DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 AM

Default Should I continute to take prive drum lessons?

I have been taking private drum lessons for 5 years. I'm at the point where I know what to practice each day. I also play in a band that performs on a monthly basis. With the enormous amount of resources online, I really don't see a reason to take private lesson each week anymore. Can someone shed some light?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Should I continute to take prive drum lessons?

Are you still learning? Is what you're learning still of benefit to you? That's the first two questions I'd ask myself. If I was still gaining benefit out of a weekly visist I'd probably stick with it. If not, maybe it's time to scale back. You don't have to walk away from lessons altogether either. Perhaps just book one a month or every couple of months etc......whatever you feel is necessary for you.

Many of the best players in the world still go back to study from time to time. But by the same account, no-one stays in school forever either. If you think you've got the ability to pick and choose your own material and the know how to apply it, then some time figuring out your own path is never a bad thing either.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 AM

First off, this is your choice, and your choice alone. If you don't think your teacher is teaching you anything new, then drop him. You're giving him your money on the grounds that he will examine and analyze your drumming, find all the mistakes & kinks in your playing, take them out, and set you on a path for improvement. If he/she's not living up to that, then I see no reason why you should keep taking lessons.

Before you cut it off though (if you decide to do so), make sure YOU know what path you want to take. Your teacher will help you stay on the path you want to take with the kit, but IMO, if you don't know where you want your drumming abilities to be 5-10 years from now, it might be best to stay with your teacher at least for a few more lessons.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 AM

I don't think taking a break from lessons is a bad idea. I've gone self-taught since November because I felt like the direction I'm going for (more drumline snare stuff) wasn't the direction my teacher was going (classic rock). So, now I'm getting a new teacher who is rigorous about technique and rudiments etc. Perhaps what you need is a new teacher to mix things up?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswombat View Post
I have been taking private drum lessons for 5 years. I'm at the point where I know what to practice each day. I also play in a band that performs on a monthly basis. With the enormous amount of resources online, I really don't see a reason to take private lesson each week anymore. Can someone shed some light?

honestly this sounds like you may just need someone fresh to study with

it has nothing to to with how good or bad a certain teacher is...... sometimes student teacher relationships exhaust themselves

a fresh outlook could boost you to a whole new level

if you have the slightest desire to continue studying I recommend continuing with a new instructor.......maybe someone who specializes in an area where you feel you need the most improvement

the best way to become a better player is to step outside your comfort zone

as soon as a musician is comfortable rigor mortis sets in

dont get comfortable.......
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM

Don't forget also that one of the reasons to take lessons is having someone with an objective viewpoint who can see issues that you may not be able to. This is one of the big reasons the best golfers in the world have a swing coach. Their coach can see things simply by virtue of being an observer.

From my personal experience, I find myself having to correct a lot of bad habits from "self-taught" drummers. The internet is still by far my favorite educational resource, but there is also a lot of junk out there. Having a trusted advisor to guide your practice can save you years of repetition that leads to nowhere (or heaven forbid, someplace bad).
Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 PM

You have to ask yourself what you get from this teacher. Does he show you something new every lesson? I don't mean books, i'm talking about his personal experience. For example half a year ago my teaches told me he didn't see a reason for me to keep on studying under him cause he just gave me information form different books. He suggested me just to visit him from time to time to get a new book if i didn't know which very book I want to practice.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:29 PM

You didn't mention if there is a particular style you study with your instructor, but a couple of years ago I decided to take a few lessons from an instructor specializing in reggae. I am not actually a fan of reggae, but I thought it would be refreshing to take a look at rock drumming from a different perspective. I still play rock, but I can also approach it with a different perspective. Perhaps trying another style of drumming for awhile? Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

If you're asking the question then it's probably time to stop.

Have a break. It'll be very liberating.

Then when the time is right start again with another tutor.

Cheers
Davo
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

The main thing that lessons taught me was how to teach myself.

I tend now to go once every couple of months to give me idea's of new area's to work on or if I'm struggling with something or want to work on somethig in paticular.

If you've been with one person for a long while always good to maybe try someone else who may have different idea's and a different approach, could open up a whole new area for you but personally I don't think it's neccassary every week and more.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

I was going to say what moontheloon said really - if you are finding things a bit stale with your current teacher then maybe go find another for a fresh perspective. Or maybe find something new to learn with your teacher like different latin styles or jazz if you haven't already. There's always something to learn.

Also what JDemlow said.. I have so many bad habbits from spending a lot of years working on stuff by myself that I am trying to undo with my new teacher. And I did have a lot of lessons to begin with (though they weren't technically oriented enough unfortunately).
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Pocket Full....right on. If you can afford it still, still benefit from it and are still learning then yes..
Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 PM

only you can decide theres so many different genres of music to learn .But if your happy with the one or more than one that you drum to its up to you.What genres do play would you like to learn new styles .Online tutors cant give you 1 to 1 tution or stop you if you go wrong.Can you read drum notation( i dont mean drum tabs) if not that could be a new and very rewarding way to learn .I read drum notation and it opens a new avenue to drumming i find it fantastic