DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 PM

Default Tabs Vs. Traditional Notation

Do you prefer Drum Tabs or Traditional Notation (I prefer Trad). And I don't mean it as 'on the Internet Trad/Tabs are used less/more so they're worse/better', I mean as in 'Trad/Tabs are easier/harder to read and/or write'

Just wanting to get some opinions.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tabs Vs. Traditional Notation

Traditional notation is superior in every single way.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Senior Consultant

I've never used tabs. They look terrible. As drummers, we are typically only concerned with rhythmic notation anyway so how hard is it really to learn how to "read music"?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

I remember when that stuff came around. Guitarists use tab because melody and rhythm to them are usually two separate planets.

For drummers, tab is useless in the real musical world. You'll spend just as much time learning tab as you would learning traditional rhythmic notation. And while it may have given many cats their start, it's just impractical past a certain point. You can't share a "chart" in tab with the guitarist or keyboard, and you can notate a rhythmic "line" with traditional notation on one line quickly and easily rather than having to type out the entire thing.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 05-26-2014, 11:50 PM

Traditional music is far easier to read. TAB is useful for guitar where the same note can be played in a number of positions across the fretboard, but for drums is a big step backwards!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 AM

I've always preferred traditional. It's what I learned to read first and gives you so much more than tabs.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

For drums, tab is a great way to replace an apparently tricky (but actually simple) task with an apparently straightforward (but actually tricky) one.

Another way to state it is this:

Learning to read music takes a bit of effort, but once it's learnt, playing what is written is relatively easy.
Reading tab takes no new skills, but playing from tab is almost impossible.

If tab was the way forward, those funny squiggles would have fallen out of use long ago.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:05 AM

learning to read rhythms is probably the easiest thing anyone will do in their musical journey

why "drum tabs" exist I have absolutely no idea ..... completely and utterly pointless
Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Traditional notation is superior in every single way.
I cannot agree more with that statement. To my guitar students' dismay i still cant read tabs comfortably but sit me down with the same thing fully notated and i can read it and play it faster than they can decipher their "easier" tabs. I have attempted to learn some lately because all my students come in with tabs which i didnt expect because i'm a self taught guitarist and i had never dealt with anything other than chord charts, lead sheets, or traditional notation before i started teaching the instrument. There were no tabs for piano, voice, or violin which i took lessons in and my drum teacher always notated rhythms in traditional notation. I only learnt about lute tabulature in college when going over basso continuo writing. Tabs wouldn't have come up in a Classical Composition program. I played rock and blues guitar in high school and we'd either figure stuff out by ear or do a transcription in the notation we learnt in school. I've found tabs to be very annoying because i'm used to having the rhythmic notation as well as the pitch. I had no idea Drum Tabs existed until this thread.what pray tell do they look like?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
... I had no idea Drum Tabs existed until this thread.what pray tell do they look like?

Prepare to be dismazed....

Old 05-27-2014, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Just to add:

Traditional notation doesn't work for everything. Most of the material I write can't be notated in a traditional way (I don't deal with standard pitches or time signatures most of the time) but for the vast majority of Western music, it works.

A notation system should be theoretically complete. That is, it has all of the information that's required to play the part without reference to external resources. Modern tablature is not complete as a system. With modern tablature (of whatever instrument) important rhythmic information cannot be presented without major structural modification. Traditional notation is just more flexible and elegant when it comes to recording rhythm.

That doesn't mean that all traditional notation charts have to be complete (e.g. lead sheets) but any serious attempt to replace Western notation should at least be as complete a system as the notation that precedes it.

I look at notation as giving you the information that you need, so that you know what to play. Tablature just tries to tell you how to play it, although it fails with rhythm.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

Drum tabs originated from the lack of access to musical notation software. So to write something out on computer, they would write symbols such as -,x,+, and o. Tab is really not necessary today, since we now have musical notation programs, some of which are free.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 AM

I find it easier to read tabs, probably because it's more spaced out. I don't have vision problems. Just seeing everything crammed together makes me feel tense.

That being said, I can't actually read either of them well at all. I've always been better at hearing then memorizing.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Tabs are not a legit alternative system of notation, so it's not really one vs. the other. The only reason ever to use them is if you have to communicate something very basic in plain text on a computer-- like in an email or newsgroup, or on a forum or something. I almost never do even that; I would never write out a complete part, like in JJ's example. I would say that professionals and serious students never use them, but maybe there's some special case where it's easier or more illustrative to diagram a rhythm or set of parts on a grid like that. I guess.

I used to get really annoyed by the existence of tabs, but videos have kind of replaced them as the least efficient/most slovenly possible way of communicating an idea-- you now have people giving these lengthy verbal explanations and demonstrations of things that could be understood instantly if people would just learn how to read.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

Also, if you buy a drumming magazine or look at any drum book, it will be in musical notation - not tab. Take a look at the transcription part of this site.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclin...tionstabs.html

Jeff
Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelocalypse View Post
I find it easier to read tabs, probably because it's more spaced out. I don't have vision problems. Just seeing everything crammed together makes me feel tense.

That being said, I can't actually read either of them well at all. I've always been better at hearing then memorizing.
When I started drumming about 18 months ago, objective one was to learn to read music.

I've played guitar for longer than I care to admit to, but never learned to read.

Honestly, learning to read was the easiest thing. Even at my "cat-sat-on-the-mat" music reading ability, notation is an enormous improvement over tab. I don't consider myself especially musical, but even I can (usually) hear the rhythmic pattern in my head when looking at a piece of drum music*.

* Simple music...Black Page and Polynesian Nightmare do not count!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 AM

I've got nothing against either form, same as I don't have anything against patterns being written in a line with letters instead of notes (like Adam Tuminaro does in his videos as Orlando Drummer on youtube).

However here is where tab may be better - say if you were to learn Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater, there aren't enough lines on the notation paper for all his different toms, let alone the various crashes, hats and chinas that he uses through out the whole song!

I know there are transcriptions available which explain which cymbal is what on the sheet etc but just for knowing what to hit and where, tab is just as useful as notation. If a piece gets too busy I would rather see it on tab, and then when I'm used to playing it then when I see it elsewhere I can relate to it easier.

To me tabs and notation are just like two different accents - its the same language being spoken just put across a different way. One is no more relevant than the other. Only difference is you change how you read, but you can't stop sounding like a cockney if you are from London! :-)
Old 05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Like MJD, I had no idea that tab for drums even existed until I saw this thread. I have used tab for bass and guitar, and it is useful if you want a specific chord voicing, but you could always include chord symbols above the standard notation (which is very common). I don't see any real advantages to it short of trying to notate something on a computer using plain text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
However here is where tab may be better - say if you were to learn Dance of Eternity by Dream Theater, there aren't enough lines on the notation paper for all his different toms, let alone the various crashes, hats and chinas that he uses through out the whole song!
You can make as many lines as want on a decent program. You aren't limited to a grand staff (and even with a grand staff and a few ledger lines you can easily get a few dozen discrete assignments).

But that does point up one unique thing about drum kits, and that's the highly customized nature of many of them. Sure, it's common to have a four or five piece kit with maybe three cymbals, but it's no big deal to see kits with five toms or eight toms and seven or more cymbals. This would be like some basses having four strings and 22 frets but also having some with 8 or 9 strings and 30 or 40 frets. That is, if someone hands me an electric bass and I'm blindfolded, I still know pretty much what to expect short of a few outliers. But you plop me blindfolded behind a kit and who knows what I'll find.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRayDrums View Post
I remember when that stuff came around. Guitarists use tab because melody and rhythm to them are usually two separate planets.
Really? First tabulatures date back to the 12th century... ;)

Last edited by Wavelength; 05-28-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

The best thing we can do, as drummers, is learn how to read music and make fun of guitarists that cannot do so, themselves.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 AM

Thanks for all your opinions. It seems that we mostly agree that Traditional Notation is better than Tabs, it'll be interesting to see what people think in a few years time. Hopefully Tabs won't have taken over!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Really? First tabulatures date back to the 12th century... ;)
DRUM KIT TAB... Mr. Smarty Pants... ;)

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't know where to begin with a Tab.
Traditional notation is hard enough, but Tabs! No way they are easier for drummers.
That Nashville stuff also gives me a headache.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
When I started drumming about 18 months ago, objective one was to learn to read music.

I've played guitar for longer than I care to admit to, but never learned to read.

Honestly, learning to read was the easiest thing. Even at my "cat-sat-on-the-mat" music reading ability, notation is an enormous improvement over tab. I don't consider myself especially musical, but even I can (usually) hear the rhythmic pattern in my head when looking at a piece of drum music*.

* Simple music...Black Page and Polynesian Nightmare do not count!
I've tried to learn. Never picked it up. My original hurdle was nobody told me speed/tempo didn't really matter (as long as it was all the same).
I think the other thing that bothers me is the way music is counted vs how numbers are counted. In music, the whole number/count comes first, then the parts of it: 1-e-and-a. In math the parts come first: 1/4-1/2-3/4-1. Occasionally I've gotten my brain to see it differently and kind of read along with some parts. I haven't bothered reading anything, or had to, since I figured these things out.
I mean I did kind of follow sheet music in high school for bass drum, cymbals and tympani, but never for snare. My first teachers in middle school overestimated my reading abilities and I adapted by using some intense hand-eye coordination to copy what they were doing as they were doing it. They thought I was reading, until they finally told me to play by myself one day.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Silver Member

Another vote for notation.

I've looked at tab and was like "can't tell if that's supposed to be a sextuplet or 32nd notes, but its spaced like a quintuplet?"

You will never have that issues with notation.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Prepare to be dismazed....

That looks worse than guitar tabs. I am dismayed. I can understand and have used hybrid notation systems (think a mix of traditional notation for the bits of the piece that cn be notated that way and specific and keyed out graphic notion for the bits that cant, a particularly useful way to score electro acoustic pieces) because my school placed an emphasis on music since 1945 especially the so-called avante garde but that just looks hopeless. how would you sightread something like that?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Silver Member

You don't sight read that crap, which is precisely why it's useless.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
That Nashville stuff also gives me a headache.
All that system does is tell you chord progressions.

There isn't any rhythm written n that short hand.

The leader says, "Let's play this song in [key]."

Then the melodic instruments follow the chord progression.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM

The difference? I can read one of the two.

I've given tabs a fair try. I have yet to find a situation in which they are useful. The same thing happens every time. I realize that I can figure it out by ear faster than I can decipher the tab. This is especially true for drums, but I find it applies to guitar too. The concept at least makes sense with guitar. It shows where to put your fingers to actually play something that you hear. Even then, I can figure it out almost as fast despite very little training or practice on guitar. If I actually cared about playing that kind of stuff, I'd just take lessons.

To me, tabs feel like taking a shortcut- except it's longer than the path and you get stuck in the mud.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Traditional notation doesn't work for everything.
Absolutely, music from the microtonal works of Stockhausen or Partch all the way to the subtleties of a BB King string bend are extremely difficult to notate using traditional systems. Before turning to the world of IT I was a professional guitar teacher for 10 years and have to admit I really liked tab. I did want all my students to get to grips with standard notation. However learning tab, on the guitar at least, was quick and got them playing much harder pieces than they could have handled if they were reading the music, particularly from a rhythmic perspective. If it meant they played/practiced more I was happy to use it.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

The advantage of traditional notation is that it can be adapted quite well for the guitar. Bends can be notated with specialist symbols - but it's not perfect.

Quite right about Stockhausen. I was specifically thinking of Penderecki when I wrote that post but there are dozens of others that fit that bill.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

I can think of two reasons one might use a tab as opposed to notate.

1) Online. In forums and computers in general, it can take some effort to properly convey a sequence of musical events. We can "fake it" with these lame tabs sometimes, and though it's not really "superior" to notated stuff, it can usually get the point across.

2) Real complicated voicing in drum context. Let's say you're trying to notate "Polynesian nightmare", and you want to be very specific about which of the 17 toms to use for each note. It might be easier to put them on a tab timeline.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Ledger lines (2 on each side) would offer 9 positions with 8 spaces = 17 notes. Then figure a minimum of 4 unique note heads = 68. Then subtract bass, snare, bass drum, hi-hat, ride, crash, cowbell, hi-hat with foot. That gives us around 60 notes to use for toms.