DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:26 PM

Default Drum Lessons Problems

Okay so lately i have been looking for a good drum teacher and I am a little confused with a few things.

After contacting a few teachers, I have noticed that most usually go for $20+ for a 30 minute lesson, with prices usually nearer to $30 than $20. My parents think this is outrageous, and I think they may be right, to basically pay for a dollar a minute for a lesson. Why is this and are all teachers this expensive?

Also, how long should I take lessons? If I take these lessons, at what point should I take time off from a teacher or just practice myself? If I take lessons all the time, learning to drum can be real pricey, and that's not good.

Finally, what can i really get from only 30 minutes of instruction? I know that experience with a teacher is vital to learning to play correctly, but how useful is it in only 30 minute increments? It just seems like a short time to get so much instruction in, which may not be worth a dollar a minute.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drum Lessons Problems

I think it depends on the teacher. I pay $40 an hour for my son to study with a top teaching professor. He is a total pro and knows exactly what he's doing. So the price is resonable. I'd want credentials and a list of students the teacher has produced.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 PM

Yeah, lessons can get pricy. What I would suggest is ask these instructors if they will do something like 4 lessons for $30 per and the 5th is free. There's a lot of instructors (including my mom who teaches piano) that will work out a good deal for students intrested and committed to taking them.

As for 30 mins lessons, that's about right. Some will go for an hour or so, but kind of really depends on the teacher and the student. You would be amazed at what a good instructor can teach you in such a small amount of time.

I would take lessons for as long as you can. At least for a couple of years, that way you can get a good solid foundation in which you can expand using your own creativity. As a drummer your room for growth is never-ending, so soak up everything you can.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Some teachers merit the rate and others don't. I always have potential students look over my bio to see what I have done and who I've studied with. Most have no problem with my rate after reviewing my info.

Also remember that when I study, I pay $100/hr. plus gas/tolls/food/etc... I bring what I have learned from the masters to my students. So I feel I am worth my asking price.

BUT if someone has no experience or education, you don't have to only question their knowledge - you have to ask yourself if they should be teaching at all.

And yes - $20-30 per half hour is a usual rate for hometown teachers. $80-100+ per hour is usually what you would expect to pay off a top professional.

Jeff
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

I assume from the comment about your parents that you are pretty young and still live at home. $30 for a 30 minute lesson from a local teacher once a week is pretty standard. The important thing to remember is that this is only once per week, and that this is not the only time you practice each week!

What will usually happen in that 30 minutes is that your instructor will review something that they taught you last time by asking you to play an exercise that you played last week, then move to the next set of exercises and he/she will watch you and help you with proper grip, stick control, etc.... These exercises usually come from a standard series of books (you have to pay for these, too!), or from a set of exercises that your teacher has come up with. Most start out with really basic stuff and give you a set of handouts with some of the basics in it. Before you leave, the instructor will give you homework (no! not homework!) to practice for next week. YOU HAVE TO PRACTICE a little each day. Don't try to practice for 15 minutes right before your lesson. It will show and you will be wasting your parents money!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

Hey guys, im surprised at the cost of some of these lessons. How much does $30 work out in pounds? bout 20?

I am a teacher and charge 20 per hour at my place. This is in line with the standard rate for someone like me.

The guy i periodically study with (once every 6 months or so) charges me 15 per half hour. He is my old college tutor, hand technique man great experienced player.

How long to study for? I find half an hour sometimes isn't enough tp cover everything in a lesson but it depends on your needs and your concentration levels.

And study for as long as you can afford. There will come a time when you want a break and thats cool just make sire that break isnt totally driven by the finances if at all possible.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Major
Professional Drummer
www.dave-major.com
Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

I got lucky and found a guy here in town that only charges $25 for an hour lesson. He has this down to a science so he usually takes on sever students at a time. Great teacher though.

I doubt you'd find a deal like that in Southern CA but its really worth looking around. Try going to your local music store and ask who they'd recommend. I found my teacher through a friend that works at a local store.

As for your other question, Just make sure this teacher knows his stuff and is able to relate to you in a manner that you get. It doesn't matter if this guy's a killer drummer, if he can't relate it to you in a manner that you understand then save your money. Most teachers will be willing to give you a free lesson so you get a feel for their style.

Dave, I never realized that the Scots use GBP. Narrow on my part but I suppose I've just never thought about that... I learned something today.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 AM

My only advice to you is do as much research as you can. Oh, and definately ask for references. I have found quite a bit of rate variation in my area. I have been playing less than a year so I can't justify a huge hourly rate from a well known professional. I can learn from someone who can teach at my level for significantly less. Also, while I know 30 min is standard, I don't think it's enough time to warm up, review and move on to something new. I've done 30 min and I've done an hour. I won't pay for lessons that run less than 45 min., but that's just me. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

A dollar a minute for a professional's time? You pay a lot more for a plumber. A solicitor will charge $6-7 per minute.

I get paid over $40 ph and I don't have any of the overheads that a drum teacher has ... studio hire, equipment, learning materials ... plus I get annual leave, sick leave, superannuation etc.

A dollar per minute is perfectly reasonable for a trained professional IMO. Also remember that a single lesson is capable of providing information that can take years to master.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migaluch View Post
After contacting a few teachers, I have noticed that most usually go for $20+ for a 30 minute lesson, with prices usually nearer to $30 than $20. My parents think this is outrageous, and I think they may be right, to basically pay for a dollar a minute for a lesson. Why is this and are all teachers this expensive?
Someone else can better explain why things cost what they do, but I can tell you that unqualified or brand new teachers may be cheaper, but are a rotten value for your money. You're either paying someone to learn how to teach you, or for giving you bad information. If you get lucky, you may get a new teacher who learns quickly enough and is engaged enough to actually be of some use to you. An unqualified teacher is just feeding you garbage with 0 or negative value- he's actually costing you more money by wasting your time and slowing you down.

Quote:
Also, how long should I take lessons? If I take these lessons, at what point should I take time off from a teacher or just practice myself? If I take lessons all the time, learning to drum can be real pricey, and that's not good.
Take them as long as you can afford it. Make sure you're getting the most value from the time you do have with a teacher by practicing a lot- learn your lessons completely every week. You have to practice a lot whether you're studying with a teacher or not.

Quote:
Finally, what can i really get from only 30 minutes of instruction? I know that experience with a teacher is vital to learning to play correctly, but how useful is it in only 30 minute increments? It just seems like a short time to get so much instruction in, which may not be worth a dollar a minute.
30 minutes is not ideal- an hour is better- but it is definitely better than nothing. Progress tends to be a little slower because there isn't as much time to correct persistent bad habits or to walk through more than maybe one difficult/new thing per lesson. I wouldn't get too hung up on that dollar/minute equation. A dollar is not very much money these days.