DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 AM

Default How am I doing? (video enclosed - 7 months playing)

Hi Drummer World dwellers :D

I've gained a lot from this community over the past 7 months or so. I thank you all for your help and insight on my journey of drumming! It's been a complete blast so far!

I wanted to provide a video of my playing in hopes that other new drummers visiting this site for the first time might see how they too can progress and enjoy the world of drumming, which is something I often saught when trying to make the decision to begin drumming. Feddback is also welcome! I know my playing has several mistakes in this song, most of which are obvious to me, but all feedback is certainly something I promote!

I have been playing for 7 months now, and just started my first drumm lesson on Thursday of this week. Below is a video link of me playing the song Afterlife by Aveneged Sevenfold. Their drummer, The Rev (R.I.P) was a huge inspiration to me, and is the entire reason I considered drumming as a hobby. I hope you enjoy my video, and please, any feedback is greatly welcomed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMZLvBHVZqk
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: How am I doing? (video enclosed - 7 months playing)

I can't see the video but I can hear it and it sounds to me like you're trying to play too fast too soon. I know we all want to play our heroes' tunes, but maybe you need to find some heroes who play slower for now until you got some precision in your playing?

Kudos on you for putting yourself up to public scrutiny tho

(been playing 5 months, btw)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebe zeit View Post
I can't see the video but I can hear it and it sounds to me like you're trying to play too fast too soon. I know we all want to play our heroes' tunes, but maybe you need to find some heroes who play slower for now until you got some precision in your playing?

Kudos on you for putting yourself up to public scrutiny tho

(been playing 5 months, btw)

That's odd; the video won't load for you, only the audio?

Anywho, there are indeed a few areas where my timing is off, which I believe is the point you are trying to get across in your statement. For the most part though, I felt the timing was pretty good. I can say that I agree in seeing the benefit of playing slower songs to start off; it's certainly foolish of me to dive right into a song of this nature this early. Perhaps I'll try out some Rage Against The Machine and provide another video for feedback =)

Have you found any songs after 5 months of playing that have been of benefit to your learning?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdaven View Post
That's odd; the video won't load for you, only the audio?

Anywho, there are indeed a few areas where my timing is off, which I believe is the point you are trying to get across in your statement. For the most part though, I felt the timing was pretty good. I can say that I agree in seeing the benefit of playing slower songs to start off; it's certainly foolish of me to dive right into a song of this nature this early. Perhaps I'll try out some Rage Against The Machine and provide another video for feedback =)

Have you found any songs after 5 months of playing that have been of benefit to your learning?
Dani California is a good song to mess around with as a begginner
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 AM

You know, it's funny that you posted this. Last night I was driving home from work and "Midnight Special" by CCR came on. It's really simple (I've only been drumming for 2 months), so I've decided to make that my first "play along" song. Playing the beat isn't hard, but getting the (very simple) fills down is rough! To me, at 2 months into my journey, you look like a freaking rock star. Anyway, just 2 cents from a frequent lurker....

happy fun .sig
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

I agree on working on slower tunes to develop your technique and timing. Always work on new phrases and fills slowly to establish accuracy, timing and dynamics then work up the speed. One thing I noticed that might help you with speed later on is trying not to burry the pedal beater into the head. Let up after you strike the note and you will only have the next down stroke on each following kick note instead of lifting and then striking again. Not bad at all keep it up and stay encouraged.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdaven View Post
Me and some mates have got a bit of a band going, messing about with cover versions.

Here's one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQtYy3ou1W0

As you'll see it's quite slow paced. We do faster stuff.

I'm not really into what you'd call rock, but am into drum and bass and that's helping build my speed up, but I'm nowhere near the BPM I want yet in that genre
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Well done, you've come far OB1.

Absolutely no subtlety at all in this song and therefore it's probably not a great choice for a check of your technique. Your singles looked good and the timing was generally fine.

There was a lot of arm movement and you would tire very quickly if all your songs were at this intensity. Try to use your wrists more and less fore-arm movement. Since it's an ekit then there is no sound gain from thrashing the kit so you could play this song more gently but with better technique.

I would move onto to more Pop/funk related tunes with some dynamics and subtlety .

Just my few pence, well done.

Davo
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 AM

Thanks much for the feedback all!

I'm definitely going to start learning some slower / more simple songs very soon! I have my second drum lesson tomorrow, so I've been practising the sheet music my instructor assigned which is challenging yet rewarding! Loving it so far!