DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Playing while injured

Oh man did I tear up my shoulder 6 days ago doing electrical work, pulling wire through bored holes. I have been in constant pain for the longest time I can remember. 5 days of constant pain really screws with a person. Painkillers can't touch this kind of pain, I've tried. I tried taking 6 valium and 4 oxy's just to knock myself out so I could sleep, that lasted about 2 hours before I woke up from the pain. I couldn't lift my elbow up off my side without major pain in the beginning. I have barely eaten in 5 days and am the most depressed I've been in a while. I lost 11 pounds, and my wife is basically disgusted with me for being in bed and moaning for the last 5 days straight. She is no help at all. I have a gig in 2 days. This sucks royally. I can lift my elbow up about 45 degrees now in relation to my side, but it takes some doing. I have been forcing myself to regain movement but it takes a lot out of me. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through this gig. Sorry I have to vent to those who understand, not getting any of that here.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Playing while injured

That sucks Larry! I take it the doctor says you just have to "go through" the pain? There's nothing else that can be done? I'd think about sending a sub to your gig and taking it easy then!

If its any consolation, there's a new Mo picture in your Mo thread. Maybe that'll cheer you up ;)
Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

I'd do what the doc says. If he says it's ok to play, then do it and suffer but if you need to let
this heel first, you should really do that.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Oh man did I tear up my shoulder 6 days ago doing electrical work, pulling wire through bored holes. I have been in constant pain for the longest time I can remember. 5 days of constant pain really screws with a person. Painkillers can't touch this kind of pain, I've tried. I tried taking 6 valium and 4 oxy's just to knock myself out so I could sleep, that lasted about 2 hours before I woke up from the pain. I couldn't lift my elbow up off my side without major pain in the beginning. I have barely eaten in 5 days and am the most depressed I've been in a while. I lost 11 pounds, and my wife is basically disgusted with me for being in bed and moaning for the last 5 days straight. She is no help at all. I have a gig in 2 days. This sucks royally. I can lift my elbow up about 45 degrees now in relation to my side, but it takes some doing. I have been forcing myself to regain movement but it takes a lot out of me. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through this gig. Sorry I have to vent to those who understand, not getting any of that here.
Larry...honestly I know you have an inherent distrust for western medicine,but sometimes,holistic and eastern medicine can't always offer a solution.

This kind of pain is your bodies way of saying....get me to a doctor....now.The pain meds are just barely masking the real problem.You've been in real pain for a while now,and it dosen't seen to be abaiting

As a friend,I'm telling you to cowboy up,and get to a real doctor.Sometimes conventional medicine is the only solution to a problem.

Before you suffer any long term, serious and possibly unrepairable damage......go to a doctor NOW.Get your wife to drive you.You may have ignored her plea to do so,which If I may be so bold,is a possible source or irritation .

If I'm wrong,just tell me to F off.It's cool.I've been in you place when I had a hernia some years ago.I refused to see what was obviously the solution to my pain,and just put it off,till I almost did irreperable harm to myself.

Do it Larry.I would hate to see you have to give up anything you love for lack of a good decision.We all make bad decisions once in a while,but if you posted this....you must be questioning yours.

As the metaphor goes....for want of a nail,a kingdom was lost.Go to a doctor,please buddy.

Steve B
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM

If pain killers aren't helping, sounds like you need to get your butt back to the doctor, man. Something sounds very wrong with that scenario.

Edit: I just noticed tamadrm's post. I'd listen to that advice. :)

Last edited by Markadiddle; 04-03-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I agree with everyone saying you should go to a doctor, Larry. Incredible pain that has lasted for days doesn't seem like something you can sleep off, which you can't do anyway. The sooner the better, because you never know if it will become worse. One gig is nowhere near as important as your quality of life. Best of luck to you, man. Get well soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
"Uncle Larry"

While I appreciate the doctor advice, what can they do with a torn or sprained muscle? AFAIK, nothing except let it heal and try and push through the pain to regain motion. No way are they cutting me, I don't think I need that anyway. I didn't break anything, but I could have torn a muscle or sprained/strained a ligament. I'd go if I thought they could do something but each day I get just a tiny bit more motion from it, painfully, mainly from me forcing myself to do it. It was one of those things where I don't know exactly when it happened, all I knew is the next day I was in more pain than I care to recall. Today, 5 days later, is the least amount of pain since I first noticed it, but it's still enough to hinder my daily activities. I have all my motions, they just really hurt. If I really thought I did serious damage, I'd go but I think it's just a bad bad sprain/strain or tear. Thanks you guys, I just needed to vent. If I wasn't getting any better that would be different, but at least I can touch my ear now. That was out of the question a few days ago. I'm going to try and play my drums today to see what happens.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

My experience is trying to play through the pain usually results in poor playing.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Larry,

Be careful with yourself!

If you are feeling pain down in the joint be sure to get it checked out...dont want permanent problems.

Keep drinking LOADS of water...but keep your electolytes balanced(keep eating even though pain usually makes us stop).

might be wise to call in a pinch hitter for the gig....
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 PM
"Uncle Larry"

As a guy, I have been conditioned to not complain about things, especially about my own personal pain, but I gotta say, I feel like a burden has been lifted just by not keeping it all in. I am very grateful for each and every one of you here. You are most definitely my support team and confidants and advisers. You guys mean the world to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 PM

Larry, when I read your post I assumed you HAD seen a doctor and were just (understandably) venting about the pain.

That degree of pain means DAMAGE- and damage has to be either treated or at the very least allowed to rest / heal. Probably the latter, but even so you may need to have it strapped up or something so that whatever it is that's damaged heals properly and doesn't end up permanently bent out of shape. AND get advice on APPROPRIATE physical therapy as it heals - so you're aiding the healing process and not making it worse.

If you don't entirely trust doctors, how about a sports physio ? In my experience, they are the only people who truly understand the need to get back out and get active again, as quickly as possible. I've seen a sports physio, on and off, for years. He's so active in sports, he'd go nuts if he had to rest for more than a day or so. So if he tells me something needs rest, I know it's the only option. And if he tells me "this is the quickest way to get you moving again" - I believe him.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As a guy, I have been conditioned to not complain about things, especially about my own personal pain, but I gotta say, I feel like a burden has been lifted just by not keeping it all in. I am very grateful for each and every one of you here. You are most definitely my support team and confidants and advisers. You guys mean the world to me.
Larry...at least get an X-Ray or an MRI.Torn ligaments and muscles have to on occasion be surgicly re-attached.This can be done with limited invasive orthoscopic surgery,with out the need to "cut you open".The pain and recovery time is greatly reduced,as well as inherent risks,associated with surgical procedures.

My lady friend is a RN BS with a AS in holistic medicine.Over 25 years in the field Last year she was playing hop scotch with her niece,landed wrong on her heel and detached a ligament between her left heel and knee.

It HAD to be surgicly repaired,and was done so orthoscopicly.She said there was less post surgical pain,than the initial and subsequent injury.There was also physical therapy involved,but she made a FULL recovery.

Had she not done so,there would have been PERMANENT physical damage,and she NEVER would have walked correctly again.

At the very least,go to a doctor,have the scan and get evaluated.You don't have to do anything you don't want to.

BUT NOT KNOWING ALL THE FACTS,ANY DECISION YOU MAKE CAN BE THE WRONG ONE.It can also result in you becoming a one armed drummer.

Why take the chance,without the proper and accurate information?.

Do it buddy

Steve B

Last edited by tamadrm; 04-04-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Larry, we love ya. That's why we're telling you, SEE A F**KING DOCTOR.

Get better, buddy.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Hi Larry, unfortunately I went into the boards at hockey about 2 months ago and did exactaly what you have and strained the ligaments between my collar bone and shoulder, and it was the most painful couple days of my life.... After almost a week of constant pain I was convinced to see a doctor invade something was broken. Turns out it wasn't and all they said was rest. Before I went to see the doctor I was also trying to fight through the pain to prepare for a big gig, and believe me when I say you never realize how much energy is transferred back into your shoulder when you hit the drums. The doctor gave me a sling To wear to aid in resting. The sling was a huge help and after just 3 days in a sling I felt tens times better than I did trying to fight through it. Long story short I would try putting it in a sling for a couple days and after that work out the stiffness it will heal much faster IME. Was able to play the gig not quite pain free but I got though it.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Renegade

Larry, get your stubborn Yankee butt off to a doctor or physio now! If not for yourself, could you at least please do it to satisfy old Gretchen Grae? :)

Based on the pain, it sounds like dislocation. If it is, by not getting treatment you risk permanent injury (esp at our age) and possibly forever limiting your playing, which would be a terrible shame after all the progress you've made.

The main exercise you should be doing now is dialing up for a sub.

Good pickup, Steve.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Have you tried whiskey and holistic herbal medicines? Go see a medicine man and the good doctor at the whiskey store. Some herbal remedies for nerve pain are shown to actually work.

More seriously, don't even think of playing a gig on Saturday. I had a similar situation wherein my back decided that it was going to put me in serious pain for a week and a half... I had to cancel 2 shows and that bummed me out more than anything else, but being bummed didn't change the fact that playing with an injury is actually even dumber than listening to the recommendations of watso.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh man did I tear up my shoulder 6 days ago doing electrical work, pulling wire through bored holes.
What the hell? Shoulda drilled bigger holes :)

That's what I do for a living BTW so I am a tough Mofo. :)

When I was gigging, I broke my left hand ring finger at work. I had to tape the drumstick to my hand for a week. I told you I was tough.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 AM

I feel your pain Larry. I am a remodeling contractor and do all of my own wiring. Strained a ligament in my left shoulder last year pulling 6/3 wire through the damned floor joist, doc said I could do nothing but let it heal it took several weeks. A word of advice, Vicodin is your Buddy. Definitely go see the Doc
Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Larry, my friend, I play through pain almost every gig, but at least I know why. Put simply, you don't. Diagnosis is everything - everything!

If you really must self diagnose, then take some anti inflammatory drugs. This will achieve two things;

1/ If your pain reduces, & your mobility increases, then it's a fair bet that you have caused swelling through mild - medium tissue damage. If your pain reduces, but your mobility doesn't improve, then there's a fair chance you've done something a bit more serious.

2/ If you have strained a muscle, ligament, or other similar damage, then reducing swelling gives the injury a better chance of repairing by calming everything down.

This is by no means a "test" you should rely on, but in the face of stubbornness & an inability to let go of your beliefs, it's maybe better than toughing it out.

You have insurance - right? The straight ahead advice is to get a scan & take it from there. Once the scan is done, you can always question the diagnosis, or decide to ignore the advice given, but at least you have a reasonably informed choice opportunity.

Get this wrong, & you could be playing at 40BPM for the rest of your life, always fours on the hats, & throw away your ride cymbal + floor tom. Sound good to you?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

Larry, you are a grade-A dumbass. A doctor can properly diagnose your injury and tell you how to rehab it properly. That may include the amount of rest you need, special exercises, how to wrap the arm/shoulder to stabilize the injury, whether to ice it, heat it, or all of the above. If you try to play a gig now you risk making the injury worse. If you don't treat it properly it might never heal. Abusing prescription isn't exactly a bright idea either. A real doctor can probably give you a better method for dealing with the pain as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Abusing prescription isn't exactly a bright idea either.
True, but I did post it up as a last resort if all usual reasoning fails, & the anti inflammatory drugs I'm (tenuously) suggesting are over the counter med's.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

OK, let's not beat-up on Uncle Larry too much. I'm sure he'll do the right thing provided the pain is great enough. It's time, Larry.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
True, but I did post it up as a last resort if all usual reasoning fails, & the anti inflammatory drugs I'm (tenuously) suggesting are over the counter med's.
Oh, I agree, ibuprofen is a good idea. A fist full of Valium and Vicodin? Not so much.

Quote:
OK, let's not beat-up on Uncle Larry too much. I'm sure he'll do the right thing provided the pain is great enough. It's time, Larry.
Hey, sometimes it takes a big dogpile to get through to a stubborn old goat. :]. He can't ignore the collective wisdom of the Internet!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Hey if it's inflammation, my brother was working with light machines that had gotten him right out of pain when nothing else would, Can't remember the idea but the light creates healing by giving energy to the tissues or whatever. If nothing else works, I guess it's really interesting to check out.

http://theenergyhealinginstitute.com...t_Therapy.html
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM

Just thought I'd throw in my opinion too, from what I gather Larry, you don't like/distrust western medicine?

Good neither do I, but there's times when you need a doctor and this is one of them at least for a diagnosis like Andy said, then your stubbornness can lead to to healing your self through the diagnosis the doctor gave. I'm also going to say cancel the gig, its better to rest and not drum for a week (or more till it gets better) than to force through it and end up cutting your drumming life short from a stupid act of stubbornness and stupidity.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

Exactly!

Even if you don't agree with what the doctor says you should do to address the issue, then at least you get a view of what the problem is / or might be.

I sort of agree on the whole western medicine thing - up to a point - but not doing anything is not very wise either. Going to see a doctor doesn't mean you automatically give them permission to cut you up.

Maybe a physio would be a good place to start, as others have suggested.

Your body is trying to tell you something, and since apparently you don't know what that is then you need someone to translate it for you.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

It still makes sense to get some tests done to find out what has been damaged and needs to be treated. Then you can decide whether to go with what the doc recommends or continue with a homeopathic course of action. It could just be some physical therapy like I had to get on my shoulder a few years ago.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Hang in there Larry and be careful.

I have a herniated disc and will have to have surgery. Horrible pain and like you pain killers can't touch this. My bass drum leg is considerably weak (slight nerve damage) and the doc says i may or may not get full strength back. So I'm off the kit as of now. But at least I can still do rudiments on the pad while sitting on the couch.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Well, Larry, it's a new day...hope you're feeling better!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post

I have a herniated disc and will have to have surgery. Horrible pain and like you pain killers can't touch this. My bass drum leg is considerably weak (slight nerve damage) and the doc says i may or may not get full strength back. So I'm off the kit as of now. But at least I can still do rudiments on the pad while sitting on the couch.
Sorry to hear that. I have spinal damage (benign tumour/neural fibroma erosion) across 5 vertebrae with a similar affect on my right leg. A few years ago, I almost completely lost the use of my right leg, but the nerves grew back around the tumour site & mostly restored function. Now I have good days & bad days, hence learning to finish off a set using the left slave pedal. With regards to nerve damage & your situation, I hope that gives you some comfort in terms of repair possibilities.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM

I'm still recovering from a pinched nerve in my neck -- leads to pain in arm and shoulder, also the "electric shock/tingling" feeling. Larry's description reminded me of it -- painkillers, inc. muscle relaxants, can't touch it. Good luck, pard.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Larry, you are a grade-A dumbass. A doctor can properly diagnose your injury and tell you how to rehab it properly. That may include the amount of rest you need, special exercises, how to wrap the arm/shoulder to stabilize the injury, whether to ice it, heat it, or all of the above. If you try to play a gig now you risk making the injury worse. If you don't treat it properly it might never heal. Abusing prescription isn't exactly a bright idea either. A real doctor can probably give you a better method for dealing with the pain as well.
While I agree with your constructive commentary,calling this man a "grade -A dumbass",is hardly appropriate,and uncalled for.

Steve B
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
While I agree with your constructive commentary,calling this man a "grade -A dumbass",is hardly appropriate,and uncalled for.

Steve B
was this a term of endearment? :)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post

My wife had the same thing, she went to a neurosurgeon and had a procedure called microdysectomy (don't think I spelled it correctly) but it was very non invasive and all of the broken peaces of disc were removed from the nerve through a one inch incision. she awoke from surgery with no pain or numbness and after two years is completely heeled.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 AM
"Uncle Larry"

The shoulder is fine. It's almost all back. The gig will be played. It's not like something popped or anything. I don't even know exactly when it happened, and it didn't hurt until the next day. It was just a bad strain and a friggin painful 5 days. Today was the first good day.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
While I appreciate the doctor advice, what can they do with a torn or sprained muscle? AFAIK, nothing except let it heal and try and push through the pain to regain motion. No way are they cutting me, I don't think I need that anyway. I didn't break anything, but I could have torn a muscle or sprained/strained a ligament. I'd go if I thought they could do something but each day I get just a tiny bit more motion from it, painfully, mainly from me forcing myself to do it. It was one of those things where I don't know exactly when it happened, all I knew is the next day I was in more pain than I care to recall. Today, 5 days later, is the least amount of pain since I first noticed it, but it's still enough to hinder my daily activities. I have all my motions, they just really hurt. If I really thought I did serious damage, I'd go but I think it's just a bad bad sprain/strain or tear. Thanks you guys, I just needed to vent. If I wasn't getting any better that would be different, but at least I can touch my ear now. That was out of the question a few days ago. I'm going to try and play my drums today to see what happens.
Larry, you know I worked in health care for 30 years. However, I tip my hat to you on many of your positions about health care. You are often right about them -bunch of quacks-

And if you ask me, and I got the inside scoop. (Self included). Here is the problem though, if you let the inflammatory response keep going, sometimes the body will make it permanent. Look up the term Allodynia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allodynia.

Sometimes an injury can recreate itself. The injury causes more injury. Leg cramps are a classic example.

Anyway, I hope you heal quick. And I always believed in the RICE mantra: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (Obviously not for a shoulder unless your a bat) Some doctors can make a difference, speed healing and prevent permanent damage.

Cheers,

J
Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Renegade

Quote:
The shoulder is fine. It's almost all back. The gig will be played. It's not like something popped or anything. I don't even know exactly when it happened, and it didn't hurt until the next day. It was just a bad strain and a friggin painful 5 days. Today was the first good day.
Good news, Lar. Another possibility ... a nerve problem if it's that painful without LT consequences ...?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/71...shoulder-pain/

I personally wouldn't call you a dumbass. I think knucklehead fits better, but that's just me :)