DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Re: PROTECT YOUR EARS.

I finally got through the hole thread, pfew a lot of double posting, but still there was nobody who uses toiletpaper as earplugs! well i do and even after several hours of practise i dont have the slightest ringing nor pain, but does that mean it's good enough? Or do i have to wait 10 years for the answer? When i put it in the sound is reduced drastically but i dont know if it's completely airtight - would i be able to hear if it's not airtight? i mean can it sound airtight and not be at all and thus harming my ears?

Btw i believe that this is the cheapest of all earplugs, but they are pretty hard to clean though;)
Old 06-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

You need to get proper ear protection. Toilet paper may prevent you from having any pain or whatnot but it does not protect your ears.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:00 PM

I can attest to what many years of playing without ear protection can do. I have tinnitus, and can only describe it as a constant ringing in my ears. There is no escaping the ringing - ever. Remember going to a loud concert and going to bed that night? Your ears were no doubt ringing (if it was a good concert!). Well, this is what it's like 24/7. It also removes frequencies that you're not aware of. As an example, in my office I have a paper shredder which has an "alarm" when it's full. A coworker was complaining of a high pitched sound that was driving him crazy, only to find out it was my shredder. I couldn't hear it, and it sits right next to me!!!!!! It apparently was in a frequency that has been eliminated or drastically diminished in my hearing.

Please take this thread seriously. BTW, I now wear protection religiously to save whatever hearing I have left....

Saint
Old 06-30-2006, 01:15 PM

Inspired by this thread, yesterday i tried some of those foam thingies i had lying around - i didn't use to like them because i almost couldn't hear anything through them - but when i popped them in my pearl export sounded all "prokit like", great!!!! I guess it's because last time i played with those plugs was in a different room... well i' ve got a little bit of buzzing in my ears last night but i guess it might be for not fitting them properly....
Old 06-30-2006, 03:46 PM

I remember having a practice with a local band, to see if I was interested, sort of meet and greet thing. I declined earplugs they offered me because I didn't know some of the songs and didn't want to miss anything.
The volume they played at just for a practice was astounding, It was the only time I've cracked a cymbal because of how hard I was hitting it, and I could barely hear it. After an hour I couldn't hear a conversation 7ft away, it was just ringing.

I get those yellow foam earplugs for free at work... not that we're allowed to use them at work, because it apparently interferes with us hearing horns from machinery. They're just legally obliged to provide them.
I took another 20 pairs tonight and stashed them in cymbal cases, my stick bag and hardware case.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:07 PM

Are there any other opinions on the toiletpaper/cottonballs?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Hearing Protection...!!

Hi guys,

I have been playing drums for 7 years and one of my biggest concerns in this meantime has been HOW to protect effectivelly my hearing from the excessive level of noise.

I have used the Vic Firth Isolation headphones (db22), some 3M intra-auricular plugs and recently I have bought also a Shure E2 in-ear phone... As you can see I am REALLY concerned about protecting my hearing!!

But the thing is that when playing in live situations or even in studio the decibels can easily reach 115/120, and Using a E2, or a Db22 seems not to be enough to protect our hearing from potential damge (hearing loss)...

To be honest even using the E2 in a low volume + the Db22, sometimes when I finish to practice (playing along my mp3) I feel that my hearing was a little bit damaged...

What other possible protection do you know or use???

Regards
Old 07-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Hearing Protection...!!

I'm not sure if you would've given these a go yet, but I can highly recommend Doc's Proplugs. I've had a set since last Christmas (seven months now) and they have made a massive and noticable difference to the condition of my ears after practice. Admittedly I'm not a particularly loud player, but these ear plugs are relatively cheap and do an exceptional job in my experience.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Consultant

I suggest you go to an audiologist and go over your concerns with him

For band practice I use the foam earplugs with about a 30 dB noise reduction level. For gigs I use the "musicians" earplugs with a 22 db reduction. Flatter frequency response.

Check out this site, I buy my plugs there, best prices and info. www.earplugstore.com.

They also make these foam plugs that are designed for guys firing artillery that just cut out TONS of DB. Too much for me but might be what you want.

You're smart, I was stupid when I was younger and now my right ear has about 30% hearing loss. It SUCKS!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilherme BSB
Hi guys,

I have been playing drums for 7 years and one of my biggest concerns in this meantime has been HOW to protect effectivelly my hearing from the excessive level of noise.

I have used the Vic Firth Isolation headphones (db22), some 3M intra-auricular plugs and recently I have bought also a Shure E2 in-ear phone... As you can see I am REALLY concerned about protecting my hearing!!

But the thing is that when playing in live situations or even in studio the decibels can easily reach 115/120, and Using a E2, or a Db22 seems not to be enough to protect our hearing from potential damge (hearing loss)...

To be honest even using the E2 in a low volume + the Db22, sometimes when I finish to practice (playing along my mp3) I feel that my hearing was a little bit damaged...

What other possible protection do you know or use???

Regards
You sound like me lol!

With the E2C's I doubt you could get any better, when fitted properly they have 30 to 35db isolation depending on which adapters you choose.

I'm surpised that you say that even the E2C's dont seem to be enough protection. My band tends to play pretty loud, and even me being a bit paranoid, I feel pretty satisfied.

I don't understant how you could have your ears damaged with that kind of gear, unless:
a) you are monitoring or you have a sound source too loud in the E2C's;
b) you have not fitted them properly or you have not chosen the right adapters.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Christopher.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:36 PM

That's actually a great site! Although it's in the US, it's still a great place to see what avaiable on the market!!

We get the sprak plugs for free at work, but i think they're to small for me. Sometimes when i have them in if i kind of open my mouth then it can create a little airhole so the sound goes though with no reduction at all and that's pretty dangerous i think! And we all now that drummers have no control of their facial muscels while playing, right?!! ;) So i guess i need some bigger one's, or at least some that expand very rapidly so they can close the hole right away, and not like the spark plugs which are very slow. you have to wait for some 15 seconds after you put them in before you can play!!!

Are there no comments on the toiletpaper/cottonballs???
Old 07-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle my snizzle
Are there no comments on the toiletpaper/cottonballs???
Why do you want more comments? That stuff just does not protect your ears period.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:48 AM

You of course see it as a fact that paper wont protect the ears, but i am not sure because i've only seen one guy on an internet site claiming that it's a fact. It doesn't make it a fact that more people would say the same thing, but it does make it much more likely.

So i dont mean to disrespect your opinion and i hope you understand my point :)
Old 07-04-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
You of course see it as a fact that paper wont protect the ears, but i am not sure because i've only seen one guy on an internet site claiming that it's a fact. It doesn't make it a fact that more people would say the same thing, but it does make it much more likely.

DRUM magazine, May 2006, page 28: "Ordinary cotton balls or tissue paper wads pressed into the ear canals are very poor ear protectors"

"cotton and tissue are useless" http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_at_risk.shtml

From the American Academy of Otolaryngology (http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/hea..._hearing.cfm): "Ordinary cotton balls or tissue paper wads stuffed into the ear canals are very poor protectors; they reduce noise only by approximately 7 dB."

The consensus among the experts is clear -- ask any audiologist, MD, or aging rocker. Since it's your hearing, I think you owe it to yourself to check it out more thoroughly.

Personally, I have used the 20dB one size fits all flat attentuation earplugs (no sound distortion unlike regular plugs) that cost about $20, made by Hearos or Macks, before shelling out for some custom fitted 25dB flat attenuators. I can hear all the parts in the music better with them in -- my ears aren't so overwhelmed.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

I see it as a fact because I've done research on ear protecting by reading about it in Modern Drummer, Internet etc. (And I believe you should have done the same.) If that not enough for you just read the post above.

Peace out,
Christopher
Old 07-04-2006, 05:46 PM

Thank you guys for posting! On thursday i'll go to the biggest store in Denmark and see what they got.

:)
Old 07-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thank you guys for posting! On thursday i'll go to the biggest store in Denmark and see what they got.

:)
I'm happy to read that, take care of your ears, and enjoy yourself playing!!

All the best,
Christopher.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

What's the cheapest way I can protect my ears? I have no money.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435
What's the cheapest way I can protect my ears? I have no money.
Those yellow foam ear-plugs they cost near nothin' and in some places you can get them for free.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Post gig ear trouble, any advice please?. . .

Hi guys,

Last night I done a gig and forgot my ear plugs. The room was the worst for acoustics ive ever seen, all wooden floors etc and the sound was very loud and boomy, especially in the bass frequencies, to the point where things almost sounded out of tune even though they were not.

Today Ive woken up and my right ear feels very uncomfortable, its extremely sensitive, yet feels a bit muffled at the same time, my balance feels a bit off, I occasionally get a strange pulsating sensation in my ear, and finally the area around my ear, temple, and above my right eye, feels very hot and slightly numb.

I have no ringing in my ear and have certainly not gone deaf in one side, but I am really beginning to feel concerned about it now. I am gonna go see my doctor tommorow morning but I am wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar to rest my mind?

Thanks for your help as always

Neil
Old 07-09-2006, 11:27 PM

Default Post gig ear trouble, any advice??

Hi Guys,

Last night I did a gig and forgot to take my ear plugs. The room was horrid, the sound in there was extremely loud and very boomy, especially in the bass end frequencies.

This morning I woke up and am having some troubles with my right ear. Its very sensitive to noise, although sounds are also slightly muffled at the same. I get a 'pulsating' sensation every now and again in my ear, my balance has become slightly off and finally, the area around my ear, temple and above my right eye is fairly hot to touch, and also feels slightly numb.

I am getting concerned about this as ive never had this problem before, only ever had the usual slight ring after finishing a gig which has usually gone by time I awoke the following day, so I will be seeing my doctor ASAP.

Have any of you guys experienced this or anything similar? I dont have any ringing in the ear, nor do I have a loss of hearing, just a bit muffled. I would really appreciate anyone taking the time to rest my mind on this.

Thanks as always guys.

Neil
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Post gig ear trouble, any advice??

wow that sounds odd but its never happened to me
Old 07-10-2006, 04:32 AM

I had an eardrum rupture in the middle of the night. I could not walk to the bathroom to vomit, I had to crawl.

Sounds like you have a pretty bad ear infection that was exacerbated by the extra loud noise. Do see your doctor and share with us what he/she has determined so we can learn too....
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

that's no good man. do tell us what the doctor has to say. good luck.

and zumba zumba, what was the cause of your ruptured ear drum?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Pioneer Member

The best advice I could give you is see a doctor ASAP and don't forget your ear plugs ever again.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter
that's no good man. do tell us what the doctor has to say. good luck.

and zumba zumba, what was the cause of your ruptured ear drum?
As far as I could tell it was a nasty (as opposed to good) inner ear infection.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Hey guys,

Been the doctors today, she took a look and decided pretty quickly that there was an ear infection goin on in there. I hope she is right, the only thing that puzzles me is why this would happen after an uncomfortably loud gig, surely not just a coincidence?!

Anyway been given some anti-biotics so I hope they start to work pretty quickly because I am going to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers tommorow and then on Wednesday goin to see the one and only VINNIE COLAIUTA playing with Jeff Beck, followed by 3 gigs of my own on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Couldnt have come at a worse time! argh!!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:31 PM

Default Beware of Tinnitus!

Tinnitus is a really scary thing that could happen to any drummer. A lot of the young drummers out there just go to loud concerts and play drums without ear plugs, not even knowing what the repercussions are. Tinnitus is FOREVER and if I had it, it would just drive me insane. For for info go here > Beware of Tinnitus Drum Article

Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Beware of Tinnitus!

I think I heard that Eric Clapton had that.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

My drum teacher has it so I know about it.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I developed an intermittent form a few years ago when I fired a cap gun in my ear. Not big, not clever. It only ever comes up for a few minutes and it's not too often, but it is damn annoying. Always, always, for the love of God wear ear plugs. Or ear defenders. Or SOMETHING to protect your ears. I recommend Doc's Proplugs. I've been using them for seven months now and I wouldn't know where I'd be without them.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
IDDrummer

I have tinnitus constantly in my right ear, and a fair amount of hearing loss, as well. I wish I'd known when I was younger that i needed protection.

I find that I don't notice it too much if there is some other sound, but when things are quiet it can bug me. I also notice when it comes up in conversation, like now!

I still have trouble being comfortable with earplugs, but i try to wear some kind of hearing protection as often as possible. I don't want it to get worse.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 PM

I became wise and started using protection 10 years ago or so...I even take some small plugs when I see a show.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:54 AM

My singer goes into denial whenever i tell him that you should wear ear plugs (never listen to your singer btw) and he says that his ears can hack it and they are stronger than regular ears...we practise 1-2 a week for about 5 hours each time...that ten hours of exposure to db's of over 200 atleast (hard rock band)...anybody got any ways i can get him to use earplugs?...maybe a scare factor or something
Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 PM

Default Ear Protection

I've been thinking recently and I really really want som kind of ear protection for drumming at practices and gigs. Docs pro plugs are what I've been looking at. But I just came across some "Alacin ER20" ear plugs that are the same price and are apparently made in a similar way to their 150 plugs (something like that anyway). So could someone who has experience with these please tell me what my best option would be? Oh, also, are docs pro plugs better vented or non vented?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ear Protection

I'm looking into ear protection, too. I'm not too fond of earplugs (sticking something into my ear is not my idea of a good time) and I was thinking of going with the Vic Firth Isolation Headphones. They claim to reduce ambient noise by 22-24dB, plus you can listen to music.

Can you give some more information on the plugs you're looking at? They seem to be UK-only. What dB rating do they have?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 PM

I honestly dont have a clue. The Docs Pro Plugs are meant to be very good and are what most poor musicians seem to use and recommend. The others I mentioned look terrible. They arent see through and basically make it pretty much as obvious as possible that you're wearing ear plugs - stupid looking ones at that.
Heres a link to the Docs Pro Plugs: http://proplugs.com/musicandnoise.shtml
Seems to be around 20dB reduction. While the Vic Firth headphones seem good, they arent very practical. I honestly cant imagine going and playing at a gig with those on... And when I play to music at home I already have some isolating sony headphones (basically cheap, less effective versions of the firths) and some isolating earbuds. Wearing both of these basically lets me hear what I'm listening to really clearly while blocking much of my drumming sound.
Still not sure if I should get vented or non... Vented ones seem kinda uneffective on that chart of theirs =\
Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I've been using Doc's Proplugs since last Christmas, and I must say they're excellent. The reduction is more than sufficient for most musical situations and the clarity of the sound is much better than with cheaper foam plugs. They fit very well if you get the right size. Certainly no complaints.

Highly recommended.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:13 PM

MFB, do you have vented or non-vented? The site recommends vented for musicians, but they don't really seem to have much dB reduction.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

I use these, they were recommended to me by our bass player who works for rolls royce testing thier jet engines or whatever it is he does http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx he uses them himself at practice and at work, they reduce the overall volume level evenly keeping things nice and clear.

The only problem I find with using ear protection, is that it doesn't matter to me how good or even the overall effect is, there's still no substitue for that flinch and twitch when you hit a killer rim on a cranked up snare hehe you just don't get the same feeling fropm playing so I usually end up playing without