DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

Default Advice on building a drum riser

Hey everyone,I am going to help a friend build a drum riser for his home studio,and have a few questions.

The room is about 14 feet by about 20 feet.

What dimensions and shape would be most efficient?

How high off the floor should it be for best sound/ recording?

I see that some people use a riser 6 8 12 inches of floor,others seem to put more or less a type of pad on the floor,I guess either way you are trying to take the actual floor out of the equation?

Any advice on best /economic materials and plan for build would also be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Advice on building a drum riser

I have a 12 x 20 space. I built a 5' deep x 7' wide riser. It's only the height of a 2 x 4 stud propped up on it's side with some 3/4" plywood on the top. I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure as long as there is an air gap between the riser and the floor, it enhances bottom end.

However, I did a quick and dirty test and the same bass drum sounded exactly the same to me on and off the riser. The floor is carpet on top of sheet plastic on top of my concrete basement floor. Maybe the mics can hear it but I couldn't.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:00 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I would make a 6 x 8 frame using 4 x 4 lumber, then put a sheet and a half of 3/4 inch plywood on the top. But only if it is to be permanent.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Build it like you would a deck. Joists, joist hangers, and use screws. Vibration, movement, and time cause nails to pull out and make things unstable. 4x4s like Grunt said, for the legs, and 3/4" plywood for the deck should suffice. 2x4 or 2x6 for the fascia and joists should be plenty depending on weight requirements.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Build it like you would a deck. Joists, joist hangers, and use screws. Vibration, movement, and time cause nails to pull out and make things unstable. 4x4s like Grunt said, for the legs, and 3/4" plywood for the deck should suffice. 2x4 or 2x6 for the fascia and joists should be plenty depending on weight requirements.
Agreed. No nails. Screw it together. Only thing I would add is two layers of 3/4" birch plywood to keep things from warping. Run the first layer one direction. Run the second layer an opposing direction. Use plenty of construction adhesive on the sub framing and in-between first and second layer of plywood and plenty of screws.
Should be plenty solid and never sag.

Plan ahead if you want to run power or add a sub snake on your deck so you can run cabling, wiring and boxes as needed.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

I saw a great video from a guy who built a soundproof one for his apartment. Suspended the platform on tennis balls and it isolated the shock from the rest of the floor.

Very innovative.