DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM

Default Home Recording Studio...

Ok.. well I have an x32 on order used on its way and next summer I will have about 6K USD to spend on building a home studio and recording equipment..

So for about 3500 USD I can get a pre fabbed 12 x 16 foot wood barn/shed built over a 13 x 17 4 inch deep slab..

So Im thinking of closing off a room inside for the board and for mixing and the rest of the barn should fit an entire band.

What is the best way to go about properly sound proofing and get a good recording?

Im thinking that maybe I could sell studio time on the side to smaller local bands as a little bit of income..
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Home Recording Studio...

Size, distance, anti-vibration and simply mass.

There are a to things to consider depending on wha you want to do.

For drum practice and tracking one room is fine, but for full band you'll have to think about vocals, amps, control room.

Placed in the middle of the room it should work for a drum kit, but I'd double the size if I could.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:10 PM

I'd say it's a bit of a squeeze to get an entire band in there, but sell recording time for one instrument at a time, maybe.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Default u

That's a small footprint, moreso if you're thinking of making a control room.

3500 for what's in the picture, or an actual finished structure? That's pretty steep for the former, it's an easy build and lumber is cheap. I'd do more research as far as what local codes allow you to build, and go as large as you can. There are probably local builders in your area who can do something closer to your needs for a comparable price if you're not handy. Also consider that certain building dimensions don't cost much more than others because of the way materials are made. Stick built is the way to go if you're going to want to soundproof.

You also need to take into account materials for finishing the inside in either case, and material for soundproofing isn't on the value menu. Consider wiring (whether sub-metered and trenched from a nearby structure or a new service) and perhaps natural gas for heat
Old 09-25-2017, 12:56 AM
Gold Member

I got about $3600 tied up in this one, built by the Amish. I put insulation in the walls, put up paneling and laid carpet, Its 14x16.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Here's the things with out buildings like that, you have to get electric, AC and heat to it for ventilation which won't be cheap.(don't forget the permits and inspections that will be needed as well) Like others have said getting an entire band in there is going to be a stretch and very tight. 12x16 seems big when you think about it, but if you lay it out on the floor and start breaking it up like you are saying you'll see that space is not much

There is a lot more to do for sound control (sound proofing is impossible) than simply installing insulation. 5/8 dry wall on walls and ceiling, resilient channel, in a shed you'll really need to build a room within a room to minimize sound escaping, green glue for layering, roxul insulation, then you have the door to deal with. Most sheds aren't going to have a really good solid door which is a huge source of sound escaping that will need to be addressed. You don't want any windows. Next thing is securing everything in there, which goes back to the door. Someone knows you have all that gear in there it's going to be a target for thieves, might want to find out from your insurance agent how doing something like this would be insured because it's an out building. Then you'll need acoustic foam to treat the room reflections.

Do you have a basement that you could do this in? That would be a much better starting point and allow a lot more money to go into the construction to reduce sound transmission and make it a better studio.

Check out www.auralex.com and at the top click on acoustics 101 there's a ton of reading regarding this topic
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

You practically need a room within a room for proper sound proofing (as far as I know).

As others have said, by the time everything is in, *including* acoustic treatment and sound proofing, there might barely be room to move.

Could you maybe rent somewhere instead that is bigger? That's a lot of money to spend for something that might not work out so well.. I also think you'll end up spending a lot more than that, before you even get to recording equipment. And then, good condenser mics aren't cheap.. Good mix monitors aren't cheap..

I'm not trying to put a dampener on your enthusiasm.. It reminds me of me years ago when I was determined to do something similar. I just think you need to think it through more, and make sure if you spend money, you don't throw it away on something that ends up not working. Better to go bigger and spend more, and get it right first time..

I'd seriously consider enlisting the help of someone (IRL) who knows what they are doing, and has done it before...

It might be worth finding a big room somewhere, and set up everything as you imagine it would be (including control room) and measure it all out. Then add a bit, and add a bit more to take into acoustic treatment, etc.. You might need some serious "bass traps" in a small room for both control room and live room.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Ghostnote

+1000...I'm building a 12.5×16 room in my garage and I wouldnt want to put more than 3 or 4 people in there, and that's without a control room. Bigger would be much better for what you want. Ideally, 12x16 would be on the small side for a control room.... If that's as big as you can go, then I would leave it as 1 room and have some portable acoustic panels/traps/diffusers that you can bring in come mixing time. Perhaps a French cleat system on your walls so that you can set up the room one way for tracking and switch it for mixing.

If you could make the shed even just 2 feet longer in each dimension it would make a big difference- if you want it sound-proofed then you are going to lose about a foot on each wall/ceiling to even get 65-70 dB of isolation. In the interest of saving as much soace as possible, I would put my outer mass layer on the outside of my exterior wall studs (2x6, not 2x4 so you end up with a larger air gap), 3" air gap between walls filled completely with fluffy pink insulation (don't use Roxul for 2-leaf systems), then inner walls and ceiling with 3 layers of 5/8ths drywall for your inner mass layer.

There are a lot of things to plan for on this type of build, a lot of details to pay attention to, and it all has to be done perfectly or you wont get the amount of isolation you are expecting to get after you put all that time and money into it.

PM me if you would like to discuss further, as this would end up as a very long-winded thread to cover everything...
Old 09-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

I built and documented one of these recently myself. You can see the whole process here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...jTt6jWJvuGykpM

I can tell you straight up that for a soundproof drum room, $6k USD will not be enough.

YouTube channel

Website
Old 09-26-2017, 02:59 PM

Thank you for all the excellent feedback. I am going to extend the size of building I purchase to a 12 x 20. The pic in the thread was just for reference. But Im going with a "HIGH WALL" Gabled which offers multiple angles in the ceiling to reflect sound.

Im going to use high density foam insulation between the studs, then build roxul panels to install through out the building covered in colored cloth. Add some sound diffusers.

here is how im fleshing out the building. Is it going to be million dollar studio quality? no.. Am I asking Tool or Metallica to come record here? no / but this will be awesome setup to record local and regional bands looking to make a decent CD to sell or demos to give out. Would I charge $200 a track no, but I bet $50 would be reasonable for the quality you would get vs say down in a rat basement with no sound qualities at all.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Better, but.. I'd have a serious think about the 5x5 foot mix room.. Lay it out somewhere.. Desk plus chair, you'll likely have your back against the wall, and that's before room treatment which IMO you will need in a room that small. You'll be in there for many many hours..

Have you done much mixing down before?

Also, bare in mind it's likely you'll want a few people from the band in there for some of the mixing down process. That's often the case while people are re-recording there individual parts over the guide track.. They can't be in the live room, and they can't sit outside on a bad weather day.

Please slow down.. listen to the advice, go on sound forums and ask about it there too.

Again, my apologies for dampening the excitement, I'm just trying to help from my previous experience as both sound guy and drummer.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Better, but.. I'd have a serious think about the 5x5 foot mix room..

Please slow down.. listen to the advice, go on sound forums and ask about it there too.
I agree with this.

1: OP should commit himself to another 3 months of planning before moving on anything.
2: Knock out the storage room and extend the control room. Leverage the crawlspace for storage.

Note: Quite a few of our guitar/bass tracks have been recorded 'in' the control room. The player literally sits in the control room and records via DI.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

I don't wish to come across as negative but just the other day you were asking some very, very basic advice about recording and equipment.

I'm not sure you fully understand the undertaking you're proposing...
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Mixing areas need to be big enough for a whole band to potentially be in. Very often it is more than just one guy doing mixing and related decisions. In several cases, my whole band has gone in to contribute to this part of the process. Something to consider.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I don't wish to come across as negative but just the other day you were asking some very, very basic advice about recording and equipment.

I'm not sure you fully understand the undertaking you're proposing...
What better way to learn than to give it a shot? Having his own studio won't prevent him from going and doing an internship or learning as he goes... In fact I would argue that even if he went and got a day job at a bigger studio, having one at home would only boost the potential to get better.

That said, I didn't see the other thread you're talking about, so maybe this is cart before horse?
Old 09-26-2017, 09:02 PM

In my opinion you’d be better off leaving off the mix room and vocal booth. You won’t get any kind of accuracy in such small spaces so you’ll be restricting yourself to monitoring with headphones.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Go to gearslutz and spend a good long time reading up on studio design and soundproofing.
It will be worth the effort.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
What better way to learn than to give it a shot? Having his own studio won't prevent him from going and doing an internship or learning as he goes... In fact I would argue that even if he went and got a day job at a bigger studio, having one at home would only boost the potential to get better.

That said, I didn't see the other thread you're talking about, so maybe this is cart before horse?
I entirely agree that there's no better way of doing it than learning but I'm afraid the original poster is a long, long way off actually charging people for production. The proposed layout of the studio space says enough. I'm just trying to warn that building the shed with your proposed use and current knowledge could turn into a very costly series of mistakes given his current position.

Ohio - you'd be much better off asking if you can shadow some good engineers as a starter. Do as much reading as you can, do as much recording of yourself as you can and learn to use as much different equipment as you can. Buy some books.

Don't build this fatally flawed outbuilding, assume it will turn out fine and then start charging for your services...
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

With such a small budget, he's not really going to compete with more complete or pro studios. Most studios spend that much on single pieces of equipment and mics.

People want to pay for the following:

-Experienced recording technicians. This is the biggest factor in success in my opinion.
-Great or at least dead/interesting sounding rooms to record in.
-Expensive ass microphones that most people just can't or don't purchase.
-Crazy amps and outboard stuff that will make things sound "pro".

I think what the OP is after is not really any of that. More like a personal setup that he might also be able to rent out (assuming with full notification of the studio's low points) the room for small/local bands who just want to get some things recorded or demo'd. As long as everyone is up front about what they're getting into, it can work for all.

As to how much you can actually charge for it, that's another matter. The pro studios around know that they have a lot of this type of competition, and their prices have come down a lot in recent years to the point where I've seen records made for like a thousand bucks for all the recording.

I see these type of small home recording setups on my local craigslist going for crazy stuff like 50 bucks per day. Obviously not much profit in that, but for someone who built and uses their own studio mostly. the extra 150 for a 3 day session might help with groceries or whatever.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Thank you for all the excellent feedback. I am going to extend the size of building I purchase to a 12 x 20. The pic in the thread was just for reference. But Im going with a "HIGH WALL" Gabled which offers multiple angles in the ceiling to reflect sound.

Im going to use high density foam insulation between the studs, then build roxul panels to install through out the building covered in colored cloth. Add some sound diffusers.

here is how im fleshing out the building. Is it going to be million dollar studio quality? no.. Am I asking Tool or Metallica to come record here? no / but this will be awesome setup to record local and regional bands looking to make a decent CD to sell or demos to give out. Would I charge $200 a track no, but I bet $50 would be reasonable for the quality you would get vs say down in a rat basement with no sound qualities at all.
When you say build roxul panels what exactly are you talking about?

From what you are describing you have a recipe for a room with minimal reflections that will stop little if any sound from escaping. All those things control reflection but are not dense enough to stop sound.

Also your interior room dimensions are going to be off. By the time you start building walls for those rooms you are going to loose about a foot on each one so that 5x5 will be more like 4x5.

I would echo the sentiment to head over to gearslutz and spend a few months reading and asking before spending a dime. You are heading down a very expensive road that will not end up where you are thinking it will in size and overall sound.

Just as a point of reference regarding your control room. Most drum sets are setup on a 3x5/4x6 rug that's not big at all, especially when you talk about putting a desk, mixer, monitors, lights, door in there. You won't be able to get in or have room to sit down, let alone get other people in there to listen to the mix down.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 AM
Pioneer Member

My single kick, three up, one down has a 7 X 10 foot, foot print. Gonna be crowded.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:28 AM

If i can make tracks that sound better then this (2009 upstate ny 200 year old basement) in a nice building setup for recording music without spending 50,000 rhen im happy..

Listen to Song2 by Wesley Moser #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/wesley-moser/song2