DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 AM

Default MM in Jazz Performance

Im thinking of getting my Masters degree in Jazz performance from either Manhattan School of Music, Julliard or Rutgers U. Has anyone attended any of these programs and have anything to say about any of them, good ,bad, or indifferent?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: MM in Jazz Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone68 View Post
Im thinking of getting my Masters degree in Jazz performance from either Manhattan School of Music, Julliard or Rutgers U. Has anyone attended any of these programs and have anything to say about any of them, good ,bad, or indifferent?
Are you killin? Like a badd badd dude? Thats a tough list man. Ive got some friends getting their master's degrees at Manhattan, and I know people who went to Rutgers. Never really heard negative stuff about Manhattan, other than the crazy high tuition rates.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Where did you get your bachelors at? Just curious.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

That subject line is a phrase that always scares the hell out of me- I just see a life-taking high five- or six-figure student loan bill. Kenny Washington is at Julliard, Victor Lewis is at Rutgers, and John Riley is at MSM, so I don't see how you can go wrong as far as your education is concerned. I personally would just pick the place that will give me a scholarship, and failing that just move to New York and study with them privately. Get into the field and start making music.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
I did, but it was many years ago, before they even considered drumset as a viable instrument, so I played orchestral snare, timps and various percussion.

Education is never regretted, but it depends on what you're expecting out of it. If you want to teach, it's essential. If you just want to get better and gig, it isn't.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I got my bachelors from Berklee quite a while ago and have been making a living as a drummer in the NJ area for several years. I actually was accepted into the program at Manhattan in the mid nineties, but chose to go on the road with a touring band, figuring I could always go back to school. I have an opportunity now to finally go back. Something Ive always wanted to do. I realize getting college teaching gigs are extremely difficult, but there are several community colleges in my area which of course require masters degrees to teach at. All the programs look good , and all of them have great teachers, just wondering if anyone has been in any of them. Below is my website and a quick youtube clip of my playing. Check it out if you have a chance

www.tomcottone.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILuIY_4-_6c
Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. I got my bachelors from Berklee quite a while ago and have been making a living as a drummer in the NJ area for several years. I actually was accepted into the program at Manhattan in the mid nineties, but chose to go on the road with a touring band, figuring I could always go back to school. I have an opportunity now to finally go back. Something Ive always wanted to do. I realize getting college teaching gigs are extremely difficult, but there are several community colleges in my area which of course require masters degrees to teach at. All the programs look good , and all of them have great teachers, just wondering if anyone has been in any of them. Below is my website and a quick youtube clip of my playing. Check it out if you have a chance

www.tomcottone.com

Hey Tom,

You sound great!

I am actually going to be going back for my masters next semester as well. I used two criteria to figure out if the school was good for me, did I like the teacher and how much would it cost. If you are going to have to go into a lot of debt to get a masters, I would strongly advise against it in almost any situation. This is not a degree that will probably turn into a good stable/salaried job right away (except for some very unusual circumstances), so odds are you will be dealing with that debt for a while. I would also recommend trying to take a least one lesson/hanging out with the teachers at the schools you mentioned.

You seem like a smart and talented guy, so you probably know about this stuff already. If I were you I would want to get lessons with Kenny at Juliard even though I know he can be a real hard-ass. Kenny knows more about the history of jazz and how to play it than just about anyone alive, so if you can study with him and survive you will grow tremendously as a musician.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks Haredrums! Good advice. Where are you getting your Masters? Julliard is actually my first choice. To study with Kenny Washington would be great, although John Riley at Manhattan and Victor Lewis at Rutgers wouldnt be bad either! I wont be going into debt for this, have the finances worked out, but what you're saying makes total sense. Dont want to be repaying student loans for the rest of my life. Thanks for posting and for your advice and good luck with your masters!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Tom, your playing sounds really great! I have no advice about degrees, but since you sound as good as you do I am sure it will all go well! Best of luck with it all!
:-)

Quote:

www.tomcottone.com

Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks Haredrums! Good advice. Where are you getting your Masters? Julliard is actually my first choice. To study with Kenny Washington would be great, although John Riley at Manhattan and Victor Lewis at Rutgers wouldnt be bad either! I wont be going into debt for this, have the finances worked out, but what you're saying makes total sense. Dont want to be repaying student loans for the rest of my life. Thanks for posting and for your advice and good luck with your masters!
Hi Tom,

I live in DC and I am going to be getting my masters from the University of Maryland. The teacher there is a great drummer and vibraphonist named Chuck Redd. Thanks, you too!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Pioneer Member

You ARE killin! Dang man, so relaxed. Excellent. I know that Julliard is exceptionally limited in terms of acceptance, isnt it like 1 or 2 people per instrument per year? So thats kinda gnarly. BUT they pay for everything if you get into the jazz program, if Im not mistaken. What kind of stuff do you like to play? I just saw the solo clips, but what do you wanna get into? Are you looking for something more traditional and rigid, or something a little more exploratory. I too am currently looking at grad schools. However, Id like to go somewhere where I could stretch out a bit and get into all sorts of stuff beyond what you might call jazz (the improvised music realm). So I personally am looking into the New England Conservatory, CalArts, and University of Michigan.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:

www.tomcottone.com

great playing Tom

where in Jersey are you ?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys! Gvdadrummasum, I live in central New Jersey in the Princeton area. Are you in Jersey too? Brittc89, I too am in more exploratory types of music. I love straight ahead, big band and electric jazz (Pat Metheny,John Scofield) but also dig stuff like Chris Potter and Wayne Krantz fusiony (for lack of a better term) type stuff All the schools you mentioned sound great. I know New England conservatory is excellent (had some friends that went there) and have heard good things about Cal Arts. Good luck with your Masters!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words guys! Gvdadrummasum, I live in central New Jersey in the Princeton area. Are you in Jersey too?
I am

Berkeley Heights which is in Union county
near Newark, Summit, Elizabeth....that area

Id love to come see you play.

PM me with some dates when you get a chance
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM

Ahh yes I know the area. I used to live in Millburn. Im playing in Princeton tonight, but Ill let you know when im in your area. Look forward to meeting you sometime.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Ahh yes I know the area. I used to live in Millburn. Im playing in Princeton tonight, but Ill let you know when im in your area. Look forward to meeting you sometime.
absolutely brother .....

yeah Millburn is like 20 minutes from me
Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I went to school at William Paterson for a while. Do you know Julia Brav? I believe she was from Princeton.