DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-05-2017, 10:45 PM
justinxIP's Avatar
justinxIP justinxIP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 73
Default TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Interested in getting a new snare. Currently have a Tama superstar birch snare 14x5.5 and mapex M birch? 14x5.5. My tama snare has served me well but i'm looking for something that can give me a deeper sound.

The TAMA Soundworks Kapur in 14x6 or 13x7 are both very cheap at around $199. Does anyone have any experience with these drums? I've always wanted a 13x7 snare for a nice round, deep sound with some fatness, all while being relatively quiet.

OR

there's the new "limited edition" artwood snares which are maple/birch and they're dirt cheap at $130 in 14x6.5 size. These seem a little gimmicky in my opinion and seem like they're just trying to use the artwood name to sell some cheapos. The artwood has triple flanged hoops which i'm not too big of a fan of.

Looking for any input on either or both drums. I know the DW way is to keep giving your old equipment a chance but I'm overdue for a new snare as i've been slowly upgrading everything else.
__________________
Tama Superstar, Zildjian A Custom, DW 7000, Evans
Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 PM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinxIP View Post
Interested in getting a new snare. Currently have a Tama superstar birch snare 14x5.5 and mapex M birch? 14x5.5. My tama snare has served me well but i'm looking for something that can give me a deeper sound.

The TAMA Soundworks Kapur in 14x6 or 13x7 are both very cheap at around $199. Does anyone have any experience with these drums? I've always wanted a 13x7 snare for a nice round, deep sound with some fatness, all while being relatively quiet.

OR

there's the new "limited edition" artwood snares which are maple/birch and they're dirt cheap at $130 in 14x6.5 size. These seem a little gimmicky in my opinion and seem like they're just trying to use the artwood name to sell some cheapos. The artwood has triple flanged hoops which i'm not too big of a fan of.

Looking for any input on either or both drums. I know the DW way is to keep giving your old equipment a chance but I'm overdue for a new snare as i've been slowly upgrading everything else.
I have a Tama Artwood birch snare and I think it is really well made, nothing "cheapo" about it. Fat deep sound even when it is cranked up. It has a great lacquer finish and came new with Evans G1 heads.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2017, 10:59 PM
justinxIP's Avatar
justinxIP justinxIP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 73
Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I have a Tama Artwood birch snare and I think it is really well made, nothing "cheapo" about it. Fat deep sound even when it is cranked up. It has a great lacquer finish and came new with Evans G1 heads.
I know the artwood snares in the past have been great but these new artwood snares just don't seem to be the same. let me know what you think about this

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAMRSWBR
__________________
Tama Superstar, Zildjian A Custom, DW 7000, Evans
Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

I have this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...4MF-adType^PLA

They look like they have the same lugs but different badges, so they are not the same.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,365
Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Wow. That red mahogany is gorgeous.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 AM
markdrum markdrum is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 622
Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I have this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...4MF-adType^PLA

They look like they have the same lugs but different badges, so they are not the same.
Unless my eyes doth decieve me the pure Birch has 10 lugs. It looks like Tama is doing to the Artwood line what Pearl did to the Sensitones, adding a cheaper line under a similar name. The better Sensitones had "Elite" in the name. It caused a lot of confusion then and appearently Tama is causing a lot now. I have two of the older, 10 lug, Artwoods and they're great drums. Like GruntserDad pointed out, that is one foxy finish.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Wave Deckel Wave Deckel is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,004
Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Well, adding my two cents. Look for a used Artwood Maple 14x6.5 or get an SLP G-Walnut 14x6.5. Those would really be an upgrade if you want a deeper sound, although that Superstar snare (which costs new somewhere around 240 Dollars) is really good if tuned well plus equipped with good heads and good snare-wires. I have one myself and it is a good allrounder that can be tuned quite low and very high.

Listen here for a good Superstar snare, equipped with good heads and good wires. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWaAdGwdzA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2017, 01:30 AM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,043
Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
Unless my eyes doth decieve me the pure Birch has 10 lugs. It looks like Tama is doing to the Artwood line what Pearl did to the Sensitones, adding a cheaper line under a similar name. The better Sensitones had "Elite" in the name. It caused a lot of confusion then and appearently Tama is causing a lot now. I have two of the older, 10 lug, Artwoods and they're great drums. Like GruntserDad pointed out, that is one foxy finish.
Yup, I just checked mine and it is 10 lugs. I recommend this one if the OP wants an Artwood snare. MF ran a sale for $150 for a while, if you keep your eyes open I'd bet at some point they sell for that price again. I was fortunate enough to get mine for $120 cause the box was damaged and they sold it as a mint condition open box.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com