DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Attractive female drummers

Isn't it the same in golf? In Tennis? In other sports? Big deals are made about the lookers. The women have to produce twice as much to get recognized for what they do. Just because a female has a great figure is no reason for cameras to follow them down a ski slope, especially with all the garb on. But ... they do, even if they are not contenders. Though now it may be less than some years ago. PC and all that. Chauvinism, etc. And women with looks have pulled off the highest awards. Still, the girl with the figure will always gain more attention than the hefty female shot putter who wins several medals and events all the time.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I thought all female drummers were attractive?
It happens every time there's a thread with a mildly controversial topic. The debate starts to really build up, tensions rise, and then GD comes in out of left-field with a dry one-liner, a la Buddy Rich. I swear, he does it every time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by picodon View Post
Most definitely.

Miss France 2013 was a drummer. I was in love with her right from the start of the show.
I am going to google that righ away. On Google Images of course! France is a small country of only 65 million people, I could be in with a chance here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand1969 View Post
The world could use more female drummers. It would make the forum more interesting!!
What?! You want to get more girls into the forum? Great, just great, now I'm gonna have to move over to the freemasons forum or whatever just to get a little respite from the fairer sex...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Mike, may I recommend any forum that deals with wargaming, beards or any combination herein?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Mike, may I recommend any forum that deals with wargaming, beards or any combination herein?
Add power metal to that list. Although having said that there's lots of female power metal fans. Forget I said anything.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 PM

Well I have the word "chica" in my username so I am THE authority to post on this subject!! (sarcasm alert!)

I think everyone pretty much said this already, but I don't know if a Youtube video with millions of views necessarily means a person is successful, or that it represents all they can do. In no way do I speak for other lady drummers, but I think some of them have to overcome the perception that no matter how good they might be, they only achieved success because of their looks or the impression that they're coasting. But until we meet that person personally, we don't know what kind of work they've gone through to get where they are. And to be honest...I had never even heard of Emannuelle Caplette or Meytal Cohen until I came to this forum...so not sure what that means. Glad I know of them now!

Have to agree with Magenta though, it is somewhat of a 'man's world' out there for the majority of women. Even in the open-minded area where I live, after I'm done playing most people who come up to me just compliment my playing...but. There's always that one person who says something along the lines of "Wow you sure don't drum like a girl!" and I never know how to respond. Usually I simply smile and say 'thanks, I play like a woman! " or something stupid like that, but what does that mean? I'm a girl, I play like one - which is to say, I play like a drummer. There's no playing like a girl or playing like a guy in my mind. I don't see any instrument as being masculine or feminine - to that end, I feel bad for the rare male flute-player or any man who plays a traditionally 'feminine' instrument who probably has to deal with sexism also. It's BS, and people need to just calm down and enjoy the music!

I think people in BOTH genders have, I'm sure, been given the benefit of the doubt at times for looks, but when it comes to drumming, your looks won't get you that far beyond maybe a short-term popularity boost, then the next one-hit-wonder comes along and you're forgotten. Unfortunately our society places wayyy too much emphasis on looks over substance and that is harmful on both genders. I just want to see more people, men and women, playing the drums - it's the best instrument(s) in the world!!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicdrumchica View Post
Unfortunately our society places wayyy too much emphasis on looks over substance and that is harmful on both genders.
What you said in the quote is true,,,and it may be unfortunate, but that's what it is so we just have to deal with it, or not.

I will choose my words very carefully here, but to say it is a man's world, while not upsetting to me, may be not as true as some would like to believe.

I say it's an achiever's world. My sister has never been held back and is a high achiever in her professional field due to hard work. My mother is a high achiever due to hard work, Of course those are only a few examples...but saying it is a man's world is simply not accurate. It's an achiever's world.

We forget that everyone has a choice to select who they want in their business, on their team, in their band and it may not coincide with what some think is right or fair, but the world was never said to be fair.

If I have a football team and I need a LT and I want a 350lb man that bench presses 500lb for that position, does that mean it's a man's world? Some would have you think as such.

If I lead a band and I want a male drummer that puts holes in heads and breaks oak sticks every gig, does that mean it's a man's world? Some would have you think it does.

If I have a doubles tennis team and I choose Serena Williams as my partner, which I would, what does that mean?

It's an achiever's world; if the stereotypes bog one down, then that is the individuals problem.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 PM

I'm with Hal Blaine on this. Women look odd playing drums. Don't know why but they just do. Sorry if I've offended anyone.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMadlyBackwards View Post
What you said in the quote is true,,,and it may be unfortunate, but that's what it is so we just have to deal with it, or not.

I will choose my words very carefully here, but to say it is a man's world, while not upsetting to me, may be not as true as some would like to believe.

I say it's an achiever's world. My sister has never been held back and is a high achiever in her professional field due to hard work. My mother is a high achiever due to hard work, Of course those are only a few examples...but saying it is a man's world is simply not accurate. It's an achiever's world.

We forget that everyone has a choice to select who they want in their business, on their team, in their band and it may not coincide with what some think is right or fair, but the world was never said to be fair.

If I have a football team and I need a LT and I want a 350lb man that bench presses 500lb for that position, does that mean it's a man's world? Some would have you think as such.

If I lead a band and I want a male drummer that puts holes in heads and breaks oak sticks every gig, does that mean it's a man's world? Some would have you think it does.

If I have a doubles tennis team and I choose Serena Williams as my partner, which I would, what does that mean?

It's an achiever's world; if the stereotypes bog one down, then that is the individuals problem.
Fair points, and I think in my post I try to acknowledge that hard work is your best chance for success in this world. I hope I'm not coming across as feeling like a victim - I don't feel unfairly looked down-upon, and I'm not. But unfortunately, we are not yet at a point that sexism (and racism, and other prejudices) is completely eradicated. As for your example of the 350 lb lineman, I don't think that's so much "Sexism" as, physical attributes that are necessary for that particular position.

But playing the drums is pretty different than football. As I'm sure has been covered here before, it doesn't rely on physical strength as football does - it's about good technique, endurance, coordination, mental focus and concentration, muscle memory, etc. And those things come by lots of practice and focus, and confidence, but gender doesn't factor into that.

I don't think anyone here has said that the world is so unfairly stacked against women that none of us can achieve success playing music. Men have to deal with unfairness too! The world ain't fair, and we all have to be strong enough to deal with that. Still, I think we should continue to strive to make the world a better place, and not just always settle for "well that's always how it's gonna be, no point in fighting" (I know you're not saying that, just making that point separately.)

I guess the main point I was trying to say before is, I don't know if Youtube popularity is the main indicator of "making it" in the music world. Depends on what you're looking for, who your audience is, what type of music you play, and many other factors. Sadly there are many people in music who are "famous" for an image, or something other than raw talent and skill. And you can let that bother you, or just keep plugging away. In my case I play music because I love it - I always want to get better, and I hope I never get complacent in my development as a drummer. For me and many other musicians, fame doesn't really factor into what we value. Music is really what you put into it, in my opinion. Sexism may make things a bit more difficult, but nothing that can't be overcome. I will say that other women may be running into far more obstacles than I am, which is why I try to remember that just because something might have been easy for me, doesn't mean it isn't harder for someone else in a different situation.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockApe View Post
I'm with Hal Blaine on this. Women look odd playing drums. Don't know why but they just do. Sorry if I've offended anyone.
I actually feel the same about women bass players. Even Tal Wilkenfeld always looks a little strange holding that bass. But, I would sure listen to or watch her play anytime.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

She does Squonk (and quite well I might add)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ErK5SrJals
Old 01-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
The line about man or mouse was pretty good :)
That was referring to me ;)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I bet you get a little chuckle whenever the jazz drummers around here are talking about the concept of "big ears", too.
Can you imagine how much better my hearing would be if those ears actually worked?
I'd hear clear across the park!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Can you imagine how much better my hearing would be if those ears actually worked?
Wait....I'm imagining it....(smiles and nods head in approval).....Oh yes....
Old 01-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

ah, shucks....I thought there would be a zillion photos!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockApe View Post
Quote:
I actually feel the same about women bass players. Even Tal Wilkenfeld always looks a little strange holding that bass. But, I would sure listen to or watch her play anytime.
Men look weird playing the harp.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311Spider View Post
They say it's a man's world, but if you're an attractive female drummer it's definitely a woman's world.

I've been watching some videos of Emmanuelle Caplette lately. There's no question, she's a good drummer, an excellent drummer. And she's wildly popular on youtube, facebook, and in the drumming community in general. At the same time there are male drummers out there that play just as good, if not better than her, but no where near as well known and successful as her. Is she a go getter? I'm sure she is, and she deserves the success she's getting.

My point is that I find it interesting how attractive female drummers seem to have a huge advantage, especially in the drumming arena. Yeah, I know, this is nothing new, and sure, I'm jealous, but here's a statement and a question. I've gone to youtube and found some hot chick drummers with videos of them drumming to songs - and most of them are pretty bad drummers, yet they get millions of views. Would any of these girl drummers get many views if they weren't hot? And would Emmanuelle Caplette be as successful as she is if she weren't hot? I think the answer to my first question is an easy no, the second question is debatable.
Right, because if not for the women, music would be a strict meritocracy.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
A highschool classmate played the harp. He joined the marines after graduating.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:21 AM

How is it possible that not a single picture of an attractive female drummer has been posted in this thread yet? What the heck is wrong with you people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liAROlu1WFI
Old 01-17-2014, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

http://www.rockstarinquiry.com/city/minneapolis/

This website comes mind as well.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Me too. She plays cleanly and fluidly. She displays a level of playing that seems quite attainable for most half-way decent drummers - so she's more inspirational than a Pridgen or any other 32nd note chop master.
You should listen to Benny Greb.

That grove...
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBob View Post

That grove...
Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Emmanuelle is a very competent, efficient, drummer. That's all that matters. IMO, she's a much better drummer than Meytal Cohen. I think all female drummer's are attractive.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not in Wales, they don't!

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Looking all over for a youtube I saw a few years ago with Robben Ford at a festive in Japan playing Loving Cup with David Mathews (the keyboard player) at 200 mph, and Hilary Jones is right in there driving the freight train. The first I heard of her was a Garth Webber CD with some burning fast swing thing that drove like mad. The only cut she was on. Miles alum Garth used her on that track because of how she played. It wasn't until years later I saw her and realized that she is also very attractive. But the thing that sticks with me (aside from meeting her and finding out how nice and unaffected she is) was a Robben show where they played Help the Poor as a long jam and she took it down to a whisper without loosing an ounce of drive. Of course that gave some clods in the audience a chance to yell out stupid things. But the musicians in the audience knew that what they were hearing was something few drummers could do, regardless of gender.

Hil, Teri Lynn, Silvia Cuenca, all earned A list gigs long before YouTube and visual popularity contests.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMadlyBackwards View Post
What If I have a doubles tennis team and I choose Serena Williams as my partner, which I would, what does that mean?
It's a man's world? :P

Bad humour aside, if I want to watch hotness I'll just go to my wife. I've listened to female drummers with pure objectivity and only a few of them that Ive listened to really cut it.

Mercedes (I think thats her name) from Kittie is a good metal drummer. More basic perhaps but worked so well for Kittie.
Meytal Cohen just sounds very wooden and looks it in her videos. Yes she has a lovely smile but she seems very stiff in her playing. I like that she pushes the boundaries of her technical ability by trying to do YYZ and Tom Sawyer by Rush. But if a bloke did that they would get blasted away as being rubbish or arrogant for thinking they are good, even if they put a disclaimer "looking for feedback on my playing" etc.
Hannah Ford is a very good drummer.
Sheila E, lets not forget her she is brilliant, very elegant lady as well!

There will always be a higher men-women ratio just because women are probably so scared to enter this so called 'mans world' in the first place. If the same amount of women played football/soccer as men you would find the female equivalent to Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. But sadly not enough play because they are typed as lesbians. Its wrong really when you think about it.

I know I joked about Serena Williams earlier, but her and Venus have had successful careers despite being muscular. They arent my type looks wise at all but they are brilliant. I'd watch their masterclasses over watching Anna Kournikova any day of the week.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Fixed for ya. You need to go to the link where there is just the image only then copy URL link.

Cool pic, have that mysterious feel in it.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I actually feel the same about women bass players. Even Tal Wilkenfeld always looks a little strange holding that bass.
Ohhh, got to disagree there. Here's my favourite bass player (irrespective of gender), & looks just like she belongs with that bass to me :)
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

I really like Carlos Santana's wife...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpzNepg1fw
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Ohhh, got to disagree there. Here's my favourite bass player (irrespective of gender), & looks just like she belongs with that bass to me :)
She does look pretty good with it. She also looks like she's pretty tall with long arms which helps. I think a lot of it is the fact that many women are short and petite, like Tal which always makes the instrument look a little more overwhelming to me.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
She does look pretty good with it. She also looks like she's pretty tall with long arms which helps. I think a lot of it is the fact that many women are short and petite, like Tal which always makes the instrument look a little more overwhelming to me.
Can I just say that Yolanda and I could be twins, the resemblance between us is so uncanny. At the LDS people kept mistaking me for her. It was very embarrassing, because of course I don't play bass.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, Yolanda is very tall (I'm guessing 6ft). I get what you're saying about stature, but that's a non gender thing, just ask Bo ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Can I just say that Yolanda and I could be twins, the resemblance between us is so uncanny. At the LDS people kept mistaking me for her. It was very embarrassing, because of course I don't play bass.
Wow, yes, now you come to mention it. No idea how I missed that ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I really like Carlos Santana's wife...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpzNepg1fw
Immense groove. Love the way she digs into those hat accents. Great bass drum authority too. Wonderful!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not in Wales, they don't!
Well, I really meant concert harp rather than clarsach or lap harp, but I maintain that it is true regardless! You do see a decent number of male orchestral harpists, but few soloists. My sister is doing a master's degree in the harp at the Royal Academy of Music at the moment, and I think there's only one male student studying harp there currently. All the tutors are female.

Some instruments seem to be more gender-specific than others. String players seem to have a much more equal distribution of male and female, although there might be more male bassists. Brass players are quite often male, but not always. Woodwinds can be either. Percussionists seem to be more on the male side. Pianists can be either.
There must be a reason for this beyond simple prejudice, I think.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well, I really meant concert harp rather than clarsach or lap harp, but I maintain that it is true regardless! You do see a decent number of male orchestral harpists, but few soloists. My sister is doing a master's degree in the harp at the Royal Academy of Music at the moment, and I think there's only one male student studying harp there currently. All the tutors are female.

Some instruments seem to be more gender-specific than others. String players seem to have a much more equal distribution of male and female, although there might be more male bassists. Brass players are quite often male, but not always. Woodwinds can be either. Percussionists seem to be more on the male side. Pianists can be either.
It is very cultural too. In China lutes and banjo like things are instruments for females, except for military songs.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That Mary O'Hara has a lot to answer for, doesn't she!

I've always wanted to play the harp - any sort of harp - and not only for the endless Frock possibilities. I can't say that I've looked exhaustively, but teachers seem pretty hard to come by.

Quote:
The same can be said for various sports. Plenty of women are interested in football (soccer), but they're outnumbered by men. I would imagine that there's a fairly even split in athletics, hockey and gymnastics. There are many more women than men who pursue equestrian activities, yet it's only been in very recent years that this has started to be reflected in the demographic of the top professionals in dressage, show jumping and eventing, and women are still barely represented in racing, at least in the higher echelons.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That Mary O'Hara has a lot to answer for, doesn't she!

I've always wanted to play the harp - any sort of harp - and not only for the endless Frock possibilities. I can't say that I've looked exhaustively, but teachers seem pretty hard to come by.

The same can be said for various sports. Plenty of women are interested in football (soccer), but they're outnumbered by men. I would imagine that there's a fairly even split in athletics, hockey and gymnastics. There are many more women than men who pursue equestrian activities, yet it's only been in very recent years that this has started to be reflected in the demographic of the top professionals in dressage, show jumping and eventing, and women are still barely represented in racing, at least in the higher echelons.
Again, that is just the Google Sphere. In China women's sports are very popular, and for the most part they don't have "Gladiator Sports".
Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

I agree with some that have said I don't see Emmanuelle as especially attractive or sexual. She is a good drummer and puts forth a very easy going style. Females in this business are going to be subjected to sexual undertones regardless of what they do because of the novelty. The whole youtube popularity thing is fine if that is what you are going for. But like Bermuda I do not see that as the best measure of success. Let those that like being out there and getting likes on youtube have their fun, male or female.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 PM

It's interesting that sucessful male and female drummers are portrayed and 'marketed' differently...

Pictures of female drummers tend to show a 'nice girl' smiling back at you who appears approachable.

http://www.sonor.com/artists/emmanuelle-caplette/

Pictures of male drummers tend to show a 'bad ass dude' totally absorbed in the moment of drumming...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-20130218
Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrench501 View Post
It's a man's world? :P

Bad humour aside, if I want to watch hotness I'll just go to my wife. I've listened to female drummers with pure objectivity and only a few of them that Ive listened to really cut it.

Mercedes (I think thats her name) from Kittie is a good metal drummer. More basic perhaps but worked so well for Kittie.
Meytal Cohen just sounds very wooden and looks it in her videos. Yes she has a lovely smile but she seems very stiff in her playing. I like that she pushes the boundaries of her technical ability by trying to do YYZ and Tom Sawyer by Rush. But if a bloke did that they would get blasted away as being rubbish or arrogant for thinking they are good, even if they put a disclaimer "looking for feedback on my playing" etc.
Hannah Ford is a very good drummer.
Sheila E, lets not forget her she is brilliant, very elegant lady as well!

There will always be a higher men-women ratio just because women are probably so scared to enter this so called 'mans world' in the first place. If the same amount of women played football/soccer as men you would find the female equivalent to Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. But sadly not enough play because they are typed as lesbians. Its wrong really when you think about it.

I know I joked about Serena Williams earlier, but her and Venus have had successful careers despite being muscular. They arent my type looks wise at all but they are brilliant. I'd watch their masterclasses over watching Anna Kournikova any day of the week.
Sport isn't a good comparison really. You could have a billion female football players on the planet and you wouldn't find any that are anywhere near Messi or Ronaldo's standard. A good U16s boys team or lower league side would beat a world cup winning female side.

Ditto, the Williams sisters. Great within their own gender but would be well beaten by a top 100 male player, let alone Federer or Nadal.

Music is a completely different story however as womens physical inferiority doesn't come into play and it comes down to hard work and talent. So me of the drummers you've mentioned above (not aware of Kitty) are all really good and as good as many males. Then you have Terri Lynne Carrington who is an elite level player, fantastic drummer.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

I have a friend who was a classical cellist for years and teaches music. She recently took up playing bass in blues and rock bands. Maybe 5'2 on a good day and the bass is proportionally big on her but years of musicianship make her comfortable with it. It doesn't look that odd, and you certainly don't notice when she's playing because her groove is so good. She's still learning the vocabulary but knowing music she's way ahead of the curve.

There is an interview with Anthony Jackson where he talks about the first session he did with Gadd. He talked about how some people just fit with an instrument in a way that even before they start you know they can play. I can't say how many drummers I've seen at jams who when they sit down at the kit and tap a few drums you know you're in for a rough ride. There's an awkwardness with the instrument. Whereas with someone like Terri Lynn Carrington looks like she's in command before she even starts. Ruth Davies is physically tiny, but melds with a standup bass like she was born with it.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was on this site one day when her videos first appeared on here, and I thought, "hey, a hot chick drummer, I've got to check this out."
Great thought process, there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicdrumchica View Post
Fair points, and I think in my post I try to acknowledge that hard work is your best chance for success in this world. I hope I'm not coming across as feeling like a victim - I don't feel unfairly looked down-upon, and I'm not. But unfortunately, we are not yet at a point that sexism (and racism, and other prejudices) is completely eradicated. As for your example of the 350 lb lineman, I don't think that's so much "Sexism" as, physical attributes that are necessary for that particular position.

But playing the drums is pretty different than football. As I'm sure has been covered here before, it doesn't rely on physical strength as football does - it's about good technique, endurance, coordination, mental focus and concentration, muscle memory, etc. And those things come by lots of practice and focus, and confidence, but gender doesn't factor into that.

I don't think anyone here has said that the world is so unfairly stacked against women that none of us can achieve success playing music. Men have to deal with unfairness too! The world ain't fair, and we all have to be strong enough to deal with that. Still, I think we should continue to strive to make the world a better place, and not just always settle for "well that's always how it's gonna be, no point in fighting" (I know you're not saying that, just making that point separately.)

I guess the main point I was trying to say before is, I don't know if Youtube popularity is the main indicator of "making it" in the music world. Depends on what you're looking for, who your audience is, what type of music you play, and many other factors. Sadly there are many people in music who are "famous" for an image, or something other than raw talent and skill. And you can let that bother you, or just keep plugging away. In my case I play music because I love it - I always want to get better, and I hope I never get complacent in my development as a drummer. For me and many other musicians, fame doesn't really factor into what we value. Music is really what you put into it, in my opinion. Sexism may make things a bit more difficult, but nothing that can't be overcome. I will say that other women may be running into far more obstacles than I am, which is why I try to remember that just because something might have been easy for me, doesn't mean it isn't harder for someone else in a different situation.
I've never seen you post on this forum before, but I adore your posts in this thread. The fact is, when someone becomes a "drummer girl" in one's mind instead of simply a "drummer", they become a novelty. Nobody refers to a man drumming as a "drummer boy" (unless it's Christmas). Of course, this is partially because the gender discrepancy, but that is also at least partially caused by the social perception of drums as a 'masculine' instrument that subtly nudges women away from percussion. I absolutely would support a woman over a man in the drumming field, though, simply because I believe that the best way to get more women into drumming is by inspiring them- just as it is with any group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitForItDrummer View Post
It's interesting that sucessful male and female drummers are portrayed and 'marketed' differently...

Pictures of female drummers tend to show a 'nice girl' smiling back at you who appears approachable.

http://www.sonor.com/artists/emmanuelle-caplette/

Pictures of male drummers tend to show a 'bad ass dude' totally absorbed in the moment of drumming...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-tour-20130218
This is a simple case of social stereotypes of masculinity and femininity- men strong and unemotional, women warm and friendly (an absolute wreck of stereotypes, if i might add). There's also some element of simple advertising- Barker, primarily a rock drummer, is probably going to want to appeal to his demographic of younger men with 'gritty' and 'cool' photos.