DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 09-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Hearing.

I have a problem hearing the music I'm playing along/practicing to for auditions over the drums.I constantly gotta stop to hear if I'm in time, playing the fills in the right spots&endings. I've just recently bought a pair of Shure SE215 but they're NOT loud enough even with volume turned way up,
Any advice, ideas&suggestions?,
As this problem's both annoying, disappointing & frustrating,
Not to mention losing me gigs! :(.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: Hearing.

Could it be possible you have a real hearing problem that you should probably see an audiologist about?

I have Shure SE215's too and they seal in my ears so well I usually turn the music down while I'm playing. I suggest listening to your 215's without playing drums, then taking them off, and without changing volume settings, give it to someone else and have them listen to see if it's ear-splitting loud.

I'm really not understanding your problem as the in-ears are actually blocking outside sound to begin with. I can only think you've suffered massive hearing loss.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Let me explain,
When i 1st started practicing learning songs either for an audition or pleasure,
I originally had my stereo right behind me with speakers on each side of me,
Turned up full volume. I could NEVER hear the music over the drums tried headphones plugged into cassette player&then CD player,
Problem STILL persisted.Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 &used the headphones that came with it temporarily solved the problem. Next bought the Sgure SE215 BEFORE I even started using them to practice I tried them listening to a song in my Spotify playlist even on the loudest setting on both 2 of my brothers smartphones my phone&my sister in laws smartphone they could barely hear ANY song with volume turned way up,
The left speaker is faulty,
Hope this better explains my problem?.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

If there's a problem with the product then there's your answer, I guess.

In any case. With things being as cheap as they are these days som sort of mixer, stand alone or interface, and a pair of closed headphones or IEMs will give you full control of the volume of both your drums and the music, metronome or drum machine etc... you use for practicing. For loud music it's the only way to go. Unless you want permanent hearing damage. For softer playing I guess mixing it up is good.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Are you using the silicone tips instead of the foam tips for the SE215s?

I have the SE215 and have also got Weston UM-1 and now a set of custom Alclairs and they are all loud enough - but for the best isolation (and hearing protection) you need to use the foam tips. What I also did recently was use some earplug silicone (DIY moulded stuff) and put a small amount around a couple of the tip cylinders after cutting off the main part, and I found this makes just as good a seal as the foam tips but with more comfort, and without the associated fatigue and tip degeneration.

You should be able to use SE215s with a smartphone and they will be loud enough - if this is not the case then I would have your hearing checked. In my experience with all three monitors the isolation is good enough that I need my kick drum fed back into my monitors to hear it properly.

EDIT: Missed your second post where you said the SE215s are faulty. Get them replaced (they have a warranty, surely? Don't forget Australian Consumer Law gives you ever right to demand a refund or replacement for a faulty product).
Old 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM

I've booked a hearing test,
I was thinking maybe I need either a IPod &or a monitor (not in ear) but stage monitor ,
Or Remo silent stroke heads&Zildjian L80 cymbals,
Otherwise just be a "hobby drummer"
Someone who just plays drums but's not a drummer (which I was told I was anyway).
Old 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

Regardless of faulty IEMS, this sounds like a hearing problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzodownunder View Post
I originally had my stereo right behind me with speakers on each side of me,
Turned up full volume. I could NEVER hear the music over the drums
Either the stereo speakers are very weak or you play incredibly loud or your ears are shot.

Maybe you could try dampening the drums, playing with a bit less volume and wearing ear defenders over the IEMS.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Assuming that your hearing is OK, here are my thoughts.

I have never practiced with music using speakers for the music. I feel that drums are too loud for that. Unless you play very quietly. Might work with jazz.
Drums are a loud instrument. When practicing with music the first order of business is to dampen the volume of the drums. This is best done with isolation head phones. Headphones that cut way down on the ambient (outside) sound. Earphones that fit into ear molds that have been custom made for your ears also can provide the proper isolation.

Play the drums without music using the isolation headphones. You should be able to hear the drums, but not very loud. It should sound like the drums are not loud and that they are being played in the next room. Now you can add the music into the hearphones. And the music does not have to be very loud. You adjust the level of the music so that the sound of your drums, when played, are just a little louder than the drums in the music. It is a rather difficult balance to find. You need to work with it. But the most important part of this is the first part. That is, lowering the sound level of your drums using isolation headphones.

All of this can also be accomplished using isolation headphones and a mixer. You set up microphones for your drums. Then you mx in the sound of your drums and the music you are playing to. But again the dampening of your drums using isolation headphones is the key.

By the way, I have severe hearing loss. And I can remove my hearing aides, use isolation headphones and play along with music just fine.

Last edited by Hollywood Jim; 09-03-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

I guess you could try playing quieter. If that's impossible, try some isolating or noise canceling headphones. I don't normally recommend those things.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM

I'd say the problem is not unusual:
small stereos don't have the power to outblast drums-so yeah, there are problems hearing the music from them, while wearing hearing protection(I wear construction "ear muffs"$12 USA) I've been thru 3 stereos/tape/cd decks looking for the loudest these past 15 yrs.
My old iPod Touch volume automatically turns down music volume when earbuds are plugged in so I have to manually slide the volume up when playing to the music. Maybe your 'phones have the same thing happen when using earbuds?
I've got 4 sets of earbuds-only 2 work well, so earbuds can cause volume loss, too.
Have you ever played/jammed with other musicians? If you do, have you had problems hearing them?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

I use SE215s too but purchased the Comply foam buds that improve the isolation over the factory buds the SE215s come with. I also use a Rolls Personal Monitor (headphone amp).
Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 &used the headphones that came with it temporarily solved the problem. Next bought the Sgure SE215 BEFORE I even started using them to practice I tried them listening to a song in my Spotify playlist even on the loudest setting on both 2 of my brothers smartphones my phone&my sister in laws smartphone they could barely hear ANY song with volume turned way up,
The left speaker is faulty,
Low volume and only one earbud working would make me suspect faulty wiring or the plug not being fully inserted; maybe a bulky phone case or one with too small a hole for the headphone jack?

If not I would suspect your earbuds being defective. I have pretty serious hearing loss but I've never had a problem with earbuds or headphones in an ipod or phone being too quiet. I do have problems with hearing soft-spoken people, though.

Getting your hearing tested is always a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
I am the best drummer in the world.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

I use Shure SE425, which is basically the same as the SE215.

If you've got a proper seal with your ear, you should have no problem at all. It should feel like an air tight seal, otherwise they are not in properly, or you're using the wrong sized bit on the end for your ears.

You should barely be able to hear anyone talking to you at normal volume if they're in properly, and your own voice should sound weird, like it's coming from inside rather than outside..

Without that seal, the music will sound thin and weak, without much bass.

The only other problem I can think of is you're somehow playing so loud, that you're overpowering them. I'm not sure how you could manage that though! Maybe if the room is very small with concrete walls, the drums very loud, and you're hitting very very hard.

I have to put my drums through the mixer, otherwise they aren't loud enough.

If you are playing at some ridiculous volume the whole time, then you really need to fix that.. Dynamics are a must. I had to play an audition in someones living room the other day, and the vocalist had no microphone.. Unusual yes but it can happen!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

yeah there sounds like there are a few things going on. I'm going to agree with what was said before by others.
First off, OP, definitely should look into a hearing test.

I'd also try and take a drum lesson or something just to have someone judge if you are playing too loud or not. or go to an open mic and see how loud other drummers play compared to yourself.

Finally weird about the shure IEM's. I have the same pair and they are ok for me. I don't have them maxed out. Maybe you aren't getting them in far enough to seal correctly.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:23 AM

Unfortunately, universal in-ear monitors arent so universal.

For myself, my custom in-ear monitors provide a better seal than my shure 215s, and the seal on my customs isnt even perfect!

I think depending on your ear anatomy yiu can be worae or better off with universals. I would recommend custom moulded IEMs, and make sure you are firm with the comoany if they dont seal properly.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

I'd say the in ear monitors are your answer. There are very few isolation headphones that truly isolate well enough to be effective. I'm sure that you can get some decent IEM's for under $100. They're worth it!
billbachman.net
Old 09-29-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I have a problem hearing the music I'm playing along/practicing to for auditions over the drums.I constantly gotta stop to hear if I'm in time, playing the fills in the right spots&endings. I've just recently bought a pair of Shure SE215 but they're NOT loud enough even with volume turned way up,
Any advice, ideas&suggestions?,
As this problem's both annoying, disappointing & frustrating,
Not to mention losing me gigs! :(.
wow cranking the volume all the way up does not solve it anyways! you need to take care of your ears.. !!!!
I would recommend you to get a pair of "peltor" type for practice and later custom IEMs.
If you don't know much about hearing and drums I could redirect you to one of my videos (just to give you some guidace).
Please don't become deaf !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7iQix3U5Rs&t=2s
Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 AM

Many&massive thanks to all for the advice/assistance&help,
I had a hearing test last week &i've NOT expereinced ANY loss of hearing at all! :).Prior my doctor cleaned my ears after using ear drops solidly for a week in both ears,
The audiologist advised&recomended in ear monitor plugs which she proceeeded to make&take a mold of ears &i'll have them in 2 weeks with 25DB filters!,
Hopefully etc i'll now be able to hear&listen to music clearly without risking hearing loss! :).
Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I had a hearing test last week &i've NOT expereinced ANY loss of hearing at all! :).Prior my doctor cleaned my ears after using ear drops solidly for a week in both ears,
The audiologist advised&recomended in ear monitor plugs which she proceeeded to make&take a mold of ears &i'll have them in 2 weeks with 25DB filters!,
Hopefully etc i'll now be able to hear&listen to music clearly without risking hearing loss! :).
So she made custom molds to go on your SE215?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
So she made custom molds to go on your SE215? I will also suggest checking what another member mentioned, make sure that the plug is fully inserted into the jack on your phone. If it doesn't fully seat you won't get good sound. I have to take my case off to plug it into my mixer or it doesn't give off the proper volume and sound.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not only proud of you but also super happy about it!! I understand you will have new IEM? That's awesome!
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM

No they're earplugs with built in DB filter,
I dunno if they'll fit inside the SE215's.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

I found with the SE215 that because it's designed to sit flush with the interior of the ear, that you can only make an 'insert' the length of the stem.

So what I did was cut the bulk of the insert from one of the non-isolating tips, and then use custom earplug silicone to fit it into my ear. I used a tiny amount (about 1/4 the size of a fingernail) 2 or 3 times right on the very end of the stripped insert, and shoved it deep into my ear. This created the basic shape of the ear canal.

Then finally I mixed some more of the earplug silicone and thickened the whole shape around the end so that it created a better seal. The photo shows the end result (please click the link, it's too massive to post inline!).

This has been good enough to use on the motorbike, and is much better in the interim than the foam tips while I wait for my custom IEMs to be returned (they needed adjusting).

https://i.imgur.com/P1vwJpp.jpg
Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Are you sure is not about HOW you are listening to the music?
Do you really feel the music that you want to play?

We (drummers) are pretty used to play without hearing much. (Especially at jam sessions in crappy bars) .. but we can steel "feel" where the music is going, even when playing to songs that we don't know.

I am saying this as i had a pupil with same question and same problem.
We spent time learning how to feel the music in the right way.

Now he is playing without those huge speakers next to his ears and in-ear monitors.

Last edited by mv-drums; 10-21-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: compleated
Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 AM

What's the general consensus amongst drummers as to the 100% absolute, definite, postively BEST available over the ears headphones?,
As i STILL can't hear the music over the drums with my SHURE SE 215,
Now maybe it's my smartphone? (Oukitel K10000),
Just extremely annoyed, dissapointed&frustrated,
Causing me anxiety &depression! :(,
Especially after my hearing test confirmed NO loss of hearing! :(,
Next point will be to try Remo Silent stroke heads&Zildjian L80 cymbals?.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now maybe it's my smartphone? (Oukitel K10000),
There's nothing wrong with your headphones. The SE215's will do the job you need. You might just need upgrade the set up a little. The amp in your phone isn't gonna get you the best results. Get a headphone amp and/or power amp and run it all through that set up.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:00 AM
Silver Member

IMHO, your problem has several variables

1) What kind of music are you playing? if its on steroids and you are hitting everything with all your might, then you might not hear much except your drums even when wearing earphones.

2) What kind of room are your drums in? Small rooms will magnify the loudness of your drums to the point that, again, you might not hear much except for your drums.

3) What kind of playback unit are you using? Many smartphones can't usually put out that much loudness. I don't know of your particular units, but the only way to increase the loudness is to get a headphone amplifier. There are lots of them available for reasonable prices. Just be careful of getting TOO loud as you could permanently damage your ears.

4) What kind of earphones/headphones are you using? a) IMHO, IEMs seal differently from closed headphones. I prefer the latter at home because having something stuck inside my ear without a limiter or compressor scares me.

5) How good at you at LISTENING? Hearing and listening are two different things. In a nutshell, hearing means you can detect a sound. But listening means you can focus on just one or more particular sounds within a sound environment. For example, listening to ones own voice and something coming from outside the body takes more practice than many think. IN the same way, many of us here have had to teach ourselves how to focus on both the sound our drums while playing, and click tracks or guide tracks in the studio.

So your problem may be a combination of these variables.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Sorry, but I disagree that the SE215's can't get loud enough without a headphone amplifier. I have never used any sort of amplifier with any of my sets of IEMs because it's completely unnecessary - if anything you can get away with less volume because of the sound isolation compared to normal headphones.

For one, use the foam tips (not the flexible silicone ones - they're non-sound isolating).

Any modern smartphone or music player, computer, whatever - they should all be loud enough to deafen you through any set of IEMs or earphones.

If you are cranking the volume through your SE215 and you still can't hear them over them drums then a) you are either using the silicone tips and not the foam ones, or b) your SE215's are faulty.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I wear a 25$ pair of sony over the ear head phones with the volume reasonable and do fine. The headphones kill the louder drum sounds and protect my ears and I can hear both music and drums just fine. You don't need to spend a lot. You can also use in ear buds with shooting or equipment over the ear protectors over the ear buds. But I dont try and play stadium volume in my drum cave.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a couple of ideas to check to see what's up with your SE215s. First, can you hear okay with other headphones plugged into your phone? That should clue you in to whether your 215s are broken. Do they work well with something else, like your computer? Then it's something to do with phone settings.

Another possibility (and this is really gross, but true) - because the 215s are open-canal, they do get jammed with earwax easily. That will prevent sound from coming through. There's a little tool in the case that's meant to help clean out the canal safely.

After my 215s quit working I ended up ordering a pair of MEE Audio M6 Pro monitors. They have a closed canal, a wider diaphragm, a replacement cable, and work really well with Comply foam tips. They are also half the price of SE215s.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Here is my advice.

If I want to put my bands tunes in the PA system in the basement for drumming to I need to CRANK it super super loud. and still it's tough to hear... So A stereo by you being hard to play with is normal.

second, IEM's should make a good seal. With a proper seal you can usually turn down. You say they are quiet even at full blast? that is not a good sign.

Keep in mind Iphones, Android phones, and the like tend to have some built in safety features that don't always allow you to crank em. Usually it stops 3/4 of the way up and asks you if you want to continue.

With IEMS I can crank the music to the point I can't hear my drums usually. It's still hard to play like that but you shouldn't be able to hear your drums and not the music.

This is where an overhead, or a few mics to mix in work perfectly.

Have you tried the over ear cans, or gun range type ear muffs to go over top of the IEMS? that should block out the drums.

Something seems weird here, I play extreme death metal and with the MEE M6 and comply tips I have had zero issues hearing myself. I now use Ultimate ears and they are 100 times better but still, sound quality aside the shures are loud enough. I guarantee.

Don't worry about the "best" over ears, get a set of cheap vic firths to see if they block out the noise for you before spending a ton of cash.

I'd try using a different source such as an Amp, TV, computer, soundcard, etc. Have other people try them also. Something isn't right. Not only are the Shures loud enough, they should sound great too. Try to get someone else to listen to see if they are loud.

Also, your earplugs won't worth with the Shures, but I have a pair of those and they work amazing for gigs and attending shows.

Also, Try some mp3s, youtube vids, and different sources, make sure your tracks are stereo, something is defiantly wrong, or not being used correctly.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Another thing..

do they sound like they are missing low end when you listen to tunes?

They should be quite snug in your ears. if the seal isn't there the volume drops down, low end disapears and sound will leak in. My singer uses the Same IEMS you have and says they are uncomfortable after about 2 hours but they work the best being very snug.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:51 AM

Both MANY&MASSIVE thanks for all of the advice/assistance&help.I had my ears cleaned of wax before i picked up my ear plugs which i DON'T wear with my IEM Shure SE 215's. I'm NOT used to wearing /using them as never had prior as previously typed the ONLY type of headphones i've ever used have been over the ear (Senheisers forgotten the model!).I SHOULD LISTEN to the songs BEFORE i attempt to play them&memorise them.The music i'm both liste ning to &attempting/trying to play is:heavy metal i.e early Iron Maiden, Motley Crue&Twisted Sister.Maybe etc i should attempt&try to play with my drums muffled?, i.e towels over the snare&toms?,
IF THAT STILL doesn't work then either headphone amp or Remo Silent Stroke&Zildjian L80 or over the ear "cans" ?!.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

I'm still not 100% what you're doing?

You say you don't wear your earplugs with the Shure IEMs - are you talking about using the foam tips? If you're still using the silicone tips (the non-isolating ones) then you'll need to use ear muffs as well, which completely defeats the purpose in using IEMs.

There is one issue I've had in the past in using IEMs is that if you have a small ear canal (which I do) and you use the wrong foam tip, the tip itself will compress and block the sound tube from the IEM, which will prevent you hearing the IEM. Use the smallest foam tips that you have available which still seal in your ear correctly.

You shouldn't need to muffle your drums, use a headphone amp, or do anything else. You need to work out exactly the reason why your IEMs aren't doing the job they're designed to do. Whether that's due to a fault with the IEMs or something that's being done incorrectly.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I SHOULD LISTEN to the songs BEFORE i attempt to play them&memorise them.
Yes. Its really difficult to play along to a recording if you don't know the songs. Unlike a live band, recordings will not respond or adjust to you. No amount of fiddling with earphones, speakers, or muffling will help you if you don't know the music.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

I use a pair of cheap IEMs that I off Amazon (MEE audio M6 PRO) with Comply large foam tips to play along to music/metronome off my phone and I have no issues with hearing the music over my drums.

The first thing you want to do is ensure that you're getting a proper seal from the IEMs in your ears. You should be able to put them in and with nothing playing through them they should act as pretty decent earplugs and kill a good amount of the drum volume, If they're not doing that then you need to make sure you're wearing them properly, if you are then you need to look into different tips, I tried the standard size foam tips from Comply and they didn't seal in my ears so I went with the large size and haven't had an issue since.

Once you have a proper seal with them try playing along to music and you should be able to play along with the music without the drums being overpowering with your phone volume at like 80-90%, if that's not happening then look at the music settings on your phone, I know with iPhones you can change the EQ and some of the EQ settings will lower the output volume so make sure that hasn't happened.

If after all of those steps you still can't hear music over the drums then you need to get a headphone amp, you will be able to bump the volume to your ears MUCH louder than you can with just the phone. Just be sure you get a headphone amp that is stereo, if you get mono you'll only get sound out of one ear.

Hopefully you don't need a headphone amp because the last thing you want to be doing is blasting music into your ears!

You've probably already looked into most of these steps if not all of them, just wanted to offer some guidance in case you overlooked something.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Hi BonerPizza,

Just wanted to check that you meant this "play along with the music without the drums being overpowering with your phone volume at like 80-90%"

If I did that with my iphone I would be deaf over I few years I am sure. Did you mean 40-50% ?

Also the iPhone has a volume limit, which I usually set to about half. I know that you note "Hopefully you don't need a headphone amp because the last thing you want to be doing is blasting music into your ears!", but I would say 80-90% is blasting it no?

Cheers

Andy
Old 11-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Ghostnote

When I was a kid, I used to take the old style walkman headphones and put them inside a pair of over the ear, hearing protectors. That would offer great isolation so I could keep the volume of the music I was playing along to down to a reasonable level. You could do the same thing with ear buds.

Last edited by Ghostnote; 11-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 AM

More than likely i DIDN'T have the tips sitting in my ears as they have to &must go OVER&then IN the ear canal itself?,
Also WHERE in AUSTRALIA (Melbourne preferably) can i buy the foam tips from?,
I'll ask my brother to test the IEM &ascertain if it's the volume of my phone compared to his Or as above i didn't have them inserted properley.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

This video may help:

http://blog.shure.com/how-to-properl...ure-earphones/

To be honest, before I had my custom IEMs made I would just search on Amazon, Google and Ebay to find the tips I use (the EABKF1-10S which is the small size). Then I'd just buy whichever was the cheapest.

I would contact Drumtek ( http://drumtek.com.au/ ) and see if they can supply the tips