DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Default I want to Amplify my Kit?

I want to amplify my kit. I donít play out, I play for fun at home so it doesnít have to be anything insane. I have know idea where to start. What do I need and where is the best place to get the set-up? I donít mind spending the cash to do it right. Any suggestions? Ya it can be a little insane.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
trkdrmr

Default Re: I want to Amplify my Kit?

I took a cue from Todd Sucharman/Zambizzi. I just got my basic recording kit at GC yesterday.

Here is what it is:
- Audix d6 mic for kick
- 2 condenser mics for overhead (left and right)
-1 Shure sm-57 for the snare
- 1 Behringer 1622 6 channel mixer

You will also need cables for the mics and mixer. The mics go into the mixer, and the mixer goes out to an amp or a recording device. I bought the behringer because it was about $400. It has an analog out for stuff like cassette tape, vcr or video cam.

All that stuff will cost about $1,000. If you go cheaper, you will likely end up with pretty poor sound, or have to upgrade at a great cost later.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

Not to bust chops, I'm just honestly curious...why would you want to amplify your kit if you don't play out?

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

And besides that, where does the issue of feedback come into play here? If you're just playing in a small room and have speakers going, the mics are going to try to pick that sound up too.

Trkdrmr, how does your system work?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 PM

This is what makes this forum so great. I may be nuts to spend the cash doing this. That y I'm looking for your friendly feedback.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
And besides that, where does the issue of feedback come into play here? If you're just playing in a small room and have speakers going, the mics are going to try to pick that sound up too.

Trkdrmr, how does your system work?
I'll let you know soon... my Trick kit is on a Fed ex truck, orbiting the town until it gets here today. :)

Incidentally, I did consult a real sound engineer in town, and he put together my system so that it mirrors those he has used on kits before.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Trkdrmr, congratulations on coming home! I hope you've had the recognition you deserve getting back.

As for the recording hmm i don't really see why you need to amplify your drums for playing at home but trkdrmr seems to have the right idea, you don't need a lot of mics for your kit, one for the snare, 1 for the bass and 2 overheads will pretty much suffice. But make sure you get decent ones. Then get a decent 4 channel mixer and output it to the speakers. Do you know what sort of speakers you want?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Trkdrmr, congratulations on coming home! I hope you've had the recognition you deserve getting back.

As for the recording hmm i don't really see why you need to amplify your drums for playing at home but trkdrmr seems to have the right idea, you don't need a lot of mics for your kit, one for the snare, 1 for the bass and 2 overheads will pretty much suffice. But make sure you get decent ones. Then get a decent 4 channel mixer and output it to the speakers. Do you know what sort of speakers you want?
Thanks.. btw: I was interested in recording, but I guess my system would amplify just as well. I only had a rough idea, and it was a sound engineer that works part time at GC that steered me away from a shure kit (sm57 are not good overheads in his opinion as they are dynamic).

I have some Peavey cabs, but would not mind those sweet dynaudio active monitors I heard yesterday.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Not to bust chops, I'm just honestly curious...why would you want to amplify your kit if you don't play out?
Open the windows in your drum room. Your neighbors will help out with any opinions as to whether it is amped up enough.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I took a cue from Todd Sucharman/Zambizzi. I just got my basic recording kit at GC yesterday.

Here is what it is:
- Audix d6 mic for kick
- 2 condenser mics for overhead (left and right)
-1 Shure sm-57 for the snare
- 1 Behringer 1622 6 channel mixer

You will also need cables for the mics and mixer. The mics go into the mixer, and the mixer goes out to an amp or a recording device. I bought the behringer because it was about $400. It has an analog out for stuff like cassette tape, vcr or video cam.

All that stuff will cost about $1,000. If you go cheaper, you will likely end up with pretty poor sound, or have to upgrade at a great cost later.
Ohhh...well....then I guess I won't tell you what I spent on mine. :)

Glad you're home and can enjoy those ridiculously great Trick drums!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Ohhh...well....then I guess I won't tell you what I spent on mine. :)

Glad you're home and can enjoy those ridiculously great Trick drums!
Well, I don't have a cool bubinga finish, but along the same lines: start with a ridiculously good sounding kit.

I was afraid of spending less. The alternatives seemed (on paper) to drop dramatically in capability. I was worried that despite starting with a nice kit, that I'd flub the selection and my kit would sound like a recording of empty beer cans....
Old 01-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Well, I don't have a cool bubinga finish, but along the same lines: start with a ridiculously good sounding kit.

I was afraid of spending less. The alternatives seemed (on paper) to drop dramatically in capability. I was worried that despite starting with a nice kit, that I'd flub the selection and my kit would sound like a recording of empty beer cans....
Can't wait to hear 'em!