DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 11-20-2016, 06:57 AM

Default Upgrading to Session Studio Classic

So I have been thinking about upgrading my setup probably for a while but I thought I'd get a good head start on what I would like to upgrade to. I've thought of upgrading to a Session Studio Classic kit since they seem to give off a good sound when played and also look very beautiful. I've said I've been wanting to get a sound I like on each of the drums (Example: Deep sounding toms like Mike Portnoy has for instance, a dry, crisp sound like say Neil Peart or Alan White, and a punchy sound on the bass drums) but I'll probably just bore people to death with that claim. But I digress, so I really am wondering if getting a Session Studio Classic is really worth the buy. I made another post about upgrading to another kit from my Export but that thread just became a thread about cymbals. I'm not worried about what the wood is used but I'm wondering as to wether like I said, a nice Session Studio Classic is worth the buy.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Upgrading to Session Studio Classic

There's a common theme to many of your threads mate. You don't seem to be looking for advice as much as you're seeking validation for your choices. Given that you'll never get a whole forum of people to agree on anything one way or another, I think you should just buy whatever it is that tickles your fancy. It's inevitable that you'll upgrade despite what you read here anyway. May as well get it over and done with sooner rather than later

Those drums will be fine. Do it, be done with it and be happy with your decision.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

You're not going to suddenly play better on it than your Export. Exports are fine drums.

I would save your money.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

I've heard good comments about the new Sessions, but I've never played them myself. They will definitely be an upgrade, better tone, longer lasting hardware, etc. And the cymbal stands, tom arms, legs and accessories will be compatible with your current kit. I say go for it.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

Well, it is obvious that you WANT to get rid of your Export. So be it. Is the Session Studio the right choice? Well... could be. And maybe not.

I guess that you have all the necessary hardware already, cymbals stand, pedal, snare stand, throne, Hihat-stand. In that case: Ask yourself if you want to get another set of hardware or rather just a shellset. You can get a Pearl Masters BCX shellset (= without hardware) for the same money as the Session Studio Classic set (that is including hardware). If upgrading, to it the right way, get the Masters Shellset. Then you really definitely have a top-level pro-drumset that will definitely never let you down and keep going for decades.

The sound that you are looking for has less to do with the drumshells but with the heads, tuning and muffling that you use. That Export can sound big - if you tune it well with good heads.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

I say go for it. I have one - very versatile and powerful kit. If you are playing rock, you will most certainly be heard if you lay into them. Easy to tune and they stay in tune very well. The bass drum is the best in class - constantly get comments about sound. Great attack and warmth at the same time from the toms and bass drum.

Let's put it this way, I've owned many kits from every price point. This one may very well be my last - it's like my gear search stopped. If you like the sound from first impression, you will enjoy the long road on this instrument.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Ya go for it, and it you don't like that, get another kit. Then maybe move on to another kit. Get this out of your system. Eventually you will find that playing what drums you do have is just as satisfying as upgrading to new ones.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
You're not going to suddenly play better on it than your Export. Exports are fine drums.

I would save your money.
I'm not really thinking about playing like a god on the drums with another kit but I'm only just asking if the buy is worth it and I do love my Exports I just think I should start considering upgrades in the near future
Old 11-20-2016, 05:54 PM
BacteriumFendYoke
This message has been deleted by BacteriumFendYoke.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
I'm not really thinking about playing like a god on the drums with another kit but I'm only just asking if the buy is worth it and I do love my Exports I just think I should start considering upgrades in the near future
I'd say that a decent snare is probably the next upgrade you should really consider. None of the stock snares are much good until you get up to the much higher lines.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
The bass drum is the best in class - constantly get comments about sound.
I'd say: That's highly debatable. In magazines, the bassdrum was listed in the reviews as the only weakness in this set. Hard to tune properly and get a good sound out of it.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

The birch/kapur layup seems like it'd be appealing.
I haven't played them, so it's just conjecture on my part.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

IDK Pearl shells are kind of thick and tubby sounding to me. I played them on my gigs for like 6 years. I played the maple shells, but have owned the birch shells too. 7.5 mm is kind of a thick shell. IMO those shells are designed for loud live unmiced music in a bigger venue. A smaller venue would probably favor a thinner shell for tone when you don't need to project 200 feet unmiced. But I favor thinner shells so I'm a little biased.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Hi BC, I would say if you have the spare money and you can make good use of it, then go for it. Otherwise a good snare is a good start, change heads on the kit, try S-Hoops on your snare or whole kit lastly try different type of wires on the snare. You have a lot of open options if you still like your old kit.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:13 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
IDK Pearl shells are kind of thick and tubby sounding to me. I played them on my gigs for like 6 years. I played the maple shells, but have owned the birch shells too. 7.5 mm is kind of a thick shell. IMO those shells are designed for loud live unmiced music in a bigger venue. A smaller venue would probably favor a thinner shell for tone when you don't need to project 200 feet unmiced. But I favor thinner shells so I'm a little biased.
This is true. You don't get to the cool thin shells until you move up in the product lines.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
This is true. You don't get to the cool thin shells until you move up in the product lines.
With Pearl that only means moving up to Decade Maple...5.4mm is pretty thin in my book.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
I'd say: That's highly debatable. In magazines, the bassdrum was listed in the reviews as the only weakness in this set. Hard to tune properly and get a good sound out of it.
You are right, it's debatable with stock heads (which are crappy UT heads). Maybe it's my tuning, choice of heads, beaters and the way I play but the I got great reviews from studio staff, sound guys, fellow musicians and audience members.

BTW - I use an EMAD I with the smaller muffle ring and Aquarian or Evans basic reso with kickport. Tama wood beaters and a crapload of force :)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:29 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
With Pearl that only means moving up to Decade Maple...5.4mm is pretty thin in my book.
I was thinking Reference Pure, but that would be a substantial upgrade in finances as well ;)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
BTW - I use an EMAD I with the smaller muffle ring and Aquarian or Evans basic reso with kickport. Tama wood beaters and a crapload of force :)
So you pimped your BD quite a lot in order to make is sound good... if it were the best bassdrum in its class, all that would not be necessary. Just my 2 cents.

My good ol' Superstar Birch bassdrum e.g. has only a PS3 clear batterhead added to it, no muffling, not kickport, no special beaters and it gets played with moderate force or pretty softly - and it's a whopping dynamic, fat sounding bassdrum with lots of low end that got lots of praise, too, whereever I gigged with it. You see, it's all relative. ;-)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:28 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
True. I will say the build quality on my Pearl Session Custom drums and my Session Studio drums were top notch. I never had the pleasure to play Pearls high end stuff. Judging from their build quality, my guess is that the thinner Pearl shells would be quite awesome sounding ply drums.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
The Masters complete is the same thickness.. and priced just a bit over the session studio classic.. A pro Beat type 3 piece kit can be had for $1400.00 or so.. I personally love the SSC kits, but for a few bucks more....