DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
TFITTING942

Default Alarming concern about my chain drive pedals

Don't know if this ever happened to anyone but after my gig this past Saturday, I packed up my Pearl Eliminator double pedal in its case and brought it home with the reat of my gear. Being Lazy I didnt try to set up my kit untill last night. When I took the slave pedal out of the case, the chain fell off the top bracket and I noticed that the master or connecting link was gone. I found it laying in the case but the retaing clip is missing. I am surprised, and happy I made it through the gig without it coming apart. I have an old pearl chain drive pedal so I took the clip from that and fixed it. Now I am concerned about this happening during a show. I may switch it to strap drive just because im freaked out now.
Has anyone had this experience before?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Alarming concern about my chain drive pedals

I have a Dixon double chain drive, double pedal for 12 years now without any problems, but have broken several straps in the past on other pedals, its probably a fluke but why not buy a repair kit for your pedal and keep it in your gear in case you ever do need it, a few $$ = piece of mind.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Me personally - and it is a personal preference - I absolutely hate chain pedals... In 33 years of playing, I've never broken a strap.

I actually have used some in the past and have learned to dislike them. Starting with the Tama Camco back in the early 80's up to and including DW's.

There's a post in the Gear/Pedal section that I got involved with a little while back as well.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81967 A couple of the engineers/designers of some of the DW pedals are on this thread as well.

My favorite pedal is no longer made - Gretsch Free Floating pedal.

I am able to tolerate the DW 5000 strap pedal. Even my DW Double pedal had to be special ordered as I wanted it with the strap.

Last edited by dmacc; 11-16-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
There's a post in the Gear/Pedal section that I got involved with a little while back as well.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=82029 A couple of the engineers/designers of some of the DW pedals are on this thread as well.
There is only 1 post in that thread.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
There is only 1 post in that thread.
I apologize, for the incorrect thread link. I've modified my post linking the thread I originally intended.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Doctor Dirt

Have a back up ready, just slip on a single to finish the nite or set with till you get a chance to fix it. The one problem I don't need when working is a pedal issue. I have an extra sitting on the floor next to me on every gig even when practicing and a back up to the back up in the van. A broken pedal or a broken batter head is my worst nightmare. I have back ups for every head and extra snares, thread, mic clips, felts, rubber feet, hh clutch, rods and other stuff in the mic case that I haven't opened in years but its there.
No strap here since the chain came out, used to break straps like nothing. Stretch them out in 3 gigs then SNAP!! Actually had a piece of metal fabricated to take the place of a strap on my old Slingerland (double) AA pedals. Ghost pedals didn't last at all back then hahahaha!!! Today they'd probably be ok but I still hit with pretty good force, I use dynamics alot with my kick drum. 'Getting ready to go back to the dw 5000 although the Pearl Power Shifters have done a good job the passed 20 years. A pedal is just about the most important hardware to me, in my younger days it needed to be strong and now a days the extra speed is needed since my reflexes and strength is lacking. The drum set hardware manufactured today is really terrific compared to when I started. Then I look back to the pedals from the
late 30s and then the transformation is amazing. Great gear today, shells and hardware are outstanding. Doc
Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 PM
TFITTING942

Thanks doc, I am going to start bring repair parts with me. That little clip must have popped off during the gig and it somehow stayed togeather. Laying in the case the master link just fell out. I was so stunned and thinking about the gig, I decided I need some spare parts with me from now on!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Well, like anything else, you have to keep an eye on your gear. You don't just continue to drive your car when you should change the oil, yes? Same thing with your gear. After every gig I do, the kit comes home and is set up to see what, if anything, needs to be replaced or readjusted, and then it's ready for the next gig. I play a single pedal, and I actually carry an extra pedal and an extra hi-hat stand, plus all the little bits, springs, S-hooks, hi-hat clutches. A high-paying, high profile gig is not where I want to find out something isn't working - that's just unprofessional. You can't concentrate on the music you have to make if you're wondering if something is going to break, eh?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:54 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, like anything else, you have to keep an eye on your gear. You don't just continue to drive your car when you should change the oil, yes? Same thing with your gear. After every gig I do, the kit comes home and is set up to see what, if anything, needs to be replaced or readjusted, and then it's ready for the next gig. I play a single pedal, and I actually carry an extra pedal and an extra hi-hat stand, plus all the little bits, springs, S-hooks, hi-hat clutches. A high-paying, high profile gig is not where I want to find out something isn't working - that's just unprofessional. You can't concentrate on the music you have to make if you're wondering if something is going to break, eh?
My pedals are only a month old, and this was my first gig with them. I was actually wondering if anyone had the same thing happen. The chain didn't break, the little clip fell off the master link. My gear is in good order, i never said i was a professional.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 PM

This very thing happened to me 3 weeks ago but it was my Tama Roadpro hihat stand. A very small diameter 39cent hoseclamp from Lowes saved the day, it plays exactly as did before and no one but you and me know it's there.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
My pedals are only a month old, and this was my first gig with them. I was actually wondering if anyone had the same thing happen. The chain didn't break, the little clip fell off the master link. My gear is in good order, i never said i was a professional.
Well, don't get me wrong, but you don't have to be a professional to practice basic 'eyes-on' maintenance, as I pointed out with a car. I guess with this new pedal you'll probably never neglect that little piece again ;)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I apologize, for the incorrect thread link. I've modified my post linking the thread I originally intended.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
I would almost bet since they were only a month old that the clip wasnt quite in place to begin with and a month of playing poped it out, I have run into stuff like that before, none of us do it but we should always go over new hardware, screws, nuts, clips, roll pins, etc can not always be as tight or completely in place, the human factor can account for most of this type of thing, especially the ones built on Mondays and Fridays...lol
Old 11-17-2011, 02:29 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Thank you.

I would almost bet since they were only a month old that the clip wasnt quite in place to begin with and a month of playing poped it out, I have run into stuff like that before, none of us do it but we should always go over new hardware, screws, nuts, clips, roll pins, etc can not always be as tight or completely in place, the human factor can account for most of this type of thing, especially the ones built on Mondays and Fridays...lol
I think your right about it not being in position from the factory. They should never just fall off but ill keep an eye on the replacement piece I used.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM

I would imagine the clip on the master link should be installed just like they are on a drive chain on a motorcycle or other machinery.....with the open end of the clip facing the opposite of rotation.
In other words, the closed end of the clip should face the direction of pull on the chain.

I have seen master link clips come off of a chain drive on machines in the past due to the link clip being installed with the open end facing travel direction.

Just a though..