DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 AM

Default Any big name drummers do something to rub you the wrong way?

I'll give you an example. This was way back in the mid 90s when I was living in Oregon. I went to a local music store to see John "JR" Robinson giving a clinic. During the Q&A after he was done playing, some parents of a young would-be drummer asked his opinion of what would be a good set for him to get started on. Back then, JR was a Pearl endorsee, so of course it's to be expected that he'd mention a Pearl kit, like a set of Imports or something. But all of a sudden he went on a big sales pitch for a Masters Custom kit like the one he was playing on... for a kid who looked to be 10 or 12 and from what I understood, hadn't even started playing yet. What an ass! Here are some parents asking for some honest advice, and he's acting like a used car salesman trying to get them to spend thousands on a top-of-the-line pro kit. That really irked me back then, and obviously, I've never forgotten it. So when I went to the DrummerWorld home page just now and saw a video of his at the top, I couldn't help but to start this thread to vent a bit, and to see if anyone else has any similar stories.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Any big name drummers do something to rub you the wrong way?

As a pro drum tech ... no, all of the guys i ( we) service a the opposite.
As a parent to & as an ex owner of a music store, your right that attitude so sucks.

Simon
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

I guess when you ask clinicians questions way below their pay grade, you're going to get all kinds of unsatisfactory answers. This reminds me of the time Bob Berg and Mike Stern were playing at my school; in the clinic an ed major, having no idea who they were, invited them to “tell a little something about themselves” during the Q&A. Berg told him to read his printed bio included in the program, and commented “It's not a stupid question; it's just stupid for us to answer it.”
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Quite the opposite, the only year I was in UTA drumline (1981), we had Dennis Delucia come do a clinic with us. The guy was fantastic - not only drum-wise, as expected, but an all around great guy. Just a really cool cat who carried himself well and acted like a true professional. During the clinic he was all business, but on breaks and afterwards he was a cut up like the rest of us.

I had forgotten that until your post.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

I think it boils down to drummers who are educators versus those who aren't. Educators are accustomed to answering all sorts of questions while many of the top pros who don't have experience teaching are caught off-guard or don't feel like they need to be especially accommodating.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Well remember that he may have been required to do a sales pitch and while it was still inappropriate, it was an opportunity to do what his contract might require him to do.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Compactness View Post
Well remember that he may have been required to do a sales pitch and while it was still inappropriate, it was an opportunity to do what his contract might require him to do.
I can totally see him pitching Pearl drums, just not these drums for this particular instance. Perhaps a better way of handing the situation would have been to suggest a set of Imports or Forums or something along those lines, but then go on to say that as he progressed, he could move up the ladder and then go on to explain how Masters Customs would be the ultimate goal as a professional or experienced drummer. That I would have been totally cool with. But the way he handled it, with no empathy toward providing the parents with an appropriate or even realistic answer, still peeves me to this day (obviously, since I created this thread). It's one thing to promote the products you endorse, but it's something else entirely to WAY oversell to the point of acting like a used car salesman.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe it was a set up. And they were "mystery shoppers" from Pearl sent to test if he would talk up the drums they gave him. He saw though the ruse and gave them the spiel.

I don't begrudge any working/touring pro an occasional bad day. It's a hard life, and trying to make a few extra bucks sitting in a music store answering stupid questions like "how do you play so fast?" can wear one down.

No doubt there are egomaniac head cases out there. But most working folks I've had the occasion to hang with outside of public appearances are totally cool. Even ones with typically chilly public personas.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

At a Neville Brothers show, Willie Green was playing an electric kit! Ruined it for me, definitely rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvia View Post
I can totally see him pitching Pearl drums, just not these drums for this particular instance. Perhaps a better way of handing the situation would have been to suggest a set of Imports or Forums or something along those lines, but then go on to say that as he progressed, he could move up the ladder and then go on to explain how Masters Customs would be the ultimate goal as a professional or experienced drummer. That I would have been totally cool with. But the way he handled it, with no empathy toward providing the parents with an appropriate or even realistic answer, still peeves me to this day (obviously, since I created this thread). It's one thing to promote the products you endorse, but it's something else entirely to WAY oversell to the point of acting like a used car salesman.
Other thing to keep in mind is: Yes he was representing Pearl but he is not a sales person and probably isn't well versed in all the lines, let alone the price points. he was there for his expertise in playing, not his ability to sell drums.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Other thing to keep in mind is: Yes he was representing Pearl but he is not a sales person and probably isn't well versed in all the lines, let alone the price points. he was there for his expertise in playing, not his ability to sell drums.
Exactly my thoughts.

Was he even aware of the retail price or that there were cheaper lines available? Who says he had much experience with either? JR doesn't strike me as the calibre of player that has to walk into a retail store and haggle for a deal.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

Opened up for Grand Funk a couple of years ago,waited backstage for them to finish their set. I wanted to have Don Brewer sign a GFR T-shirt I paid $30.00 for. I loved GFR when I was younger and always liked Don's drumming.

He came into the dressing room and on the way out the door I asked him if he would sign my shirt, he did make a weak effort and said the pen won't work and just walk out of the room. Lost total respect for the guy that day. By the way the rest of the band could not have been nicer.

On the flip side, Todd Sucherman is a real class act.

Last edited by 2bsticks; 01-05-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: add on
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 AM
Platinum Member

I wrote Vinnie Appice a fan letter back in the early 80's and he never wrote me back. I was so bummed out.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 AM
Anthony Amodeo

I first saw Rush live in 1989......when they played YYZ Neils kit spun around and he played some weak ass solo on an electric kit

I was 15 and disappointed ....and quite frankly rubbed the wrong way

I wasn't really a Rush fan at all....but I was a drummer and at least wanted to see this guy I had heard about for years do something to impress this young gentleman up in the nosebleeds

I had heard the Exit Stage Left version for years that rubbed me in a more pleasant way

:)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I've come across many no-name or small time drummers that offend me in some way, but can only think of one celeb drummer who was needlessly rude: Joey Kramer of Aerosmith. It was in a few situations where he should have just been normal, just one of the guys, and not on. I later asked a few people in the know about him, and they said that he's 1) a star, and 2) fried. Still no excuse, although it does kinda explain the title of his book, "Hit Hard". I suppose so.

Normally, the bigger they are, the nicer they are. But Joey is a real exception. I still joke about it with the people involved, but it's really not funny. If I ever get that way, please shoot me.

Bermuda
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Mike Portnoy at a clinic. Spent the first 10 minutes complaining about the gear that didn't show up for the clinic that was supposed to be there (not sure what else he needed, looked like the identical kit that he was using on tour at the time. this was back after the Awake album) then in the middle of the clinic started a bash session on Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and a few others. Then tore into Rush bad mouthing them for them not blessing the 2112 project he put together, recorded and finished without any input from Rush then expected them to give praise and their blessing.

After that night didn't care if I ever heard him play again, lost any and all respect I had for him!! Total arrogant, self absorbed clown!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
I see your point, but I don't buy it. Even if he didn't know how much those drums are worth (which, I suppose, is entirely possible), as a professional drummer, you know what professional-level gear is vs. entry-level gear. And you know that pro gear is a LOT more expensive. So even if he didn't know the price points, there's no way he wouldn't have known that he was recommending an expensive high-end kit for a beginner.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Mike Portnoy at a clinic. Spent the first 10 minutes complaining about the gear that didn't show up for the clinic that was supposed to be there (not sure what else he needed, looked like the identical kit that he was using on tour at the time. this was back after the Awake album) then in the middle of the clinic started a bash session on Tommy Lee, Lars Ulrich and a few others. Then tore into Rush bad mouthing them for them not blessing the 2112 project he put together, recorded and finished without any input from Rush then expected them to give praise and their blessing.

After that night didn't care if I ever heard him play again, lost any and all respect I had for him!! Total arrogant, self absorbed clown!
Yeah, I pretty much have the same feelings toward Portnoy. I happen to own a 7" Sabian Mike Portnoy Max Splash, which I actually found a while back (hence it's my only non-Zildjian cymbal). Just last week I discovered a small crack in it, so now it's only a matter of time before it goes. I love the sound and 7" size (which unfortunately Zildjian doesn't make), as I have it inverted over my 17" crash and that size seems to "fit" it perfectly. So I'm tempted to just buy another one, but I really hate the thought of Portnoy getting any proceeds or royalties out of it. So now I'm pondering my options – perhaps a 7" Weckl HHX Evolution?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 AM
WFD Champion

Well...I'm sure most of "us" drummers who want the spotlight would tremble at the thought of OUR names being brought into this... but ya know what?! ...if they did rub you wrong...teach those guys a lesson in manners ...here...with your words and your passion...

MY biggest "WTF" ..was at namm 2007... I had JUST broken a WFD world record...and I was flying so high...running around namm headhunting any familiar famous face I could find...and I bump into.... (drum roll please)

CARMINE APPICE!!!

Well... of course I want to meet him...and talk...even if only for a min so he knows I exist!!! ....well..In the first 5 seconds of "hey youre carmen! how are you!? " ...he replied..."good good...but gimmie a sec" ...he then... proceeds to stroke his powerstache...and then take pictures,...of HIMSELF...with his cell phone...while im on his glorious pause button...made me feel 2 inches high... but let me tell you Carmen...legend or not... your attitude sucked and your drumming is NOW mediocre at best...so sleep tight with your moustache and limos a$$hole. :)

Love Mike.

Last edited by Bernhard; 01-03-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling... "Carmine"!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
audiotech

Only some of the ones that are brought to my attention on such boards as these. I really don't have favorites, at least favorites that are alive, to have to worry about their rampages, lol.

Dennis
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

There are just way, way, way, way too many stories like this about the guy.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Machine View Post
Well... of course I want to meet him...and talk...even if only for a min so he knows I exist!!! ....well..In the first 5 seconds of "hey youre carmen! how are you!? " ...he replied..."good good...but gimmie a sec" ...he then... proceeds to stroke his powerstache...and then take pictures,...of HIMSELF...with his cell phone...

did he talk to you after taking the picture? it sounds like you interrupted him. If he didnt talk to you when he finished i could see tour point.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Not really, although Jojo was a bit grumpy towards my son at a UK event I attended a few years ago.

I'd like to spin a positive though. At this year's London Drum Show, Derek Roddy took time out to come to our stand & meet up with some forum members. He'd been caught up signing autographs for longer than expected, but instead of leaving the show, he took time to hang with the guys after the show had closed. Not only that, he's one of the most accommodating & personable guys you could ever wish to meet.

I meet many high profile players, & it is indeed rare to find one who's a complete dick. Ok, sometimes these guys are very busy, sometimes (like all of us) they're pressured by something, but in the main, they're good guys. TBH, if you want to be successful in this game, being personable is a skillset on par with playing ability. Dicks rarely get work for long, but of course, there's always exceptions.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
The Old Hyde

Andy thats cool to hear about Derrick. Just from this forum he sounds like a down to earth guy. He even posted condolences and prayers to Larrys thread.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM

About ten years ago, one of my all time favorites,Deep Purple`s Ian Paice during his drum solo stopped playing threw his hands in the air and had a complete brain fart.I thought, wow Ian Paice ran out of ideas or he`s not feeling well.It rubbed me wrong that I had the fleeting image of me doing a Keith Moon tackle move on him and finishing the solo.-KH

Last edited by K-HOVLAND; 01-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Machine View Post
Well...I'm sure most of "us" drummers who want the spotlight would tremble at the thought of OUR names being brought into this... but ya know what?! ...if they did rub you wrong...teach those guys a lesson in manners ...here...with your words and your passion...

MY biggest "WTF" ..was at namm 2007... I had JUST broken a WFD world record...and I was flying so high...running around namm headhunting any familiar famous face I could find...and I bump into.... (drum roll please)

CARMINE APPICE!!!

Well... of course I want to meet him...and talk...even if only for a min so he knows I exist!!! ....well..In the first 5 seconds of "hey youre carmen! how are you!? " ...he replied..."good good...but gimmie a sec" ...he then... proceeds to stroke his powerstache...and then take pictures,...of HIMSELF...with his cell phone...while im on his glorious pause button...made me feel 2 inches high... but let me tell you Carmen...legend or not... your attitude sucked and your drumming is NOW mediocre at best...so sleep tight with your moustache and limos a$$hole. :)

Love Mike.
I've met Carmine a few times,and my experience was the complete opposite.

While he can be a little self aggrandizing at times,he's paid his dues and wouldn't still be in the game if he was constantly being a dick.Guys like that,no matter how good they are,usually get left at the side of the road,and thier phone stops ringing.

He does free clinics and is involved in music education for grade school children in the NY City public school system.Not many people know that about the guy.

He's been a working pro drummer and educator since the late 60's.He's a published author of one of the better rock drumming books out there,so I wouldn't describe his skills as mediocre.

Steve B
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Well at first I didn't think I had a story but in fact I do. Only because I just found out that Lenny Kravitz also considers himself a drummer. Had no idea. Saw his mug in a Ludwig catalog.

So Lenny and band come on after a killer opening set by The Black Crowes. This was mid 1990s. Lenny comes on with electric guitar strapped on. In middle of hisfirst song something happens with the sound or his guitar is not working, I forget. Lenny proceeds to do a Pete Townsend and takes of the guitar and smashes it on the stage repeatedly. Like a big crybaby. Then a minute later composes himself and says .. "sorry guys, it's all cool...peace and love...blah blah...". Weird.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Well at first I didn't think I had a story but in fact I do. Only because I just found out that Lenny Kravitz also considers himself a drummer. Had no idea. Saw his mug in a Ludwig catalog.
He's actually a pretty decent drummer, especially considering drums aren't his primary instrument. If you listen to any of his solo albums, that's him on drums (and nearly every other instrument, for that matter). In his videos from a while back, he used a bunch of other musicians to make it look like a full band, including Cindy Blackman (or should I say Cindy Blackman Santana) on drums. But it's him. Check out his album Circus for some good examples of his drumming.

Last edited by edvia; 01-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 PM

Just about everything Mike Portnoy has done/said in the past 2 years.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-HOVLAND View Post
About ten years ago, one of my all time favorites,Deep Purple`s Ian Paice during his drum solo stopped playing threw his hands in the air and had a complete brain fart.I thought, wow Ian Paice ran out of ideas or he`s not feeling well.It rubbed me wrong that I had the fleeting image of me doing a Keith Moon tackle move on him and finishing the solo.-KH
What you do learn from this instance, is that even the good guys are human, and can have a bad day, and I would imagine he would have felt pretty bad not being able to complete his solo....(granted some guys seem to have worse 'bad' days) but it does make you realise that they are not deliberately aiming to ruin anyone's day, once in a while it just happens, and if you're in the public's eye, it's going to be noticed more.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM

Billy Cobham!!!

He came and did a clinic and mannnn was it a let down. it was so bad that no one was clapping and he kept playing and playing until a few people said woohoo, he then stopped and jumped off stage so he could at least end with someone clapping. His playing made me question why so many like him. Believe me I can sit and enjoy the most basic drummers but wow was his stuff boringgggg. He even pulled out 4 sticks and kinda played around but I was thinking, "you don't ever do something flashy unless you are a MASTERRRRR at it because if you fail while trying to be flashy it is really bad" He failed and it was bad.

Thennnn when he took questions one guy was a big fan and billy got smart with him and short because the guy was pasionate about billys history and technique and had asked Billy some in depth questions. Total waste of my time. You couldnt melt and poor me at another clinic of his. He didnt even tell us thanks, by, see yalater. Right in the middle of Q and A his wife walks in and says we gotta go and he just walked right out. It was kinda weird watching everyones head in the room turn slowly as he left. Weirdest clinic I have ever been to.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
WFD Champion

Heheh Sorry Bernhard...didn't intend to misspell Carmine.

As for did I interupt him? ...probably.

Did we talk after?...no because I got my picture and left immediately...I honestly had no interest in him after that...It's not like he said "excuse me"...or "sorry about that".

Justifying someones actions...especially rude actions...with their credentials from the past...to me...is just silly... and YES...he's been a legend longer than I've been breathing...but thats how TORCHES work in this world...you pass them on... for me its all about respecting that we ALL have paid our dues...drums aren't easy physically/mentally/socially... we got each other...and thats pretty much it!!!

I'm sure..I hit that 1 out of 9000 times he'd ever act that way to anyone... but it did happen...and I guess I needed to vent it... hopefully I'll meet Carmine again sometime and we'll shake hands with respect...not this Master and Dog bs you're using to justify...

AND lets not forget...Drummers...arent curing Aids or Cancers...we're professional Jesters in the REAL world.

Mike
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Mike Machine,
that was me ;-) You know, to post under my own username I have to switch accounts as working in "Bernhard mode" (what I'm doing most of the time) gives more access/power to fight spam while those folks are registering (thus, actually just a small percentage slips through). I do try to switch accounts or at least leave some info on the respective posts being edited by Arky though. Haha.

Yeah, learn to correctly spell those legendary drummers and I won't have to mess with people's posts ;-)

EDIT
Damn - I've overlooked some spelling mistakes and just corrected it at one spot. Anyway... haha. I see - ya shall have your revenge, Mike! ;-)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM
WFD Champion

I'll spell it right when he's nice to me ;) ...thanks Arky! and happy ny brother!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

This comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njAtqwUvfiU
Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing specific, but the drummer from Weird Al's band is a real jerk.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

He's not a big name drummer...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Not really, although Jojo was a bit grumpy towards my son at a UK event I attended a few years ago.
Sorry to hear that. Jojo tends to be short at clinics. He doesn't teach and it shows. Amazing player though.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Nothing specific, but the drummer from Weird Al's band is a real jerk.
I hear he's an un-reasonably modest jerk, too.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
He's not a big name drummer...
Like you would know? If you were to bask in the greatness of Weird Al's drummer for maybe 5 minutes, you'd probably have an out of body experience or similar religious revelation.