DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Endorsements retarded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
But then again, I'm not the one who spends months and months away from home, I get to see my wife and kids every night.
Exactly Ian. There's always a price to pay, & the heaviest price is always the one without monetary value attached.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Gold Member

I am not sure if Cymbal endorsers get this as much as guitar player seems to, but what about mandatory convention/other appearances?

I guess if the artist had to pay his own way to appear sometimes, that could balance the artist's money out for getting free stuff.

My brother is under contract with Titleist. He receives his own set for free, new balls every 3 or so months and a bag. Everything else he gets a discount on.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
I am not sure if Cymbal endorsers get this as much as guitar player seems to, but what about mandatory convention/other appearances?
It depends on the company, the type of event/appearance, and to a certain extent, the artist in question.

Would Zildjian love to have Ringo come to NAMM? You bet! Do they expect him to? Of course not. Do they hold that against him? Of course not.

None of it is mandatory, but it's smart for the artist to make some effort. When Joey Kramer came back to Ludwig, he showed up for the autograph session at NAMM, also taking the opportunity to hawk his new book. It's unlikely he'll do another appearance for like that for Ludwig, and that's fine. Ludwig made the necessary splash, and once was enough.

Some artists are clinicians/educators, and there is often an agreement as to the number of clinics that the company will sponsor, contingent upon the artist's schedule (if he's in a band) and the dealers' ability to accommodate the artist. They will typically involve other endorsed companies to help share the cost.

But in general, an artist who's sincere about the product, passionate about their art, and doesn't absolutely hate people, is happy to do what the company asks, which is really not much.

Bermuda
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

This is just pure pig-headed pouting and sour grapes. If it bothers you, turn the negative energy into positive. Turn around, get good, get better, get great, make it ....and then you can do whatever you want, including upholding your own philosophy, by turning away any future endorsements.

And yes the title of the thread is derogatory.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Endorsements backwards?

Yeah, too many negatives on the title, I've amended it to mean the same thing.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Business deals dont tend to benifit those who need it.

...hence the US and most other first world nations have public entitlement programs.

Unfortunatly..(or fortunatly?)...music equipment is not considered a basic need.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM

Endorsements backwards?
That's easy.
stnemesrodnE
How 'bout something a little more challenging?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
"Business deals don't tend to benefit those who need [to benefit]"
What do you mean by that? If two people engage in a business deal, they trade things they already have in exchange for things they'd rather have, that they feel are more valuable. Both parties benefit/everyone wins. Each individual decides for themselves whether or not they are benefiting.

Apply this to the OP:

In the case of endorsements, Zildjian trades Travis Barker cymbals, sticks, and a lot of marketing consideration for his promotion of their products. In the opinion of the Zildjian team, simply having Travis's promotion benefits them more than they could benefit from selling the gear they are giving him and vice versa... Travis gets free stuff!

That's why only "successful" drummers who are (usually) better paid than kids or beginners get free stuff, even though they can afford it. They pay for the gear with their recommendation. If you're a kid starting out, your recommendation doesn't mean much. If you're the drummer for XYZ-Mega-Super Band or you're a monster player, your recommendation carries more weight because your status is elevated above average.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Yeah, too many negatives on the title, I've amended it to mean the same thing.
It seems to me that retarded and backwards have two completely different definitions. The first can correlate with tempo or that of slowing down, the second, well not so much. I'll leave the proper synonym to the language majors on this channel.

Dennis
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM

The "endorsement backwards" title refers directly to the OPs suggestion that the endorsement process logic is somehow reversed. Hence my use of the word 'backwards'.

Any chance we can stay on topic here?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
The "endorsers" are basically employees of the company they endorse. .
Not employees.

They simply have contracts with the companies that spell out their responsibilities and their compensation. The gear is simply part (perhaps all) of that compensation.

Last edited by New Tricks; 03-07-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I don't see how endorsements can be described as, "slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress." That is, unless you are referring to the derogatory use of the word, in which case the title of this thread is very offensive...
+100.Thanks Caddy.As someone who works with the mentally retarded,I'm pretty offended by the OP's ,and his use of it as another term for stupid.

O.P. you may think that using that word is cool and hip,but it's far from it.;((

Steve B
Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The "endorsement backwards" title refers directly to the OPs suggestion that the endorsement process logic is somehow reversed. Hence my use of the word 'backwards'.

Any chance we can stay on topic here?
Except backwards is not a word- backward however is.

Which is more beneficial to the company? If you wanted people endorsing you would you go with a no-name or a well know drummer? You want recognition and increased revenue. They are not trying to do good for the community by giving free or discounted gear. Yes those drummers can afford it, but if you had one company offering you whatever free cymbals or whatever you need, would you not do that over just buying something? Most people with money are at least somewhat conscientious of how they spend.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

I think when people think "big time endorsement" they're looking at it the wrong way. It's not that the artist is getting things for free, it's that he's supported when he goes out to do something. I think we all assume that pro drummers are driving around in their own vehicles with their own equipment happily going from gig-to-gig, and I've not found this to be true for the big names.

Last year when I got a chance to speak with a rep from Sonor, he told me about what a stress it was to get Gavin Harrison a kit to play when he went on David Letterman, after FedEx lost the first kit that was sent out. So Gavin is just flying in from wherever he is to do his bit on the show, but it's up to the supporting company to get Gavin what he needs to play. Likewise, when the Police were on their world tour, I doubt Stewart's drums were traveling around with him. They lived with the rest of the gear and were taken care of by his own people, with support from Tama to make sure his instrument is in good working order. That's the true value of the endorsement, I think. To be supported while you're out performing, and drums definitely need it.

I know people who have a discounted rate for stuff, but I've noticed that endorsement deals are proportional to how big you are, and that's fair. I don't expect gear for the level of visibility I have, and the one big gig I have nobody even knows its me playing, and we have a deal with Yamaha!

I'm thankful to be playing at all in any capacity and I just buy what I want.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Platinum Member

As Bo says, the logistical support is the often one of the main reasons that big-name artists sign deals with companies. It would be great if I turned up at every gig with a kit there, ready-to-play and I only play (relatively) locally. Going on international tours is very difficult logistically and it doesn't make sense to ship a kit from location-to-location if a different kit can simply be taken from local stock and returned after the gig. It's not uncommon for shops to have kits for sale at a slight discount after they've been used by an artist during a tour.

There are other reasons artists sign deals but 'free gear' isn't a big incentive. The vast majority of artists with deals don't get given equipment for free but instead buy the gear directly from the company with a discount. For big-name artists, companies may offer to produce gear with a level of customisation (for instance, the Zildjian A Custom series was designed in conjunction with Dave Weckl) and having a 'signature' series often makes sense for manufacturers commercially.

Liking the gear in the first place is a given, though.

EDIT: What NerfLad said.

Last edited by BacteriumFendYoke; 03-06-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
(for instance, the Zildjian A Custom series was designed in conjunction with Dave Weckl)
I liked your post, but it was Vinnie who designed the A Customs around 91/92. Dave's signature cymbals are the HHX Legacy and Evolution lines
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
I liked your post, but it was Vinnie who designed the A Customs around 91/92. Dave's signature cymbals are the HHX Legacy and Evolution lines
Curses. You're absolutely right of course. I somehow managed to get them reversed in my head. Dave certainly played the A Customs for a while but it was Vinnie that was consulted on their design.

Vinnie's also had a lot to do with the latest Paiste B20 offerings.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Curses. You're absolutely right of course. I somehow managed to get them reversed in my head. Dave certainly played the A Customs for a while but it was Vinnie that was consulted on their design.

Vinnie's also had a lot to do with the latest Paiste B20 offerings.
I wonder if he got them for free ;)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder if he got them for free ;)
No idea why butthat just tickled me. Brilliant.

I'm not sure why we get these endorsement questions so often. I seem to remember a few other members not quite understanding the point of these deals...

If anyone wants to mix me up with Vinnie, I'll take his cymbals. Thankyouplease.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthRocker View Post
You're all really missing the point I'm making.

An endorsing artist (Barker, Lang, Mayer, tons of others) are good advertisement. I get this. So of course, I say it's fine for those guys to have their names and photos on websites. But Travis Barker has used Zildjian for years - the guy's loaded. He could have any cymbal he wanted. Why doesn't he PURCHASE them, instead of receiving them for free. What's the point in a famous drummer with tons of cash getting a free product?

Work with them - if they break a cymbal, replace it, etc. But giving them as many cymbals as they want, no questions asked? I understand it isn't this way with all companies, or all levels of endorsement even. But

It's called doing business. There is a business model (obviously) instrument/gear companies adhere to which is a time-tested and proven method. Who's doing who a favor?

Travis Barker probably has all that cash in his pocket because he doesn't have to buy any cymbals or drums.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Renegade

That's the way of the world. The richer you are, the more likely it is that you'll be given things for free. I suspect that financial size has its own kind of gravity that attracts money.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I don't see how endorsements can be described as, "slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress." That is, unless you are referring to the derogatory use of the word, in which case the title of this thread is very offensive...
Exactly what I was going to point out, in addition to his myriad misunderstanding of business endorsements... negatively mentioning the plight of the mentally challenged is NOT cool in my book.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

The answer to this thread is "Stnemesrodne".
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Back when I was playing guitar a bit more actively, I knew another guitarist who supported himself as a rep for a locally based string company. He offered to set me up as an endorser. I guess he felt that he could justify my limited local reputation as worth a couple packs of strings a month just to tell folks I used their stuff. Nothing like getting a cymbal much less a guitar or drum kit. I begged off as I didn't think I was high profile enough to be worth it, and for the amount of playing I was doing, I could buy another brand of strings that lasted longer and get by just fine on my own. A year or so later I hooked up with a more active corporate band and was out in larger venues (and going though strings faster) but he wasn't doing that anymore so I missed my chance. Some new rep might have pulled the plug on it anyway.

Sometimes these low level endorsements are more a result of networking. I have some friends at the mid level who have artist consideration (meaning something around dealer cost) deals with some companies. They knew people who knew people who set them up. Or they had a tour with someone of sufficient notoriety that they met some reps and were able to wrangle some kinds of deals. I know other folks with national airplay, touring halls around the country who have to buy their own heads and sticks at street prices, never mind getting them free. Sometimes a local independent store will get behind an up and comer. There are many levels to the endorsement game. One is being so big they're chasing after you. The other is the same as getting gigs, getting signed, getting better gigs, and the whole rest of the music business. You have to cover all the bases. Be able to play, be professional, and be aggressive. Best of luck.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

But what of SoulTone? You can be an endorser over there ;)

Sorry for throwing gas on the barbecue.....
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
But what of SoulTone? You can be an endorser over there ;)

Sorry for throwing gas on the barbecue.....
I'm sure SJC will be happy to support these rising stars!! As well as XCEL Drumsticks, and Yungin$$ double-bass pedals, and Kool~Dawg speed metal cymbal toppers, and rippinTitez drum pants...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM

Two things one should strive not to do: buy new, and not be able to coax good sounds out of the crappiest piece of gear available.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
why when I walk into Ruth's Chris steak house I pay full price ?
Why indeed? Those steaks are one of the most amazing things a man can eat and I say that as a general vegetarian who normally has no issue avoiding meat. Take me to a RC, though, and you bet your ass I'm ordering a filet that's served on a 500 degree plate in the middle of sizzling F***ing butter!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I don't why people are beating up on the OP. He is far from the first person to think this.
Quite. Give the guy a break. Itís a legitimate topic for discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
...the richer you are, the more "free" stuff you get...
Word. Or whatever the current term for "I agree" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
This is just pure pig-headed pouting and sour grapes. ... Turn around, get good, get better, get great, make it ....and then you can do whatever you want,
Ah yes, the American Dream. Howís that working out for everybody these days?

This type of situation has nothing to do with music or drumming in any way. Itís just regular free-market business. A large number of people see it as wildly unfair when big companies with lots of money get discounts on things, while individuals with very limited resources have to pay full pop for the same thing. That applies to basically everything these days. Do you think a big company buying new personal computers pays what you or I would if we walked into a retail shop? No way!

The rich people/companies get stuff cheap, and the poor people get hosed. Welcome to capitalism.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

There's a Mark Twain short story called 'The Million Pound Bank Note' that sums a lot of this up perfectly - at least in terms of what Anduin said.

The basic premise is that two eccentric millionaire brothers stage a bet whereby they give a man with no money a million Pound bank note. If the man has to pay for anything after being given the note, one of the brothers loses the bet. Quite literally everything. He gets by purely on the basis that he obviously has money and this bank note is evidence of that.

It was made into an interesting film that is (occasionally) shown on British TV, although not for a while: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046072/
Old 03-08-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin View Post
Do you think a big company buying new personal computers pays what you or I would if we walked into a retail shop? No way!
Big companies often have "contract" pricing for buying exclusively, and usually in bulk, from a vendor. They also have recurring annual service contracts that help make up any supposed losses the seller takes, so in reality, a big company isn't getting off so cheap.

And corporate rates don't always work in their favor. Ever rent a car or a hotel room or book a flight at the corporate rate? It's a price gouge fest! Big companies sometimes get taken advantage of more than they get special discounts.

But in that world, there are a limited number of airlines, rental car companies, and hotel chains. Corporations are captive audiences. For endorsers, there are countless options for product and many players make little differentiation between brands and think nothing of jumping ship. So, companies have to treat the artists a little nicer if they want a successful marketing campaign.

Bermuda
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

I say it's fine for those guys to have their names and photos on websites. But Travis Barker has used Zildjian for years - the guy's loaded. He could have any cymbal he wanted. Why doesn't he PURCHASE them, instead of receiving them for free. What's the point in a famous drummer with tons of cash getting a free product?

Does the kings son pay a tax?

Barker wasn't born into the ZILDJIAN family, he started from nothing, he, or someone he knew had to buy his gear, he/they bought cymbals/gear at the prices you buy it at. He may have bought a little, or a lot, who knows.

Barker can have any cymbal he wants b/c he can afford it 'now' that's true, but by being true it also adds weight to the endorsement, he (and others) don't need free/discounted stuff from ZILDJIAN/whoever, he chooses to accept/play it, it does add credence to the endorsement deal.

It is frustrating drum gear is so g'dam expensive, we all go through it, one drumhead being $50-60 etc. We all feel the pain, but there's not one drummer who's paying their own way to get to a certain level that's going to turn down free gear when its offered, especially if its gear we like.

If barker thought ZILDJIAN'S were crap, he wouldn't play them. He endorses them and yes, it is like a form of payment, a little freebie.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
The rich people/companies get stuff cheap, and the poor people get hosed.
That's a bit skewed. If a rich drummer whips out a bunch of $100 bills for a $1000 snare, and a poor drummer has to save for 6 months to buy the same drum for $1000, how does he get hosed? As a percentage of each drummer's wealth, there's a difference, but nobody got hosed, or received special treatment.

Do you think that because I'm considered a high-profile drummer, I get a different deal in music stores? Well, sometimes I do, but it's because I'm a regular customer, and the discount is a small thank you for my continued business. It's not "let's be nice to Bermuda", it's more like "let's keep this guy who spends money coming back!"

Yep, they can spot me a mile away.

Bermuda
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Ever rent a car or a hotel room or book a flight at the corporate rate? It's a price gouge fest!
Hmmm. Extensive experience, personal and otherwise, seems to indicate the exact opposite.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Wal mart employees get a discount, airline employees get a discount, you probably get something for free, or discounted where you work, weather its free paper clips out of the trash, or use of a car.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
...in music stores...It's not "let's be nice to Bermuda", it's more like "let's keep this guy who spends money coming back!"
Exactly. Thank you for illustrating my point. They know youíve got money, so they treat you differently, and maybe give you a better deal. As you imply, itís all about the money. Nothing to do with music or drumming.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What do you mean by that?
The 2 parties engading in the deal have resources.

People without resources are S.O.L.

Hence entitlement programs.(at least, where they are not actually benifiting those that "have" via politial manipulation)
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
If barker thought ZILDJIAN'S were crap, he wouldn't play them. He endorses them and yes, it is like a form of payment, a little freebie.
It is exactly a form of payment, and in legalese it's called consideration for use of the artist's name and likeness used to market the brand.

Here's the thing, once you get to a certain point in your career, you have to understand that your name carries some value... some cachť if you will. It may be as simple as a band featuring your name so they can benefit from the association, or on the top end, receiving product for the use of it. If your name carries some weight, don't just give it away.

Bermuda
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Thank you for illustrating my point. They know youíve got money, so they treat you differently, and maybe give you a better deal. As you imply, itís all about the money. Nothing to do with music or drumming.
I get discounts based on volume (repeat business.) I don't expect a store to do anything because I'm a drummer or chose the arts as a career. It's not their responsibility to support the arts or artists.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I get discounts based on volume (repeat business.) I don't expect a store to do anything because I'm a drummer or chose the arts as a career. It's not their responsibility to support the arts or artists.
Not their responsibility, itís true, but itís absolutely in the interests of retail music shops to support both arts and artists. (If the art fades, so does their business.)

Same goes for the manufacturers. I mean, thatís why endorsement deals exist, right?