DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:26 PM
bobafettdrumcorp bobafettdrumcorp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Default Tattoos are cool I guess

I recently quit a band on good terms that I was with for 2 years. It was punk music
in the vein of say Ramones and Descendents.

Anyway, I saw their New Ad looking for a drummer to replace me and they put "Looking for someone with tattoos that fits the culture were into".

I have no tattoos. They never said anything to me about it while I was in the band, although the others guys do have them. I dress in the style of music i'd say, I just don't have any tattoos because I could never decide what the hell I wanted to get. I have no problem with Tattoos, I've always been into the idea, Just never got any done and at almost 41 years old, wondering if I should even bother.

It is funny though that it seems to be a "thing" that could make or break a drum audition. You show up to an audition and all the guys (or most) have them and you don't. But the playing should speak for itself. I dress the part, I just don't INK the part haha
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Tommy_D's Avatar
Tommy_D Tommy_D is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,390
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Sounds like a band who is more in to how they look on the album cover than how they sound on the album. Probably a good thing you quit.
__________________
Tommy D's Drums
Cymbals for Sale
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Nancy_C's Avatar
Nancy_C Nancy_C is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oahu, Hawaii, USA
Posts: 245
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

They sound like a shallow bunch. Count your blessings.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM
wombat's Avatar
wombat wombat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: perth australia
Posts: 306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

I suppose you could always get stick on ones, and change them every gig to drive them nuts.....the seem pretty insecure to me.

Otherwise wear really bad footwear and say "oh sorry...hard of hearing after all these years...I thought you wanted Tatty Shoes ( boom boom)

Personally I think people who get ink done forget how crap it will look when they get middle aged spread...errrrk...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 PM
bobafettdrumcorp bobafettdrumcorp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy_C View Post
They sound like a shallow bunch. Count your blessings.
all really nice guys actually, down to earth and great players, Fun Shows, I had a lot of fun in that band. I just have no time anymore being a family man, to gig every weekend and have been thinking of slowing it down a bit for a while. Not quit, just take a break.

I get it somewhat, the "scene" and the "Music" revolve around this culture where you just have tattoos and are "wild" in a rock band, you know? not that Tattoos are 'Wild" anymore because anyone from Grandmothers to Librarians to Lawyers have them these days, it's become socially acceptable.

In some ways it's almost cool to NOT have any. LOL. Non-Conformist!, just kidding
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

You were smart to quit. Sounds like they need to grow up
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:04 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,446
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Bands playing live are a visual experience.

It's pretty common for bands to want members who look the part.

If it's a wedding gig, it's expected to wear a tux, a country gig, it's expected one looks country. I don't really see a difference between those such gigs and a punk gig wanting someone who looks the part.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:16 AM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,213
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

...and what if an auditioning drummer's tattoo is on their arse?

Just posers.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Anyone,that insists that a fellow musician as a requisit, be tatooed,is far from down to earth,and more shallow that a parking lot puddle.Since when is being tatooed ,a cultureal thing?

If you get a tat,it should be personal matter,and not to fit into any place,as a social thing.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 AM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,171
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Some people get bent out of shape at being expected to dress a certain way to fit with a band's look...and now this!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,360
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Everyone has to look the same? How very UNpunk!!

Rotten would quite rightly be ashamed of them all.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2014, 01:34 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Bands playing live are a visual experience.

It's pretty common for bands to want members who look the part.

If it's a wedding gig, it's expected to wear a tux, a country gig, it's expected one looks country. I don't really see a difference between those such gigs and a punk gig wanting someone who looks the part.
I do when it involves something more than clothing. Tattoos are forever.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2014, 01:44 AM
bobafettdrumcorp bobafettdrumcorp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I do when it involves something more than clothing. Tattoos are forever.
Me too. I'm all for "looking the part" when it comes to Entertainment, I get it...

But Tattoos don't really say anything except you paid money to get ink needled into your skin. I like them, I think they look cool on some people, I just don't feel like it should be a 'make or break' kind of thing when being accepted into a band. Saying "Let's go with the first drummer that auditioned because he has ink and looks the part instead of the other drummer that looks the part but doesn't have any ink" is silly.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,512
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Tatts are in fashion so it's no surprise. Imagine John's reaction if, in 1968, Paul turned up to a photo shoot clean shaven and with a neatly parted short back n' sides haircut.

Did anyone see that Bing Bang Theory episode where Howard and Raj try to pick up Goth girls by wearing fake ink sleeves on their arms? You could always turn up to an auditions wearing fake tatt sleeves. Might get sweaty, though :)
__________________
Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 AM
MileHighDrummer's Avatar
MileHighDrummer MileHighDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Denver / Los Angeles
Posts: 445
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy_C View Post
They sound like a shallow bunch. Count your blessings.
+1, shallow pool. You'll be better swimming elsewhere.
__________________
Steve
"When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
Ludwig Super Classic Maple
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,446
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

In the music business appearance counts.

I'm on the MI alumni email list.

Today two emails came across.

One was looking for band members of a very specific age range, and gave details of a very specific look applying musicians must have.

The second email specified the musician be a female.

Pretentious? Sexist? Age-discrimination? Perhaps. But they were also paid touring gigs.

Is requesting someone with a tattoo really any different than requiring someone to be of a certain age, or gender, or certain overall look?

I can't say I see much of a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Diet Kirk's Avatar
Diet Kirk Diet Kirk is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 505
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

I don't think the band members are shallow.

They didn't kick the OP out, he decided to left. So they clearly appreciated his playing and they had fun as a group.

Now they are in the market for a new drummer, they figure why not go the whole nine yards and see if they can find someone with the same look as the rest of them.

Like DrumEat Drum this is the entertainment business and look is a part of things sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Bands playing live are a visual experience.

It's pretty common for bands to want members who look the part.

If it's a wedding gig, it's expected to wear a tux, a country gig, it's expected one looks country. I don't really see a difference between those such gigs and a punk gig wanting someone who looks the part.
It's the complete antithesis of punk rock to insist that someone conforms to a style or look.

And I've never ever heard anyone claim that tats=punk rock

Biggest pile of nonsense I've ever heard (not from you....but from OP's ex-band).

What arseholes
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Kirk View Post
I don't think the band members are shallow.

They didn't kick the OP out, he decided to left. So they clearly appreciated his playing and they had fun as a group.

Now they are in the market for a new drummer, they figure why not go the whole nine yards and see if they can find someone with the same look as the rest of them.

Like DrumEat Drum this is the entertainment business and look is a part of things sometimes.
It's punk rock man.

There are hundreds of dead punk rockers, right now, rolling in their graves

:-)
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Tatts are in fashion so it's no surprise. Imagine John's reaction if, in 1968, Paul turned up to a photo shoot clean shaven and with a neatly parted short back n' sides haircut.

Did anyone see that Bing Bang Theory episode where Howard and Raj try to pick up Goth girls by wearing fake ink sleeves on their arms? You could always turn up to an auditions wearing fake tatt sleeves. Might get sweaty, though :)
Exactly...and when did punk rock turn into 'fashion'.

PASSION NOT FASHION

Really...can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on this subject. What a terrible reflection on the modern punk rock movement.

But why am I surprised. I signed up some time back on a Punk Rock group on Facebook. Christ alive I've never come across such a bunch of musical nazis in my life..."Green Day aren't punk....you're not punk because.....your band aren't punk....blah blah blah".

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

:-)
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,171
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Punk rock...Facebook...does not compute.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2014, 02:07 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
In the music business appearance counts.

I'm on the MI alumni email list.

Today two emails came across.

One was looking for band members of a very specific age range, and gave details of a very specific look applying musicians must have.

The second email specified the musician be a female.

Pretentious? Sexist? Age-discrimination? Perhaps. But they were also paid touring gigs.

Is requesting someone with a tattoo really any different than requiring someone to be of a certain age, or gender, or certain overall look?

I can't say I see much of a difference.
There is a huge difference. As I mentioned before, tattoos are permanent. Wearing all black clothes and big boots, or even going the Kiss route are all temporary costume changes. Shaved head, your hair grows back. Long hair, you can cut it. Tattoo, you are stuck. Big difference to me. If I wear long sleeves to every gig, who will know if I have tattoos or not. Pretty juvenile.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM
NerfLad's Avatar
NerfLad NerfLad is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 617
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

You're doing your own thing and going against the norm. Sounds pretty punk to me!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:02 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 34
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
It's the complete antithesis of punk rock to insist that someone conforms to a style or look.

And I've never ever heard anyone claim that tats=punk rock

Biggest pile of nonsense I've ever heard (not from you....but from OP's ex-band).

What arseholes
to be honest ... everything that claims to be punk rock today is the antithesis of punk rock

what they are actually doing is trying to conform to a popular look in this contemporary form of corporate "punk" .... which is not uncommon at all

I remember looking for bands in ads in the late 80s and they all said ... must have long hair ... must have X wardrobe and be willing to Y .... no fat people..... bla bla bla

when living in LA in the 90s I saw that most ads would say .... must be willing to wear eye liner and nail polish .....

so these guys are looking for someone with tats.... so what

they are not asking someone to get inked.... they want someone who looks the part of whatever they are looking for .... this is all as common as being expected to wear a suit to a corporate job interview ... or slacks and a button down to a jazz gig.... or cowboy boots and a flannel to a country gig....

as for this whole.... "looking punk" thing.... I guess most think of Sex Pistols and Exploited and such when they think of punk.... with that look....

I may be old.... but to me punk rock looks like this








Last edited by WhoIsTony?; 06-03-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

So, Tony, you are saying that it makes sense to you to reject what may be the best drummer the band has ever heard in audition, because he has no tattoos. I'm not saying right or wrong, but makes sense. Not to me, sorry. Put on long sleeves and go play music. And it is really ironic that every one in the photos you posted above is wearing long sleeves but three, and one of them actualkl has the General Mills G on his right arm.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:01 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Punk rock's entire existence has always been based on the fact that it's about the music and NOT....NOT.......NOT....about conforming to a look, or an image, or doing what people want you to do, wearing a uniform, etc.

The photos shown are testament....they all look different. All look individual.

ANYONE can play punk rock. It's the whole point. Grab an instrument. Learn it to a reasonable standard, and PLAY. Doesn't matter what you look like. Fat, thin, ugly, scruffy. No-one will judge you. Just play.

I still believe in the spirit of punk rock....any band who says "you gotta have tattoos to be in the band" is completely and irreversibly missing the entire point.
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Punk rock...Facebook...does not compute.
It's a good medium for arranging gigs, promoting your own music, seeing what the UK Subs are up to, etc.
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:22 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 34
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post

I still believe in the spirit of punk rock...
you and I both my friend .... 100%

and believe it or not ...as oxymoron as it sounds.... that spirit of punk rock is alive and well in the jazz scene of NYC

there is very much a .. F you ... we don't care what you think ... we do this for the love.... in your face .... aggressive collaboration ... kind of spirit to a lot of the undercurrent late night jazz in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Jersey City happening right now....

it's beautiful ..... it feels a lot like the actual punk rock I was involved with as a kid
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 34
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
So, Tony, you are saying that it makes sense to you to reject what may be the best drummer the band has ever heard in audition, because he has no tattoos. I'm not saying right or wrong, but makes sense. Not to me, sorry. Put on long sleeves and go play music. And it is really ironic that every one in the photos you posted above is wearing long sleeves but three, and one of them actualkl has the General Mills G on his right arm.

not what I am saying at all G

I am saying they are looking for someone who fits the bill ..... they want a certain look..... totally common ... .. someone who can play who fits the bill.. and if they are a decent band they will have no problem finding that guy

if I read correctly the OP left the band on his own

not saying I agree with it .... but it happens more than it doesn't within the music industry

I myself have sat at dinners with record executives who said things like ....
it's great that none of you are over weight
..and... none of you are over 30 right?
and ... are you willing to shave ?

it's a business full of bullshit if you are at the mercy of the business itself

bands who form a movement themselves and have an established fanbase before they need the assistance of a "label" have less need to conform ... and quite frankly those are usually the bands who set the standard and have the copycats conforming to them .... then all the companies go looking for clones who look and sound like them .

that is what is happening now... and the look now happens to be sleeve tats and whatever..... has been for a long time in certain genres

people sell their souls everyday to become recognized in the music industry .... it has happened since the beginning of time .

it's a copycat league ... and until someone breaks the mold everyone will be chasing whats currently "hot"

everyone was wearing eye makeup and spandex until Nirvana blew up wearing ripped jeans and cardigans ......
then those same guys who were wearing spandex all of the sudden were wearing ripped jeans and cardigans

it's a vicious cycle
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:54 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,368
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

I agree with everything you've said here. My only question is does it make sense?
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,756
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I agree with everything you've said here. My only question is does it make sense?
It's not really any different than store managers not hiring because there's too many tats, or piercings, or long hair... It's just in the opposite direction. People needing a certain image to sell something is nothing new at all.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
you and I both my friend .... 100%

and believe it or not ...as oxymoron as it sounds.... that spirit of punk rock is alive and well in the jazz scene of NYC

there is very much a .. F you ... we don't care what you think ... we do this for the love.... in your face .... aggressive collaboration ... kind of spirit to a lot of the undercurrent late night jazz in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Jersey City happening right now....

it's beautiful ..... it feels a lot like the actual punk rock I was involved with as a kid
I can absolutely subscribe to that...
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 PM
GeoB's Avatar
GeoB GeoB is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tidewater Virginia
Posts: 1,273
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Tatts are in fashion...
Fashions are mere costumes...

Good on ya' - tats will be out of style and as all fashion inevitably becomes cyclic...
__________________
dic quid gingiberi
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Mike_In_KC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoB View Post
tats will be out of style and as all fashion inevitably becomes cyclic...
YES! I used to think about how silly they will look in 40 years with wrinkles and tattoos but since all of their friends have tats as well I suppose they will fit right in...

When I was a kid and used to walk 10 miles to school each way in the snow the only people who got tattoos were men in the military and/or in prison. Now soccer moms are getting tats.

Just get off my lawn!

MM
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

I've a few friends, of both sexes, who are really vibed about ink.

The most hilarious thing is listening to them blather on about how 'individual' they are (which may have been true 10 years ago, but given how many people there are now with ink is hardly true anymore).

Alongside posting, on Facebook, the 946,000th rendition of "if you don't like my tats it's YOUR problem not mine".....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They used to be a real sign of freedom, and individuality...until inked people got so up their own arses about the whole thing.

Also...something I always smile at....is how many tattoo parlours there are, and how every single one of them is "award winning". I mean, don't get me wrong, there are some seriously talented artists out there....but some of the tats I've seen look like they've been scrawled on by someone suffering from HAVS
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM
bobafettdrumcorp bobafettdrumcorp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

As the OP I should state that yeah, it is a "Punk" band that I came from but totally agree that
PUNK is a way of thinking and not really a specific Genre of Music anymore like it was in the old days. So this band I left plays that old style but has the current look of today's "Punk".

Nowadays, "Punk" is looking like you could play in Green Day, so you need some black tight clothes and tattoos and beat up converse. That's just the norm. It's "Badass" to have Tattoos.

I don't knock anyone who has tattoos at all, let that be clear. Me, I've just never felt like I just HAD to get to the parlour to get just anything inked on myself to look the part. I've tossed some designs around in my head over the last 15 years but at the end of the day never felt like I must get them done to fit in. I was never ready and probably never will be. And now that i'm older, I'm just feeling like not bothering at all.

Reminds me of the 80's when only dudes in Motley Crue or Poison or Guns N Roses had tattoos all over themselves and cool bands (cool to me anyway) like Circle Jerks or Nine Inch Nails or even Van Halen didn't have that look. I feel like that's the same thing that's going on NOW. lol -- they were eskewing the 'Badass Look' of the day but were still awesome in their own right.

Same thing now
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 34
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettdrumcorp View Post
PUNK is a way of thinking and not really a specific Genre of Music anymore like it was in the old days
thats all its ever been .... an attitude .... an attitude expressed through music

very few of the old school punk bands sounded the same

take the Minute Men , Television, and Stiff Little Fingers .... none of them sound similar ... it is the attitude they share

it was simply youth angst ... often out of poverty ... expressed simply through cheap instruments

punk has always been more a state of mind than a music genre
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Muckster's Avatar
Muckster Muckster is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'm right behind you.
Posts: 1,921
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
so these guys are looking for someone with tats.... so what
Exactly. It's not only about the music, it's about the image and the "hang."

I've been subjected through some funny, disappointing and just plain head scratching questions and comments (as we all have) where the music never seemed to be the priority:

Blues Band: "Can you twirl sticks."
Southern Rock: "You're great man but you don't look like a biker."
Classic Rock: "you're just too young to play with us." (i was 46 at the time).
Jazz: "What church do you go to?"

LOL!
__________________
Max Roach did it, Elvin Jones did it, but Roy Haynes didit and didit and didit.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:06 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,249
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
not what I am saying at all G

I am saying they are looking for someone who fits the bill ..... they want a certain look..... totally common ... .. someone who can play who fits the bill.. and if they are a decent band they will have no problem finding that guy

if I read correctly the OP left the band on his own

not saying I agree with it .... but it happens more than it doesn't within the music industry

I myself have sat at dinners with record executives who said things like ....
it's great that none of you are over weight
..and... none of you are over 30 right?
and ... are you willing to shave ?

it's a business full of bullshit if you are at the mercy of the business itself

bands who form a movement themselves and have an established fanbase before they need the assistance of a "label" have less need to conform ... and quite frankly those are usually the bands who set the standard and have the copycats conforming to them .... then all the companies go looking for clones who look and sound like them .

that is what is happening now... and the look now happens to be sleeve tats and whatever..... has been for a long time in certain genres

people sell their souls everyday to become recognized in the music industry .... it has happened since the beginning of time .

it's a copycat league ... and until someone breaks the mold everyone will be chasing whats currently "hot"

everyone was wearing eye makeup and spandex until Nirvana blew up wearing ripped jeans and cardigans ......
then those same guys who were wearing spandex all of the sudden were wearing ripped jeans and cardigans

it's a vicious cycle
These are the kind of insights into what's happening right now in music that makes me appreciate, both DW and you Tony. Like observations from the trenches. Great great stuff, thanks.

If someone was putting together a country band for instance....would they really even consider someone who plays well but who dresses for country gigs in say shredded leather clothing and spikes? Same principle, except like GD said, tats are permanent. It reflects the harder world we live in today. It also is a commentary on how image is seemingly more important than musical expression. Current "popular" music.... it's merely a vehicle for image and personality and entertainment, and your occasional spectacle.

Back on point, I wonder if this band would consider someone with no tatoos but pledged to wear the fake tat sleeves at any band event? Or temporary tatoos. I mean it's all image right? Who cares if the tats are not real or permanent? As long as the artwork is badass and looks cool, I would hope that would be good enough for these guys.

I think I will put together a band with guys who will all cut their noses off. It doesn't matter if we can play, we will make a killing on image alone. Anything we play will become revered because we cut our noses off. The name of the band will be Spite the Face.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM
bobafettdrumcorp bobafettdrumcorp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Default Re: Tattoos are cool I guess

EXACTLY.

It's kind of like I said earlier, It's almost more "Punk" and "Different" to NOT have tattoos than it is to have Tattoos.

They're kind of an overdone fad at this point.

*I have to say as well, It sure is refreshing when I see a well dressed pretty gal walking down the street with no tattoos.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com