DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Default the Best Drums?

I've been playing drums for about a year now and I have two kits, both Tama. One Swingstar in Vintage Red, one Imperialstar in Midnight Blue. My cymbals are Sabian AA Studio, all my hardware is Tama and my pedals are Iron Cobra. And I usually prefer to use Pro Mark Sticks 2B Nylon Tips, or some Rock Knockers if I can find them instock.

MY problem is this, I've been told by the few people I know that also play drums, that Tama was the best, Iron Cobra is the best, Sabian, the best...BUT the more I get engulfed into the drumming world I wonder if this is true. I mean, there can only be one "the best" right? I myself in previous years (before I began playing and would just DREAM of getting a kit) have always frowned upon brands like, Pearl and Ludwig. But I know that Ringo plays on Ludwig and I have a friend that plays prolevel who plays on Pearls. And Sabian, if that's the best, then why don't all the pros use them? I know Aaron Spears endorses Zildjian cymbals and plays a DW kit.

Now I know that for the most part, all the "the best" statements people make are based on opinion, but is there a clear comparison and winner out there somewhere? I love the way my cymbals sound, and once I replace my heads on my Imperialstar it's going to sound like a complete dream (just stock heads on it now, which ps, sound like some kiddy drum crap). But when you go looking for the best, how do you know what to get? You know, as a beginner. Because like I said before, for example, my Imperialstar needs new heads and I want the best, but which is better, Remo...or Evans? Or some other brand that I never even heard of?

What's the best out there in drums, cymbals, sticks, hardware, thrones...everything?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 PM

Default Re: the Best Drums?

There will never be a unanimous consensus on the best anything unless its technically measurable, such as in the case on a transistor amplifier. Even then, some people prefer tubes.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Ask yourself this, What is best for you? What features do you like? What works best for you? These are the three main things that determine "BEST". Pro drummers are sponsored. They play what they are given or what the manufacture has made to their specs. I have known many advanced drummers that use low priced equipment as well as high priced equipment. They find something that they like and they stick with it. Try products out and see what you like about them. There are many lower priced drum products that are extremely well made. Just because some people say that it is the best, It may not be the best for you and your needs.

Here is an example, You are in a store and you just played a 4 thousand dollar drum kit. The kit next to it is a 15 hundred dollar kit. You look at the features of both kits. They are both well made and they have sturdy hardware and features that you like. You play the 15 hundred dollar kit. You like it! You can't tell the difference in the sound between the two kits. Now it's simply a choice of how much you want to spend. Whatever you decide is OK. There is no wrong answer. Unless spending 4 thousand dollars will cause you financial hardship. That would be foolish.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 04-11-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

The best kit is simple, it is the one that you love to play. If a kit inspires you to sit down and practice it is the best kit.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 PM

Yamaha Birch custom absolute.
(Sorry I couldn't stop myself.)
Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Yamaha Birch custom absolute.
(Sorry I couldn't stop myself.)
You're waaaaayyy off! Its the maple custom absolute. :)
Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 PM

I find that anything that you have custom built or designed is always the best
or at least that's how I feel about my custom made/designed guitar :)
haha
Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
You're waaaaayyy off! Its the maple custom absolute. :)
I think it's the original Maple Custom, but those are fine choices too.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 PM

Any drums with good craftsmanship and sound
but remember you make the drums sound good not the drums itself.
Here's a video that backs up my point!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu1E4cetkXY
Old 04-11-2009, 10:07 PM

Also I forgot to mention that when I tried a DW i didnt feel comfortable AT ALL..
but when I tried a STARCLASSIC....
It felt so comfortable that I can play it again again and again.. thats why I bought it so for me TAMA FITS ME THE BEST
Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
The best kit is simple, it is the one that you love to play. If a kit inspires you to sit down and practice it is the best kit.
Best answer I've ever read to this question.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Ask yourself this, What is best for you? What features do you like? What works best for you? These are the three main things that determine "BEST"."

I understand that, but as a beginner I'm still clueless on some things. I know I do love my Tama sets, and I didn't know how much I enjoyed my Irob Cobra pedal until I played w/ a Yamaha and even the Tama stock pedal that came w/ my second kit is good, but not as good. But I'm limited in experience outside of my own kits, when I go to the music store here in town, I don't get to demo things, I have to judge visually.. when I got my Imperialstar kit, I got it site unseen. I mean, sure I'd seen it online and came in asking for exactly that, but they didn't even have it in store, I didn't get to play it til it was at home in my garage studio (in the making). And w/ needing new heads and not knowing ANYTHING but Remo & Evans...which way should I go?
Heck I'm not even sure for the most part what kinda of sound I like, its all still such a new experience. I have no clue past a certain limited extent "what works best for me" or what I like.

Pro drummers are sponsored. They play what they are given or what the manufacture has made to their specs. I have known many advanced drummers that use low priced equipment as well as high priced equipment. They find something that they like and they stick with it. Try products out and see what you like about them. There are many lower priced drum products that are extremely well made. Just because some people say that it is the best, It may not be the best for you and your needs.

Here is an example, You are in a store and you just played a 4 thousand dollar drum kit. The kit next to it is a 15 hundred dollar kit. You look at the features of both kits. They are both well made and they have sturdy hardware and features that you like. You play the 15 hundred dollar kit. You like it! You can't tell the difference in the sound between the two kits. Now it's simply a choice of how much you want to spend. Whatever you decide is OK. There is no wrong answer. Unless spending 4 thousand dollars will cause you financial hardship. That would be foolish.
I guess you're right about that, I think I might be a Tama girl for life. Its the one thing I do know I like for sure. I guess I'm just clueless on heads and all the accessaries that you can get..there's SO MUCH to consider.

All in all,thanks for your reply. Every little bit helps!
Old 04-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
Sounds simple enough. But what if you're not able to test things before you buy them? With everything being still so new to me, I just have to buy things and see ...and not being a "baller"...that often ends up a waste of money. I bought some COOL RODS for instance, mainly because I saw Zac Hanson playing w/ a pair and wanted to try them out... and I hardly EVER use them. They cost me $23! The only person that ever uses them is a friend of mine who also plays...I mean I've used maybe 3 times in over 4 3 months... and I'm fine I guess kit wise, I love my Tamas...but I need heads.. I'm torn between Remo & Evans.... and what on earth does a "pinstripe" do... what's better... clear, or coated... Ebony series or pinstripes... I don't know what sounds best, or best suits my needs or what will inspire me. Years from now, picking will be easy...but as a newbie...loL..its impossible.