DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Some of you know I replaced all the toms on my DW kit, which left me with the bass drum from 2001. The two new toms come with the new black lettering on white badges and my bass drum has the original chrome lettering on black badges.

I broke down and found a guy selling the new style badges and bought one for the bass drum.

I know - I hang my head in shame for doing it - but the badges just stick out so much better in a good way. I had to spread the love to the bass drum. It won't make me play any better and the drum certainly won't sound different, but at least all the badges will match and they'll all look like they were made at the same time.

Brethren forgive me for I have sinned....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Ghostnote
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

You need to take a good, long look at yourself breh.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:18 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 6,627
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:21 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

This is disgusting. You really need to just give it up with those DWs.

I'll PM my mailing address for you to ship them away so you can feel better about yourself!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,922
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

No problem Bo, I understand.

Could you please send me your unused DW badge so I can put it on my Pearl Export kit?


.
__________________
"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable." - Beethoven
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM
crispycritters crispycritters is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 372
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Nothing wrong with uniformity - I frequently look at my only non Tama piece of hardware (a Pearl 900 boom stand) and dwell on the fact that the legs have a different profile. A replacement Road Pro Boom won't improve my drumming or make any real difference (the Pearl is a great stand and will probably outlive me) but I know I'll be happier when I replace it.

If you don't need the old badge it would look great on my Pearl Forum beater kit (runs for cover....)

Edit - Damn Hollywood Jim beat me to it.....

Last edited by crispycritters; 05-04-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Repeating previous post
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 5,200
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Hate??? Nahhhhh. Ridicule? Oh yeah. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,825
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

The solution is to order a Mapex Saturn... immediately.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
The solution is to order a Mapex Saturn... immediately.
Stole the words right outta my mouth. Pretty gross dude. :)
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:57 PM
wildbill's Avatar
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,983
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

You don't need the Saturn.

Just the badge.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-04-2016, 09:17 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Had we not known about this, we would have thought much better of you. Now go buy a PDP bass drum head and get a hobby. You have too much time on your hands.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
No problem Bo, I understand.

Could you please send me your unused DW badge so I can put it on my Pearl Export kit?


.
I could probably sell it for a good price. The new one I got wasn't cheap!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Had we not known about this, we would have thought much better of you. Now go buy a PDP bass drum head and get a hobby. You have too much time on your hands.
I know. I need a hobby. Maybe actually PLAYING the drums would be a start ;)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Tommy_D's Avatar
Tommy_D Tommy_D is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,390
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

So are you going to stamp the matching serial number in to the badge?
__________________
Tommy D's Drums
Cymbals for Sale
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,922
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

I just realized. I don't hate you for being shallow.
I hate you for being able to have new drum sets all the time.

(Wait a minute. I guess that makes me shallow.)


.
__________________
"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable." - Beethoven
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2016, 10:54 PM
Icetech's Avatar
Icetech Icetech is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Shallowness is not the reason i hate you..
__________________
He boiled for my sins...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,249
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

You make it sound like shallowness is a bad thing.

Your shallowness is your best quality!

Wait, that didn't come out right.

You do shallow better than anyone I know!

Crap, that's not it either.

Your shallowness makes me feel good about myself.

Oh dear, I'm not doing so well...

Your shallowness is an endless form of entertainment.

There, that's better.

:)
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 AM
Ghostnote
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Hey, I like traditional sizes. I never got into the whole power tom thing.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2016, 01:14 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,249
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
Hey, I like traditional sizes. I never got into the whole power tom thing.
So you're no square.

Reaching,
UL
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2016, 01:24 AM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,649
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Wasn't there someone on here a while back asking about putting DW badges on his PDP kit?

Maybe you could donate them to a needy--even shallower--fellow drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-05-2016, 01:43 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You make it sound like shallowness is a bad thing.

Your shallowness is your best quality!

Wait, that didn't come out right.

You do shallow better than anyone I know!

Crap, that's not it either.

Your shallowness makes me feel good about myself.

Oh dear, I'm not doing so well...

Your shallowness is an endless form of entertainment.

There, that's better.

:)
That was deep.................
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-05-2016, 05:43 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Wasn't there someone on here a while back asking about putting DW badges on his PDP kit?

Maybe you could donate them to a needy--even shallower--fellow drummer.
He can buy them like the rest of us shallow people. The one badge wasn't exactly pocket change!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,676
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

We don't need no stinking badges.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ
__________________
"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail". John Wooden


http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Duck Tape's Avatar
Duck Tape Duck Tape is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,484
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

You're a liar and a cheat.
__________________
Watch a purdie shuffle here!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPmH1wrSiQ
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2016, 03:57 PM
tcspears tcspears is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

You know, I always see these badges on Reverb and eBay, and I've always wondered who buys them... now I know! :-)

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, especially if you're gigging, appearance does matter!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Perception is reality, Bo.

......................................
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-05-2016, 04:48 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcspears View Post
You know, I always see these badges on Reverb and eBay, and I've always wondered who buys them... now I know! :-)

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, especially if you're gigging, appearance does matter!
Especially when the number of people who get close enough to the drums to see the badges is overwhelming
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Tommy_D's Avatar
Tommy_D Tommy_D is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,390
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Ya know, I'm going to call out your shallowness. If I called out the guy putting the DW head on his PDP kit, I got to call this out as well.

The Collectors badges have serial numbers attached to them (as many higher end drums do). But... considering how methodical DW is about cataloging their drums, that serial number corresponds to that drum, the order number, the date of construction, all the specs of the drum at the time of its construction, factory photographs of the drums in their original condition, etc. It's like having "matching numbers" on collector cars. If someone went out and changed the tag on a '64 GTO to have corresponding numbers with what they installed in the car (not factory installed) it would be considered fraudulent.

Now, I'm not saying you are trying to be fraudulent, you are just being shallow. Fortunately, you recognize this and called yourself out on it, so we can't give you too much $h!t about it. As for the right and wrong aspect of this, so long as you are not trying to sell your gear as something it is not, then you really aren't hurting anyone. If you tried to sell the bass drum as a current generation drum with that badge, well then it would be a different story.
__________________
Tommy D's Drums
Cymbals for Sale
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-05-2016, 06:16 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

There are plenty of DW badges for sale on Ebay so I guess Bo could sell the one he took off to offset his expenses?
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Ya know, I'm going to call out your shallowness. If I called out the guy putting the DW head on his PDP kit, I got to call this out as well.

The Collectors badges have serial numbers attached to them (as many higher end drums do). But... considering how methodical DW is about cataloging their drums, that serial number corresponds to that drum, the order number, the date of construction, all the specs of the drum at the time of its construction, factory photographs of the drums in their original condition, etc. It's like having "matching numbers" on collector cars. If someone went out and changed the tag on a '64 GTO to have corresponding numbers with what they installed in the car (not factory installed) it would be considered fraudulent.

Now, I'm not saying you are trying to be fraudulent, you are just being shallow. Fortunately, you recognize this and called yourself out on it, so we can't give you too much $h!t about it. As for the right and wrong aspect of this, so long as you are not trying to sell your gear as something it is not, then you really aren't hurting anyone. If you tried to sell the bass drum as a current generation drum with that badge, well then it would be a different story.
So I had to look at this, but the two new toms have two badges: one with a serial # and one without that says "Made in the USA". The one I got for the bass drum has no serial # on it but says "Custom Crafted" instead of "Made in the USA". And my old bass drum doesn't have provisions for two badges, just one anyway. So all I'm doing is matching colors on the badges.

But even if I tried to sell it, how could this be fraudulent? It's still a Collectors drum. It's not like I'm putting completely different badges on it and saying it's something else. The serial # is stamped inside the shell to know its a Collectors drum. I'd be up front about replacing the toms.

However, I've settled on the fact that I can't sell this kit anyway. I knew this when I installed that PDP tom mount on it because the DW tom mount is stupid heavy and costs too much. And people who want DW are so programmed to only want virgin bass drums that they wouldn't even consider what I have - which is why I'm going to these lengths to make me happy with them.

I may even confuse more people when I replace the front logo head with a blank Remo FiberSkyn 3! (This would be for sonic reasons, of course ;)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,676
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post

However, I've settled on the fact that I can't sell this kit anyway. I knew this when I installed that PDP tom mount on it because the DW tom mount is stupid heavy and costs too much. And people who want DW are so programmed to only want virgin bass drums that they wouldn't even consider what I have - which is why I'm going to these lengths to make me happy with them.
Never say never. :-)
__________________
"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail". John Wooden


http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Never say never. :-)
I dunno man. You ever see a DW fanboy with anything drilled into their bass drums? Sadly, no. Aesthetics is more important than functionality, you know ;)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-05-2016, 07:15 PM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 5,200
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
You ever see a DW fanboy with anything drilled into their bass drums?
Yeah. Just one, though... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Smoke Smoke is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lansing, MI, USA
Posts: 635
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

What's next, Bo? Are you going to re-badge your Leica S2-P as a Hasselblad H4D 200MS?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
What's next, Bo? Are you going to re-badge your Leica S2-P as a Hasselblad H4D 200MS?
If I had either I'd probably remove the labels altogether ;)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 PM
T_Weaves's Avatar
T_Weaves T_Weaves is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Forest Hills, PA
Posts: 998
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Some of you know I replaced all the toms on my DW kit, which left me with the bass drum from 2001. The two new toms come with the new black lettering on white badges and my bass drum has the original chrome lettering on black badges.

I broke down and found a guy selling the new style badges and bought one for the bass drum.

I know - I hang my head in shame for doing it - but the badges just stick out so much better in a good way. I had to spread the love to the bass drum. It won't make me play any better and the drum certainly won't sound different, but at least all the badges will match and they'll all look like they were made at the same time.

Brethren forgive me for I have sinned....
I'm sure there's a PDP owner out there who could use the old DW badge.
__________________
Sonor Delite | Gretsch Brooklyn
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

[quote=Jimi Rashidi;1434354]I'm sure there's a PDP owner out there who could use the old DW badge.[/

I think by the time a PDP player replaced all the badges, he would have spent enough to have bought an actual DW Kit ;)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-05-2016, 09:34 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,249
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

I can relate.

I didn't feel Yolanda was complete until I slapped the bass drum decal on her round little reso.

So I'm guilty too.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 AM
GetAgrippa's Avatar
GetAgrippa GetAgrippa is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Gosh it's your conscience as you feel guilty the DW kit gets so little attention now with the new Pearl Reference Pure "Siberian tiger" kit. So your trying to buy the DW's affection with an expensive gift. Dang that is shallow I don't think the kit is going to fall for it man.
__________________
"I roll to the tune of a different drummer ;) "
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Pachikara-Tharakan's Avatar
Pachikara-Tharakan Pachikara-Tharakan is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany
Posts: 560
Default Re: Don't hate me for the shallowness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
That was deep.................
yes it is....absolutely..
__________________
:)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com