DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Where does blues fit in Groove Essentials?

Hi all,

I understand rock and roll came from blues. But is blues consider a "genre" on its own? Or is it part of rock?

I can find a "blues" section in the groove essenstials, and I'd like to learn some blues fundamentals and playing along to some simple stuff.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Where does blues fit in Groove Essentials?

jazz, blues, and rock are all closely related, of course, and they all come from the same roots. i guess you could say that blues is part of rock in a very loose sense, but it's more like rock stemmed off of blues and jazz at some point more or less in the 50's.

today blues is usually considered a genre all its own, but you can definitely find examples of jazz that's very bluesy and rock that is also very bluesy. there are no strict rules when it comes to genres.

the closest thing i can think of to a blues shuffle in tommy igoe's original groove essentials book/CD is groove #23, the "jazz shuffle". you could get away with playing that at blues jam.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Rock is considered a blending of Blues and Country from what I understand. The music for blues is rooted in Gospel as far as I can tell.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 PM

Blues is most definitely a genre of its own and rock was formed, discovered, invented or however you wish to deem it as a form of blues. If you find the time and were to do some research you will find blues has been around for many, many decades. Some of the older blues artists such as Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters plus many more were actually a huge influence for musicians/bands such as The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, The Doors and many,many more. Blues also has a ton of side grenres such as Cajun Blues, Chicago Blues and it has progressed to some modern style up-tempo blues by artists such as the great Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tab Benoit, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lang and a ton more. Lets also not forget Hendrix was widely influenced by blues artists. Depending on the style of blues you wish to play ( I like all the styles ) you can literally drive yourself crazy trying to find all of the great blues songs out there. Being in numerous blues bands over the years I will tell you that you have to eventually literally feel the music you are playing. It is far less structured, always should be room for improvising (which believe it or not is not that easy for certain individuals) and is definitely more of a groove in the pocket drumming style, plus it allows you the creative license we all as musicians should be allowed to express. Man I could go on and on about the blues, I would just like to suggest a few artisits for you to listen to and see what you think of them, I would even be more than happy to send you some great jams in mp3 format if you wish. Start out with some Tab Benoit, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lang and Stevie Ray Vaughn. In my opinion I do not think you will be disappointed. Let me know what you think..
Old 03-25-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mattingly View Post
Blues is most definitely a genre of its own and rock was formed, discovered, invented or however you wish to deem it as a form of blues. If you find the time and were to do some research you will find blues has been around for many, many decades. Some of the older blues artists such as Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters plus many more were actually a huge influence for musicians/bands such as The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, The Doors and many,many more. Blues also has a ton of side grenres such as Cajun Blues, Chicago Blues and it has progressed to some modern style up-tempo blues by artists such as the great Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tab Benoit, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lang and a ton more. Lets also not forget Hendrix was widely influenced by blues artists. Depending on the style of blues you wish to play ( I like all the styles ) you can literally drive yourself crazy trying to find all of the great blues songs out there. Being in numerous blues bands over the years I will tell you that you have to eventually literally feel the music you are playing. It is far less structured, always should be room for improvising (which believe it or not is not that easy for certain individuals) and is definitely more of a groove in the pocket drumming style, plus it allows you the creative license we all as musicians should be allowed to express. Man I could go on and on about the blues, I would just like to suggest a few artisits for you to listen to and see what you think of them, I would even be more than happy to send you some great jams in mp3 format if you wish. Start out with some Tab Benoit, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lang and Stevie Ray Vaughn. In my opinion I do not think you will be disappointed. Let me know what you think..

thanks! I will check those out!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
Hi all,

I understand rock and roll came from blues. But is blues consider a "genre" on its own? Or is it part of rock?

I can find a "blues" section in the groove essenstials, and I'd like to learn some blues fundamentals and playing along to some simple stuff.
Groove Essentials 2.0 has an discussion on the term "blues" and how it relates to groove and form.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Gold Member

I think I'm a little amazed that the original Groove Essentials didn't have a blues section.