DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Default TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Interested in getting a new snare. Currently have a Tama superstar birch snare 14x5.5 and mapex M birch? 14x5.5. My tama snare has served me well but i'm looking for something that can give me a deeper sound.

The TAMA Soundworks Kapur in 14x6 or 13x7 are both very cheap at around $199. Does anyone have any experience with these drums? I've always wanted a 13x7 snare for a nice round, deep sound with some fatness, all while being relatively quiet.

OR

there's the new "limited edition" artwood snares which are maple/birch and they're dirt cheap at $130 in 14x6.5 size. These seem a little gimmicky in my opinion and seem like they're just trying to use the artwood name to sell some cheapos. The artwood has triple flanged hoops which i'm not too big of a fan of.

Looking for any input on either or both drums. I know the DW way is to keep giving your old equipment a chance but I'm overdue for a new snare as i've been slowly upgrading everything else.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: TAMA Snare: soundworks vs "LTD edition artwood"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinxIP View Post
Interested in getting a new snare. Currently have a Tama superstar birch snare 14x5.5 and mapex M birch? 14x5.5. My tama snare has served me well but i'm looking for something that can give me a deeper sound.

The TAMA Soundworks Kapur in 14x6 or 13x7 are both very cheap at around $199. Does anyone have any experience with these drums? I've always wanted a 13x7 snare for a nice round, deep sound with some fatness, all while being relatively quiet.

OR

there's the new "limited edition" artwood snares which are maple/birch and they're dirt cheap at $130 in 14x6.5 size. These seem a little gimmicky in my opinion and seem like they're just trying to use the artwood name to sell some cheapos. The artwood has triple flanged hoops which i'm not too big of a fan of.

Looking for any input on either or both drums. I know the DW way is to keep giving your old equipment a chance but I'm overdue for a new snare as i've been slowly upgrading everything else.
I have a Tama Artwood birch snare and I think it is really well made, nothing "cheapo" about it. Fat deep sound even when it is cranked up. It has a great lacquer finish and came new with Evans G1 heads.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I have a Tama Artwood birch snare and I think it is really well made, nothing "cheapo" about it. Fat deep sound even when it is cranked up. It has a great lacquer finish and came new with Evans G1 heads.
I know the artwood snares in the past have been great but these new artwood snares just don't seem to be the same. let me know what you think about this

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAMRSWBR
Old 02-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

I have this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...4MF-adType^PLA

They look like they have the same lugs but different badges, so they are not the same.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Wow. That red mahogany is gorgeous.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I have this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...4MF-adType^PLA

They look like they have the same lugs but different badges, so they are not the same.
Unless my eyes doth decieve me the pure Birch has 10 lugs. It looks like Tama is doing to the Artwood line what Pearl did to the Sensitones, adding a cheaper line under a similar name. The better Sensitones had "Elite" in the name. It caused a lot of confusion then and appearently Tama is causing a lot now. I have two of the older, 10 lug, Artwoods and they're great drums. Like GruntserDad pointed out, that is one foxy finish.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Gold Member

Well, adding my two cents. Look for a used Artwood Maple 14x6.5 or get an SLP G-Walnut 14x6.5. Those would really be an upgrade if you want a deeper sound, although that Superstar snare (which costs new somewhere around 240 Dollars) is really good if tuned well plus equipped with good heads and good snare-wires. I have one myself and it is a good allrounder that can be tuned quite low and very high.

Listen here for a good Superstar snare, equipped with good heads and good wires. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWaAdGwdzA
Old 02-06-2017, 01:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
Unless my eyes doth decieve me the pure Birch has 10 lugs. It looks like Tama is doing to the Artwood line what Pearl did to the Sensitones, adding a cheaper line under a similar name. The better Sensitones had "Elite" in the name. It caused a lot of confusion then and appearently Tama is causing a lot now. I have two of the older, 10 lug, Artwoods and they're great drums. Like GruntserDad pointed out, that is one foxy finish.
Yup, I just checked mine and it is 10 lugs. I recommend this one if the OP wants an Artwood snare. MF ran a sale for $150 for a while, if you keep your eyes open I'd bet at some point they sell for that price again. I was fortunate enough to get mine for $120 cause the box was damaged and they sold it as a mint condition open box.