DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Why would one need an Endorsement Deal?

Just thought I'd ask a different endorsement question. Everyone seems to want to get endorsed, but I've never heard anyone ask this one. If you are endorsed, I'd love to hear from you.
At what point in your career did you decide to reach out to some AR guys, fill out an application and seek out a deal? What was it that you were looking for out of the process and why did you feel it would be mutually beneficial?
A common misconception is that a drum company will start giving you free stuff and propel you to Stardom. If you are endorsed, you probably know that this is far from true, so why get in touch at all? Why not just use whatever you want if you're paying for it anyway?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why would one need an Endorsement Deal?

Its a bit of a misnomer because its the musician that is endorsing the manufacturers product, not the other way round. The musician is by default saying "This is the best (insert product) I have ever used". The manufacturer uses the musician to sell the product involved.

There are levels of endorsement from discounted gear, to free products, to being paid by a manufacturer.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

I did it with sticks last year. Makes sense if you're gigging a lot and I've been using pellwood for about 10 years now. I still have to pay but compared to the cost of vic firths/pro mark I'm quids in.

I got in touch with the rep on fb and in a couple of months I had my own sticks. Unfortunately they got my surname wrong but on the plus side I now have a stage name and a tax dodge :) They'll sort the next batch out for me.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:40 PM

Put simply - money!!
The level of endorsement is equal to the level of exposure that you can bring to the product - The company is buying advertising, and the price is giving the player discounts (ranging from a little to foc) on gear they would be buying anyway. The top level of 'endorsement' is to actually get paid to use whatever brand, even if it's not the preferred gear. Long history of guys using their favourite brand but fitting it with different lugs and badges etc to make it look the endorsers product.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Big names probably do get a kit or two.

For the people touring all over the world with it helps to have support. Being in the stall you might even get to have some input on future products and get your signature stuff that's exactly the way you want. In those cases your probably get a percentage of the sales, too.

Clinics and workshops are of mutual benefit. The artist gets just as much, or more, exposure as the company.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Must be a lovely feeling being a drummer doing one of those Gretsch unboxing videos for a new kit that has been custom picked and given to you for free. Maybe in my next lifetime. :)
Old 05-25-2018, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Its simple. Be the best drummer you can be, and If you are really good and have a high enough profile the drum companies will contact you.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

A band comprised of a few ex members of a more famous and still internationally touring band played at a local pub lately. Both guitarists and I think the bass player were using guitars from a lesser known brand thatís known for punching above its weight when it comes to value for money. Their living is made entirely from gigging mainly at weekends in larger pubs, music venues and no doubt the odd small scale festival and the idea of an endorsement deal for them makes sense to me. Their guitars are their tools and if they can get them for free or at a discounted price then itís a bit more money to spend on a room at a Premier Inn and a bit less hassle if something breaks and they need a quick replacement. And due to the more ďhands onĒ nature of gigging on a pub stage as opposed to an arena (& knowing guitarists penchant for talking shop) I wouldnít be in the least surprised if many a chat about their guitars takes place post gig leading to future sales.
On a slightly different tack, if I bought gear based on my ability and earning potential Iíd be playing stuff thatís a lower standard than I currently own, like a lot of hobbyists I kind of subsidise my playing, if I was starting from scratch with little money and entirely reliant on music for my income then Iíd make very different instrument choices. The £199 used 4 piece new model Hayman kit or the £249 slightly scratched Stage Custom Iíve just seen at my local used shop would make perfect sense.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

I attended a recording workshop at Sweetwater with Kenny Aronoff. At dinner the first evening, I asked about his endorsements and how they affected his work.

He said Tama was his first endorser, and the fact that they showed so much faith in his abilities, and have helped him throughout his career while recording & touring, that he'd never leave. He said Hoshino is a small, family-owned company and that he's felt part of that family since his days with Mellencamp, and that he'd never be the one to walk away from the arrangement. He talked at length about the drums, then went into a 10-minute discussion about how his signature snare drum was developed, and how the Tama craftsmen worked with him to design & deliver his snare drum.

His endorsement of Vic Firth is a double-bonus: he gets a supply of custom drumsticks while he gets to promote the company started by one of his mentors (Aronoff used Firth mallets & sticks throughout college).

Zildjian came to him as well, and he said Zildjian would have to drop him before he would even think about leaving them. The first day of the workshop, in the studio, was a large box of cymbals. Two of everything he wanted for the week, plus a few extra pies, sent to him via Sweetwater. As he mounted & tested them, he talked about them to all the engineers in the class (I was the only noob), and this act was why companies use endorsers. He helped sell some cymbals that day.

Part of the pleasure Kenny derives from these endorsements are, in his words, "They believed in me before I ever did."

That's a difficult thing to walk away from.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
I attended a recording workshop at Sweetwater with Kenny Aronoff.
Oh, man. Did you walk away inspired and energized by him?

I had the privilege of playing with an artist who opened for BoDeans, a band Kenny plays for. I got to meet him and sit in the green room with the band. I was kind of freaked out by the whole experience of playing drums in front of him, but MAN, it was a thrill for me. In addition, the artist I played with knew Kenny and had worked with him before. So I got some additional insight from him about what it was like to work with Kenny from that perspective.

The guy is a whirlwind of energy and positivity. I'm not sure how you felt, but I came away very inspired by just that short time spent with Kenny.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Oh, man. Did you walk away inspired and energized by him?

I had the privilege of playing with an artist who opened for BoDeans, a band Kenny plays for. I got to meet him and sit in the green room with the band. I was kind of freaked out by the whole experience of playing drums in front of him, but MAN, it was a thrill for me. In addition, the artist I played with knew Kenny and had worked with him before. So I got some additional insight from him about what it was like to work with Kenny from that perspective.

The guy is a whirlwind of energy and positivity. I'm not sure how you felt, but I came away very inspired by just that short time spent with Kenny.
He's very positive and has an insatiable thirst for info. He quizzed the workshop teacher constantly about mics, pre-amps, etc, 'cuz he has a studio in his Los Angeles home and records for anyone who asks (and pays).

What surprised me the most: He writes out his part for every tune he plays on. Note for note. He says, "I play and record so much that I always write down my parts so I can be more exacting in my work."

Example of reading what he plays (he only needed two takes for his tune):http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/k...fstraight.html
Old 05-25-2018, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

Seems like Kenny just had the perfect combination of work ethic, likability, humility, and talent to get where he got. Seems like such a great guy and his energy is infectious.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Musicians don't need endorsements. It's the companies that (primarily) benefit from having famous and influential names associated with their brand. Obviously there's consideration for the use of the musician's name, typically in the form of discounted gear, the promise of paid clinics, and for the most influential, comped gear.

More on endorsements at www.bermudaschwartz.com/endorsement

Bermuda
Old 05-25-2018, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Bermudaís stuff is right. I also spoke with a rep for Sonor at NAMM one year and he said with their bigger artists, they actually support them. His example was when their big name artist had to play on a TV show, and heís coming from Europe to America, it doesnít make sense to have the artist transport his own gear when that would just be impossible. So the company gets a kit to his specs there, the artist shows up, performs and shows his favorite brand, then goes back home. So itís not that I think artists want stuff for free, but if youíre on the road and something breaks, you have a better chance of getting it fixed or getting a replacement (if you donít already have a spare). Heck, if I could get that kind of support, I donít mind buying the gear.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

I know a local drummer who has toured in Europe and all around the U.S. for several years. He's got a drum, stick and cymbal sponsor. He said a big part of having endorsements is that when he does play far away or overseas the company will arrange for a kit he can use wherever he happens to be playing that night. In other words, if there is a pro who is endorsed by Gretsch, and he has to play in Japan or something, they don't want to see him using a Yamaha kit

Plus I'm sure the money is pretty nice
Old 05-26-2018, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I know a local drummer who has toured in Europe and all around the U.S. for several years. He's got a drum, stick and cymbal sponsor. He said a big part of having endorsements is that when he does play far away or overseas the company will arrange for a kit he can use wherever he happens to be playing that night. In other words, if there is a pro who is endorsed by Gretsch, and he has to play in Japan or something, they don't want to see him using a Yamaha kit
Touring support is the primary reason big names want endorsements.

Most big name drummers have multiple drum kits in different parts of the word, even if the kits are identical with the illusion it's the same drum kit.

The ability to get replacement parts, etc, even when traveling through foreign lands without having to call every drum shot is a big plus for musicians on that level.

On the flip side, the local youtube star who is endorsing a non-major brand is usually nothing more than they got suckered into buying a whatever for the change to be listed on marketing materials, and because it's an ego boost.

Quote:
Plus I'm sure the money is pretty nice
It's a myth that drummers get paid to be endorsers.

Other than a few and far between cases, 99.9% of endorsement deals do not involve the drummer getting paid.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Touring support is the primary reason big names want endorsements.

Most big name drummers have multiple drum kits in different parts of the word, even if the kits are identical with the illusion it's the same drum kit.

The ability to get replacement parts, etc, even when traveling through foreign lands without having to call every drum shot is a big plus for musicians on that level.

On the flip side, the local youtube star who is endorsing a non-major brand is usually nothing more than they got suckered into buying a whatever for the change to be listed on marketing materials, and because it's an ego boost.

It's a myth that drummers get paid to be endorsers.

Other than a few and far between cases, 99.9% of endorsement deals do not involve the drummer getting paid.
As one of those guys no longer trying, but still loves to play with people, being an endorser seems more of a hassle. I'd rather play what I want out in public - which can change every month. I like that freedom - there isn't really one company that does everything I like perfectly. And at least I can say I've tried most of them!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

A lot of artists probably don't get much. It depends on your current value, which can grow over time. It can also go the other way.

I know a lot of people who had some sort of deal from a new company when they first got a bit of exposure. That's a way for that company to get out there. Sort of like handing out free sticks at an event or something. Doesn't always work out, but I guess it's worth a try. Two steps forward, one step back. THat's how business is done, and if you don't give up you'll probably make it to some sort of sustainable level eventually.

Many artists also just say no. They want to play what they want to play.

If you want to make it in the clinic world it's mostly how it's done.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Well the drummer I was talking about has some "signature" products with his endorsements. He had a pair of sticks with Vic firth and a signature snare with Yamaha. I think he even has a signature cymbal with paiste. I bet you're right that most endorsement deals don't include payment, but if you're lucky enough to have your name on the side of the product I would assume you do get some $
Old 05-26-2018, 05:25 PM

It's just nice to have a relationship with the company. The support and recognition is really nice too. I broke my Taye double pedal in a mishap on the road once. I sent it back to them, and they replaced it for free. One time i inquired about a certain size and finish of a drum, and Taye offered to put one on hold at the factory for me. Another time i was experimenting with some different hoop combinations on a snare drum and running into some issues. I brought it up with Taye about what i was trying to do, and they went so far as to have the factory assemble one to see if they could get the combo to work. Things like that are what's nice about having an endorsement deal.
With consumables (sticks, heads, etc) getting the stuff at a discount is where you come out ahead.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Well the drummer I was talking about has some "signature" products with his endorsements. He had a pair of sticks with Vic firth and a signature snare with Yamaha. I think he even has a signature cymbal with paiste. I bet you're right that most endorsement deals don't include payment, but if you're lucky enough to have your name on the side of the product I would assume you do get some $
If you have a signature product with a company you typically get a royalty on each unit sold. It's not an actual paycheck, just a small, and I mean SMALL percentage of the profits form said product.

I'm fortunate enough to endorse some fantastic companies. Yamaha Acoustic & DTX Drums, Paiste, Aquarian, Regal Tip, Cympad, Coffin Case, Cool Claws, and Zombie Killer Clothing.

Mayne people think that having a professional relationship will add validity to their career. This is in fact false. As stated before, the artist endorses the company. In my contacts, I've agreed to license my name and likeness to the brand. In exchange the companies agree to make their product available to me directly rather than having to go through a retailer. The details within the contracts as to if that availability is free, discounted, or has a royalty attached to it is confidential and unique to each brand and artist.

Until I reached a point in my career that I though my name and image would help a brand sell more product I did not even think about applying to endorse anyone.
You need to come from a place of a realistic nature and not ego. 9 times out of 10 artist are ego driven and think they are bigger and more important that they really are. And it's the particular brand you are applying for that will determine if you are that important or not.

Only after I started playing for acts that were well established in my regional music scenes, had a following, had built up a respectable number of private students, and started to become know within the music industry itself did I apply for my first endorsement.
And in many ways I still don't feel like I am at a level that warrants some of the luxuries I've been gifted. I make a living by playing the drums, but the majority of the groups I tour with are not selling out 22,000 seaters on the regular.

I was approached about possibly lending my name to a "signature product" last year by one of the companies I endorse and I turned it down. Again, keep the ego in check. The point of a signature product is to sell that item, and the name on it sells it, not how cool or innovative it is. I was real with them and said that my name isn't going to sell a significant number of units for them. Not yet anyway. So we are going to instead hopefully collaborate on a product that leave my name off, but is something that will sell based on the item itself.

Many companies do this type of R & D with their artists all the time. Yamaha especially. Anytime the wizards are thinking something new up in the lab they call us in and have us test things out and give notes. As a result we have all of the new snares and post-sakae drum kits on the market. I got to play the prototypes 2 years before the were released to the public.
YouTube
Old 05-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Must be a lovely feeling being a drummer doing one of those Gretsch unboxing videos for a new kit that has been custom picked and given to you for free. Maybe in my next lifetime. :)
Very few get any gear for free.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

So they don't get sued for incidentally having the brand logo in a video?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Why would they sue somebody giving them free advertising?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Why would they sue somebody giving them free advertising?
If the product in question is attached to some unwanted negative press or exposure, or an artist has a bad reputation.

Bill Cosby was a big Zildjian guy for many many years, I don't think they would be in a rush to have their name attached to his anymore.
YouTube
Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 PM

The main appeal for me and my band, as mentioned by a few others, is the support when not in our home region. Our guitarist has had a good amount of success endorsing amp and pedal companies. The benefit of the former is that we're getting our entire amplification needs taken care of at a very reduced cost for the entire band on an upcoming support tour where we're getting paid relatively little and every dollar counts. He still purchases the gear from them that he uses at home, albeit at a mild discount. Of course, he loves playing their amps or wouldnt have bothered.

I recently approached a major drum company because i felt like the band's growing exposure might warrant such a relationship for me. I didnt bother with a smaller company because i feel like, if they dont have the reach to provide support when we're, say, in Australia or Japan, then it doesnt do much for me, regardless of how much i do or dont like their product. I recognized that they might not be interested in me or able to take on any new artists when i contacted them, but i figured it was worth at least introducing myself. In the end, the A&R guy i contacted didnt return my email, not totally surprising but somewhat dissapointing.

I will probably wait a little while and try to approach the same company through a different avenue, as they are one of the few if not the only company that makes new drums i like and has the global resources to be useful to me at this point in my career.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

When I was stationed in Kuwait we had a big televised concert with Paramore and Aaron Lewis. This was a show where the band flew in with a minimal crew, played the show then flew back out. The company providing the backline had provided a nice Pearl Master set and a full set of Zildjians. We were given the drum specs and a stage layout, but no other specifics, so we put everything together as requested. When Paramore showed up they were all freaking out because none of the gear is what they had asked for so they were going to be on national TV playing gear they didnt endorse. We had to cover all of the logos with black electrical tape and hide the heads behind the cabinets. They were actually really cool, and Aaron just showed up and played, he could have cared less, but it was eye opening how much they were worried about their endorsement deals.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
When I was stationed in Kuwait we had a big televised concert with Paramore and Aaron Lewis. This was a show where the band flew in with a minimal crew, played the show then flew back out. The company providing the backline had provided a nice Pearl Master set and a full set of Zildjians. We were given the drum specs and a stage layout, but no other specifics, so we put everything together as requested. When Paramore showed up they were all freaking out because none of the gear is what they had asked for so they were going to be on national TV playing gear they didnt endorse. We had to cover all of the logos with black electrical tape and hide the heads behind the cabinets. They were actually really cool, and Aaron just showed up and played, he could have cared less, but it was eye opening how much they were worried about their endorsement deals.
This isn't surprising at all. Companies keep an eye on their artists, and I've had a few occasions when a photo had surfaced with me using another brand. My companies picked up the phone or sent an email right away with a polite "WTF?"
They all know that at times you have no choice but to use backline that may not be theirs, but I am careful to not tag them in any social media posts if they are not representing in the photo or video.

It's written into my riders that any provided equipment that can not be obtained by one of my official companies must have the logos removed or covered.
YouTube
Old 05-27-2018, 11:51 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
Bill Cosby was a big Zildjian guy for many many years, I don't think they would be in a rush to have their name attached to his anymore.
Couldn't have been a very successful campaign, this is the first I'm hearing of it!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:18 PM

I live in the Baltimore/Washington area, so Dennis Chambers is a local legend..a fellow drummer who is friends with Dennis says he has 2 storage spaces full of gear from Pearl...
Old 05-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay View Post
I live in the Baltimore/Washington area, so Dennis Chambers is a local legend..a fellow drummer who is friends with Dennis says he has 2 storage spaces full of gear from Pearl...
From same area! Nice
Old 05-30-2018, 06:23 PM

I've often wondered if Peart had to pay for that Time Machine Tour kit or if it was provided to him by DW? I'd imagine someone at that level probably gets a lot of freebies.
Ludwig | Meinl | Atlas | DW
Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM
MasterBlaster

I bet Neal hasn't had to buy any gear in ages.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 05-30-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:18 PM

Over the years I've only sent two endorsement applications into companies to see about working with them ... at those times I wasn't playing much but figured it couldn't hurt, etc. Long story short I was declined by both.

Fast forward to the past 4 or 5 years and I'm (officially) endorsing a few companies now. For me it's all about support and the working relationships with the reps with the companies. I tag/promote them in my social media posts and when talking to fans at shows, etc.

The interesting part of this story is that the companies that I am endorsing they all approached me about working with them to help promote the products. They all mentioned they noticed how many shows I played and my social media posts about products I was using (not necessarily endorsing).

I will only endorse a product I actually like using. I have turned down two offers for cymbal companies endorsements as I prefer my current setup and doubt I would be happy with something else.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

My son is in a touring band that has a few endorsements, and for him, it's mostly about touring support.

They have an endorsement from Fender, although he's never used it. They don't get free stuff, but they do get stuff at DEEP discount - they can get guitars and amps at roughly 1/3rd of what they would cost through normal channels, so it puts American Fender products at the same price point as someone else would pay for a Squier guitar.

They also have an endorsement through Ernie Ball, and I think that deal is basically free strings (possibly just deeply discounted strings) while they are on tour. This is good because he restrings about once every two shows, and he uses two guitars.

He's working an angle for a couple of other endorsements for some gear he uses, mostly so he can get discounted gear at points in the future from boutique companies he uses for his main guitar, his amp/cab, and a couple of effects pedals he uses.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

The company benefits from the exposure. That is the only reason they do it. So when you have enough followers/fans that look up to you and want to buy something because you are using it, that is a good time to ask.

Most want some type of press kit, or electronic resume so to speak showing things like album sales, touring, social media followers, clinics. etc. If you are playing local bar gigs it isn't really the time to ask these guys as they filter past a TON of endorsement requests daily.

I think once you are at the level where you CAN get an endorsement, the next stage is to wait and find companies that you love and WANT to promote. The drum industry is small and if you ask multiple stick companies, or multiple cymbal companies they are going to black list you. Plus you don't want to play only one product if it isn't your favorite. I have seen guys take endorsements with company "Y" and tell me they did it because they couldn't get one at company "X".. That is a good way to lose all credibility, and possibly ruin your chances later. The longer you play, the more you find what you like, what you don't like, and what works for YOU. Once you have that, and the fans, it is time to ask.

Also be wary of smaller companies and boutique companies offering "endorsements" to drummers. I know of a few companies (sticks, cymbals) that will let pretty much anyone jump on their artist list. Same with some custom shop drum companies. They offer a "discounted" price off of a ridiculously inflated MSRP. It's a great way to lock people into using only their products, and still pay for them. They are not giving them free gear. A lot of younger/newer artists do this so they can say they have an endorsement deal. I see it often. I guess it's a decent marketing ploy.

Benefits are usually discounted gear, tour support, and they will repost some of your clinic dates, tour dates, social media and things like that. The company may help with gear when touring, or if something breaks and you are in an emergency. you may also get some swag to toss out if you do clinics etc. very few get free stuff. If you have a HUGE social media following, or are selling out arenas to crowds full of drum nerds, you might. Profit margins are getting smaller by the year so companies won't just give everything away.

For me it was mostly due to my social media following. Sure my bands have disks, and we play lots of shows, but I'm not selling out 20k seaters. What I do have is a loyal online following who are ALWAYS asking me about my gear, for recommendations, tutorials etc. When you love the products you endorse it is easy to give an honest recommendation. I have sold many products for these companies.

Endorsing a company doesn't make you are a better drummer. It is 100% based on your exposure. And to be honest, for some people may lock them into products and be the WRONG choice.

For me, I only play Sabian cymbals, and have been for over 20 years. So it was a no brainier. I have been using Axis pedals for almost 13 years, once again, no brainier.

Long story short, If your asking, probibly not long enough. If you end up with thousands of followers messaging you daily, playing on SNL, or touring the world drumming, go ahead and ask.

To your last question, I would play this stuff either way, so that is why it's worth it. Getting a discount on something I would buy either way is a good thing.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Very few get any gear for free.
Exactly.

Our bass player is endorsed by Gretsch & he tells me that his perks include getting his basses pretty much at cost, and he has the chance to get a new release before it's open to the public. Nothing free for sure.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

For me, the main reasons you'd need an endorsement is for tour/educational support and to raise the profile of the company in return for that support through your profile in the Industry.

If you don't qualify for either of those, in my view, you're not ready for an endorsement. Kudos to the people who do take such an agreement seriously and understand what the agreement is - for both parties.

My last band got approached and was offered an 'endorsement' deal from a company we'd never heard of who made guitar strings/picks and drum sticks. We turned them down quite easily as we all agreeed very quickly we weren't high profile enough to warrant it and also we had doubts about the quality of the products anyway.

I was very proud that not one member in that band was tempted by it also.

Seems to be a ego boost for a some people (in any Industry and not just music) like it's a holy grail of things to tick off/to validate them as musicians or proffesionals - even if it's a sub-par product and they don't understand actually what an endorsement is.

I'm sure people were having the same discussions decades ago and people will still be discussing this long after we're all gone.

Last edited by Juniper; 05-31-2018 at 09:14 PM.