DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 AM

Default How to get a clap track

Hey guys, don't know if this is the correct place to post this.. Sorry if I'm off.

I'm looking to get something mounted to the left of my hi hat so I can get a hand clap sound on hip hop and other styles that use the clap track. I know I can get the Octopad, or SPD-S, but I was wondering what's a cheaper way. I small pad to the left with a trigger?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How to get a clap track

I recall BOSS making a product called the Clap Trap years ago. Perhaps you can find one of those on eBay?

I don't know if you can go any cheaper than a Roland SPD or the equivalent from Alesis. I think the Alesis pad is around $300, and the Roland almost $400 (for the old discontinued one).
Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Gold Member

Alesis makes a product similar to those that I have not heard, but is only $250 new.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-P...13-i1397301.gc

Also, you can use one of the older Roland SPD set ups...can't sample, but they have built in sound effects you can use. An SPD-6 or SPD-11 should suffice for you, and may be able to be found on eBay cheap.

There is also a thing they have at my Guitar Center (you may want to check yours if you have one)...I will try to find out the brand and the name, but basically it's two electronic drum pads and a small brain that can be attached to any cymbal stand and added to an acoustic kit as electronic percussion. I want to say that it's pretty cheap ($200 at most, I think), and is just something to have and use for additional effects along with your acoustic kit. I'll try to find out and get back to you.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 06-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Well, in the old disco days the clap track was someone slapping a couple of small boards together. Couple of 1x4s or 2x4s maybe 8-10" long, sometimes with a hinge on one end. I wonder if it would be possible to make up something on a foot pedal you could put on the floor next to the hat.