DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 AM

Default How long do you drum it up every day

I play for at least 2 hours a day but on average probably 3
Old 05-28-2009, 05:00 AM

Default Re: How long do you drum it up every day

Usually 2 hours a day of legit practice. I work 2 jobs so there are days where practice time is hard to come by, but on those days I'll try to work in some practice pad time.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:09 AM

At least an hour daily, usually more
Old 05-28-2009, 05:31 AM

until i get hungry, so about 2 or 3 straight hours after school, and periodically through the weekends until i get a call from a friend
Old 05-28-2009, 05:46 AM
Gold Member

A thread on this topic as of about 4 days (I think) ago was active, and there's a search function too, but in this case, scrolling down for a teensy weensy bit might have answered your question.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 PM

Sometimes 10 minutes can be as effective as 2 hours of practice, so it all depends on the concept of time. If we are looking for reward through time of practice it is a dead end unless we get results. Lately I have been listening to news podcasts whilst doing exercises, but the brain isn't really working hard, more of a muscle thing. Real practice seems to involve working the brain. Its all about accessing ideas on the gig, so listening is part of this question in my view.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM

i drum at school for an hour and 15 minutes, and, at home for two to three hours, i nevedr get hungry, untill i'm done
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM

An hour a day.. AT LEAST. I can literally kill my weekend when I buy something new for my kit.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a stay-at-home dad, so I don't get to practice hardly ever. The only drumming I do anymore is when I'm teaching or gigging, which is several times a week. I'm basically just "maintaining" my craft until the kids are old enough to go to school.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 PM

I average 50 minutes a day, some days 1.5 hours some days 1/2 hour some days not at all. I usually practice at least 6 days a week.

Dan
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
MSPaintClock
This message has been deleted by MSPaintClock.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

I try to get at least 1-3 hours a day by myself, and then I will go teach, or have practice with a group or be in the studio with an artist or band, depending on what day.

Today I think I spent 11 hour behind the kit if you cound teaching and practice with a group I am recording with.
YouTube
Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 PM

For me I would rather sit behind my practice kit 5 mins everyday than 8 hours one day & then not at all for days on end... but at the mo my baby boy has stolen my drum room (& my time!) so its rehearsals & gigs only for me couple a times a week :-(
Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

With a VERY busy schedule @ work and wife and kids @ home I practice what I can get in when I can get it in...too often I have shown up to my lessons only to tell my teacher that I hardly put any practice in; I would LOVE to have more time, I would LOVE to have more energy when I get home to take care of everything else and still practice later in the evening, but its just not a reality for now.

I just love the fact that I FINALLY got a kit and that I am FINALLY taking lessons and moving into becoming a drummer as I have always wanted so for me I will take whatever I can put into it and be blessed and HAPPY with it, as well as thankful that my wife did not freak out when I bought a kit and tell me to get out!!!! She is actually supportive and happy that I finally did what I said I always wanted to do.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
With a VERY busy schedule @ work and wife and kids @ home I practice what I can get in when I can get it in...too often I have shown up to my lessons only to tell my teacher that I hardly put any practice in; I would LOVE to have more time, I would LOVE to have more energy when I get home to take care of everything else and still practice later in the evening, but its just not a reality for now.

I just love the fact that I FINALLY got a kit and that I am FINALLY taking lessons and moving into becoming a drummer as I have always wanted so for me I will take whatever I can put into it and be blessed and HAPPY with it, as well as thankful that my wife did not freak out when I bought a kit and tell me to get out!!!! She is actually supportive and happy that I finally did what I said I always wanted to do.
Your attitude and spirit is an inspiration, it's nice to have you around to lift the collective mood of the place.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

I usually play for about 15 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes at lunch, and about an hour broken up through the rest of the day.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:31 AM

Usually 1 hour playing to music. That's 30 minutes a side on my cassette tape recorder. Some days up to an hour or so of just bashin' away instead.

When a day goes by and I didn't play, I feel like I blew it, I could have gotten 1 days' worth of improvement. When I did play, no matter how lousy, I think, "at least I played."

drumhead61, way to go!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 AM

I practice about an hour and a half every day.
35 minutes- Book Stick Control
5-10 minutes- Playing around on Kit
20 minutes- Playing from book 4-way-Coordination
10 minutes- Break
35 minutes- Fast track Drum Book that I got from my teacher

I'm usually done after this, I might play to a song or two on youtube, but the drum book I use at the end comes with an audio CD, allowing me to play the included beats to music.

I've been playing for about two months, and I feel that I have been making great progress with this schedule.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Gold Member

5:30 to 8:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Friday's I practice from 3 to 5 and play the half-time show at local football games. Saturdays I travel and headline with other bands, sometimes I head to another show the next day.

Oh, wait, you meant on drum set.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Most days just about 1/2 to 1 hour.
Two practices a week that each last 2 to 3 hours.
One gig per month.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

Man, I read your replies and it makes me wanna cry. :( Most of you don't know how lucky you are!!!

I'm 22. From monday to friday I get up around 6:30 AM, go to college in the morning, then go to work and twice a week I must go back to college at night until 10 PM. The earliest I can get home is around 7 PM. Gotta go to drum lessons, bass lessons, study for school and try to keep my girlfriend. This semester I don't even mind trying to go to the gym as I am so exhausted.

I don't get to drum every day. Not even close. I'm happy if I can squeeze 30 minutes of pad two times a week and an hour or two of kit on the weekends.

Anyway.. enjoy your drumming time to the fullest!! Cheers.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

I try to set aside about an hour everyday at home. But at work I get to practice too and keep a practice pad about to work on technique stuff and just drilling between doing other things.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

I aim for a dedicated 45 mins to an hour of either kit or practice station (couple of pads including foot pad and hi hat with mutes set up like a basic makeshift kit) each day. I'd be totally lying if I said it was always achievable though.

Outside of that, I'm forever noodling on a practice pad whilst watching telly etc......at least until my wife tells me to shut it and threatens me with divorce if she "has to listen to any more of that bloody tap, tap, tap." Fair cop I guess....I've always been one to push the boundaries of decency. :-)
Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

2-3 hours mostly, sometimes more. (Beginner/1 year of practice/no full kit/snare & hihat & several pads & double pedal & kick pad.)

This time typically includes 30-60 min isolated left hand exercises (e.g. when working at the PC - left hand: trad grip mostly) and about 1 hour working my feet (one foot at a time, or double bass - heel up, heel-toe) when I'm at the PC (the double pedal is right below my PC workdesk - I'm going at 200 bpm or so for minutes right now while typing...). Basically I'm a guitarist but I'm neglecting the el. and ac. guitar as soon as I got into drums. In the evening, at the weekend or whenever time allows I combine all my hardware to switch between hihat and double pedal play.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

As someone mentioned, it's really more important what happens in the time spent behind
the kit, rather than how long per se.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

On an average week, I play six out of the seven days. My free day is usually Friday. On the weekdays I shoot for three hours of solid practice, working on college stuff which right now includes reading exercises, Horacio's book, The New Breed, going over Riley's comp figures at up tempos, The Rudimental Ritual and a couple of other stuff, I usually do this at morning, take my classes during the day and the afternoon/night is for studying for my other classes and practicing ear training and solfege. Saturdays, I usually spend all day practicing, from 11-5 working on the college material and just letting loose, blowing chops and working on groove and feeling on different styles. Then Sunday I'll get in about an hour to go over the college material, since my class is on Mondays. Add to that like 30-45 minutes of pad workout a day and that's pretty much my schedule right now.

Having said that, I didn't play at all yesterday and asides from some pad action, won't be playing today, I made a little exception so I could go to the Percussion Festival going on right now, but tomorrow I resume my normal practice schedule.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

It really varies for me. I tend to lose focus after about twenty minutes but go an several times, so probably at least an hour a day on my actual kit. Up to another half an hour on the pad. Nothing too serious.

I've started thinking that if I took it all more seriously I could be playing to a high standard within two years. That's not my goal but the only things standing between are my focus and having the funding to do so.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

1-2 hrs/day on the kit usually (sometimes 3-4 if I'm lucky). If the wife is home all day, then I'll still try to do and 45-60min on the pad(s).
Old 09-02-2011, 05:35 PM

On the days I practise - 2 hours on the kit. 30 mins warm-up (6 5-minute exercises of my own devising) then 1 1/2 hours of varying exercises - there are about 20 in total. Some days I'll manage to work through only one exercise - other days I might manage two or even three. It all depends on the exercises complexity and the difficulty for me.

I manage to do this 4 or 5 days a week. This means that I restart the whole routine every month or so.

At the moment I've just joined a new band and so all my time (apart from the warm up) is taken up with learning 20+ new songs. I'll probably spend another week doing this before getting back to the serious routine stuff.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

My brother and sister are home all day, so i can practise for one hour every day. I don't really practise the pad, since, my brother think it's noisy too, - and we're sharing room.

I like to play for 1 hour every day, rather than 2 hours split up all over.. I kinda got the feeling that i learn more when not playing, i just play what i've learned while thinking about it.
I usually manage to keep a track going in my head, so precise that I can play on my legs meanwhile. Also, when i take a bus, sit in the car, are in school - i drum on everything, all the time. My friends hate me.... Well good luck to you. Hope you'll be more favoured when your gym is over :)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Working class sots like myself who commute 1 hour to work either way, it's a bit hard to squeeze in practice. After being an IT manager for 8, 9, 10 hours a day, it's back home for dinner and usually a catch up converstation on the day's events with my wife. So around 9 pm is usually when I may get some time to practice, that is if I'm not having to run errands or take care of stuff around the house. And Wednesdays I have visitation with my 13 year old starting at 6 pm to whenever and on Thursdays I rehearse with my church's praise band for a few hours. That leaves maybe a few hours Saturday for practice and I play the worship service on Sundays, so time is scarce for good ole practice time.

But I do get in some amount of practice time. That's the time I spend with the praise and worship band: a few hours on Thursday and 1 hour rehearsal before the worship service then the actual 1 1/2 hours for the service, so that counts.

A few weeks ago I got into a discussion with a tween who bragged that he spends at least 5 hours a day practicing drums and was disgusted that I only have a limited amount of time to practice. He was in his early 20's, living at his parent's home, going to college part time, and no job. His soul support was his parents. I told him to enjoy that time loafing about because as he gets older and matures, his time will be chewed up by other things like a real job, family, etc. His reply: "No way, man! I'm ALWAYS gonna practice 5 hours a day." Sigh.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

It varies a fair bit. I try and put in 2 to 3 hours every evening after work, except every other Monday I have a drum lesson which is a fair bit of travelling, so sometimes I'll give it a rest when I get home. Every other Tuesday I have band practise, Wednesday I have band practise and Thursday I have a dance lesson. Usually on the nights I can't practise on the kit I'll try and put in some pad time before bed.

At the weekend it again depends what I'm doing or how I feel. Anywhere from 0 to 4 hours or more.

During kit practise I used to just jam along to records far too much, but now I try and limit that to the first 30 minutes or so to get me in the mood.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Practice at home? What's that?

Here's my schedule:

Tuesday night Band #1 practice - 3 to 4 hours

Thursday night Band #2 practice and play - 2 hours

Friday night Band #1 monthly gig - 4 hours

Sunday Band #2 monthly practice and gig - 2 hours

I'm lucky if I get an occassional hour in for practice at home on a Saturday. Lately I've been so tired I haven't even set up the kit at home between gigs. I work 50-60 hours per week and rarely get home before 7 pm.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

I aim for 35-45 minutes of practice of rudiments and lessons from my teacher each day. If I have the time after that I work on trying to learn new songs and playing along to music - usually another 30 minutes to an hour since this is the most fun for me. Sometimes I reach that goal, sometimes it's just squeezing in 20 minutes of practicing my lesson assignments (those ALWAYS come first).

I usually get behind the kit 6 days a week, sometimes it's only 5. Rarely any less than that. Every once in a while on a weekend, I get in a 2-3 hour session.

One good thing about starting later in life...most of my time is my own. It's just me and the boyfriend at home, no kids, little family nearby and other than work, no real obligations at night. I've chosen at this point in my life to dedicate most of my free time to my drumming and things i only REALLY want to do. I feel I'm pretty lucky :)
Old 09-02-2011, 11:11 PM

I don't practice. I may go back and bang around on the drums from time to time but at my age, I don't see the need unless the band learns a new tune.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:37 AM
Platinum Member

At the moment I'm doing about 2-3 hours a day. I have an album recording to get up to speed for so I need to make use of the time I have.