DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Annoying things people say to drummers...

I think I must be immune to this because I make it my business to know as much or more about music than most of the people I'm dealing with. Guitarists can't play? Ok, I'll play guitar and YOU play bass. Can't find a drummer? Ok, I'll play the drums then. Engineer controls how good your sound is? Ok, I'll learn how to do it to my satisfaction rather than rely on anyone else. Out of key/horrible atonal note choices? I'll ensure I understand the theory of what we're doing so it doesn't happen again.

So far it's worked rather well!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
I think I must be immune to this because I make it my business to know as much or more about music than most of the people I'm dealing with. Guitarists can't play? Ok, I'll play guitar and YOU play bass. Can't find a drummer? Ok, I'll play the drums then. Engineer controls how good your sound is? Ok, I'll learn how to do it to my satisfaction rather than rely on anyone else. Out of key/horrible atonal note choices? I'll ensure I understand the theory of what we're doing so it doesn't happen again.

You're a bit of a rare bird, PQ. You also forgot to mention that you can fill in if there's a problem with the nose flautist :)
Old 05-28-2011, 02:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

I do that sometimes.
It really helps out if I know the drum parts well and maybe we need to glue the guitars or record a demo I'll jump on guitar or bass and we all switch about.
I usually tune the instruments and do most writing in my band too aswell as organise alot of things and I make sure nothing is wrong with the gear we use before we practice/record.
But I'm always and always will be a drummer and if there's a slight problem with a drum kit, I won't be that happy.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

a man after my own heart.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
You're a bit of a rare bird, PQ. You also forgot to mention that you can fill in if there's a problem with the nose flautist :)
There's ALWAYS a problem with the nose flautist!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

I was playing my 74 Gretsch kit at an outdoor 4th Of July party a few years ago.
I almost never gig outdoors with this kit and I only brought it out that day because the weather was at perfect temp and humidity. I was excited to be playing it out and I was very happy with both my playing and my sound that day.
In between sets a teenager walked up near my kit and he looked at it closely.
He said something like this. "Oh, It's a Gretch!"
I said to him, "Do you play the drums?" He said "No, But I don't like Gretsch drums!"
I said, "How do you know that you don't like them if you don't play?"
He said, "My brother plays the drums and he say's that Gretsch drums aren't that good.
I just shook my head and I walked away.
That is the most annoying thing that anyone has ever said to me.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Rebel

Drummers are absolutely deaf...what?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 AM
Gold Member

"There's no money yet, but..."
billbachman.net
Old 05-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

And the award for 'Best Reply' goes to...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post
Funny stuff. :-)
Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

Thanks, here in Nashville I've heard that so many times! Everybody has this dream that they're going to be the 1 in 10,000 or so that makes it and that if you dedicate yourself to building it that you can ride the wave. Of course, the 1 in 10,000 that makes it fires you for established "name" players with greater perceived value. Of course, then the act gets shelved and they're back to square one.
billbachman.net
Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post
LOL.....

That describes every band in Los Angeles. heh.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Couldn't agree more. Actually, Any player, drummer or otherwise, who constantly noodles in between songs - needs to find something else to do.
Completely agree. I was in percussion ensemble class back in September. My brother and I were practicing a drum break for marching band at the beginning of class. A few minutes later, I just heard banging outside of the percussion room. Our band director had stepped out of the room and the new students thought that we were showing off, so they decided to try and show off their skills... all at once. The kids who didn't have drum pads were beating on music stands and chairs, I mean what the hell. 14 people beating on drum pads is horrible. The guitar teacher came in and was like,"Quiet down! Why are you guys making so much noise?". And then he kicked us out of the percussion room until the band director came back.

I'm sorry, but I can't stand most new drummers (at my school). There have been times where I'm really into a beat I'm practicing, but someone walks in and starts thrashing all the percussion instruments in the room. I stop and say,"What are you doing?". They say,"You were playing this, right? *unrecognizable rhythm*. I mean it was a fun class and all, but when everyone starts messing around... oh my god. Have they ever heard of air drums or tapping?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 PM

How about the guitarist with the full Marshall stack and 6 guitars who asks you if you can scale down your kit because it takes up too much room?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekeep69 View Post
How about the guitarist with the full Marshall stack and 6 guitars who asks you if you can scale down your kit because it takes up too much room?
That's probably the comment I get the most...Can't you take up less space/use a smaller kit? They don't seem to understand that by me sitting down on my throne with a bass drum in front of me, a hi hat to the left side, and a ride to the right, I need virtually the same amount of room if I used a 16" kick. Then they say, but can't you use less toms? That doesn't make my footprint any smaller, so I like them there to use. There's only 3 of them. I'm sorry they didn't teach me how to shrink myself in drummer school.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
That's probably the comment I get the most...Can't you take up less space/use a smaller kit? They don't seem to understand that by me sitting down on my throne with a bass drum in front of me, a hi hat to the left side, and a ride to the right, I need virtually the same amount of room if I used a 16" kick. Then they say, but can't you use less toms? That doesn't make my footprint any smaller, so I like them there to use. There's only 3 of them. I'm sorry they didn't teach me how to shrink myself in drummer school.
I get something similar. I have endured many "too many drums" comments from drummers and non-drummers alike, even as my gig-rig gets smaller. I have a hard time explaining to them that at 6-foot-one, it's ME who is taking up that space, there just happens to be drums and cymbals at the ends of my limbs in strategic locations. If I brought a Ringo kit to a show it wouldn't save any more space than what I'm using (or not enough to justify losing the other floor tom). Mostly, it seems to be sound guys who can't squeeze any more than about eight drum channels out of their 32-channel board.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Gold Member

I was subbing for a drummer who plays in a Praise Band about a year ago. His family went on vacation, so a coworker knew I played and asked me to sub. I accepted the gig just to get to play with different adult musicians, some of whom I'd heard before and wanted to jam with. So I get to rehearsal and the music director is warm and welcoming. About half an hour later, we start rehearsing the first song. I'm playing along making stuff up and the director cuts the band off mid-song, turns to me and says: "Sorry I don't have any sheet music for you, but you're a drummer and drummers don't need music."

I sat there with my jaw on the floor almost, until I composed myself and told him it was alright I'll just "make up something". Then he proceeds to tell the band about repeating a bridge and the third time through he just wants a single guitar to play that passage for dramatic effect. I then made it a point to inform him I have no music and don't know where I am supposed to not play. He thought for a moment then told me to "just watch him" for a hand signal. The next time through the song he forgot the signal, so I am playing a few beats until I realize that was the spot to drop out. Of course then the other musicians who did have music all turned around and told me "don't play here!"
Old 05-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
^ This.

I'm 6'2". Once my bass drum and hit hat are set out far enough so that my legs aren't munched up under them, you can't make that circle any smaller.

I've gotten the "well, take one tom off", and yeah, ok, but it's doesn't make the psychical space any smaller.

Sure, I can move a cymbal stand a bit to free up a few inches, but nothing dramatic is going to happen to make a basic 5 pc kit take up any less floor space.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
I was subbing for a drummer who plays in a Praise Band about a year ago. His family went on vacation, so a coworker knew I played and asked me to sub. I accepted the gig just to get to play with different adult musicians, some of whom I'd heard before and wanted to jam with. So I get to rehearsal and the music director is warm and welcoming. About half an hour later, we start rehearsing the first song. I'm playing along making stuff up and the director cuts the band off mid-song, turns to me and says: "Sorry I don't have any sheet music for you, but you're a drummer and drummers don't need music."

I sat there with my jaw on the floor almost, until I composed myself and told him it was alright I'll just "make up something". Then he proceeds to tell the band about repeating a bridge and the third time through he just wants a single guitar to play that passage for dramatic effect. I then made it a point to inform him I have no music and don't know where I am supposed to not play. He thought for a moment then told me to "just watch him" for a hand signal. The next time through the song he forgot the signal, so I am playing a few beats until I realize that was the spot to drop out. Of course then the other musicians who did have music all turned around and told me "don't play here!"
Going to be honest, if anyone told me that I would step out right there and then and tell them to get a new drummer.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Silver Member

My simple retort to foolish statements from peanut galleries would be:

"So, tonight you were WHERE and made HOW MUCH money playing??"

Then pull HIS 5 dollar cover charge from MY pocket and say "THANKS"

USUALLY shuts 'em up long enough to walk away without a confrontation.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Why do you have only 4 drums?-Person
Because this is all I need to use for my style-Me
Oh, My freind/cousin/brother/etc... has one with X amt. of drums. You should go get some more. It looks awesome..-Person
*Walk Away*-Me