DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Default Aquarian SuperPad hard to find? Good alternative?

Is it me or are Aquarian SuperPads incredibly hard to find in the UK? Is there an equivalent that's easier to get hold of now or something? Has it been superceded by something else?

Bax seem to do it for £95 (!!!), but with a 3 week wait (importing direct from Aquarian I imagine).

I'm really surprised, I thought they'd be really popular for quiet practise? I'm just setting up a kit in my garage (low volume cymbals, very muffled kick, silent stroke on toms) and that's the first thing I thought of for snare (don't like the remo silent stroke on snare)..
Old 10-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Aquarian SuperPad hard to find? Good alternative?

Tell a lie.. I just found some, all except 14". I guess they are just really popular and always going out of stock, which is perhaps the opposite of what I thought (not popular enough).

I might get the 13" as I do have a 13" snare I can use. Still.. bloomin' expensive!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

I live in Norway where you can't really find anything. Aquarian isn't very visible in general, really. I ordered mine from the US.

RTOM Black Holes are also worth checking out. I'm ordering a bunch for the school I teach at now, but again I'll probably order from abroad. Thomann this time.

Silent strokes are the most common simply because Remo is the most common. Love Ambassador heads, but Silent Strokes aren't all that practical and are probably still as realistic as your average mesh head.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

I ordered the 13" which will arrive tomorrow, paid over the odds compared to buying it from the US but I didn't want to wait ;-) I may import a 14" at some point, depending on how I get on with the 13".

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with the RTOM system..

For now though, it'll be superpad on snare, silent stroke on toms and hopefully I can damp the kick drum enough.

I have my other acoustic kit in a residence room in town, but I like the idea of escaping to the garage whenever I want to work on technical stuff and having it sound and feel vaguely like a drum kit.

I think the electronic kit might go up for sale if it works out.. never did get on with it for many reasons.

Cheers!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Aquarian products are hard to find in general. They aren't as well established as Evans or especially Remo. Even here in the US if your lucky enough to find a shop that holds Aquarian stuff the selection won't be all that great, which is sad because it's a really good company
Old 10-20-2018, 03:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with the RTOM system..
Well, I'm not Odd (though some will say that I am indeed...), but I recently got a 4-piece set of the RTOM Black Holes.

I can absolutely recommend the snare and tom versions, but I cannot say I'm completely happy with the kick, which is a shame cause it's really quite expensive! The included bass pedal extender plate didn't really work with any of my pedals so I contacted RTOM and got sent a prototype extender that works much better. Nice company to deal with!

The bad news is that there are other issues with the kick pad:

- It is much bigger than the Super Pad (which I haven't tried, but consider getting) and needs more elbow space to attach and remove, requiring me to move my pedal, snare stand and floor tom out of the way. This makes changing between loud and silent drums more of a chore.

- The pad always seems to "travel" gradually to one side or the other during playing, needing readjustment every once in a while. The whole thing is just not as stable as I would like.

- Since the mesh sits farther away from the actual head compared to the snare and tom pads, the resulting sound is also softer. I'm hoping the Super Pad is slightly louder for a more balanced kit sound.

Last edited by VitalTransformation; 10-20-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

Thanks VT, let me know how you get on.

I did consider the SuperPad kick, but I'm finding just stuffing the bass drum absolutely full of pillows and old clothes and taping a sock folded in half where the beater strikes is working quite well.

Granted this is only convenient if you aren't using that kick for gigging too!

But still interested RE the SP Kick.

I've got silent strokes on the toms at the moment, which although a bit more bouncy than I'd like (even when fairly loose), they aren't doing too bad and there is some tone. I imagine the RTOMs are better in terms of feel from what I've heard..

My SuperPad should be here in about 45 minutes so looking forward to trying it :-)
Old 10-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

With the Super Pads the kick definetly still has some volume to it. Haven't tried the Black Holes yet, but maybe the reverse issue. In that case Super Pad kick pad combined with Black Holes might be the ticket for some.

The Super Pad stays in place. It's quite thick though, so if you want the distance you're used to, you you have to do something. I really only use them as practice pads at the moment and for snare pad I use a Xymox. Really the best pad I've ever played. Has no negative effects on my technique, but plenty of positive ones.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

I'm loving the SuperPad on the snare drum, it feels natural and reduced the volume just enough, and still retains some of the snare qualities. With the snares off it is really quiet.

I've filled the kick drum with pillows, literally filled, and taped a couple of old socks to the skin where the beater hits, but somehow it's still producing bass! It's alright *inside* the garage, but when I walk out into the street with someone else playing, there's still a low end boom. That's the only thing left bothering me.

Does the SuperPad remove that? I think that bothers me more than an upper end click.

I am a little worried it'll change the feel due to the thickness (i.e. beater will strike further back).

I have a fluffy beater I can try but that's down at my practise room in town... It might help reduce the volume even more. Hmm.

Definately usable as a practise kit though. The L80 cymbals are great.

Brainwave.. might try taking the resonant head off .... and somehow try and keep the pillows in place ;-)
Old 10-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

I have a set of Superpads on my kit (22/16/14/12 and snare) in my condo in downtown Singapore. I had to order them from the U.S., which raised the cost quite a bit, but they are definitely worth it. The bass drum is still fairly loud, so you may need to put something in your bass drum. Still, I think they are worth the money.

Last edited by Chunkaway; 10-20-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

It will change the feel. On my practice kit I just attached a piece of wood to my old RealFeel stand that's the exact thickness so that the distance is the same as on my BD.

The feel is all pad, so there might be some other ideas you can try, especially if it's set up for quiet practice only.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys.
I think stuffing the kick full, taping a sock to the head where the beater hits, and *also* putting a load of stuff in front of the kick next to the resonant head (easy as it's facing a corner) has made it quiet enough. The last bit was the key.

I may still try a RTOM or SuperPad at some point as a more elegant solution..

Now I just need to put something on the tom rims as accidental strikes don't sound so good! Maybe some old flex cable cut down one side..
Old 11-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
With the Super Pads the kick definetly still has some volume to it. Haven't tried the Black Holes yet, but maybe the reverse issue.
So I just got the Super Pad kick model. I don't like it...

It's a lot thicker than what I was expecting, so pedal action gets very suboptimal. Plus it deadens the drum down to a "plop" sound. On the plus side, it's very stable compared to the RTOM. But the RTOM has much better tone. Volume in the room is pretty much identical (though the RTOM's greater depth of tone will travel through walls more, I suspect). Pedal action is better with the RTOM and the prototype extender that I've got.

So now I'd spent a hillarious amount of money on two different kick dampening solutions while the superior solution was right in front of me and pretty much free: Just stuff the drum with as much duvets and pillows as I can get in there. Doesn't give me much tone, but the attack and volume is pretty much perfect.

So, anyone wanna buy a 20" Aquarian Super Pad or RTOM Black Hole (Odd-Arne, you live fairly close to me, I'll send it no problem ;)?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

This is the only way I'm using it.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
So I just got the Super Pad kick model. I don't like it...

It's a lot thicker than what I was expecting, so pedal action gets very suboptimal. Plus it deadens the drum down to a "plop" sound. On the plus side, it's very stable compared to the RTOM. But the RTOM has much better tone. Volume in the room is pretty much identical (though the RTOM's greater depth of tone will travel through walls more, I suspect). Pedal action is better with the RTOM and the prototype extender that I've got.

So now I'd spent a hillarious amount of money on two different kick dampening solutions while the superior solution was right in front of me and pretty much free: Just stuff the drum with as much duvets and pillows as I can get in there. Doesn't give me much tone, but the attack and volume is pretty much perfect.

So, anyone wanna buy a 20" Aquarian Super Pad or RTOM Black Hole (Odd-Arne, you live fairly close to me, I'll send it no problem ;)?
So, the Super Pad sticks out to much for you, is that correct? I don't like that aspect either. I have heard the RTOM is significantly louder though than the Super Pad. It sounds like that wasn't your experience though. Is that correct?

Did you try the mesh heads thing that Remo makes?

I'm frustrated a bit with the bass for the Super Pads. I agree with your comment about the feel - not a fan. But my bigger issue is I don't want to stuff my bass drum full of duvets and such, since I play the kit normally inbetween practice sessions.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:33 AM
Silver Member

For Bass drum dampening on my practice kit (which has combo of Silent Stroke heads on the toms, a Super Pad on the snare, Zildjian LV cymbals and a stuffed Bass drum with no reso head) sticking a rectangle portion of Dr. Scholl's moleskin on the batter strike area softens the impact sound just enough, without changing the rebound feel of the beater itself.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

As a pure practice pad the Super-Pad has the best feel I've found with the benefit, due to it's mass, of being way more quiet than other options.

On my little contraption there I've of course made sure that the distance is the same as on my regular BD. It's just my old RealFeel stand and it's infinetly better than with just the original pad on it. It's big and heavy, but it works. Feels great and the rest of the house isn't shaking when I play it. There's really no transference at all.

My only wish now would be to have the same pedal on both.

As a dampener the SPBD leaves a bit to be desired, but I don't really think it's any more difficult than an extension piece to move the pedal further away as well as a similar dampening device on the reso side.

Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg; 11-11-2018 at 02:41 PM.