DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 AM

Default What 18" crash would be suitable for constant crashing for rock genre

I'm looking to buy a new 18" crash cymbal to use for my band, we play pop rock which requires a lot of crash use in the choruses. I have the Zildjian 18" A custom crash in mind. What you think?

Sam
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 AM

Default Re: What 18" crash would be suitable for constant crashing for rock genre

By "constant crashing", do you mean riding on the crash? I have 16, 17, and 18 A Custom projections and they all sound good, but I like the 17 the best.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:09 AM

Default Re: What 18" crash would be suitable for constant crashing for rock genre

I mean literally crashing on it throughout the whole chorus.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 AM

Iv been using my 16" zildjian zht crash for it but I need something bigger with a good enough sound to cut through
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure where you're located but the best bet wold be to check out Craigslist or Ebay and find a 18" used crash, preferably one that looks somewhat new.

I'd check out either the Zildjian A crash or the Sabian AA or AAX. Very popular rides and you should have no trouble finding a good deal on a used one.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 AM

Thanks I will check it out!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 AM

I use an 18" zildjian A custom Fast crash. It's good for repetitive crashing because it doesn't swell up like regular A customs will.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think I've ever heard an 18" crash that wouldn't work in that role (thick/thin, b8/b15/b20, whatever). I prefer larger cymbals (18" +) but have crashed away on cymbals as small as 15" and the point still gets across (though not quite as loudly). It's not all that different than bashing away on open hi hats if you think about it.

One the thick vs thin consideration: thinner cymbals work well but you have to play straighter 8ths volume-wise to keep the dynamic up since they decay so quickly. Thicker cymbals work just as well and give you more room to relax since their inertia will help keep them loud between quarter notes.

Beyond that, only thing you really need to care about is that cymbal sounds good - to you.

My Band
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly! View Post
I use an 18" zildjian A custom Fast crash. It's good for repetitive crashing because it doesn't swell up like regular A customs will.
I have a 14", 16" and 18" Zildjian A Custom, but rarely use the 18" because it takes up a lot of space on the kit and it rings for a long time.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

I'm sure each company has a great crash that can be constantly crashed. It's like asking what is your favorite kind of chocolate. If you're going to be constantly crashing it, you'd probably want something higher end because you'll be hearing that thing constantly crashing.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson93 View Post
I'm looking to buy a new 18" crash cymbal to use for my band, we play pop rock which requires a lot of crash use in the choruses. I have the Zildjian 18" A custom crash in mind. What you think?

Sam
I have 16, 18, 20 A Custom crashes on my kit. I actually use the 20" for constant crashing. Has a nice longer ring to it, and the tones nicely linger throughout the chorus.
I have it positioned right over the ride so I can choose either option.

It's kinda beastly and powerful though at that size.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to have a good think about it, I want a great sounding crash which will cut through the guitars
Old 01-27-2013, 12:27 AM

Go bigger! I am a big fan of the Sabian AA Metal-X. Not sure if they still even make them. I have been out of the game for a while. They are thick enough that they can take a beating, but not so thick that they are clunky sounding or brittle like I find Z customs to be. Zildjian A cst, Sabian AAX are great for it too.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 AM

I have 17" and 18" Paiste 2oo2 crashes and I love them. Especially the 18" really inspire me. The 2oo2 crashes are very bright and cutting (e.g. Bonham used them) and they're perfect for the kinda rock/pop/studio setting I'm in. I think they sound like they've already been EQ'd and compressed, even though you're just playing them raw in your basement. Check them out.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 AM

Depends on the sound your looking for. I think what your describing is called wash riding. Medium thin crashes are great for rock. I love my sabian studio crash but you should compare a few online and in store to decide what sound fits best with yourstyle and other cymbals
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 AM

What would be better for me. Zildjian avedis custom 18 crash or Zildjian avedis 18 medium thin crash?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson93 View Post
What would be better for me. Zildjian avedis custom 18 crash or Zildjian avedis 18 medium thin crash?
Only you know what would be better for you. You need to try and play both to see which one you like better. Probably the biggest difference between the two is that the Medium-Thin A is heavier than the A Custom (thin).

I did the same comparison recently and came away with the A Custom, but I've had both in the past and don't think you could go wrong with either, though the As typically have more variation from one cymbal to the next than the A Customs, so there's that to consider.

My Band
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I'm sure each company has a great crash that can be constantly crashed. It's like asking what is your favorite kind of chocolate. If you're going to be constantly crashing it, you'd probably want something higher end because you'll be hearing that thing constantly crashing.
My favourite is Reese's Peanutbutter cups!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Whatever one you like, I suggest you get two.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Whatever one you like, I suggest you get two.
It's probably better if the hi-hat bottom is slightly thicker than the top. ;)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 PM

go to youtube and type in the crashes you think you are interested in. you can narrow down your choices from there. then go to guitar center and try them out. when it comes to finding your sound there is no "better" or "best" choice. its whatever sound fits you and your style
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

I like the 18-inch A Custom Fast Crash.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

Sabian 18" Vault V-Crash. Check it OUT from 0:25 I ride it constantly. It cuts through everything and it's the perfect crash imho.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Make sure you get something that's washy but not too thin, Zil's A should work great.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

I vote for a 6" splash with massive amplification....

I gotta try that...

I actually like the sound of a 16" very thin crash for riding...The faster decay makes a quarter note ride have a nice pulse to the amplitude at the tempos songs of that nature are usually found.(I always use Spirit Of Radio by RUSH as the template)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

I won't leave home without my Sabian 18" El Sabor, has a great bell and works equally well as a ride, it has many textures, very versatile. I was jamming with some buds a few years back and it was essentially a kitchen jam, very spontaneous. We played blues. rock and free form and all I used was this cymbal with a converted floor tom as the bass, hi-hat and snare.
I know it is very subjective but I truly love the versatility; I should mention that when you crash it you know it; nice decay as well.
My 2 cents; consider it if you see one in the shop
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 AM

My main "riding" crash is an 18" Sabian AAX-plosion crash. Does exactly what I need it to do.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnygrabber View Post
My favourite is Reese's Peanutbutter cups!
Nice. One of my all time favs too. Have you tried the Big Cup? even better.

back to the cymbal...

I also use an AAXplosion (19"), but mine is a secondary ride and if I do use a crash for a ride, it is that one that gets used.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 AM

Paiste Signature 18" Power Crash... I am in love with this cymbal. It is cutting, powerful, shimmery, great bell! It is perfect for my needs.
-A few snares