DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:14 PM

Default Modern Drummer Magazine - Your Thoughts

How far back do you guys go with Modern Drummer? When did you read your first issue? What did you like about the magazine? Do you still like it?

My first issue was around 1984 or so. I remember the covers with Andy Newmark, Roger Taylor (Duran Duran), Art Blakey...and so on.

I loved Roy Burns' "Concepts" column. I loved Rick Van Horn's "Club Scene" column. I loved Rick Van Horn's interviews and reviews. I never threw an issue away and had hundreds of issues. I used to read them at bedtime, or when I woke up. And in between. I'd even read old issues years later.

And now in 2015, for some reason, I'm just not interested anymore. I stopped reading the hardcopy years ago and have the app and subscription that I read on my ipad. I know things change, times change, people get old, but I miss Rick Van Horn's contributions.

It's fun to go back and look at the old issues and ads sometimes.

As a kid, when I'd read it, I couldn't wait to get the next issue and look at everything.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Modern Drummer Magazine - Your Thoughts

I've never bought one, but occasionally flicked through it in WH Smiths whilst in the airport or waiting for a train.

Kopites are gobshítes.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I never subscribed, but occasionally I'd buy an issue if it had something interesting to me. Like the OP, over time there seemed to be less content of interest, and I can't remember the last time I bought a copy. Even at NAMM where there are complimentary stacks of the latest issue, I won't take one unless there's something I want to read about.

Bermuda
Old 11-05-2015, 12:53 AM
Ghostnote

.y parents started getting me subscriptions in the mid 80's. My first issue had Rick Marotta on the cover. I stopped subscribing in the early 90's when I started to just look at the gear ads.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I never subscribed, but occasionally I'd buy an issue if it had something interesting to me. Like the OP, over time there seemed to be less content of interest, and I can't remember the last time I bought a copy. Even at NAMM where there are complimentary stacks of the latest issue, I won't take one unless there's something I want to read about.

Bermuda
My memory isn't the best but weren't you in a Corder Drum ad holding a snare drum saying "it isn't this big it just sounds that way?"
Old 11-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

I had a subscription from the late 80's until about a year and 1/2 ago.

And I used to have a large collection of back issues going back to their early days.

As a young drummer, I used to read every article, every interview, often twice. It didn't matter if the subject matter or drummer being interviewed was interesting or not, I'd read it anyway to just absorb the knowledge.

But as time went by, I stopped reading articles or interviews that weren't interesting. And then as more time went by, I'd get issues and realize I had never even heard of most of the people in it. And then my subscription lapsed.

I do think about renewing now and then, but I don't seem to get around to doing it.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:08 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

I use to read MD in the early 80's (as well as other drums magazine), I never subscribed though, I still got the copies, I read them from time to time.

I read an article about Simon Phillips a few weeks ago, the fact that he was described as "unknown" and a "up and coming" drummer made me chuckle :)
Old 11-05-2015, 01:20 AM

I relate to your changing interest in MD, and I think it's partly a function of how info is consumed these days. I can get exponentially more info from drum forums, manufacturer sites, etc., than can be found in any magazine.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I use to read MD in the early 80's (as well as other drums magazine), I never subscribed though, I still got the copies, I read them from time to time.

I read an article about Simon Phillips a few weeks ago, the fact that he was described as "unknown" and a "up and coming" drummer made me chuckle :)
Who is this Simon Phillips anyway? You sure talk about him a lot.

I haven't had a MD mag since the 80's, I think Larry Londin was on the cover. He drummed on Oh Sherry by Steve Perry. I'm pretty sure.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post
My memory isn't the best but weren't you in a Corder Drum ad holding a snare drum saying "it isn't this big it just sounds that way?"
I definitely remember Bermuda in an MD ad; maybe it was for Stingray drums?
Old 11-05-2015, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't bought MD in years. I used to buy it fairly regularly but the content-to-advertising ratio got to the point where I started to question the value. Then the price went up. Not playing that game.

Here's the issue. As copies develop a lower circulation, then they have to rely more on the advertisers than the cover price to garner income. That develops a vicious cycle whereby even fewer people will buy it because of the advertising ratio, so they put more ads in to cover the cost. Then the price is raised and they lose more circulation and thus it continues.

I applaud them for making an online subscription, that's a good idea - but these magazines really need to start making interesting editorial content. There's a thread active at the moment about how no magazine will ever publish a negative review of a product because of the potential risk of losing advertisers but the reality is that a lack of integrity will lose readers as well.

There are 'free' papers in London that exist purely on the advertising revenue. They hand them out at Underground stations to commuters and they litter the streets. They are absolute rags and I will actively refuse copies and refuse to read them because of the complete lack of quality content. It's a race to the bottom and unfortunately we, as consumers, lose out.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:35 AM

Yep, me in the Corder ad, either end of 1984 or beg of 85. I had an "up & coming" feature in the January 1985 issue, and there was an update some years later in the August, 2000 issue. I think that was the last time I bought a copy (perhaps they sent me a copy?) When they feature my obituary, I guess I'll buy that, too.

Bermuda
Old 11-05-2015, 01:42 AM
"Uncle Larry"

MD was one of my only rare contacts with the world of drumming outside my own head. I got it regularly starting from the mid seventies until I took my "gotta learn how to make money" break in 1984.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I had a subscription from the late 80's until about a year and 1/2 ago.

And I used to have a large collection of back issues going back to their early days.

As a young drummer, I used to read every article, every interview, often twice. It didn't matter if the subject matter or drummer being interviewed was interesting or not, I'd read it anyway to just absorb the knowledge.

But as time went by, I stopped reading articles or interviews that weren't interesting. And then as more time went by, I'd get issues and realize I had never even heard of most of the people in it. And then my subscription lapsed.

I do think about renewing now and then, but I don't seem to get around to doing it.
This describes me perfectly except my subscription was more sporadic. I used to love MD but have since lost interest. I guess because internet.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:05 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Who is this Simon Phillips anyway? You sure talk about him a lot.
He's an obscure drummer I met in London a few years ago :)
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2015, 02:12 AM

I subscribed a couple of years ago when I got back into drumming after a long layoff.
Like a lot of you, I have very fond memories of MD from the 80's.
I feel like the magazine has changed, but maybe it's I who have changed...
I also had the archives for my computer - it was great to be able to look at all the old magazines! Unfortunately, it doesn't function on OS X after the last couple of OS X upgrades.
I do pretty much read the whole issue, and I do look forward to it coming in the mail.

(I was given a subscription to Drum! as a gift, and I actually look a little more forward to getting that one.)
Old 11-05-2015, 03:14 AM

MD has certainly changed. Initially, as the first-ever drumming publication, they had some catching up to do with the legends and recent heavy-hitters in the business. Eventually, after those players had been suitably covered, there had to be a shift towards up&coming and lesser known players, with an obvious leaning towards a younger readership. Well, after all, the magazine is called Modern Drummer...

Judging by the nominees in MD's current reader's poll, their readership consists of younger players, listening to different drummers than the older guys for the most part.

But, that's where Classic Drummer (originally Vintage Drummer) filled a gap, featuring older pros who have aged-out of MD's reader demographic, as well as more obscure players from the past, before MD existed, and who weren't quite worthy of inclusion.

DRUM! is another magazine altogether, and I kinda dig what Andy's done/doing with it.

And there's Drumhead, Jonathan Mover's magazine, which seems to be less interested in the flavor-of-the-month, and more dedicated to serious players and playing, career advice, etc. very no-nonsense, and therefore a breath of fresh air.

And those are just in the States. There are other great drum mags around the world.

Online, there's also Tom Tom and Not So Modern Drummer, not to mention countless sites from educators and players, dedicated to technique, developing ideas, practice, etc.

Anyway, Modern Drummer is facing more competition than ever before, particularly when it comes to selling ad space. Even the big companies with familiar and consistent ad placement in certain publications have to make choices when allocating their ad budget. Way back, MD was the only game in town, but they don't always get the same advertisers in every issue like they were able to count on in the past.

A niche readership such as drummers is a tough business, even without 2 or 3 other printed publications breathing down your neck. I wouldn't want to be the editor who has to decide how to grow or simply retain readers with extremely diverse drumming interests. There's no way to please everyone in a single publication anyway.

Bermuda
Old 11-05-2015, 04:19 AM
Silver Member

I thought Traps was a class publication. Wasn't it an off - shoot from Drum magazine?

I was sorry that it was so short lived. I really liked it.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

I think Modern Drummer and Drum! both suffer from the problems of the music business as a whole.

There are no huge bands selling millions of albums or being heavily featured on the MTV that can thrown on the cover. Even the guys who don't sell millions like Weckl, came to prominence through playing with other name musicians. The magazines had an easier time figuring out who should be interviewed.

Where as now, few bands sell millions, but thousands of bands sell a few thousand records each. Youtube has made it so numerous technical drummers can get their name out without needing a high profile gig.

The magazines have far more drummers to select from, but with far fewer people interested in any one of them.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:44 AM

Traps was DRUM!'s answer to Classic drummer. There really wasn't room for 2 such magazines, and Classic Drummer already had a solid following.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Traps was DRUM!'s answer to Classic drummer. There really wasn't room for 2 such magazines, and Classic Drummer already had a solid following.
Yeah, that would explain it; makes sense. I guess I was just partial to Traps (but there weren't enough like me).
Old 11-05-2015, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

There are a few other independent online drum magazines that I know about like The Black Page dot net and The Drummer's Journal. I know about these by frequenting this forum, and I've checked them out a few times.

I don't read MD online because it takes too long to load. I do read Drum! online now and then. All the other mags, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
He's an obscure drummer I met in London a few years ago :)
Ahh, that guy! He turned out to be an amazing drummer after what you taught him right here, eh?
Old 11-05-2015, 05:47 AM
Matt Bo Eder

My cousin hipped me to this new drumming magazine back in 1977, and as a would-be-hip 11-year-old I would read them whenever I could get a copy. I didn't subscribe until 1982 when they finally went monthly (this was the Stewart Copeland issue), and I kept my subscription until 1994. I also learned a lot from Rick Van Horn, and Roy Burns. Pre-internet, this was the only way to find out what was new and improved in gear and who was playing what. The album reviews were helpful as well and hipped me to a lot of cool music and drummers.

But I guess as I got older, I lost interest, or if there was something I wanted to find out, I knew enough to go out and find out for myself. It's funny that once you start working it for a living, I no longer searched for ideals but practical answers to common drumming problems, so a magazine based on advertising the ideals of drumming didn't really fit with being out in the trenches four nights a week slugging it out at some bar/restaurant.

As I got older too I joked about the title being all wrong. "Modern Drummer"? How could you be modern if the job never changes? You're responsible for the groove, time, vibe.....that never changes. And if you aren't doing that, you're not working. I joked that being a modern drummer meant you were unleashed from those old-fashioned concepts like time keeping ;)
Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 AM

I subscribed five years from 1983 on, and picked it up again 3 years ago, it reflects my drumming interest. I think it's a quite good magazine although I don't know of all drummers of today and yes, there seems to be an increase in advertising. But even in the eighties there were a fair amount of ads and MD is very affordable. And it's great with a paper issue to read in bed. Only problem is that I don't throw them away so they occupy some space.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM

I've kept an active MD sub just to keep up with new trends and players. I usually look to an artist I don't know and youtube their tunes.

It's about the only way I consume music now. Haven't bought a real record in 15 years.

So, yeah, MD keeps me up to date on things I otherwise wouldn't be aware of. I keep sending them money for that.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

I started writing for MD in 1977. I was hired as Managing Editor in October 1980 and left almost exactly three years later. By the time I left I had written almost 50-percent of MD's feature stories.

Best,
Scott K Fish
Old 11-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Gold Member

I too have fond memories of the mag back in the day, pre-Internet. I've been a subscriber for the past 10 years or so but I'm finally going to let my subscription lapse. It has been taken over by advertising and while I can appreciate the need to pay the bills and turn a profit, enough is enough. What content there is generally doesn't interest me; long gone are the days when I couldn't put a new issue down until I went through it cover to cover. Don't get me started at their lack of integrity when conducting product reviews. I'm done this year.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:05 PM

WOW - I've never subscribed so maybe I shouldn't even be posting. But, from comments here, it sounds like this mag's days could be limited - at least the hard copy version.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:42 PM

I'm 38 years old and when I first starting drumming in 1991-1992-ish, I picked up an occasional issue if we went to the book store at the local mall. I probably owned 6-7 total and almost remember all the covers.

I can remember my first issue had Ed Shaugnessy <sp> on the cover. He was Johnny Carson's guy. Great article.

Other issues' covers had Larrie Londin (right after he passed way), Tim Alexander (Primus) , Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden), Stephen Perkins (Jane's Addiction but this article was more about the new project at the time, Porno For Pyros), and Steve Gorman (Black Crowes).

I recently recycled them as I was doing some cleaning. But I had a few issues with those "Sound Supplements" I believe they were called that you could play on a record player. I paged through them one last time. One interesting piece was their "NEW ITEM" feature. First thing I noticed was Moongel! I didn't realize it dated back to the early 90's!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM

i think in the early stages of learning MD was a fantastic resource, and the only one of its kind in the early days; my local reference library had archived copies going back to 1978, and throughout the 80s i'd spend many Sundays trying to catch up on all the various players, many of whom i'd never heard of or heard play

once i started going to clinics (and after about 40 of them) plus taking a college jazz drum course for a year, inevitably all the information starts to repeat, and there is less new information to be gained (i mean, every Terrry Bozzio clinic i've ever gone to has him answering the SAME four questions every time)

now that the internet is here, there is less need for a specialized publication, and now there are MORE of them

but DrumHead has some great interviews if you can find a copy
Old 11-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Here's the issue. As copies develop a lower circulation, then they have to rely more on the advertisers than the cover price to garner income. That develops a vicious cycle whereby even fewer people will buy it because of the advertising ratio, so they put more ads in to cover the cost. Then the price is raised and they lose more circulation and thus it continues.
This is the same death spiral that is affecting all of radio and network television. As they lose traditional viewership, they need to buy more ads, which costs more viewers, in turn they buy more ads. Radio, TV, and print media, are slinging out less meaningful content, with more ad time, and charging more for it. What's interesting is that the younger generation (the teenagers right now) will most likely never read a pring magazine, won't listen to a traditional radio station, and might never have a cable/television subscription.

Back to the post, I was never really interested in MD; as a jazz guy, I never had any idea who they were talking about, and I'm not a gear head, so most of the magazine was like reading a math book... I feel bad they are in the spiral, but I think many of the media formats are going to have to re-evaluate how they do business.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Looked through it a couple of times in WH Smith but I find it a bit too gushing for my taste. Wouldnt want to upset the advertisers, would they, but that tends to ruin the authenticity.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcspears View Post
This is the same death spiral that is affecting all of radio and network television. As they lose traditional viewership, they need to buy more ads, which costs more viewers, in turn they buy more ads. Radio, TV, and print media, are slinging out less meaningful content, with more ad time, and charging more for it. What's interesting is that the younger generation (the teenagers right now) will most likely never read a pring magazine, won't listen to a traditional radio station, and might never have a cable/television subscription.

Back to the post, I was never really interested in MD; as a jazz guy, I never had any idea who they were talking about, and I'm not a gear head, so most of the magazine was like reading a math book... I feel bad they are in the spiral, but I think many of the media formats are going to have to re-evaluate how they do business.
It's happened on websites, too. The 'best' way out of the death spiral for all of these media outlets is to produce compelling content. That brings readers back, that brings audiences back and sometimes the death spiral reverses - usually though, it's already too late as multi-year advertising deals have been done and once prices are raised it's very hard to bring them back down.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
It's happened on websites, too. The 'best' way out of the death spiral for all of these media outlets is to produce compelling content. That brings readers back, that brings audiences back and sometimes the death spiral reverses - usually though, it's already too late as multi-year advertising deals have been done and once prices are raised it's very hard to bring them back down.
Couldnt agree more. Look at TV. If we Brits want ours to go the same way as the US, just get rid of the TV licence and make the BBC use advertisers.

Back in the day ITV one hour shows had one add break. Now? At least two, usually three or four. Its mind numbing. In the US its sometimes difficult to tell where the show stops and the adds begin. Nothing worse than trying to watch a good movie with the plot constantly interrupted by add breaks.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

The quality of the writing (in the interviews especially) is not what it once was, and it seems more dominated by advertising and gear-related stuff, but it's still pretty good. There's usually a few worthwhile things in each issue. Every few years I'll renew my lapsed subscription.

With the writing you notice a lot of Jimmy Fallonitis-- gushing about something as a substitute for actually saying anything. I remember the Chris Dave interview was really egregious that way. And lots of stock questions in the interviews-- who are your influences/what are you working on/what was recording your last album like/what gear are you using/etc. I keep trying to read these pop drummer interviews, and they're all extremely boring that way, and not very informative-- I blame the interviewer for that. Maybe they're under heavy deadline pressure, of something...

MD from the 70s and 80s is hugely important-- Scott Fish et al talked to a lot of people who were never interviewed anywhere else about their drumming. There'd be a huge gap in the literature of drumming without it.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisDrummer View Post
I recently recycled them as I was doing some cleaning. But I had a few issues with those "Sound Supplements" I believe they were called that you could play on a record player. I paged through them one last time. One interesting piece was their "NEW ITEM" feature. First thing I noticed was Moongel! I didn't realize it dated back to the early 90's!
I remember those!!!! I forgot about them. I think they were these square things you did put on a record player! I remember playing Andy Newmark's sound supplement and the beats and fills he was doing on his yamaha kit.

Those were some good times I had reading the issue cover to cover, all the ads, all the articles...and looking foward to the next issue!
Old 11-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssKayKay View Post
WOW - I've never subscribed so maybe I shouldn't even be posting. But, from comments here, it sounds like this mag's days could be limited - at least the hard copy version.
Print media has been in a death spiral for years.
Newspapers and magazines have cut their physical size and slashed staff. The free weekly papers that are mostly ads actually make good money for newspapers.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Couldnt agree more. Look at TV. If we Brits want ours to go the same way as the US, just get rid of the TV licence and make the BBC use advertisers.

Back in the day ITV one hour shows had one add break. Now? At least two, usually three or four. Its mind numbing. In the US its sometimes difficult to tell where the show stops and the adds begin. Nothing worse than trying to watch a good movie with the plot constantly interrupted by add breaks.
For its many flaws, I will defend the BBC for that reason. I could live without the BBC TV but it's the Radio where it really shines and that's chronically underfunded. Radio 4 is a wonder of modern times - really, it is. They ought to look at cutting back their 'doubling' content and chasing market share and focus on new talent (cheaper) doing something more interesting and perhaps risky in terms of the audience, after all it would justify their existence to be relatively experimental and use the licence fee to address ignored audiencies. I don't mind Strictly too much though (at least it's got integrity).

It's been a long time since I've watched an ITV 'documentary'. They pull out the nearest celebrity they can, plaster their name on the top of the programme and expect people to watch - and they do - but they are invariably awful. Channel 4 gets a cut of licence pay as well (it's technically a public service broadcaster too) and I really like quite a lot of what they do. Their news is top-notch and their documentaries are usually excellent - they fall down on drama but I can forgive them for that. I haven't noticed the Channel 4 adverts getting too overbearing yet but I haven't owned a television for 2 years. I use the catch-up services.

As for Sky - there's no way that I'd give money to Murdoch. I actively avoid all of his print media and websites. It's just such a bloody shame they have the rights to the Cricket. BBC to the rescue! Thank goodness for Test Match Special; I actually listen to it as a preference over the TV coverage...

Anyhow. Information and entertainment is out there but like music, to find much of the good stuff you have to go looking.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post
I remember those!!!! I forgot about them. I think they were these square things you did put on a record player! I remember playing Andy Newmark's sound supplement and the beats and fills he was doing on his yamaha kit.

Those were some good times I had reading the issue cover to cover, all the ads, all the articles...and looking foward to the next issue!
Me too, I'll never forget the one with the Sound Supplement of Weckl doing his first self produced song - it was a game changer, my jaw hit the floor. I also remember there being one for Peart's "Pieces of Eight"

On the topic of iPad's and digital subscription to MD: I've had one for the past few years with automatic renewal. It's reasonably priced, but I just got really tired of my iPad, in fact, I just sold it as I don't use it anymore.

Personally, I now prefer a real magazine or a real book, I'll do like Bermuda does - buy an issue if it interests me.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:56 PM

I recently re-subscribed to MD and have been generally disappointed with the ad to content ratio. The physical version used to be so much thicker but then all subscription mags used to be thicker. I can remember reading with gleeful anticipation Neal Peart's first interview and I also recall the issue that followed the next month wherein readers were trashing Peart for seeming to be such a jerk. I can even remember some reviewer and I think I am quoting here who wrote: "it's like we are forced to feel guilty for being fans of his playing"...Of course we all know now Peart is very shy and is someone who typically doesn't do the after show meet-and-greets.

Ah the memories...