DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Default Day to day difference in sound?

The other day my son asked if I could play a part of the song he was listening to on the drums. Psh...piece of cake, I said. Go out and start playing and my drums sound like complete crap. Couldn't tune in to get a decent snare sound, kick sounded like cardboard, cymbals were glaring.
Next day I go out without making any changes and they sound amazing. Kick is deep and punchy, snare is popping and the cymbals sound so smooth. I played for 2 hours and didn't want to quit!
There wasn't a drastic change in the weather or humidity or anything.
Wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Any idea what would cause this, or maybe it's all in my head. Strange.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Day to day difference in sound?

Happens to me all the time. I think it happens after a rest - our ears can appreciate the tones more if they have been allowed to recover from the last beating.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

alparrott makes a good point. What were you listening to before you played the drums on each day?
And what time of day was it. Maybe your ears were tired on the first day but not on the next day.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 PM

This happens to me sometimes. I'm sure weather has some to do with it. Mainly our ears and bodies. Wearing earplugs when playing seems to level things out from day to day.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

I am not a psychologist, but for some reason i can imagine that our state of mind maybe also has influence on how we hear things or at least on how we appreciate those sounds..

Maybe that can also be a reason why the one day something can sound nice and the other day the same thing can sound horrible..

Just a thought, maybe there is a doctor here who knows more about that..
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolsoul View Post
I am not a psychologist, but for some reason i can imagine that our state of mind maybe also has influence on how we hear things or at least on how we appreciate those sounds..
Imagine if you had a bad case of this problem. You would have difficulty with picking out a drum set that you liked the sound of. Have any of us purchased a great sounding drum set and decided later that we did not like the sound of it? Ummmmm yeah.

I've pretty much given up trying to find that "perfect" sounding drum kit after I discovered how different my current drum kit sounds when it is played in different venues and different rooms.