DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:39 AM

Default Overbooking/Double booking?

Hey y'all,

How do you guys deal with overbooking/double-booking scenarios? I'm starting to get too busy, a good problem to have no doubt (don't let my username fool ya), but one I am ill-equipped to handle. Anything you do to keep everybody (mostly) happy, or how you prioritize the gigs you take? I'm having trouble balancing more long term original stuff with stuff that actually pays.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Overbooking/Double booking?

I manage (read: juggle) 3 or 4 "permanent" positions in local bands, and sub in 4 or 5 others. Basically, whoever calls first is the gig I do. Doesn't matter if a better money gig is offered later, I stick with the first one. Fortunately, amazingly, there are very few conflicts as far as bookings, and it's rare that I have to turn someone down. Coincidentally, I had to turn down a gig tonight to do one that was booked a few months back. But, that happens maybe once every 3 months or so.

The only possible exception is when there's an Al tour, I must always defer to that. But those dates are booked well in advance, and my bands can access my online calendar to see where I'm busy or available, so they know whether or not to even ask.

Of course, there's always the possibility that some bands don't want to keep hiring subs, and will look for a permanent drummer who is able to better commit. That's their prerogative and there's no arguing with it. In that situation, I become the sub.

Bermuda
Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I manage (read: juggle) 3 or 4 "permanent" positions in local bands, and sub in 4 or 5 others. Basically, whoever calls first is the gig I do. Doesn't matter if a better money gig is offered later, I stick with the first one. Fortunately, amazingly, there are very few conflicts as far as bookings, and it's rare that I have to turn someone down. Coincidentally, I had to turn down a gig tonight to do one that was booked a few months back. But, that happens maybe once every 3 months or so.

The only possible exception is when there's an Al tour, I must always defer to that. But those dates are booked well in advance, and my bands can access my online calendar to see where I'm busy or available, so they know whether or not to even ask.

Of course, there's always the possibility that some bands don't want to keep hiring subs, and will look for a permanent drummer who is able to better commit. That's their prerogative and there's no arguing with it. In that situation, I become the sub.

Bermuda
Thanks Bermuda! Very helpful to know.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Being a complete mercenary is bad in the long term. As Jon said, first come first booked. Unless the big boss calls, it's a done deal. Think that a better gig will come for that night, don't commit.

Have a list of subs that you can trust to also not though people under the bus at the last minute for a better gig. And can handle the one you referred them to. That way people will call you first. And if you can't make it, you'll turn them on to someone who can. But your calendar will be full first.

Google calendar is great. You can give folks access to see yours, which they can overlay with other folks they may call for other chairs. I know some leaders who have a different band every night. But tend to pull from a common group so that their repertoire is known. They look at everyone's calendar and the band kind of falls together out of the open spots.