DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Soundproofing help

Can anyone help me with a source, internet or other, on soundproofing? I'm looking into turning a garage into a practice studio. Because of the neighborhood the soundproofing needs to be almost absolute. What I have found through google is mostly general\generic information and I need more information because of what I need to take into consideration. For one thing I will need a remodeling building permit which will have to include soundproofing plans. The inspectors themselves aren't much help with what I need to do, but real good at telling me what I need to accomplish. For the permit I need the "technical jargon" on sound control in relation to methods used and before the final sign off by the inspector I'll have to demonstrate that the required soundproofing has been accomplished. Another reason is financial. Getting something done right the first time is ususally less expensive then attempting something 2 or more times. I'd also like to pull this off without paying an architect. Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can share.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Soundproofing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv View Post
Can anyone help me with a source, internet or other, on soundproofing? I'm looking into turning a garage into a practice studio. Because of the neighborhood the soundproofing needs to be almost absolute. What I have found through google is mostly general\generic information and I need more information because of what I need to take into consideration. For one thing I will need a remodeling building permit which will have to include soundproofing plans. The inspectors themselves aren't much help with what I need to do, but real good at telling me what I need to accomplish. For the permit I need the "technical jargon" on sound control in relation to methods used and before the final sign off by the inspector I'll have to demonstrate that the required soundproofing has been accomplished. Another reason is financial. Getting something done right the first time is ususally less expensive then attempting something 2 or more times. I'd also like to pull this off without paying an architect. Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can share.
One of the best sites I encountered when I was doing a soundproofing project was the forums at http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php. Settle in with a cup of coffee and start by reading the Reference section in the Studio Construction thread. If you need any more help, drop me a PM but give me a couple of days as I'm travelling over the weekend. But, honestly, that reference section will take you awhile to wade through. The people who populate the forum are very helpful, but prepare your questions with a little gravitas to get the best answers. Some of the guys over there really know their stuff and I was able to direct my builders down to the last details with great results.

I also purchased a book entitled Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros by Rod Gervais. He's a sometime contributor on the site I linked to, as well. His book, and his advice offered in the forum were instrumental in my design and construction of a partial garage conversion. The book has a great section on construction techniques, but largely leans toward design directed at recording/acoustics which I didn't really need. However, the construction advice/diagrams were spot-on.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Boomka
This message has been deleted by Boomka.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomka View Post
One of the best sites I encountered when I was doing a soundproofing project was the forums at http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php. Settle in with a cup of coffee and start by reading the Reference section in the Studio Construction thread. If you need any more help, drop me a PM but give me a couple of days as I'm travelling over the weekend. But, honestly, that reference section will take you awhile to wade through. The people who populate the forum are very helpful, but prepare your questions with a little gravitas to get the best answers. Some of the guys over there really know their stuff and I was able to direct my builders down to the last details with great results.

I also purchased a book entitled Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros by Rod Gervais. He's a sometime contributor on the site I linked to, as well. His book, and his advice offered in the forum were instrumental in my design and construction of a partial garage conversion. The book has a great section on construction techniques, but largely leans toward design directed at recording/acoustics which I didn't really need. However, the construction advice/diagrams were spot-on.
Thank you much Bookma. What you've shared seems to be exactly what I need. Like you I'm not interested in recording acoustics unless it comes as a beneficial byproduct of what I have to do anyway. I plan to quit travelling for awhile and I'd like to get more involved in kit playing and maybe get back into playing since things should be more settled and routine.

I'd also like to find a latin drumming teacher in the central Michigan area. Someone who is a latin style drummer themselves and not a generic, I can teach anything teacher. When I use to take snare lessons, the teachers I had that primarily marched also were always better teachers then the "I can teach everything" teachers. This is for another thread soon to follow I suppose.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

You're question has probably been answered by now, but I've got a friend who built a little jam room in a two car garage, with some two by fours and old thick carpet (and that's the most important thing, thick carpet) and it was galling how well it worked. Even with three guitars, bass, keys, and an awful sounding drum kit, my cell phone could play music louder than what you could hear from that room.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 AM

I'll pile on a few spots that have really good info, although some are painful on the eyes. I doubt anyone of them are going to recommend carpet as your tool of choice. MLV, soundboard, cotton batting, 5/8 gypsum, hat channels, green glue, etc... that's the stuff that performs well and can also result in a decent sounding space.

Start with the acoustic101 pdf as a primer on real sound control techniques. It does a good job of clearing up a lot of misconceptions about how sound travels and what materials and techniques work. It will even help the Build it Like the Pros book go down a little easier.

http://www.truesoundcontrol.com/lite...coustic101.pdf
http://www.soundproofing.org/
http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/education/index.asp
http://www.soundisolationcompany.com...tion-clips.php

And finally, here's a link o my own site where I outlined the plans and critical decisions for the last practice space that I built. The info here isn't entirely complete but it does a good job of walking you through a lot of the detail choices you may encounter and why I made the ones that I did.

http://web.mac.com/julianlove/Site_2/Studio.html
Old 08-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

I used two books:

Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros by Rod Gervais
It's long, lots of technical jargon, and some of it will go over your head, but it's full of good info.

I also used:
KEEP THE PEACE! THE MUSICIAN'S GUIDE TO SOUNDPROOFING by Mark Parsons, which is more straightforward, and also written geared to drummers.

Some of the info in the two books contradicts each other, and neither book accommodates every circumstance you might encounter, but none the less, I read both books several times over when building my studio.

I also ended up using products made by Quite Solution
http://www.quietsolution.com/
Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Just a cross-reference. More info on the for all those drummers practicing in the basement, i ask you... thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=52552

... and forget egg cartons as soundproofing - it's an old muso's tale :)
Old 08-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Check this out as well

http://www.acoustics101.com/
Old 08-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Thank you everyone. After talking to the inspector I had a feelling this was going to involve a lot of research. Maybe more research time then building time. Again thanks.

Polly, I saw, but hadn't read the practicing in the basement thread. I didn't know there was a similar discussion going on at the same time.