DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:37 AM

Default Drum micing for newbies

Hey guys. I want to mic my drums. Being a fairly new drummer should I spend money on 6 mics or just do the 4 micing idea being that im a newbie. I was looking at getting the Shure PGDMK6-XLR mic package and a TASCAM US-1800 USB 2.0 Audio/Midi Interface. But since I am new to playing the drums I was wondering if im getting way ahead of myself here. Thanx.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Drum micing for newbies

Guess the question is what are you wanting the end result to be? Recording yourself, posting video's to youtube?

You can get by with three mics,bass and two overhead condensers to get started, or even one room mic just to get your feet wet.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. Spend time learning how to play first, otherwise, you'll know how to record some of your worst playing, ever.

I would get a flash audio recorder, or a flash video recorder if you want to see yourself too. I have a Tascam DR-05 for audio recordings, and also a Zoom Q3hd flash video recorder, and both work pretty good and sound good due to the good stereo mics. You can always take those files and dump them to your computer from there too.

Mics and interfaces, that's alot to bite off and chew on while you're learning how to play. I'd concentrate on playing.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

I would start with 2 small diaphragm condenser microphones about 5 feet in front of the kit, spaced apart about 7 feet or so. Try that. If you find that it doesn't sound how you like, move them around. Try moving the kit around to various spots in the room. Try moving the mics around the room--closer to the kit, over the kit, behind the kit, etc. This will teach you about how important the room and room mics are. After you do this for a while, you might decide you need some close mics. Start with the bass drum, and that's all you should need. If you *want* more, look into some SM57s for snare and toms.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 AM

Couple of inexpensive Chinese condensers overhead in the Glyn Johns/Recorderman configuration is a good place to start.

You're not getting ahead of yourself; for a new drummer, recording yourself practicing is a great way to spot areas that need work.

As I've been learning to play, two great humbling moments were the first time I put on the cans and started practicing and playing to a click, and then later when I got the kit mic'd up and recorded a couple of practice routines.

So now I always do my exercises to a click, and every couple of weeks, record a bit just to see how it sounds.

Another thing that happens while recording myself practicing is that I am getting better at mic'ing and recording. Those are also useful skills for the amateur musician.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

If you want to just record yourself to see how your playing sounds (and to reveal what to work on as you practice!) , you can do it even with a single mic.

If you want to record yourself for other reasons (recording a song, posting video etc) then you can do a great job with 3 or 4 mics - some combination of Kick, Snare, and one or two overheads.
To get good results you will need to spend some time to experiment/learn about where to place the mics (small differences in placement can make a big difference in the resulting sound). You will learn as you go along.

There are many methods described on the web for recording with any number of mics (including a single mic). If you search this forum using the text 'mics' or 'microphone' you can get an idea of the methods folks here like to use, and you will find advice on which mics work well. (And many of us get great results using mics that don't cost the earth).

You will also find mention (here on DW and on the wider web) of such gems as 'recording drums with one mic/two mics', 'glyn johns method', 'recorderman method' (my favourite so far) - each of which is a method for where to place the mics. Google these names and read what you find.
Try the methods out. There are more, but these are great places to start. I have got some results I like already, after several hours experimenting with these methods.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 PM

Very cool. Thanx for the advice guys. Being that I am new to playing is exactly why I want to record. So I can hear my progress as time goes on.