DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Default Attractive female drummers

They say it's a man's world, but if you're an attractive female drummer it's definitely a woman's world.

I've been watching some videos of Emmanuelle Caplette lately. There's no question, she's a good drummer, an excellent drummer. And she's wildly popular on youtube, facebook, and in the drumming community in general. At the same time there are male drummers out there that play just as good, if not better than her, but no where near as well known and successful as her. Is she a go getter? I'm sure she is, and she deserves the success she's getting.

My point is that I find it interesting how attractive female drummers seem to have a huge advantage, especially in the drumming arena. Yeah, I know, this is nothing new, and sure, I'm jealous, but here's a statement and a question. I've gone to youtube and found some hot chick drummers with videos of them drumming to songs - and most of them are pretty bad drummers, yet they get millions of views. Would any of these girl drummers get many views if they weren't hot? And would Emmanuelle Caplette be as successful as she is if she weren't hot? I think the answer to my first question is an easy no, the second question is debatable.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Attractive female drummers

There are surgeries these days, you're not totally stuck with the gender you were given.

You too could be a female drumming attention whore in a few easy steps.

But really, what's your point here? Should they not be drumming because they are attractive? Do you really think Caplette is the type of gal who goes around skating by on her looks, or do you think it's possible she practices more than you do all year in a single day? I happen to think that trying to build some kind of following by covering other people's songs on youtube is kind of pathetic regardless gender, but not everyone agrees, I suppose.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

You have to first define success. Is it YouTube views? Is it the attention they get in forums? Is it getting a high-profile gig? Is it making a career of playing music?

It could be any one or combination of those, and it depends also on our perception of success vs. that drummer's concept of success.

In the realm of YouTube, it's definitely more fun to watch an attractive or animated person playing, and that's not restricted to gender. If Emmanuelle and a male drummer played exactly the same solo, and were equally animated, I would have to say she'd get more views. Part of that is that female drummers are a severe minority and there's a curiosity factor, and the other part is as an attractive gal, she attracts both male and female drummers.

While I notice whether someone looks good or not, it really boils down to whether they can play. If they can't, I'm really unimpressed with any cheesecake or sexual aspect to a femal drummer. It's sad that they feel they can exploit their looks without the talent to go with that. I guess it's even sadder that some really think they can play, and all the young men wag their tongues in agreement.

I think the real test is whether these drummers can pass the auditions necessary to be a working drummer, and not just a pin-up on the internet.

Bermuda
Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Oh dear, this must be "post a contentious thread day" ;)

I think we all know the answer re: good looking girls on Youtube with no talent, & that's not just limited to the drumming world. Emmanuelle, well, it's the package. Like everything in "show" business is the package. It would be just as relevant to point out her infectious upbeat character.

I've just finished reading an article to be published in this Month's Drummer magazine. It's an interview with a superb drummer whom I have quite an association with. She just happens to be female. Michele goes into some detail re: her feelings about gender attitudes in the business, & yes, especially in drumming. She sights "the before look" & "the after look". Frankly, prejudice in any form really pisses me off. In general, female drummers have a really shitty time of it both inside & outside the business, & so do many female musicians playing other instruments.

I know a number of incredibly talented & able female artists who can groove just about anyone into the ground. Even the (subjective) good looking ones have a very big hill to climb, in fact, if they're so called "hot", they have an even worse time being accepted for what they have to offer musically.

Just from my personal contacts, if I put Michele Drees & Yolanda Charles out there as a rhythm section, trust me, there's few globally that could compete, but for them to get those coveted gigs, somehow, & quite wrongly, they have to be "better". Great looking girls both of them too.

Frankly, if the occasional good looking female drummer gets a popularity break, then good luck to them. Worth remembering, that Youtube is hardly a measure of the work these drummers are getting in the real world.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

That must be easy for you to say, KIS. I mean, you pretty much get by on your looks, too. Certainly no drumming chops to speak of, so if it ain't your mug, I can't imagine what the fans are coming back for. It must be tough being the sex symbol for the band.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

And what about those hot-looking short Hawaiian guys who get gigs that can't even reveal who they are?

What of them? The world is askew ;)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
And what about those hot-looking short Hawaiian guys who get gigs that can't even reveal who they are?

Maybe if you were more man than mouse, you could actually come out and reveal yourself.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

You should be the resident expert on this topic giving your avatars.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

First of all, let me assure you as somebody with first-hand knowledge that it's still a man's world, end of. There is almost always a glass ceiling for women.

Secondly, it can be very difficult for good-looking people to be taken seriously, because it is often assumed that they are all froth and no substance. Women often have to be twice as good as men if they want to achieve parity.

Thirdly, I would venture to suggest that the number of views on You Tube is not necessarily an accurate measurement of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
That must be easy for you to say, KIS. I mean, you pretty much get by on your looks, too. Certainly no drumming chops to speak of, so if it ain't your mug, I can't imagine what the fans are coming back for. It must be tough being the sex symbol for the band.
He sizzles my hi hat every single time.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 PM

...sigh

For the love of pete...this politically correct world drives me crazy. I enjoy watching an attractive gal play the drums or any instrument, whether they are good or not, if I'm being honest; for obvious reasons.

How they use their god given facets is up to them, I don't care. Ultimately they have to answer to themselves and their own sense of morals and ethics on how they posture themselves in the outside world; just like I have to answer to myself.

I would most definitely work with a capable & attractive female drummer or any attractive female musician if they were good...and I have worked extensively with female vocalists and bass players. I enjoyed and looked forward to rehearsals, hanging around them and I enjoyed their playing/singing as much as I enjoyed their appearance. So what?

If they got it and want to flaunt it, thats fine by me. I will appreciate it and enjoy the god given beauty. If they are good, I would work with them also.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
You should be the resident expert on this topic giving your avatars.
Let's make that "avatar". It's the same person every time ;)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe if you were more man than mouse, you could actually come out and reveal yourself.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You guys are killing me now!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

I think its only mans drumming Google sphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVihrKCghbA
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I appreciate all the roundabout references. It's like this community keeps me on the inside.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMadlyBackwards View Post
If they got it and want to flaunt it, thats fine by me.
And that's a big part of the question - do they actually have talent as well? What does it say about anyone who can't see or hear beyond a female drummer's good looks?

I can see if a gal looks good, and I can tell if she can play. But I never confuse the two.

Bermuda
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

And what about us ugly girls who play drums? I guess there's just no love or hope for us at all.

Personally, I don't give a damn if you look like John Stamos or Bun E. Carlos when you're playing drums. But if you don't do a lot of ostentatious solos and you can't twirl your sticks at 200 RPMs/second, then you're not worth watching because we all know how important that is.

Yep, just as about as important as how the girl looks behind the kit.

So what if they get "millions of hits"? We're all smart enough to realize that it's not because of their playing if they're not that good. And I bet they know it, too. And sure, it would be nice to have a video with all of those hits but if someone was watching a drumming vid of me just because of how I look then it would be sort of a hollow victory now, wouldn't it? Let them have their meaningless hits, I say.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMadlyBackwards View Post
...sigh

For the love of pete...this politically correct world drives me crazy. I enjoy watching an attractive gal play the drums or any instrument, whether they are good or not, if I'm being honest; for obvious reasons.

How they use their god given facets is up to them, I don't care. Ultimately they have to answer to themselves and their own sense of morals and ethics on how they posture themselves in the outside world; just like I have to answer to myself.

I would most definitely work with a capable & attractive female drummer or any attractive female musician if they were good...and I have worked extensively with female vocalists and bass players. I enjoyed and looked forward to rehearsals, hanging around them and I enjoyed their playing/singing as much as I enjoyed their appearance. So what?

If they got it and want to flaunt it, thats fine by me. I will appreciate it and enjoy the god given beauty. If they are good, I would work with them also.
Wow. Would you work with a capable female musician who wasn't attractive? Please say Yes, otherwise I'll have to go and burn my bra all over again - and I'm so old now that this time I might not remember to take it off.

What about male musicians? Do you only work with ones you find attractive?

Somebody tell me that I have missed the humour in this post.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post

Somebody tell me that I have missed the humour in this post.
The line about man or mouse was pretty good :)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
And that's a big part of the question - do they actually have talent as well? What does it say about anyone who can't see or hear beyond a female drummer's good looks?

I can see if a gal looks good, and I can tell if she can play. But I never confuse the two.

Bermuda
Agreed...But I don't think it is for us to worry about others' intentions when watching female musicians. Hey, if they enjoy the good looks and use 10 different IP addresses and give that video ten unique watches, what do I care? I don't. Why should any of us.

The concept of popularity via utoob watches is something that is really, well, *dumb*! It's great to have media as a *resume*, yes. I don't care if some hot female drummer has 30 million views and some dude drummer has 3 views but he is better. They are releasing themselves to the court of fickle public opinion and deriving some sort of good feeling and hopefully visibility and *money* from all this. What does one expect from faceless nameless hit and run viewers on a network?

The whole "watch" me, look how good I am playing this cover song thing is just silly; why tie one's good feeling to it?

Enjoy your instrument, give it all ya got, enjoy the process.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hahahahaha, you need an eyesight test - IMMEDIATELY!

Regrettably, the rest of your post is accurate.

Answer = the guitarist.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

But why are most people unattractive? I don't have any problems with looking at someone who doesn't take care of themselves and saying that is unattractive, and I don't care to watch or listen.

I remember seeing a string quartet, and I couldn't help but thinking, would it really hurt to get a little exercise in? The thing is, it comes out in the playing, you could hear in their music how they had figured out to but least amount of physical effort into playing, they barely used a third of the bow, so they wouldn't have to move their arm too much to change strings.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I thought all female drummers were attractive?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
And we have a winner!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I appreciate all the roundabout references. It's like this community keeps me on the inside.
I bet you get a little chuckle whenever the jazz drummers around here are talking about the concept of "big ears", too.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Most definitely.

Miss France 2013 was a drummer. I was in love with her right from the start of the show.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311Spider View Post
Yeah, I know, this is nothing new, and sure, I'm jealous, but here's a statement and a question.
By chance, are you female, and/or not good-looking and/or not a good drummer?

Are we going to measure the world in Youtube likes? If so, we are deeply in trouble.

And if you are not a woman, ask one and she will likely tell you good looks differ from attractive, and attractive is the whole deal.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

The question isn't why popularity might be high for others...the question is "what is my appraisal ".

I have respect for the mentioned drummers product....but i am not impressed by the drumming.(I will NOT go into detail as it is not appropriate to this thread).

We can discuss ourselves blue in the face trying to fathom the charactaristics of popularity, but in the end most of the relevant markers are purely marketing....$ spent on marketing....this is not a complex feature of the industry.

..and we all know $ tries to reproduce on features that can be predicted to give high % of success...hence sex appeal being used to attract a potentially paying audience....a limted effective strategy in my opinion - showing the infantile mentality accompanying $.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM

If we were to measure music based on Youtube statistics then it would mean that PSY and Justin Bieber are the greatest of all time........so, you want to continue talking about youtube???
Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
So what if they get "millions of hits"? We're all smart enough to realize that it's not because of their playing if they're not that good. And I bet they know it, too.
That's part of the problem - I don't think they know it. A lot of musicians, both male and female, if they're good looking or popular for some other reason, will usually have lots of people (friends and relatives) kissing and blowing smoke up their @ss, telling them they are good, when they aren't. But they will believe everyone and think they're good. And then they'll go on American Idol and be in complete shock when they learn the reality that they suck.

As for Emmanuelle, like I said she's a great drummer, but there's really nothing special about her playing IMO. What makes her special and stand out, aside from her looks, is her personality. I have a hunch if she were a male with the same personality and drumming skill none of us would have any clue who she is.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

If I had the ability to hire Emmanuelle or Hannah Ford or Meytal Cohen for a tour I would do it in a heartbeat. Live music is a show, the goal is to get people into the show and entertain them. Getting beautiful people on the stage helps. Bringing in polarizing people get butts into seats. There may be a few who get more pub than their talent would dictate, but those are few and far between and are definitely the exception rather than the rule.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
That's part of the problem - I don't think they know it. A lot of musicians, both male and female, if they're good looking or popular for some other reason, will usually have lots of people (friends and relatives) kissing and blowing smoke up their @ss, telling them they are good, when they aren't. But they will believe everyone and think they're good. And then they'll go on American Idol and be in complete shock when they learn the reality that they suck.

As for Emmanuelle, like I said she's a great drummer, but there's really nothing special about her playing IMO. What makes her special and stand out, aside from her looks, is her personality. I have a hunch if she were a male with the same personality and drumming skill none of us would have any clue who she is.
And that makes it your problem why exactly???
Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think you've got the jealousy blinders on. Caplette is one of the few big female drummers out there who really does have a lot of ability. She gives clinics and is a rather accomplished marching snare drummer. Just watching one of the videos will show right away that she has great technique and more importantly, knows how to make music feel good.

I'd rather listen to her playing the drums than Tom Pridgen wank away with the 32nd notes all day long. That's right, I said listen. It still sounds great even without looking at the drummer, attractive or not.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
Live music is a show, the goal is to get people into the show and entertain them. Getting beautiful people on the stage helps. Bringing in polarizing people get butts into seats.
Yep...these are the truths and the reality. In the biggest markets where the most masses of pop culture music consuming fans exist, it is an exercise in culture and marketing. That is what it is. The offering faction *is* going to do everything possible to maximize profit and looks/beauty/style/fashion is part of the equation. It is what it is.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I'd rather listen to her playing the drums than Tom Pridgen wank away with the 32nd notes all day long. That's right, I said listen. It still sounds great even without looking at the drummer, attractive or not.
Me too. She plays cleanly and fluidly. She displays a level of playing that seems quite attainable for most half-way decent drummers - so she's more inspirational than a Pridgen or any other 32nd note chop master.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPortnoy View Post
If we were to measure music based on Youtube statistics then it would mean that PSY and Justin Bieber are the greatest of all time........so, you want to continue talking about youtube???
Everyone keeps discounting the value of youtube. As a matter of fact Justin Bieber got his break from youtube videos that he and his mom uploaded. Youtube has made many anonymous people rich and famous. So, there's something to be said about a performer, specifically a drummer, who can get 1 million plus hits on a youtube video of them playing to some lame cover song. Will they become a famous drummer because of it? Probably not, but if they are smart and can find a way to leverage their youtube popularity it could help them find a high level of (at least) local success that their peers will struggle to find. Just look at that crazy drum stick twirling drummer playing to zztop that had millions of views of his video. I don't think he's a national success, but if he's not charging a very high premium for every gig he plays then he's crazy. Am I wrong???
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 PM

I got interested in Hanna Ford from some stuff on this site and then because she is from KY where I am. I saw some OK pics of her, but started searching around for more of her material and info on her. Girl or not she has won some prestigious honors for her playing. She stays busy doing different projects from jazz, which seems to be her first love, to rock (If Prince thinks you are good enough to be his drummer, that says volumes).

Yes, later on I saw some publicity photos of her, where it seemed she was selling a little sexiness. Fine with me, this is a rough business, you sometimes have to play the game, or maybe she enjoyed doing some modeling, who cares? She is a solid drummer and deserves respect no matter her looks.

What, Bon Jovi did not sell a few extra records because of his hair? Come on.

I do not teach right now, but if a parent came to me with a daughter who wanted to learn, I would jump at the opportunity. The world could use more female drummers. It would make the forum more interesting!!
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Curious as to why you use Emanuelle as an example. She isn't overt in flaunting her sexuality, unlike some other female drummers. She let's her drumming speak for itself.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Emannuelle Caplette is a fantastic drummer who plays beautifully. That would stand out equally on an audio-only recording as on a video where you can see who's playing.

There are other female drummers out there who do overemphasise their appearance over their technical ability, but it's not all that different to people overemphasising stick tricks over playing. This is entertainment so really it's all valid, but at the end of the day if you want a drumming job you're going to have to be good at playing the drums. Getting attention is only the first step, unless that's the entire basis of your business.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljacker View Post
Curious as to why you use Emanuelle as an example. She isn't overt in flaunting her sexuality, unlike some other female drummers. She let's her drumming speak for itself.
I was on this site one day when her videos first appeared on here, and I thought, "hey, a hot chick drummer, I've got to check this out." I checked it out, liked her drumming and decided to seek out more of her videos. And no, she isn't the flaunting type, but she is cute and I think that is not trivial to how she got to be where she is today.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Everyone keeps discounting the value of youtube. As a matter of fact Justin Bieber got his break from youtube videos that he and his mom uploaded. Youtube has made many anonymous people rich and famous. So, there's something to be said about a performer, specifically a drummer, who can get 1 million plus hits on a youtube video of them playing to some lame cover song. Will they become a famous drummer because of it? Probably not, but if they are smart and can find a way to leverage their youtube popularity it could help them find a high level of (at least) local success that their peers will struggle to find. Just look at that crazy drum stick twirling drummer playing to zztop that had millions of views of his video. I don't think he's a national success, but if he's not charging a very high premium for every gig he plays then he's crazy. Am I wrong???
You're not wrong and I'm not saying youtube is useless, I personally have drum cover videos uploaded in youtube and have been asked a couple of times to join some projects because of my videos, so I'm not discounting the value of it, what I'm saying is that music proficiency is not measured in the amount of youtube likes.

If you think you have what it takes, then upload your videos and see what happens, but what does all that have to do with the fact that some female drummers have more or less likes??? Why does that have to be a problem for you??
I've seen videos of some of those female drummers mentioned above and their technique didn't appear like magic just because they're pretty, trust me.