Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-10-2017, 03:26 PM

Default DUNNETT SNARES

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know your opinions on Dunnett Snare's
Old 02-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: DUNNETT SNARES

They’re nice drums. I have a raw steel 6.5x14 - simple, unvented shell. Versatile, wide tuning range and snare tension range, fat, open sound...
Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

I own two Dunnett snares: a Classic Model 2N 6.5" X 14" Stainless Steel and a Classic 7" X 14" MonoPly Cocobolo.

Wonderful drums.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:09 PM

I had a not-so great experience with mine. First got a bronze snare from him that wasn't round. He finally agreed to take it back in exchange for a monoply shell. I never did find a fit music-wise for the drum and it never felt 'right', in terms of the the way the sticks came off the snare. I finally sold it on ebay.

Funny thing is, about 8 months after I sold it, I saw it again up for sale.

Strictly my opinion, and we all know about opinions, don't we (lol), but I'd recommend adding a few hundred more to the pot and waiting for a Craviotto to come along at the right price. Whatever the wood species, they are really the most wonderful drums I've ever played.

For stave construction, Guru may be the best and most thought-through drums out there. Can't go wrong with either of those two.

Some people really like Dunnett snares, so always take my opinion with a grain of salt. I had bad experiences with them. You may love them.

Good luck with the search!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I've had maybe 10 Dunnetts, and I still have 7 of them, both metal and wood. They may have a particular voice, or just sound like a nice snare. I guess it depends what's needed for the job at hand.

I also have 4 of the Geo. Way snares. :)

Bermuda
Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 PM

I bought a 14x6.5 Titanium back in 09' And am still sad that I did. At the $1,200 dollars I spent for it, it had cheap, off the shelf hoops, tuning rods(one which was bent) and lugs. Even the snare wires had a, " made in Taiwan" sticker on it! The throw off froze up in about 2 years and had to be replaced as well. I tried to contact him several times, to no avail. So, I just ate it and replaced everything but the shell with high end components.

I would recommend a black swamp snare(of any kind) money better spent! The dunnett stuff is made cheap, and over priced(and full of hype, from hi-end people)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

I have a 6.5 x 14 steel snare that's been blued. I love it. Exceptionally well made and sounds awesome! Everyone that I've let play or hear it has raved about it. I bought it last year and wanted to know about the blueing process so I emailed Ron. He responded in two days with a detailed answer. He was interested on my thoughts regarding it and encouraged me to please let him know if I had any other questions or comments about it. I've heard some negative things about Ron but my experience with his drums and his service have been excellent.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

I have a Titanium snare that records to perfection and I just bought (like litterally just now) a 2N brass with deco lugs.

I was going for a specific crash at my lds, and layed some rudiments on that newly arrived 2N and I just had to have it.

To my ears, there is no other metal shell I would rather have than these two.

None. And they sell fast.

The sad passing of Johnny Craviotto made me realize that you may only have a couple of opportunities in your lifetime to become the fiduciary of a unique piece of art built by an exceptional drumsmith. To me, Ronn is one of those great artists.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

I briefly owned a 'Stanton Moore - Spirit of New Orleans' titanium 4 x 14 snare that Dunnett makes....it was the biggest disappointment of my drum purchasing life.
It was just very average - not much to be excited about. No character , no body, not much tuning range. MEH. I have a $100 Mapex that blew it away.
For a $1000 drum, I expect to be blown away. I sold it on Reverb very quickly. Bought an Ayotte custom instead. Much better.

I'm sure there are Dunnett snares out there that would suit me perfectly - I just haven't had the chance to try one.

Lately, my favourites are a Sonor Vintage 5.75 x 14 and a 5.5x14 Craviotto Johnny C.

[14 CREW]
Old 02-11-2017, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
I briefly owned a 'Stanton Moore - Spirit of New Orleans' titanium 4 x 14 snare that Dunnett makes....it was the biggest disappointment of my drum purchasing life.
It was just very average - not much to be excited about. No character , no body, not much tuning range. MEH. I have a $100 Mapex that blew it away.
For a $1000 drum, I expect to be blown away. I sold it on Reverb very quickly. Bought an Ayotte custom instead. Much better.

I'm sure there are Dunnett snares out there that would suit me perfectly - I just haven't had the chance to try one.

Lately, my favourites are a Sonor Vintage 5.75 x 14 and a 5.5x14 Craviotto Johnny C.
I agree Neal, that 4 inch depth would not allow any snare to allow a great sound. A 4in depth johnny c would sound like any pearl popcorn snare as well, wouldnt you agree ? PM me I can probably get you in on some ok deals on some dunnett beauties.

Edit : just to clarify my position, I would add that I tried a spirit of new orleans and it was not for me, nor was the gergo borlai model. They are great snares with a particular voice. Some will like them, some will prefer something else. It's pretty cool actually to have so many models available from great companies. I always craved an ayotte maple snare, but never got the chance to find a good deal on one, always more expensive that a johnny c or other great choices.

Last edited by Groov-E; 02-11-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Ghostnote

I have a 5.75×15 Dunnett stainless steel that is very dependant on the room it is played in to sound good. In some rooms it sounds great, but in most it has this hollow, fudgy sort of sound where the drum sound and the snare sound do not fully integrate. My other drums sound better in some rooms over others too, but don't completely change their character like the Dunnett. Most times I prefer my $200 5×15 Supralite.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
I agree Neal, that 4 inch depth would not allow any snare to allow a great sound. A 4in depth johnny c would sound like any pearl popcorn snare as well, wouldnt you agree ? PM me I can probably get you in on some ok deals on some dunnett beauties.

Edit : just to clarify my position, I would add that I tried a spirit of new orleans and it was not for me, nor was the gergo borlai model. They are great snares with a particular voice. Some will like them, some will prefer something else. It's pretty cool actually to have so many models available from great companies. I always craved an ayotte maple snare, but never got the chance to find a good deal on one, always more expensive that a johnny c or other great choices.
I strongly disagree with this logic. I've heard plenty of 4" deep snares that sound phenomenal. Really depends on the drum
Old 02-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

About fifteen years ago, I bought a 5.5x13 Stainless Steel direct from Dunnett. It had no vent and I could not get the sound I wanted from it. It was very well made and I sold it for what I paid for it in short order.
The Johnny C snares are a great value for what you get. I love my 5.5x14.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarydrumco View Post
I strongly disagree with this logic. I've heard plenty of 4" deep snares that sound phenomenal. Really depends on the drum
Yes, I agree - (sorry Groov-e). I have a couple of 4" depth drums that are just great. The trick is to not tune them like a timbale perhaps. And maybe maple (over steel/titanium) makes the difference in my case.

There is a video on Youtube of Dave Gilmour and pals jamming in his 'garage'...the drum kit in those videos features what I'm pretty sure is a vintage 4" x 14 Black Beauty (1920's) and it's absolutely incredible. Tuned medium/low.

[14 CREW]
Old 02-12-2017, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonzo1 View Post
About fifteen years ago, I bought a 5.5x13 Stainless Steel direct from Dunnett. It had no vent and I could not get the sound I wanted from it. It was very well made and I sold it for what I paid for it in short order.
The Johnny C snares are a great value for what you get. I love my 5.5x14.
By contrast to that Dunnett snare - my Craviotto snare has turned out to be a snare I will have and play forvever. It can do anything. I liked it so much, I bought a whole Center Stage kit.

[14 CREW]
Old 02-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
By contrast to that Dunnett snare - my Craviotto snare has turned out to be a snare I will have and play forvever. It can do anything. I liked it so much, I bought a whole Center Stage kit.
And what a kit it is indeed !

I have yet to find a 4 inch deep snare that I could put to good use. Nothing against the size, but I feel titanium is not put to its best use in that particular depth.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And what a kit it is indeed !

I have yet to find a 4 inch deep snare that I could put to good use. Nothing against the size, but I feel titanium is not put to its best use in that particular depth.
Yes, I think that may indeed be the case for titanium snares - I've heard deeper ones that sound great!

[14 CREW]
Old 02-13-2017, 08:48 AM

The only snares I have ever played have been Ludwig. I own a 6.5 supra, 5 black beauty and a 6.5 Copperphonic. I put up this post as I was looking to branch out into the world of different brand snare drums and today I received my Dunnett 2N Modelling Aluminium in 6.5. It is an exceptionally well thought out and built snare drum. Personally, I think Ludwig make some of the best snare shells on the market but the thing that is lacking is the hardware and modern innovation. It's easy to say these things aren't a big deal but to me they are. Looking around to find information on Dunnett drums the main keywords I found were "Ronn." So I started to dig deeper and half the time all I found was information about some dudes personality rather than DRUMS. I decided to go ahead and purchase a snare and I'm very glad I did!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
The only snares I have ever played have been Ludwig. I own a 6.5 supra, 5 black beauty and a 6.5 Copperphonic. I put up this post as I was looking to branch out into the world of different brand snare drums and today I received my Dunnett 2N Modelling Aluminium in 6.5. It is an exceptionally well thought out and built snare drum. Personally, I think Ludwig make some of the best snare shells on the market but the thing that is lacking is the hardware and modern innovation. It's easy to say these things aren't a big deal but to me they are. Looking around to find information on Dunnett drums the main keywords I found were "Ronn." So I started to dig deeper and half the time all I found was information about some dudes personality rather than DRUMS. I decided to go ahead and purchase a snare and I'm very glad I did!
Good for you my friend. His snares are incredibly powerful yet sensitive, and I consider the hardware to be bomb-proof. Dang my 2n brass is heavy though, not a bad thing but it truly is something else!
Old 02-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Congratulations! You picked a great snare. IMO, the Dunnett 2N Aluminum is everything the Supra wants to be when it grows up lol.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
Congratulations! You picked a great snare. IMO, the Dunnett 2N Aluminum is everything the Supra wants to be when it grows up lol.
You my friend have got a major s$%? storm coming your way. My luddite-dar in bleeping with red dots !
Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
The 2N aluminum is trying it's hardest to be a Supra after Ronn Dunnett poo-pooing flanged edges and beads ad nauseum for years.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
You my friend have got a major s$%? storm coming your way. My luddite-dar in bleeping with red dots !
Lol, lower your weapons. I mean no harm Groove-E. There's a reason the supra is a legend and I respect that. I've owned a supra and have spent a fair amount of time with the 2n. I just feel the Dunnett 2n sounds just as good as a supra but the build quality and hardware of the Dunnett is a few steps above.

All this is just my personal opinion though, which I know doesn't mean much :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
The 2N aluminum is trying it's hardest to be a Supra after Ronn Dunnett poo-pooing flanged edges and beads ad nauseum for years.
To each their own. I respect and understand where you're coming from. It's just from my experience that the 2n is what the Supra always should have been.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know your opinions on Dunnett Snare's
I just came across a Youtube video on a Dunnett Titanium kit and was taken aback by the sound.

Check it out.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:00 AM
Ghostnote

Quote:
To each their own. I respect and understand where you're coming from. It's just from my experience that the 2n is what the Supra always should have been.
Oh, trust me, I'm not one to take umbrage to another's preferences or opinions, nor do I have a fanatical brand loyalty to Ludwig.

In my own experience, when it comes to aluminum drums, anything over and above an Acro or Supra represents a ton of money for extremely marginal gains. Considering the room any drum is played in makes it sound either great or like doggy doo, the room will pretty much trump most other factors. My $200 Supralite sounds much better to me in most rooms than my $800 Dunnett stainless steel.

I am about to get an Oriollo Phantom made for me, but that's because Vukan has spun me a 15" shell, something I could never get from Ludwig or a bunch of other vendors I tried.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Oh, trust me, I'm not one to take umbrage to another's preferences or opinions, nor do I have a fanatical brand loyalty to Ludwig.

In my own experience, when it comes to aluminum drums, anything over and above an Acro or Supra represents a ton of money for extremely marginal gains. Considering the room any drum is played in makes it sound either great or like doggy doo, the room will pretty much trump most other factors. My $200 Supralite sounds much better to me in most rooms than my $800 Dunnett stainless steel.

I am about to get an Oriollo Phantom made for me, but that's because Vukan has spun me a 15" shell, something I could never get from Ludwig or a bunch of other vendors I tried.

Hehe. I think the phantom sounds better than the Supra and the dunnett. What size depth you getting Ghost?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Lol, lower your weapons. I mean no harm Groove-E. There's a reason the supra is a legend and I respect that. I've owned a supra and have spent a fair amount of time with the 2n. I just feel the Dunnett 2n sounds just as good as a supra but the build quality and hardware of the Dunnett is a few steps above.
Rest assured, I am not a luddite.

In fact brand-loyalty is not a consideration at all for me.

I am loyal to my wife, family, friends, employees, clients and community.

When it comes down to drum and sports gear, the beast comes out. Grrrr.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

I have a black 6.5x14 Dunnett Titanium snare, that was given to me as a gift, by Ronn! The drum sounds great, and is going nowhere. ;-)

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Old 02-15-2017, 04:44 AM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemarydrumco View Post
Hehe. I think the phantom sounds better than the Supra and the dunnett. What size depth you getting Ghost?
6.5×15. I've wanted an aluminum drum in that size for a long time, just haven't decided on the colour yet. Once I make a decision on that I'll place my order.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
6.5×15. I've wanted an aluminum drum in that size for a long time, just haven't decided on the colour yet. Once I make a decision on that I'll place my order.
Please post some recordings of low-medium-high tunings. I'm considering getting one too, I love my Bakar.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Please post some recordings of low-medium-high tunings. I'm considering getting one too, I love my Bakar.
Sure thing. I only have a Zoom Q3, but I'll put a recording up when I get the drum.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I totally agree regarding the room making a big difference in the sound.

Congrats on the Oriollo! Would love to hear it sometime when you get it.