Firestudio Project Drum submixer

1Rhythmic

Hello fellas ,

I have very limited experience with recording , so i decided to ask some help here.
It's about the Firestudio Project.

What i want to do is
1) Recording
2) [Live] , use as drums submixer (sending the drums to the main mixer).

After reading about the "Project" , i just can't understand if it can be used as a submixer for my purpose. Could someone explain me how its done?

Here's the link : http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=43

1000 thanks!

Yep, that'll definately work for recording...just add your favorite DAW (Cakewalk Sonar, Pro Tools 9, Cubase, Reaper, etc - yes Pro Tools 9 full edition works with any interface, not just M-Audio or Avid stuff).

You're gonna need a computer to work this as a pre for your drums...then use the outputs from this (post-mix outputs) into your snake or whatever. You can eq, compress, etc from the computer before drum signal goes into PA.

Hey thanks for the information!! :)

One more question ,

The interface has 2 instrument inputs and 6 line in inputs.

Lets say we have a subkick , where do we plug it? In instrument input or line in?

Should i get a DI box?

Just don't want to cause any damage :)

Thanks again!!

So i should not bother with DI box?

DI box is designed to take an unbalanced signal (ie guitar or bass) and convert it to a balanced input.

With that interface, I do not see a need for ever using a DI box (unless you are simo recording two guitars and two basses not miced and direct into it). Save yourself the $30, you're good.

Subkick is a balanced output...all 8 XLRs are balanced, inputs 1&2 will also accept unbalanced signals (look for a switch to select between balanced/unbal for those two channels).

DI box is designed to take an unbalanced signal (ie guitar or bass) and convert it to a balanced input.

With that interface, I do not see a need for ever using a DI box (unless you are simo recording two guitars and two basses not miced and direct into it). Save yourself the $30, you're good.

Subkick is a balanced output...all 8 XLRs are balanced, inputs 1&2 will also accept unbalanced signals (look for a switch to select between balanced/unbal for those two channels).

I use a DI Box to boost the drums up on some of my drum tracks (I use two mics).
They sound great! But sometimes the audio shifts around. But oh well :)

The output of the cone. It generates a lot of current (relative to microphones) because of its sheer size. More current means more impedence, which means a hot signal.

Back