DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:29 PM

Default Pain in right shin while bass drumming

I'm dealing with an annoying issue right now and need some help. This never happened to me in my 4 years of playing metal but for some reason it's been nagging me for the past month every single time I play.

When I play, there's a lot of pain in my right shin (my right foot is my lead foot), mainly when I blast beat it comes up a lot. But I also get it while doing double bass sometimes. The pain will come up pretty much immediately, like a few seconds in, and only gets worse as it goes on.

I don't think it's a technique issue because my technique never changed and I never used to get this, plus my left foot is fine while doing fast double bass. It's really frustrating because I'm recording with my band in a few weeks and I feel like I won't be ready, even though my hands are smooth atm and everything else feels solid.

Anyone have any ideas/deal with similar issues? I really hope I can figure it out, I've tried everything including different techniques, throne position, posture etc. Nothing worked.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Pain in right shin while bass drumming

Have you not see a doctor in the last month that it has been bothering you?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Seat height.

Either your seat height has changed without you realizing it, or you need to make a change.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Seat height.

Either your seat height has changed without you realizing it, or you need to make a change.
I've messed around with that a lot believe it or not. First I thought it was because the seat was too high, so I lowered it and it felt slightly better, only for it to become just as uncomfortable as before. So after switching back and forth to test it, I've come to no conclusion.

For this kind of pain would it be better to go higher or lower?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

It sounds like shin splints. See a doctor? .....or at least take a break from heavy drumming for awhile and see if it helps.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Shin splints occur when you work your calf muscle more than its opposing muscles.

Stretch by standing with your toes on a curb and strengthen by applying a force to your instep and pulling your foot back
Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 AM

I had acupuncture for a tendon problem in my elbow, which a physiotherapist said was incurable. Five sessions later, no problem.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
It sounds like shin splints. See a doctor? .....or at least take a break from heavy drumming for awhile and see if it helps.
I probably should. What kind of doctor should I see for this kind of thing
Old 06-04-2018, 02:19 AM

First off, I'm not a doctor. I have been playing metal for 20+ years and have run into this before, with myself long ago, and drummer friends more recently. I think there's a couple of things that could be going on, but first a few questions to help us figure out what the issue could be.

Have you been playing more, or focusing on blasting more in the last month?

Do you play heel up or down?

What tempos are you playing at, what's your max tempo, and what are the tempos of your band's songs?

Other than changing your seat height, did you change any settings on your pedals, sit closer or further away from you pedals?

Are you tensing up when you play, and are you breathing normally?

DW, Sabian, Axis, Gibraltar
Old 06-04-2018, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC DEATH View Post
Do you play heel up or down?

Other than changing your seat height, did you change any settings on your pedals, sit closer or further away from you pedals?
This. If you are heel down and too close it is physically harder to pick up your toes. If you are heel up and too far away you are fighting your legs natural need to put your foot back under you. Basically you are doing seated calf raises with your pedal.

Also check to see if possibly your seat has moved itself off center, thus making your feet slightly askew.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

1 see a DR
2, seat height, spring settings, beater distance, head tension, technique, could all play a factor. how fast are you playing? speed is achieved from relaxing while you play. so if you are tensing up twitching out those notes that could be the cause.

we would need to see a video or 2, to notice anything weird. one from close to the foot, one further back to see how your sitting.

then lets know your batter head tension, spring tension, etc... how often do you practice? every day? for how long? how long have you been working double bass?

I am getting some elbow pain/tennis elbow from overuse so I am taking a few days off. I know 1.5 hours a day on the pad will do that to me...