DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin, I was listening to the Anesthetize DVD and I noticed how Porcupine Tree incorporate one song into another, like in What Happens Now where a guitar riff is very similar to the song Anesthetize and the lyrics for the chorus in Normal are the same in Sentimental. I was wondering why this is. Are there some links between the songs?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 PM

Hi Gavin!

What's your comfort distance between the pedals of your Speed Cobra?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 AM

Hi Gavin,

Is there anything the US (United States) fans can do to petition Sonor to do a Prolite Experience tour in the US, you are already going to be on this continent for the Canadian tour, specifically the New Jersey/New York area.

Thanks
UE
Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 PM

Hi Gavin,
Sorry for my english, I'm french and I have not worked hard enough at school : I preferred to play drums on my table rather than listening to my teacher...

First, I want to thank you because you are part of the drummers that makes me love drums and work this beautiful instrument.

My question is about your 5 customs chimes : I know that you cut some A custom crash but do you cut always for the same size (and bell's crash=tune) or the 5 chimes have different size ? how do you defined the place of each one in your kit (Hi to low) ?
Do you come in France for giving drum clinic ? You could give me English lessons at the same time.
I hope to be understandable ; thanks to be here Gavin,
and thanks google talk...
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JakkP

I was listening to the Anesthetize DVD and I noticed how Porcupine Tree incorporate one song into another, like in What Happens Now where a guitar riff is very similar to the song Anesthetize and the lyrics for the chorus in Normal are the same in Sentimental. I was wondering why this is. Are there some links between the songs?

Just some fun with continuity.

Hi Dustondrums

Do you mean the distance between the left and right pedal? The gap between them is 39cms at the back of the pedals and 43cms at the front....if that what you meant?

Hi UE Nastasi

Is there anything the US (United States) fans can do to petition Sonor to do a Prolite Experience tour in the US, you are already going to be on this continent for the Canadian tour, specifically the New Jersey/New York area.

you can ask your local drumstore to contact Hohner http://www.hohnerusa.com/ (the American distributor of Sonor) and Zildjian and request it.

Hi kalabuchnok

My question is about your 5 customs chimes : I know that you cut some A custom crash but do you cut always for the same size (and bell's crash=tune) or the 5 chimes have different size ? how do you defined the place of each one in your kit (Hi to low) ?
Do you come in France for giving drum clinic ? You could give me English lessons at the same time.

The original little bells were not cut from A Custom crashes - but old Avedis Zildjian crashes (with the small bell size found on this range: 13"-17") most of which them were from the 70's/80's. Yes the size pretty much determines the pitch of them. The biggest one is about 6.5 inches and the smallest is about 4 inches. I set them up left to right = low to high.
I made a drum clinic in France last year - but at the moment I don't have any more plans to make French drum clinics unfortunately.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Dustondrums

Do you mean the distance between the left and right pedal? The gap between them is 39cms at the back of the pedals and 43cms at the front....if that what you meant?
Yes. That's what i meant. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 PM

I also like to sit very low, but sometimes i feel that the height of my snare is not comfortable. Could you share the height position of your snare drum?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 AM

Hey Gavin/Everyone! I've been following this thread for AGES and always meant to sign up...but only just have! :)

Gavin, didn't you record 'The Incident' at Monkey Puzzle Studio's in Woolpit, Suffolk? I literally live 10 or less minutes away and was wondering what you thought to it? Because I'm trying to find places to record drums and my band are trying to push me down the 'Drum Kit From Hell' route... Eugh...

Thank you! :)

Cameron.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Greetings Gavin!

So stoked about your Canadian Prolite tour.

Do you still have your Blue Azzure Delites? What's your opinion of them? Do you notice a big difference between your old Delites and the new Prolites?

Are you enjoying the F1 season so far? It's been an incredibly unpredictable year.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Dustondrums

I also like to sit very low, but sometimes i feel that the height of my snare is not comfortable. Could you share the height position of your snare drum?

well of course I can tell you the height of my snare drum but it wouldn't really relate to your setup as I doubt we're exactly the same height, have the same body proportions and sit the same same distance away from the drums. My snare drum is set at 68cms to the top rim closest to me but it's angled back at me -8.3 degrees.

Hi CameronADD

Gavin, didn't you record 'The Incident' at Monkey Puzzle Studio's in Woolpit, Suffolk? I literally live 10 or less minutes away and was wondering what you thought to it? Because I'm trying to find places to record drums and my band are trying to push me down the 'Drum Kit From Hell' route... Eugh...

No I recorded the drums for that album at AIR studios in London. We did our writing sessions at Monkey Puzzle and I thought it sounded very good in there.

Hi Troy McClure

Do you still have your Blue Azzure Delites? What's your opinion of them? Do you notice a big difference between your old Delites and the new Prolites?

I don't have that Blue DeLiite kit anymore. It was one of the sets they loaned me in the States. I haven't really played the ProLites other than at the factory for the promo filming - but as far as I could tell they are the same - but with a few small hardware updates.

Are you enjoying the F1 season so far? It's been an incredibly unpredictable year.

yeah I love it.

I'm coming to Asia in October for a drum clinic tour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRxy-sQ1PLE
Oct 14 Tokyo
Oct 15 Taipei
Oct 16 Hong Kong
Oct 18 Bangkok
Oct 19 Manila
Oct 21Kuala Lumpur
Oct 22 Singapore
Oct 25 Beijing
Oct 26 Chengdu

cheers
Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Harrison; 08-08-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 PM

Hey Gavin.
What do you think of the new Meshuggah album? Any tracks stand out to you?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Hey Gavin,

Were you wearing GoPro's in that video of you advertising for your Asian clinic tour? One on your chest and one on your head?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:51 PM

Anybody still using askgavinharrison.com?

I can't afford the current hosting so I've killed it. Per Analytics I was seeing 20-30 visits per day with a fairly high bounce rate. I haven't had the time to maintain this thing in years.

I'm sad to murder the project so if anybody wants to help me or take it over - let's talk.

If we all think it's pretty much worthless as a FAQ we'll move on.

http://www.askgavinharrison.com
Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

@ fromyesterday

Yes, I was spending that website a visit every now and then. It's sad to see websites go.

Wouldn't it be possible to copy/move that FAQ content into a new thread here on Drummerworld/in a Drummer sub-thread? Just a thought.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe Gavin would even include it into his own website, as a FAQ submenu?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 AM

Gavin,

Very entertaining video promoting your upcoming Asian clinic tour - congrats! Maybe you should call it the "Please feed the drummer" tour (laughs!)

I was curious, in your recent home studio videos you've made for us, why there doesn't appear to be any overhead mics on your kit? Are you using a newer recording technique that doesn't involve traditional overheads? Also, I love the sound of that new SQ2 kit! No S-Hoops this time?

Lastly, have you found that you can use your new signature sticks in all styles of music, or do you still grab some lighter sticks once in a while?

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JakkP

What do you think of the new Meshuggah album? Any tracks stand out to you?

I haven't heard it yet.

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

Were you wearing GoPro's in that video of you advertising for your Asian clinic tour? One on your chest and one on your head?

yes exactly.

Hi JeffV71

I was curious, in your recent home studio videos you've made for us, why there doesn't appear to be any overhead mics on your kit? Are you using a newer recording technique that doesn't involve traditional overheads? Also, I love the sound of that new SQ2 kit! No S-Hoops this time?

My overheads (Neumann TLM103s) are just behind my head - like an extension of my ears. I started doing that during the recording sessions for the last PT album. You get a really nice picture of the whole kit that way and not too much cymbals. It's close to what I'm hearing sitting at the drumset. When I shot that video I hadn't got the S-Hoops installed yet. I was waiting for some of the sizes I hadn't had before. (5 hole 8") (6 hole 10") (8 hole 15") (8 hole 18").

Lastly, have you found that you can use your new signature sticks in all styles of music, or do you still grab some lighter sticks once in a while?

Yes so far I've used them for everything.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM

Hey there Gavin, I understand you'll be in Halifax, Nova Scotia in about a month's time for a clinic. I live pretty close to the shop and venue so chances are I'll see you there, just thought I'd say hi and early 'welcome to the east coast'.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

OK thanks Nick - see you there.

Gavin
Old 08-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Hi Gavin,

Just wanted to thank you for the constant inspiration, education, and massive thanks to both you and Vic Firth for a great pair of signature sticks. They've really augmented and enhanced my playing, moreso than i thought just a pair of sticks could do. They're fantastically balanced and feel awesome whatever you're playing. I used to play 5As, and Rock for heavier stuff, but your stick is now all i'll need... Although 5As now feel like matchsticks. *shrug*

Actually, i do have a question. In regards to overriding and displacement, do you have a particular set of patterns you like to play or is it just as and when you do it/when the client asks? I'm currently involved in writing some quite intricate patterns with an original project, and they've asked for some displacement stuff, so any pointers would be helpful... Cheers a lot!

Kyle Fenton
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromyesterday View Post
Anybody still using askgavinharrison.com?

I can't afford the current hosting so I've killed it. Per Analytics I was seeing 20-30 visits per day with a fairly high bounce rate. I haven't had the time to maintain this thing in years.

I'm sad to murder the project so if anybody wants to help me or take it over - let's talk.

If we all think it's pretty much worthless as a FAQ we'll move on.
No way! I use that site fairly regularly. Wish I had the time to do anything on it.

Someone needs to step up!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Hello Gavin!

How do you get your ghost notes to be so articulate? Is it the few strands? I have a Sonor s classix 14x5 with die cast hoops that I tune pretty tight on the bottom and about two semitones lower on the top. I tighten the snare wires pretty tight but still loose enough to not sound like a tom on the weakest notes.

I use puresound twisted strands but I'm still experimenting on which ones to get. I'm going to try the 12 strand concert ones next.

Any advice on how to get that really articulate ghost note sound when it comes to tuning, head choice and playing style?

Any advice on how you get them so even? Are you playing them as soft as possible?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Hellow Gavin!

Thank you for your gig in Russia this may! It was very interestig/

And I've got a question: is there a way I can get an original drum minus fo the PT song "Bonnie the cat" ? I've failed to find a place, where it could be bought

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM

Bernard should serioulsy consider changing the thread title to read: "Gavin Harrison here! (Don't ask for drumless tracks)"
:)
Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 PM

Well, I understand I'm not the first one to ask such a question, but it's rather difficult to saerch through 146 pages :)
I just want to find out if there is such a track and where can I get it if there is:)
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Kyle Fenton

Just wanted to thank you for the constant inspiration, education, and massive thanks to both you and Vic Firth for a great pair of signature sticks. They've really augmented and enhanced my playing, moreso than i thought just a pair of sticks could do. They're fantastically balanced and feel awesome whatever you're playing.

Great - glad you like them I'm really enjoying playing them.

In regards to overriding and displacement, do you have a particular set of patterns you like to play or is it just as and when you do it/when the client asks? I'm currently involved in writing some quite intricate patterns with an original project, and they've asked for some displacement stuff, so any pointers would be helpful... Cheers a lot!

I don't have any particular patterns as really 'overriding' and 'displacement' are just concepts that you could apply to anything. Try taking any of your favourite rhythms and play them a 16th or 8th note displaced forwards or backwards. Sometimes it helps to write them out in the displaced position so that you can see and hear it as a 'new' rhythm.

Hi EvilDrummer

How do you get your ghost notes to be so articulate? Is it the few strands? I have a Sonor s classix 14x5 with die cast hoops that I tune pretty tight on the bottom and about two semitones lower on the top. I tighten the snare wires pretty tight but still loose enough to not sound like a tom on the weakest notes.Any advice on how to get that really articulate ghost note sound when it comes to tuning, head choice and playing style? Any advice on how you get them so even? Are you playing them as soft as possible?

If you feel like your snare drum is set up in a way to express articulate notes - then it's just down to your technique I'm afraid to say. Maybe try practising double stroke rolls on a pillow. I used to try to get the ghost notes whisper quiet - but whenever I heard a recording or a live board tape - I could never hear them inside the band. So I actually play them a bit harder these days - it kind of depends what other instruments are playing at the same time. You have to adapt to that on a song by song basis.

Hi Anhair

And I've got a question: is there a way I can get an original drum minus fo the PT song "Bonnie the cat" ? I've failed to find a place, where it could be bought

Sorry but I can't let that backing track out as it is a mix of the multi-track recording from the album (and it's owned collectively by the members of PT). There are 6 playalongs inside my book Rhythmic Designs of some of the tracks I made with 05Ric.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-23-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
If you feel like your snare drum is set up in a way to express articulate notes - then it's just down to your technique I'm afraid to say. Maybe try practising double stroke rolls on a pillow. I used to try to get the ghost notes whisper quiet - but whenever I heard a recording or a live board tape - I could never hear them inside the band. So I actually play them a bit harder these days - it kind of depends what other instruments are playing at the same time. You have to adapt to that on a song by song basis.

cheers
Gavin
Aha ok, I've experienced that as well, if there are distorted guitars there is no point to play any ghost notes. I heard you play the sound of muzak beat here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx36b3cbwvs

I fell in love with that beat and I literally practiced it for a year and got it down on my electronic kit to a point where I'm happy with it and got that tight Tu pa pa tup, pa very nice but my acoustic snare just won't get that sound. The problem is that the ghost notes aren't short enough. I've played with the sound on my electronic kit and I've noticed that if you want that feel you can't use a loose snare it has to be really tight. The problem is that my acoustic snare doesn't seem to get the ghost notes short enough (or I don't know how to hit them properly).

In any way could you share what heads you are using and what model of puresound wires do you use? I really really want that ghost note sound and if I can get all the other variables out of the way I will know for sure if it's my technique. Does the cutting down of the snare wires do anything for the tightness or is it just for controlling the amount of snare wire sound?

BTW is there any chance to see you in sweden in the foreseeable future?

Thanks Gavin
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM

Hi Gavin! Forgive me if you already answered this question previously:
Is it possible to get anywhere Porcupine Tree original records WITHOUT drums track?
I'm going to have an entry test and i'd like to play some of your great grooves :D
Thank you Master!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo92 View Post
Hi Gavin! Forgive me if you already answered this question previously:
Is it possible to get anywhere Porcupine Tree original records WITHOUT drums track?
I'm going to have an entry test and i'd like to play some of your great grooves :D
Thank you Master!
I'll answer: No. However there is an acoustic version of sound of muzak that I usually play along to.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 AM

Hi Gavin,

I was sequencing with my bass player the other day and he started playing this lick, of course i wanted to figure out what time signature it was in. First, i figured he was playing 8th note triplets. So since there are "12" 8th note triplets in a measure of 4/4, i then realized that he was playing "13"

So, my question arises, what is the time signature for "13" 8th not triplets? Would it be in a compound time? Please help!

M
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite View Post
Hi Gavin,

I was sequencing with my bass player the other day and he started playing this lick, of course i wanted to figure out what time signature it was in. First, i figured he was playing 8th note triplets. So since there are "12" 8th note triplets in a measure of 4/4, i then realized that he was playing "13"

So, my question arises, what is the time signature for "13" 8th not triplets? Would it be in a compound time? Please help!

M
I can try to answer... as far as i know the time signatures are all this kind:
n/2^x
in details: n/2, n/4, n/8, n/16, n/32, n/64 (usually we don't count 128th and over notes, but probably gavin is able to play them :P)
13 8th triplet notes are approximately 4,3333333333333..../4, so it is impossible to put them in a measure just like that. Irregular groups of triplets in general have this problem, i guess...
I'd suggest to consider these notes as 16th notes, so we would have a (quite) simple 13/16 = 3/4 + 1/16

I hope i wasn't too complicate, it was just a thought of the moment and i tried to share it the best i could :)
of course i'm waiting too for gavin's answer to this....
thank you for reading it, have a nice drumming pal :)

Francesco.

Last edited by Bonzo92; 08-27-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi EvilDrummer

In any way could you share what heads you are using and what model of puresound wires do you use? I really really want that ghost note sound and if I can get all the other variables out of the way I will know for sure if it's my technique. Does the cutting down of the snare wires do anything for the tightness or is it just for controlling the amount of snare wire sound? BTW is there any chance to see you in sweden in the foreseeable future?

The heads I use right now are Remo C.S on the top and Remo Ambassador snare side. The Puresound Snare wires are the Custom series - but I cut them down to just 8 strands in the middle. It does change the snare drum into more of a 'drum sound' and less of a 'snare' sound - but I find that I get enough 'snare' sound from just 8 wires. It probably does help with the articulation of ghost notes too. Unfortunately I have no plans at the moment to be playing in Sweden.

Hi Bonzo92

not available - sorry.

Hi Midnite

what exactly do you mean by 'sequencing'?..and what made you think he was playing some kind of triplets - couldn't it just be 3 groups of 3 and a 4? Was he accenting every 3rd note - or tapping his foot in every 3rd subdivision?..and if so what happened to his foot at the end of the bar?

You could of course just write it as 13/8 and if you were coming out of a bar of 4/4 triplets and really wanted that feel to continue you would write (at the end of the 4/4 bar) a little sign showing that a triplet 8th note = a straight 8th note in the following 13/8 bar.
Alternatively - if you really want to go CRAZY and play a bass drum on every 3rd subdivision of his pattern (no matter what) and INSIST that it has to be written in triplet form - you could write it as a bar of 39/8 (or triplets in 13/4) so that his bass line would play three times through it's cycle and you could play 13 even bass drum notes underneath it. Of course on the 2nd and 3rd times through his 13 note cycle your bass drum would effectively be displaced against it. But after a bar of 39/8 you would both arrive back on the 'one' together...and everything in the world could go back to normal.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Please Gavin forgive me for my last posts' same focus... is it possible to get somewhere "slippin' away" backing track, the one you play in Rhytmic Horizons, possibly without click?
Thank you for your patience :P
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo92 View Post
Please Gavin forgive me for my last posts' same focus... is it possible to get somewhere "slippin' away" backing track, the one you play in Rhytmic Horizons, possibly without click?
Thank you for your patience :P
I guess some people already asked.. Not available
Old 09-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
I guess some people already asked.. Not available
You are right, i'm sorry i didn't find the previous post on my first search, now i got it.
So it seems to be unavailable... for that i wrote it midi on Cubase and passed it in mp3, click track too. i'm not sure is permitted to post here a rapidshare link for the download... if it is, please let me know so i'll be happy to share my little work with you (sounds are not 100% accurate, but notes should be correct).
Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Hi Gavin,
Do you have any issues with sweaty hands when playing?
Ive started using the vic grip sticks and theyre great up until my hands start sweating and then they start slipping like crazy.
Also do you know any methods to reduce how sweaty your hands get when playing?
Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 PM

Hi Gavin,
You've given the drumming community so much - inspiration from your playing, videos, transcriptions, interviews, instructional DVDs and albums playing with great people.

Somewhere along the way in this blog you mentioned something that benefited you - the book, "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner. I wanted to let you know I bought that book and once again I'm motivated about playing as another influence from you has touched me.

Thanks Gavin,
Stuart
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 PM

Gavin,

I have noticed on your newest album with 05Ric that there are a lot of songs where you use linear notes (preferrably between the hi-hat/bass). If I'm not mistaken, I believe linear notes are those that are not played simultaneously. One note follows the other right?

Examples include;
The Man Who Sold Himself @ 1:09
Identitas @ 2.09
Awake @ 1:13

Just thought I'd point out that I've never heard so much linear drumming on one album.

Thanks for your time

Eric
Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi JakkP

Do you have any issues with sweaty hands when playing?
Ive started using the vic grip sticks and theyre great up until my hands start sweating and then they start slipping like crazy. Also do you know any methods to reduce how sweaty your hands get when playing?

I can't say I've had that much trouble with sweaty hands. I can feel more grip confidence with the Vic Grip sticks (despite dropping one in the middle of my Dave Letterman performance haha). Can you dry your hands in between songs on a towel? I believe there is a couple of other solutions - a product called "Gorilla Snot" (I'm not joking) and there's some kind of powder that sports people use - like weight lifters etc. - neither of which I've ever tried.

Hi drumstu

Somewhere along the way in this blog you mentioned something that benefited you - the book, "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner. I wanted to let you know I bought that book and once again I'm motivated about playing as another influence from you has touched me.

thanks - I'm glad you like the book - I found it a good help.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I have noticed on your newest album with 05Ric that there are a lot of songs where you use linear notes (preferrably between the hi-hat/bass). If I'm not mistaken, I believe linear notes are those that are not played simultaneously. One note follows the other right?
Examples include;
The Man Who Sold Himself @ 1:09
Identitas @ 2.09
Awake @ 1:13
Just thought I'd point out that I've never heard so much linear drumming on one album.

That's correct - and usually there's snare ghost notes filling in between the main hi hat, snare drum and bass drum notes. I find linear patterns kind of interesting and challenging to play and a really nice way to compose. In fact the verse pattern of Identitas is all 4 way linear (a 27 note cycle) which sounds scary - but as you can hear in the second verse at 2:09 it's just 3 x 7 plus a 6. Then I superimpose a 3/16 override on the hi hat (because 3 divides into 27 by 9)

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin!

Just wanted to pop in and say I'll be checking out your Clinic here in Ottawa on Sept 25!!

Can't wait :)

Cheers!