it is a waste.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Regarding the double-pedal thing, I guess for me it all comes down to how much it's used. I really have always loved tasteful (subjective, I know) use of double-pedal. As a kid, some of my biggest "wow" moments listening to drummers were tunes like Space Boogie and Quadrant 4, with those crazy double-bass shuffles. I loved how rock and fusion guys like Weckl, Peart, Colaiuta, Steve Smith, etc. would insert some cool double-pedal licks into their phrases.

But I can't say I'm much into the sustained 200+ BPM double-kicks for the duration of the tune thing. I do like some metal and it doesn't offend me. I just don't find myself really wanting to hear it too often and I'm not inspired to try and play it.

I guess I like my double-pedal more as a condiment than a main course.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
A mounted tambourine, a small cowbell mounted on the same rod as my tambourine, a large cowbell mounted on the kick batter hoop and plus a 10" splash, is must have, standard equipment on my kit. I find that with those extra things, I can handle most styles of music, so they are as much a part of my kit as my snare. In use them quite a bit, they really add a refreshing sonic dimension. They are fun to play and hear. Nothing defines the QNP like a cowbell too.
No wind chimes Larry?

BTW, what are the best wind chimes for death metal? Should I trigger them? maybe double wind chimes?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I agree, at a more advanced level and certainly in performance, these things are necessary, or at least come in handy. The thread, though, is talking about beginners, and I think it's a waste of money to outfit a beginner's set with that.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Funny thread..lots of passive agressive attacks at certain genres and age groups young and older. The double pedal debate is a prime example of this. The good 'ole jazzhole versus the metalhead war.

I definitely wasted money on cowbells and timbales with extra hardware to mount all that stuff. I never look back and say it was bad, just all learning experince.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have to disagree with many things mentioned;

Double pedal? On more than one audition, being able to play some double bass was a requirement. In one band, our "hit" song that got (some college) radio play had one short fill that used double pedal, and it was the song writers idea for me to use a double pedal on that fill.

Mounted Tambourine? Yup, used it a lot on stage. Came in handy on more than one song.

Cowbell? Yup, when the bass player said, "hey, can you use a cowbell on this song?" I said sure, I have one in my bag, let me get it.

Drum Dial? oddly enough the only reason I bought on was the producer my band was working with insisted I have one. It's usefulness is limited I agree, but I have used it in the studio. If nothing else, it kept everyone else happy.

All these items were used in my career.

About the only thing I do agree belongs on this is o-rings. And Pearl Wild cymbals. Wow, those were awful.
Keep in mind this thread is about beginners. You don't sound like a beginner!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
No wind chimes Larry?

BTW, what are the best wind chimes for death metal? Should I trigger them? maybe double wind chimes?
I thin Death Metal Conga is best person to ask, I don't think there is a Death Metal Wind Chime :)
but sadly, I'll admit...... I kind of want some windchimes for my kit right now..
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
0 rings/studio rings are a very uesfull part of my set up. In the past I was using different heads on different snares for dry or wet sounds depending on the particular song being covered. Then I would need to put certain songs together in each set so I could switch snares between sets but if someone requested a song that we did with a wet sounding snare and I had the dry snare set up I would have to play it with the dry snare or visa versa or just wait till the next set to play their request. My set up now consists of a 2 snare set up with the snares tuned at different pitches and with fairly wet sounding heads then I use the 0 rings/studio rings to get the dry sound which now gives me the ability to switch between 4 different snare sounds at the drop of a hat (or literally at the drop of a studio ring)...lol
Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No wind chimes Larry?

No such thing... But if you prefer Black Metal there are plenty.

http://www.trulywindchimes.com/black...nd-chimes.html
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

what's with all the hate on double pedals? I think beginner kits should come with a choice between single and double pedals right off the bat. If you plan on eventually going to double, you should start with it, otherwise your left foot will be too far behind, playing the hi-hat is not the same as playing a bass drum with the left foot.

but if you're just going to stick with single throughout your life, then there's no reason to get a double.

I've been over this with my drum teacher, and that was his answer when I asked the question open ended.

as for ACTUAL wastes of money... too many toms and cymbals, I had too many, and tried to play melodies on them, which did not help the songs.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Satellite Brian View Post
So..... you're a beginner in a large band? I'm confused....

All sarcasm aside, there is no doubt cowbells, double pedals, mounted tambourines ext are good for the advanced drummer. But for a beginner it is a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Keep in mind this thread is about beginners. You don't sound like a beginner!
But I bought them all (except the drum dial) when I was still beginner. LOL

If I hadn't had them BEFORE I needed them, I wouldn't have been able to have them in my bag of stuff when the time came.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumDoug View Post
I think that might have been accurate in the past, but I'm not so sure anymore. I played for 20 years with a single pedal, and now that I finally have one, I can't get my left leg and foot to do anything. I think if I had started learning how to move my left leg and foot from the beginning it would come more natrually. Double bass is so prevelant in all types of music now, I think it make since for beginners to learn how to do it from the start. It will help the learning curve later on.
Two years ago I decided to finally buy a drum kit and learn how to play - My life long dream. Bought a decent Pearl kit and slowly upgraded the failing/cheap/broken stuff.

First purchase was a DW double pedal - I wanted to learn double bass techniques, thought it would be a great way to strengthen my hi-hat foot etc. I wanted the same degree of dexterity and control between both of my feet. Sure, I rarely use it but when I do, it's for experimentation and seasoning.

I bought a few sets of drum heads before finding the right heads for my Pearl and learning how to tune better. Sure, I upgraded the crappy, old Zildjian cymbals with new Paiste cymbals, replaced broken hi-hat, drum throne etc. This all happened over the course of two years and as my playing progressed.

I think the biggest waste of money is buying every freakin' instructional book and DVD out there. Some have a use and are decent but I would recommend someone starting use that money for actual lessons. Stay away from the books and DVDs until you get some ability.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Black cymbals top my list,closely followed by drum dials.How many posts do we see here about crappy sounding drums,or how do I get my snare to sound like(insert drummer name).Tuning is a skill all drummers need to learn,and a drum dial is not going to teach that skill to you.All drums are different,even ones of the same size and model sound a little different,from one another.

You need to learn the skill,and not replace it with a device.

Steve B
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

My biggest waste - not so much of money but of time was drumming gloves.

A couple of years after beginning kit drums I started getting into faster and faster rock/metal; having got myself a double pedal (natch) and sod all technique I noticed blisters and eventually calluses on my fingers. These were probably not helped by me getting thicker and thicker sticks as I just seemed to keep breaking them.

Once I had got into the habit of taping up the knackered parts of my fingers I noticed my grip wasn't up to much and to stop myself from dropping sticks all the time I bought some gloves [Zildjian, I believe]. Though this put a band-aid on the situation (if you'll pardon the pun) it obviously detracted from the fact I just wasn't holding the sticks well or hitting the kit particularly efficiently.

Of course all this farting about was the flailing of a young beginner who didn't know any better: once I'd found myself a decent teacher I was put on a good path and these days I won't touch any stick thicker than a 7A and even with daily playing seldom break any.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

When I bought my first drumset 40 years ago(yikes)I did OK except for two things, cowbell and splash cymbal. The cowbell was useless and I still laugh about having that cymbal because I had no clue when to use it. Those were a waste of money for me.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 AM

The biggest thing beginners waste their money on?

Duck tape.

BA-DUM TSS

;)
Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
These days I won't touch any stick thicker than a 7A and even with daily playing seldom break any.
I use to use exclusive 7a's to, but then I switched to Mike Portmoy signatures, the have basically the same shaft diameter of a 7a, but the taper and tip of a 747, so you get the feel of a 7a, with the sound of a heavier stick.
I would strongly recommend trying them my friend.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 AM

When i started i must have done things correctly but DRUMMERWORLD helped me a lot with this though, you guys rock.

My biggest waste of money..... Sound Off Pads, it sounds so bad so i moved my kit to my business unit and took them off, now i practice with no complaints from my family or neighbours and found i get a lot more quality practices as i don't get disturbed through every session i do

I bought a very cheap mapex v kit to get playing and then upgraded in this order:

Evans EC2 Heads + HD Dry Batter
Istanbul Mehmet Sweet Hats 13"
DW3500 Hat Stand
Sabian 20" XS Ride
DW5000 Single pedal
DW Cymbal Boom Stand
Istanbul 18" Xist Crash
22" EMAD Bass Head

I personally think thats all i will ever need or want but maybe change the shells
Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 AM

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...the small Roto-Tom trio (6,8,10 inches). Stores still sell em and you see them on CL a lot. I got mine in the mid 80's thinking it was a cheap way to add three more "toms" to my tiny 3 piece set. What a mistake. Don't get me wrong, they have their place in drumming, e.g. Bill Bruford, Alex VanHalen. But for a beginner they just aren't necessary.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

Hmm what have I bought when I was a dummy and first starting out
1. 2 cowbells and a ridiculous giant gibralter mount
2. really tiny splash cymbals from cheap cymbal lines like b8's
3. a (cheap) double pedal
the list goes on and on. I've sold all that junk now atleast.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

How about or too many drums? My fills got way more creative and energetic when I went from 5 to 4 drums about 12 years ago.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Mike Portnoy signatures [. . .] you get the feel of a 7a, with the sound of a heavier stick [. . .] I would strongly recommend trying them my friend.
Cheers - that's good advice; personally I use the Vic Firth 8D these days (which is 1/2" longer than the 7A) for that very reason. The ProMark 420 seems to be even longer which is cool - only downsides for me would be the tip (having used 7ANs for years I switched back to the wood tips and have become rather fond of them) and the fact that where I buy my sticks ProMark are inexplicably about 12.5% more expensive than Vic Firth or Vater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEflyer View Post
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...the small Roto-Tom trio (6,8,10 inches) [. . .] they have their place in drumming, e.g. Bill Bruford, Alex VanHalen. But for a beginner they just aren't necessary.
Yeah, bought those back in the day: Alex Van Halen was a big influence on my younger self. Strangely enough I ended up only using the smallest tom cranked right up to sound like a cow bell [Yay!] and played it as such.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

but sadly, I'll admit...... I kind of want some windchimes for my kit right now..
Nothing sad about wind chimes. I love them, & have a set on my live kit permanently. I find studio chimes work best. Slightly thinner bars offer a more cohesive sound than some of the bigger tube based ones, they're a bit "clangy". Ok, I admit, I only use them maybe 5-6 times in a set, but they add substantially to the vibe when used sparingly.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

ONLY 5-6 times?

Are you playing musicals?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
ONLY 5-6 times?

Are you playing musicals?
Death Metal actually ;)

Seriously, they get used once or twice across two ballads & a refrain in an up tempo song.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

I've made so many bad purchases it's not true. I'd like to think I'm wiser now - ha

I've bought cymbals that sounded great by themselves but didn't match the others. I bought a mini conga that was very ordinary. I have tons of percussive toys that I never get the chance to use.

Many thousands of unwise dollars donated to Drum City / Billy Hyde / Allens Music ... an expensive way to learn. It's a great thing about this site - you can get advice from cluey players. The downside is all the product talk can get you burning up the money you saved through the good advice ...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Andy on the premature kit upgrades. You first need to figure out how to tune what you've got and understand what your kit's strengths and weaknesses are before you're ready to zero in on a new one. Once you understand what you've got and where you want to go, then you won't be posting here saying, "My Catalina sounds crappy and my new band is playing shows, what should I get, lol?" Okay, so your going to go from a Catalina to a DW Collectors that will sound just as bad. Or, get the DW and then feel the need to learn to tune it properly, discovering in the process that if you had done that to the Catalina, it would've actually sounded pretty rippin'.

+1 on the 6/8/10 rototoms. The most heinous addition to any kit. (tho I wouldn't mind a 12/14/16/18 for an alternate setup)

I don't have heartache with double pedals. When I was noob, most of my drum heroes had them (Peart, Bozzio, Morgenstein, Simon Philips). They were some of my biggest inspirations, why not try to figure that stuff out? None of them were slouches on the hi hats either. If I was just coming up nowadays, I think I'd be wanting to figure out how Tomas Haake does some of his stuff. It's just fun and isn't that the point?

My Band
Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Naigewron
This message has been deleted by Naigewron. Reason: Didn't see that there were three pages to this thread :)
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

As a noob myself, I have to admit that I have both a cowbell and a stick holder on my kit but I bought neither, they were both Christmas presents (that I didn't ask for) so I find it okay. I actually enjoy the cowbell and incorporating it into my paradiddle practice for the purpose of getting a different sound, a different feel and getting used to moving around to different parts of the kit (it gets boring for us noobs playing only snare, hats and bass all the time - a little cowbell adds a little excitement...lol).

One day, I may even learn to incorporate it into a real song! Who knows!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No wind chimes Larry?

HAHA!

But how can I improve my wind chime technique to play them faster? How can I sustain 260 bpm on the wind chimes, even if it drives people from the room? How do you mount multiple wind chimes to a set? can I get a rack-mountable set with at least 500 individual chimes? What kind of chimes does the drummer for Necrofascistanalhunger play? Is one brand better for the Black Goat Viking Doomcore Foul Odor Thrash sub-genre?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I agree with Andy on the premature kit upgrades. You first need to figure out how to tune what you've got and understand what your kit's strengths and weaknesses are before you're ready to zero in on a new one. Once you understand what you've got and where you want to go, then you won't be posting here saying, "My Catalina sounds crappy and my new band is playing shows, what should I get, lol?" Okay, so your going to go from a Catalina to a DW Collectors that will sound just as bad. Or, get the DW and then feel the need to learn to tune it properly, discovering in the process that if you had done that to the Catalina, it would've actually sounded pretty rippin'.

+1 on the 6/8/10 rototoms. The most heinous addition to any kit. (tho I wouldn't mind a 12/14/16/18 for an alternate setup)

I don't have heartache with double pedals. When I was noob, most of my drum heroes had them (Peart, Bozzio, Morgenstein, Simon Philips). They were some of my biggest inspirations, why not try to figure that stuff out? None of them were slouches on the hi hats either. If I was just coming up nowadays, I think I'd be wanting to figure out how Tomas Haake does some of his stuff. It's just fun and isn't that the point?
Hey Mike. My buddy has a full rototom kit 6 to 16, with bass rototom as well. I will have to have him set it up for me to take a pic.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Answering the OP: nothing.

Waste implies that there is no value in all the things mentioned here. But none of these things are a waste because that is how we learn: by doing. We buy stuff that we think will make our kits better and learn by making mistakes. You have to try stuff on to find out what works for you. It's not like double pedals, cow bells and dampening rings are a waste for everyone or even every beginner. Those things would only be purchase mistakes if one bought them and never used them. But then that is how we learn what not to buy. There is no waste in that.

Looking back at my incredibly long list of purchases, every one has value to me. Even that ridiculous set of agogo bells I got when I was 15.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundlefly View Post

Waste implies that there is no value in all the things mentioned here. But none of these things are a waste because that is how we learn: by doing. We buy stuff that we think will make our kits better and learn by making mistakes. You have to try stuff on to find out what works for you. It's not like double pedals, cow bells and dampening rings are a waste for everyone or even every beginner. Those things would only be purchase mistakes if one bought them and never used them. But then that is how we learn what not to buy. There is no waste in that.

Looking back at my incredibly long list of purchases, every one has value to me. Even that ridiculous set of agogo bells I got when I was 15.
+1 Best answer yet

dumb char limit
Old 02-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundlefly View Post

I bow to you. This the best answer in this thread.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMC View Post
+1 Best answer yet

dumb char limit
The guys with the Monster kits usually have the best outlook on things! :)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Is one brand better for the Black Goat Viking Doomcore Foul Odor Thrash sub-genre?
Hehehehe = superb! Here ya go, here's some I donated from my small collection ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtkHypTq3p4
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
= yes, of course, how could I have missed that nugget of insight :)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Hehehehe = superb! Here ya go, here's some I donated from my small collection ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtkHypTq3p4
Wow those are perfect death metal chimes lol. I wouldn't mind using a loop of just the big ones for something, its a cool effect. Imagine how many people don't have plumbing in Africa cause of that guy. lol
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Well drums make you happy so wouldn't more drums make you happier?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMC View Post
Well drums make you happy so wouldn't more drums make you happier?
It is working for me! :)