DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM
HBCast HBCast is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
Default Which one would you pick?

Tama Starclassic Bubinga
vs.
Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite
vs.
Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
CreeplyTuna's Avatar
CreeplyTuna CreeplyTuna is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ≈ Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 669
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

The one that sounds best to me and/or in my sizes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Otto Otto is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,585
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

I prefer to not use woods where the specie is being taxed...

Bubinga is not on endangered lists...but it is on its way.

What I understand is that it is very dense...which you can mimic with other materials.(at least close enough were post production can achieve the rest of the tone quality)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

I see you're gonna blow your brains out over this decision. So we must go the brutal way: please post a video of your best playing so we can see if you'd do any of those kits justice. I get wanting top-flight drums but to me the talent level has to be there as well. If it isn't then it doesn't matter, nothing will help you sound better. But if you're a working pro then there are build issues that shouldn't be overlooked.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
HBCast HBCast is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I see you're gonna blow your brains out over this decision. So we must go the brutal way: please post a video of your best playing so we can see if you'd do any of those kits justice. I get wanting top-flight drums but to me the talent level has to be there as well. If it isn't then it doesn't matter, nothing will help you sound better. But if you're a working pro then there are build issues that shouldn't be overlooked.
I'm not a pro , but i think that i'm pretty good for my age and the time i've been playing (15 years old , playing for 4 years)
The kit i'm gonna buy is gonna serve me from now till who knows when. i'm planning to keep drumming even when i'm grown , just as a hobby.
so i want the kit i buy to be the best choice i can make , i want it to grow old with me haha
My playing level will obviously get better with the years , but right now i know that i'm willing to put that much money on the kit i buy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Bruce M. Thomson's Avatar
Bruce M. Thomson Bruce M. Thomson is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto,ON Canada
Posts: 1,152
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBCast View Post
I'm not a pro , but i think that i'm pretty good for my age and the time i've been playing (15 years old , playing for 4 years)
The kit i'm gonna buy is gonna serve me from now till who knows when. i'm planning to keep drumming even when i'm grown , just as a hobby.
so i want the kit i buy to be the best choice i can make , i want it to grow old with me haha
My playing level will obviously get better with the years , but right now i know that i'm willing to put that much money on the kit i buy.
I agree with you; why not get better on a good kit rather than a not so good one. Makes sense to me. Having said that the Elite is made in Japan and the others are made in China not to mention they look real fine. I would lean towards the Elite.
Good luck, Have Fun and Good Playing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I get wanting top-flight drums but to me the talent level has to be there as well.
Oh dear, perhaps I should donate my drums to you then Bo ;)

CB Pro series - here I come :)



I'm going to side with the OP here. If you can afford it, then buying quality as soon as possible is a much cheaper (& less hassle) route compared to multiple upgrade stages along the way. The only downside to that is deciding whether your ears are sufficiently tuned to making a choice you'll have to live with in the long term. That said, a high quality set is much more likely to please, & also be able to adapt to your changing sonic requirements.

My choice would be the Tama :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM
B_HALF19 B_HALF19 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 94
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

What I want to know is, how can a 15 year old afford any of these kits???
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Toolate Toolate is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 1,793
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Young guy sounds like he's got his head on straight.

What is it that makes the choice so hard? There isnt one you favor?

Just dont limit yourself from playing this or that over time. I might go with a 2 up 2 down setup so you could put it together any way you want later if you decide you dont like death metal and want to move on to country or something.

It also seems to me that setting up a kit should probably start with the size kick you want and then go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

I'll pick door #2 because it's the ____!
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 AM
can265 can265 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

After many years of not playing and not having a drum kit, I got a Tama starclassic b/b, 7 piece kit, Zildjian A customs..... the works. Ended up dropping about 8,500.00 bones. My money, my choice, and now I'm glad I did. I think it is great that you want advice, but you will find in the end, it will (and should) be what YOU want. .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBCast View Post
I'm not a pro , but i think that i'm pretty good for my age and the time i've been playing (15 years old , playing for 4 years)
The kit i'm gonna buy is gonna serve me from now till who knows when. i'm planning to keep drumming even when i'm grown , just as a hobby.
so i want the kit i buy to be the best choice i can make , i want it to grow old with me haha
My playing level will obviously get better with the years , but right now i know that i'm willing to put that much money on the kit i buy.
Perhaps you don't think like this yet, but there's not many of us here who buy one kit and stay that way. We either buy more and start a nice collection, or like me, I'm moving drums to get other drums. For me, drums are like clothes - after a while I want a new look or a new sound. Ironically, on all the recordings I've made over my lifetime, I've always sounded the same regardless of the set of drums.

I think you should get the kit that will make you want to play everyday.

Andy - you're a different case. Because you guys are working all the time, you need stuff that works (probably why I'm always playing pro-level drums). And I don't know what you're talking about - you sound good doing what you do. So shut up about being a talentless hack. You gotta give yourself credit more. Hell, I'm overestimating myself all the time ;)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
HBCast HBCast is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

The Thing is that my only opinion on each of these sets comes from youtube videos.
the room and place my drums will be in might not give me the same sound i want and i'm afraid to be disappointed if it sounds better in the video than for me...
plus , let's take the BB for example , i saw a video where i loved the sound (MemphisDrumShop , Rodney Holmes playing) and i also liked the one with Stephen Whiteside but there were a couple of videos which i didn't really like the sound of..and it's not because of a bad recording items or such.

and for the guy asking how i got that much money for a drumkit - well i'm not rich but it's the present that my parents are buying me for my birthday, and they said they could put in some extra money to make me happy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBCast View Post
The Thing is that my only opinion on each of these sets comes from youtube videos.
the room and place my drums will be in might not give me the same sound i want and i'm afraid to be disappointed if it sounds better in the video than for me...
plus , let's take the BB for example , i saw a video where i loved the sound (MemphisDrumShop , Rodney Holmes playing) and i also liked the one with Stephen Whiteside but there were a couple of videos which i didn't really like the sound of..and it's not because of a bad recording items or such.

and for the guy asking how i got that much money for a drumkit - well i'm not rich but it's the present that my parents are buying me for my birthday, and they said they could put in some extra money to make me happy.
With proper tuning (and really, with any good set of heads, and both the 100% bubinga and the b/b's come with good heads to begin with) either set will sound awesome. I owned both and made both sound great. You can too. Tama quality-control is really good. Might I suggest going with the B/B's and putting most of your money towards really good cymbals? You can't fix bad cymbals as easily as questionable drums. You didn't say what kind of cymbals you have (if any), and usually nobody budgets for a good set in the beginning. You'd also need a very good throne as you would be the heaviest part of the kit!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

Andy - you're a different case. Because you guys are working all the time, you need stuff that works (probably why I'm always playing pro-level drums).
I'm good Bo. I was just pulling your string with my last post ;) I'm off for a few days now - final inspection & testing a kit for a certain young lady :) I'll be back at the end of the week to bug you relentlessly ;) ;) ;)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I'm good Bo. I was just pulling your string with my last post ;) I'm off for a few days now - final inspection & testing a kit for a certain young lady :) I'll be back at the end of the week to bug you relentlessly ;) ;) ;)
Those must be for Grea? Test them good - she needs top flight drums to play!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,512
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Those must be for Grea? Test them good - she needs top flight drums to play!
Ha! It will be a buzz to have top notch drums although, as you said before, we usually just sound like ourselves whatever kit we have. I'm not planning on wrapping the Gurus in cotton wool like a museum piece - they'll be going out to practices and gigs like every other kit I've owned.

As for the OP, people say bubingas are good so I expect any of them would work out well.
__________________
Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
HBCast HBCast is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
With proper tuning (and really, with any good set of heads, and both the 100% bubinga and the b/b's come with good heads to begin with) either set will sound awesome. I owned both and made both sound great. You can too. Tama quality-control is really good. Might I suggest going with the B/B's and putting most of your money towards really good cymbals? You can't fix bad cymbals as easily as questionable drums. You didn't say what kind of cymbals you have (if any), and usually nobody budgets for a good set in the beginning. You'd also need a very good throne as you would be the heaviest part of the kit!
The cymbals i'm probbably getting are all zildjian but i might make a few changes:
zildjian a custom 17" crash
hi hat light k 14
ride armand 20
crash constantinopole 18
i'm pretty sure that those cymbals are high quality.
But as i said before , i've seen videos where the bubinga sounds great and videos where it sounds bad , same for the BB , so how can i choose?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBCast View Post
The cymbals i'm probbably getting are all zildjian but i might make a few changes:
zildjian a custom 17" crash
hi hat light k 14
ride armand 20
crash constantinopole 18
i'm pretty sure that those cymbals are high quality.
But as i said before , i've seen videos where the bubinga sounds great and videos where it sounds bad , same for the BB , so how can i choose?
I think you should flip a coin then.

BTW - I have YouTube videos of my playing both my Bubinga Elites and my B/B black oysters with simple miking set-ups. Have you seen those? People have told me they sound great. You'd probably be surprised they don't sound that different ;) Search for "Matt Eder" or "Bo Eder" and find my channel on YouTube. They're up there. Warts in my playing and all.

So you actually have money for the cymbals too? That's cool.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Ha! It will be a buzz to have top notch drums although, as you said before, we usually just sound like ourselves whatever kit we have. I'm not planning on wrapping the Gurus in cotton wool like a museum piece - they'll be going out to practices and gigs like every other kit I've owned.

As for the OP, people say bubingas are good so I expect any of them would work out well.
It would be a shame to not use the Gurus to their fullest. That wouldn't be fair to the drums! Post pics when you get them ;)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
HBCast HBCast is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I think you should flip a coin then.

BTW - I have YouTube videos of my playing both my Bubinga Elites and my B/B black oysters with simple miking set-ups. Have you seen those? People have told me they sound great. You'd probably be surprised they don't sound that different ;) Search for "Matt Eder" or "Bo Eder" and find my channel on YouTube. They're up there. Warts in my playing and all.

So you actually have money for the cymbals too? That's cool.
Wow you're right they do sound alike.
I think i will go with the BB Also because it's cheaper and also because there isn't much difference.
i just hope i can tune them just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8it5bHFegY
i want it too sound exactly the same haha
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBCast View Post
Wow you're right they do sound alike.
I think i will go with the BB Also because it's cheaper and also because there isn't much difference.
i just hope i can tune them just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8it5bHFegY
i want it too sound exactly the same haha
Well Rodney Holmes has spoken! Good choice.

Be aware that he was in a nice recording room, with probably two very expensive overhead mics going into an equally expensive recording console. But I've gotten mine to sound close to that too. I wish I could play like Rodney, though ;)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
HBCast HBCast is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 22
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well Rodney Holmes has spoken! Good choice.

Be aware that he was in a nice recording room, with probably two very expensive overhead mics going into an equally expensive recording console. But I've gotten mine to sound close to that too. I wish I could play like Rodney, though ;)
Which one did you like better? The BB or the Elite?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,870
Default Re: Which one would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBCast View Post
Which one did you like better? The BB or the Elite?
From a bang for your buck perspective, the B/B kit. And I like the color a lot more ;).
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com