DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Super-simple drumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
Ha ha, thanks. You're one of about 5 to 10 people who bother to read my posts. Let alone respond.

Oh and Keep it simple, yes I am familiar with your posts. That one caught me off guard.

Wy, I always read your posts. I responded because it seemed to me the thread has been 'overworked', even though interesting. Your post was to me an exclaimation and a wrap up of what some might have liked to think or say, but you did it first... and you did it best... SCOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRE ... and hopfully with that was the final word... thank God!.... opps, oh nooooooo... it goes on and on and onandonaondlonoalsdknga...... lol
Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 AM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheruff View Post
Wy, I always read your posts. I responded because it seemed to me the thread has been 'overworked', even though interesting. Your post was to me an exclaimation and a wrap up of what some might have liked to think or say, but you did it first... and you did it best... SCOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRE ... and hopfully with that was the final word... thank God!.... opps, oh nooooooo... it goes on and on and onandonaondlonoalsdknga...... lol

Cheers mate.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Erskine has a good saying. He doesn't feel the need to leave his fingerprints all over the scene of the crime anymore.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, intheruff, the thread did go around in cicles later on. That always happens in long threads on web forums because newcomers often find it too much to read and repeat comments already made, which then prompts repeated responses.

Wy, I always read your posts. But you already know that.

Donv, that Peter Erskine saying is great. I guess once a drummer has a rep like his there's nothing to prove. Not that I've ever heard him play super-simply, but I guess it's relative.

Whatever, in my experience most non-drummers seem to relate more to monster beats than monster fills or beats that sound tricky (not to be confused with difficult beats that sound simple).
Old 11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Even "super simple" drumming has nuances and elements that don't hit you right in the face. Ringo for example, I think can be safely classified as a simple drummer. But there are little touches, nuances, shading and such that he does that makes it work so well.

Just because the guy isn't doing 32nd notes with his forehead doesn't mean it's mindless.

Some drummers support from within and what they contribute is not immediately apparent unless you really dig deep to hear the subtleties. I for one prefer simple drumming with nuances and subtleties that you have to dig a little for over complex "in your face" drumming. Lead drums don't do it for me.
Drums, to me, are the support braces not the facade.

I would love to hear Ringo play Rush's "Tom Sawyer". I can only imagine what he would do with that.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Even "super simple" drumming has nuances and elements that don't hit you right in the face. Ringo for example, I think can be safely classified as a simple drummer. But there are little touches, nuances, shading and such that he does that makes it work so well.

Just because the guy isn't doing 32nd notes with his forehead doesn't mean it's mindless.

Some drummers support from within and what they contribute is not immediately apparent unless you really dig deep to hear the subtleties. I for one prefer simple drumming with nuances and subtleties that you have to dig a little for over complex "in your face" drumming. Lead drums don't do it for me.
Drums, to me, are the support braces not the facade.

I would love to hear Ringo play Rush's "Tom Sawyer". I can only imagine what he would do with that.
Well it still boils down to concept, context and application as I mentioned in a earlier post. What is "right" and musical for the task at hand can vary greatly based on many elements for the music at hand you have to always consider which can cover ALOT of musical ground with not ONE singular approach that will compliment ALL STYLES OF MUSIC. Super simple playing has its place IN THE CONTEXT of the music being played and fits what is needed for the music to a tee no question. Busy more up front in the mix drumming being more active/pro-active with the other musicians in the musical mix but with all the finer underlying nuances in place has its RIGHTFUL PLACE in the appropriate CONTEXT of the music being played in that setting in question.

Both work IF you are approaching them with more of a mature sensitive intuitive musical ear for knowing what makes {whatever drumming approach/concept} FIT for the music being played with individual requirements per given music which can vary GREATLY in application on that subject.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Steve Jordan's the man :)