DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default I found another crazy deal and am having a hard time fighting the urge to buy...

YAMAHA CONTENT

I am an absolute sucker for good deals and I spend a fair amount of time visiting local music stores and going through their stuff. I almost always know where there's a good deal on gear in the St Louis area. LOL... Sad? Maybe, but it's fun!

So... I know where I can buy a brand new Yamaha Club Custom drumset in the "black wood" finish for cheap. It's 22, 10, 12, 14, 16, which is the perfect setup IMO. Brand spanking new and not a scratch.

Price... $1,695 + tax (but I'd try to get it out the door with cash at that price)

That's quite an incredible price IMO and I'm having a hell of a time fighting the urge to buy it. I have the money, but not necessarily the "need." But I sure do want it! LOL

I currently have a new Live Custom set (oak) in those same sizes. I also recently bought an Oak Custom set on clearance for super cheap (22, 10, 12, 16). I only bought the Oak Custom, because of the ridiculous price.

I'm considering selling the Oak Custom and keeping the Live Custom and Club Custom (if I buy it), both with enough drums to meet any needs I have (22, 10, 12, 14, 16.)

Seems like owning those two kits would cover alot of ground. Live Custom for loud rock stuff and Club Custom for more vintage tones. I'm just not convinced it's a good move. They are both the black wood finish too, which is kind of a bummer. Would rather have the swirl finish on the Club Custom, but hey.

Can you guys please convince me to get this Club Custom kit? Please? ha ha

PS - My lust for gear far surpasses my talent. LOL
Old 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Re: I found another crazy deal and am having a hard time fighting the urge to buy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
PS - My lust for gear far surpasses my talent. LOL
This applies to me as well!

I say that if it is within your means, go for it! You only live once, so you might as well enjoy yourself.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I found another crazy deal and am having a hard time fighting the urge to buy...

The club custom finish that I think you're referring to is the one that looks a lot like black oyster pearl Ringo Ludwig? I almost pulled the trigger on that a year or so ago with stunning matching snare. I think the club customs made in Japan are no more, correct? I'd get em. Throw up a photo to make us all salivate will ya? thanks.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
The club custom finish that I think you're referring to is the one that looks a lot like black oyster pearl Ringo Ludwig? I almost pulled the trigger on that a year or so ago with stunning matching snare. I think the club customs made in Japan are no more, correct? I'd get em. Throw up a photo to make us all salivate will ya? thanks.
That's the finish I'd love to have (similar to black oyster), but this kit is black wood like the pic below.

Attached, is a pic of the black wood finish on my Live Custom set. The oak woodgrain is TOTALLY different than Kapur, so even with the same flat black finish, the texture is not the same.

Let's face it, the finish should probably be the last of my worries. But I would jump quicker if the finish was different for sure.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Anybody else want to help convince me? The set is right down the road and I could probably own it in the next 2 hours. he he

People refer to that Club Custom as having a vintage type of tone in the Gretsch/Ludwig camp, but with modern features. That description is the most intriguing thing for sure. I just hope there's enough of a difference in tone between the Live Custom and Club Custom to justify them both. I know the specs and marketing info says these two kits should be polar opposites, but I wonder if that's really true when it comes down to the tone itself.

Last edited by SgtThump; 02-11-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
....I'm considering selling the Oak Custom and keeping the Live Custom and Club Custom (if I buy it), both with enough drums to meet any needs I have (22, 10, 12, 14, 16.)....

Quote:
Anybody else want to help convince me? The set is right down the road and I could probably own it in the next 2 hours. he he....

Having the Live Oaks and Club Customs makes more sense to me than having two Oak kits.
Pics expected in two hours - LOL

On the other hand, you're good with what you've got.
GAS for a great deal is hard to resist.
And you seem to run into a lot of great deals in your area.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Having the Live Oaks and Club Customs makes more sense to me than having two Oak kits.
Pics expected in two hours - LOL

On the other hand, you're good with what you've got.
GAS for a great deal is hard to resist.
And you seem to run into a lot of great deals in your area.
You caught me. :) Extra points to firesgt911 for saying "you only live once." That gets me everytime. ha ha

I agree that having the Oak and Kapur kit makes the most sense. I will very likely clean up the Oak Custom set I practically stole (inside joke for those that remember the thread) and put them up for sale very soon.

Oh, and it was $1,699 out the door. I'm a regular there (as you can tell!)

14" and 16" floor toms in the back seat.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 07:27 PM

Very nice looking set!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesgt911 View Post
Very nice looking set!
Thank you! I saw these a week ago and haven't stopped thinking about them since. I'm weak and couldn't resist. :)

The girlfriend is out of the house tonight for a good while, so I will get some VERY quality time with them in a few hours!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Wow - that was quick. You don't mess around.

But hey, you know what - "you only live once". LOL
Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Great score Sarge. I'm eagerly waiting for the video of these babies. I am intrigued by the Club Customs as I love Yamaha and vintage drums. Apparently these are supposed to be a modern take on vintage drums, I'm curious to see how close they are to getting that vintage vibe.

When you get a moment to take the heads off I'd love to see a shot of the inside and the edges. Good job negotiatin' too and congrats again on the purchase.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 AM

Nice one... Now go hunt for that matching snare!!

Dutch
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Nice score! The Club Custom line was THE one Yamaha line that really had me interested, so I don't blame you a bit for going ahead and getting them.

Enjoy! Looking forward to the review/video...
Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Great looking kit!!! Congrats ;-)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys! Tuned them up and played around this evening, but for a short time. They are definitely different tonally than what I have now, so that's great! I'm not a vintage drum expert in the least bit, but these do have a warm "vintage" type of tone and I understand why they're described that way.

They are thinner and alot lighter than the Live Custom and have less sustain at the moment, but I'm still in tuning mode.

I may shoot for a video tomorrow, but I wanna get them dialed in first. I'll report back!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Gold Member

Great score Sgt Thump. I have a Yamaha Club Custom in Black swirl lacquer and it has become my main gigging kit. These are IMHO the best sounding drum sets Yamaha/Sakae ever made, much better than either of the Recording Custom kits I have owned. They are very consistent. The bass drums are killer and the snare drums are probably my favourite wood shell snare drum that I have ever owned.

There is a youtube video where they compare the Club Customs with a Gretach USA Custom and they are sonically very close. I own a 2013 Gretwch USA Custom and the Club Customs are close sonically to the USA Custom. Ut a tad more resonant and fatter sounding.

I put Evans G12 ( formerly G plus) white coated batters on the toms, Evans reverse dot Power center on the snare nd kept the stock PS3 front and back on the bass drum with felt strips on batter and resonant side heads.

I have used this kit with Classic Rock, New Country, Big Band and Jazz trio groups and it works with them all. Just great sounding drums with a really wide tuning range.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah I think the black swirl lacquer is probably the nicest Yamaha kit I've ever seen.

Somehow I knew you were buying those club customs no matter what the opinion here was.

Congrats.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
...Somehow I knew you were buying those club customs no matter what the opinion here was...
Ha ha, pretty much. :)

here's quick teaser pic, while I mess with these for a bit. I'll post a review and video at some point in the near future.

One thing I've noticed right away is that these drums make me appreciate the volume and power of the Live Custom kit a little more. That is NOT saying anything bad about the Club Custom, though. Just that the Live Custom really is powerful and loud! It's not just marketing hype.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2014, 05:28 AM

Bravo! I was going to have to snag them up if you didn't! Kidding of course but what a nice kit!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

I was going to say that I wish I'd see deals around here like that once in a while.
But it's probably a good thing that I don't - LOL
Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

There's not really much more to discuss in this thread, but for those searching in the future that may be interested in the outcome, go here.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...01#post1230701

I just posted a video comparing the Live Custom and Club Custom sets the way I have them setup right now.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Damnit , too late to this thread and I could have helped, being a guy who used to have Oak Customs and currently owns both Live Customs and Club Customs...my Club Customs are the same sizes as yours, in black swirl.

I would have suggested you do exactly what you did. Yes, the Club Customs really are tonally different than the Oaks or the Maples. Great choice. Now sell those Oaks!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to find a small maple or birch kit...you know , 18/12/14 or 20/12/14 kinda thing - just for something different.

Betcha can't do for less than $600....:)

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 02-14-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Damnit , too late to this thread and I could have helped, being a guy who used to have Oak Customs and currently owns both Live Customs and Club Customs...my Club Customs are the same sizes as yours, in black swirl.

I would have suggested you do exactly what you did. Yes, the Club Customs really are tonally different than the Oaks or the Maples. Great choice. Now sell those Oaks!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to find a small maple or birch kit...you know , 18/12/14 or 20/12/14 kinda thing - just for something different.

Neal
I think the Yamaha SC bop in 18/12/14 (see my avatar) is under $500 in the US... And it comes reommended!

Dutch
Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Neal
There you are! I was waiting for you to chime in along with the other fans of Yamaha drums! lol

Yeah man, I thought about this Club Custom set for at least a week. Made a trip or two there (it's right down the road from work) to look at them and just tried and tried to fight the urge. I caved and I gotta say I'm very glad I did!

I have a coated PS3 batter head sitting here that I may try on the set today. Just to add more to that vintage-style flare.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Good to hear you're diggin' them.

If the PS3 coated head is brand new, I would caution you before putting it on if you haven't tried one before. I find they take away a lot of sound, I much much much prefer the clear PS3. But if you like the coated PS3 thing, by all means....if you're not sure, go try and find one and play it....and then exchange the unplayed coated PS3 if you prefer the clear as well. Just sayin....bass drum head ain't cheap.

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good to hear you're diggin' them.

If the PS3 coated head is brand new, I would caution you before putting it on if you haven't tried one before. I find they take away a lot of sound, I much much much prefer the clear PS3. But if you like the coated PS3 thing, by all means....if you're not sure, go try and find one and play it....and then exchange the unplayed coated PS3 if you prefer the clear as well. Just sayin....bass drum head ain't cheap.

Neal
It's funny you say that, because I've tried this coated PS3 on several sets and never liked it enough to keep it on. I'll probably try it on this set too, but my findings match yours with this head.

Same thing with an SK1 I have here. Had a Fibes maple kit where the SK1 sounded awesome. Bought another one to try on various kits and it just doesn't work for me on those. Weird.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

shit yeah!!

I have absolute birch set. I got a Mapex ProM natural maple used that was like new and great for cheap money. Then came along the same deal Custom Oak set you got. Was a no brainer. Sold the Mapex and got the custom oak.

Should have kept the Mapex since I am using the oak kit as an electronic kit. If it works out, then a cheapy set will be the electronic set, and I'll have my Oak setup back to acoustic.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's funny you say that, because I've tried this coated PS3 on several sets and never liked it enough to keep it on. I'll probably try it on this set too, but my findings match yours with this head.

Same thing with an SK1 I have here. Had a Fibes maple kit where the SK1 sounded awesome. Bought another one to try on various kits and it just doesn't work for me on those. Weird.
I agree- the SK 1 can work on certain drums but I'm slowly changing over to clear PS3 , regardless of the size. It works really well as a batter on every drum I've tried. I can then alter reso heads, ports/ felt strips, small pillow, small piece of foam etc as required. On bigger drums, I am a fan of both the Fiberskyn with a small port and also the Aquarian Modern Vintage -oh yeah and the Yamaha Powerstroke 3 or 4 (can't remember) smooth white reso head too. Experiment!
I always get the drum to project more with a higher pitched reso...

Neal

[14 CREW]
Old 02-15-2014, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree- the SK 1 can work on certain drums but I'm slowly changing over to clear PS3 , regardless of the size. It works really well as a batter on every drum I've tried. I can then alter reso heads, ports/ felt strips, small pillow, small piece of foam etc as required. On bigger drums, I am a fan of both the Fiberskyn with a small port and also the Aquarian Modern Vintage -oh yeah and the Yamaha Powerstroke 3 or 4 (can't remember) smooth white reso head too. Experiment!
I always get the drum to project more with a higher pitched reso...

Neal
I struggle more with the bass drum than anything else. Drives me insane sometimes. I used to be that way with snares too, but I'm figuring those out (thank God)
Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 AM

Oh man. I am seriously lusting after a club custom in those sizes. Awesome score.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM

If I was into Yamaha, this would be a kit I'd have...I've heard them A/B'd next to a USA Gretsch and it's hard to tell the difference tone wise, which is awesome! Congrats!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Love the new score..Ive been looking at these lately too .Absolutely love that finish in the back of your car with the sun on them,they look amazing. Yamaha's Rock man.......
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Fellow die-hard Yammy guy here! And boy, those tubs look SICK. Congrats, man.

And StL represent!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch-o-rama View Post
If I was into Yamaha, this would be a kit I'd have...I've heard them A/B'd next to a USA Gretsch and it's hard to tell the difference tone wise, which is awesome! Congrats!
I know there's a video on YouTube comparing them. Did you hear them in person side-by-side too? I'm curious!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

And thanks everyone! I'm digging the heck out of the Club Customs! What a killer tone.

I don't have experience with real vintage Gretsch kits, so I can't compare their tone. I do get the "vintage tone" on this kit, though. That's for sure.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Great score Sarge. I'm eagerly waiting for the video of these babies. I am intrigued by the Club Customs as I love Yamaha and vintage drums. Apparently these are supposed to be a modern take on vintage drums, I'm curious to see how close they are to getting that vintage vibe.

When you get a moment to take the heads off I'd love to see a shot of the inside and the edges. Good job negotiatin' too and congrats again on the purchase.
Hey man, sorry it took a bit. These pics may not really help you out either, but it's all I have right now. (at least I remembered!)
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Sarge. Looks like a fully rounded edge, from what I've been told by a certain English drum builder, that is the best edge for a short, vintage tone. Is it the camera or do those plies look really porous?

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Thanks Sarge. Looks like a fully rounded edge, from what I've been told by a certain English drum builder, that is the best edge for a short, vintage tone. Is it the camera or do those plies look really porous?
This kit has a totally different shell wood and bearing edges from my other Yamaha kit, but it's hard to say how much of all of that contributes to the tonal difference. All of it, I guess.

This definitely sounds more "vintage" than my other kit, that's for sure. Very nice contrast of tones!

The wood does seem really porous. It's super smooth when you run your hand over the bearing edges, but yeah.