DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Default making the best of a loss

I don't even know what to say......i was 5 days away from putting the deposit down on the drum set of my dreams.tama hyperdrive ( don't judge me , i love the sound of those short stacks lol) 10,12,13,16,18, toms 14 x5.5 snare and dual 18x22 bass drums, rack, the whole nine yards. i got the call from my landlord the other night, the house im renting is being sold. not only that but the only place i could find is an apt with extremly strict sound rules. so not only can i no longer play the acoustic set i already own , but the cost of moving has kneecapped my purchase of my new kit.

tips? advice? hell something to just make me feel better i don't care.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: making the best of a loss

Try mesh heads. They are really quiet and should be fine even with neighbors. In fact, most TV's (especially surround sound systems) give off more volume than mesh heads.

You will need to change back to regular heads when you play with a band.

Jeff
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM
plangentmusic

Ask yourself -- will you regret getting those drums a year from now? If not, get them. And work out the practicing somewhere else. That's as good a reason to join a band as any.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

That's crappy news. Sorry to hear it. Yeah, the mesh heads are a good way to go. I did that when I wanted to be nice to my neighbors and I could practice all night if I wanted to (I own a house). Now I'm just not nice to my neighbors ;)

And I don't judge you. Those drums you want are great. If they do it for you, that's all that matters.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangentmusic View Post
Ask yourself -- will you regret getting those drums a year from now? If not, get them. And work out the practicing somewhere else. That's as good a reason to join a band as any.
i am in a band actually, my house was the jam space. no other band member had a place we could play(because of sound problems) and so far practice spaces for rent are out of the question. our town is not condusive to loud noises.

sorry if that sounded snippy im just really frustrated right now, i just got over a drumming wall and was on top of the world. now i feel like i might cry. its the only thing that ive ever excelled at and ill miss it so much. i know its not permanent/gonna kill me if i don't do it, but damn im one sad drummer right now.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM

I don't have any solutions to your problem, but I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. I hope it can all get figured out as quickly as possible.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM

All I can say is I am in the same boat and it sucks. Lost my house and band practice space. I like in a shoe with my little Ekit and finally got a band back together and we practice in a garage.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Gold Member

How long until you have to leave the house you're currently in? Can you seriously not find anything other than the apartment?

I can't play drums in my house, so I rent a storage unit up the road. I can't wait until I own my own place and play my drums whenever I want.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Renegade

Most of my adult life has been spent in places where I couldn't make noise. Some very fine pro players practice on them.

Plain old practice pads are a cheap option ... why pay a fortune to sound like sheet? Also, pads don't give you false rewards like e-kits. Nowhere near as good as a real kit, of course, but you don't strike me as a jazz ballad brush sweeping kinda guy unless you've had a recent personality transplant :)

Pads are less hassle than mesh heads unless you have a dedicated kit or you have a Roland with the sound off - both good options IMO.

Pads are quieter than mutes and you can leave you kit packed up and ready to go.

My 2c
Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysnare View Post
I don't even know what to say......i was 5 days away from putting the deposit down on the drum set of my dreams.tama hyperdrive ( don't judge me , i love the sound of those short stacks lol) 10,12,13,16,18, toms 14 x5.5 snare and dual 18x22 bass drums, rack, the whole nine yards. i got the call from my landlord the other night, the house im renting is being sold. not only that but the only place i could find is an apt with extremly strict sound rules. so not only can i no longer play the acoustic set i already own , but the cost of moving has kneecapped my purchase of my new kit.

tips? advice? hell something to just make me feel better i don't care.
You are going to hate this story ...Years ago we were lucky to find a practice space in a warehouse in Regina. We had about 2500 square feet. We paid $200 per month and signed a one year lease we later renewed. We could practice 24/7. While not the greatest acoustics, it was OUR place.

Keep looking. I hope you are as lucky as we were. Good luck.

GJS
Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Agreed, try to find a cheap warehouse or something in town that your band can rent to practice in. My brother lives in crowded Boston and so his band just rents a cheap basement to leave their gear and practice in. Much easier (and cheaper) for everyone than trying to find a drum friendly rental in the city.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulmoski View Post
...we were...in Regina.
You went from Regina to Abu Dhabi?! Permanently?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
...the only place i could find is an apt with extremly strict sound rules.
That sucks. But Iím not sure itís legal. Sound levels, at least in Ontario, are covered by municipal by-laws. I donít think landlords can override that sort of thing just because they feel like it.

Then again, if you push for your legal rights, the landlord may well stick it to you in some other way.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheMonkey View Post
Agreed, try to find a cheap warehouse or something in town that your band can rent to practice in. My brother lives in crowded Boston and so his band just rents a cheap basement to leave their gear and practice in. Much easier (and cheaper) for everyone than trying to find a drum friendly rental in the city.
hey thanks for the tip but theres nothing like that here in north battleford, saskatchewan, canada. unless you have a house in this town your pretty much boned. until the situation changes ive made up my mind to start playing guitar while whistfully staring at the stack of beautiful,loud,shiny drums sitting in the corner of my soon to be crappy quiet apt.

sorry guys theres not much to cheer me up, this whole thing was just me wallowing,. kind of a waste of a thread but its nice to know some people care/feel my pain.

trust me come hell or high water i will find a way to play again soon.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Renegade

Quote:
ive made up my mind to start playing guitar
Great idea. I imagine most of us are the type of person who needs a creative outlet. When I've not been playing drums I've been writing (prose), writing music, sequencing, playing keys, doing digital art and cartoons, having a nervous breakdown ... all scratching the creative itch.

Have you played much guitar before? I tried to learn half heartedly for about 15 years and got nowhere. It's just not me.

Whatever, Joey, it's clearly time to turn the lemons into lemonade. Later on you'll find that playing a tuned instrument will have helped your drumming in subtle ways you won't expect. Go for it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

Mini storage unit! Every town has one.Most towns have 100 of them.